• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I know he's gone and I've come to accept that there isn't really a high chance of him coming back as dlc(Though I'll still support it) but I feel like this article isn't real. I'm still going to try and buy this game day 1 on wii u.
The fact that this article's source has to remain anonymous is really suspicious. It's not like Konami or Kojima could get in trouble talking about it.(If they can though, then feel free to correct me and let me know.) What would make me believe it is if they told me who this "Source" was. I also find it hard to believe that Sakurai would just automatically decide to throw away a character like that without having some serious discussion. The only 2 reasons I see he would be cut is: A. Nintendo did not want to get the rights B. Snake is one time deal, though it seems like from this "Source"s comment they tried to talk about him returning to game, otherwise how would they know that he decided that snake wouldn't be in the game right from the beginning? And if Sakurai had the balls to say no now, why didn't he say it to him during melee or brawl? Unless of course, he changed his view on snake, though he rarely has changed his view on character for the negative, mostly for the positive.
The only thing this thing has going for it is a major site decided to post it or something, but then again, it's ****ing fox news lol.
If snake is cut and is not intended to be dlc, then I see it as rights issue, I don't believe Sakurai wouldn't straight out cut a character without some serious discussion.

D

Deleted member

Seems contradictory, indeed. Sakurai says he wants to bring as many characters back as possible but drops the possibility of Snake even before the games started development? Doesn't make much sense to me.
The fact that we got more cuts than Brawl also bothers me. Considering Sakurai's promise to bring back as many characters as possible back at E3 2013, I didn't expect anyone other than Snake to be axed. Granted, like almost all people, I did underestimate how much of a factor the 3DS limitation would be, but I still feel as we've seen too many cuts in this game for me to feel he made good on his promise to bring back as many characters as possible.

Personally I would have been willing to trade Mii Fighters for Lucas and Wolf (although I am not claiming X character took my favorite characters spot), but at this point, all we can do is wait patiently for the possibility of DLC/a new version. I'm also hoping that we get a new version on the New 3DS (and a Wii U version in conjunction with that) so that Ice Climbers can also come back.
I'm not too upset about Snake being cut, though. Yes, he had a very unique moveset and he was one of my favorite characters to play as. His inclusion was great and opened the door to third party characters in this series.

However, the fact he is third party makes him less likely to return than any other veteran.

It's entirely possible that the higher-ups at Nintendo stopped Snake's inclusion in this Smash, given the current business relationship between Nintendo and Konami.

Despite Sakurai being an independent/freelance developer, him working with Nintendo proprieties makes him dependent on Nintendo's decisions about the game. If Nintendo says no to Snake in Smash 4, Sakurai has no choice but to comply.

Similar arguments can be made regarding the inclusion of Pokémon characters, with The Pokémon Company having a word on the content it gets included.
I could see that being a contributing factor towards his exclusion. I don't think that Sakurai would just exclude Snake because he doesn't want him back. There has to be a better reason for the exclusion and I don't feel as Fox Weekly gave us what we all wanted to hear (why Snake was excluded). So this explanation is plausible, although I will admit to not being familiar between Konami and Nintendo's current relationship.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fact that we got more cuts than Brawl also bothers me. Considering Sakurai's promise to bring back as many characters as possible back at E3 2013, I didn't expect anyone other than Snake to be axed. Granted, like almost all people, I did underestimate how much of a factor the 3DS limitation would be, but I still feel as we've seen too many cuts in this game for me to feel he made good on his promise to bring back as many characters as possible.
3DS limitations, time constraints and such got in the way of doing stuff. It sucks, but that's how things are.

Handheld Smash is still great, though, but I suppose everything has its price.

Personally I would have been willing to trade Mii Fighters for Lucas and Wolf (although I am not claiming X character took my favorite characters spot), but at this point, all we can do is wait patiently for the possibility of DLC/a new version. I'm also hoping that we get a new version on the New 3DS (and a Wii U version in conjunction with that) so that Ice Climbers can also come back.I could see that being a contributing factor towards his exclusion. I don't think that Sakurai would just exclude Snake because he doesn't want him back. There has to be a better reason for the exclusion and I don't feel as Fox Weekly gave us what we all wanted to hear (why Snake was excluded). So this explanation is plausible, although I will admit to not being familiar between Konami and Nintendo's current relationship.
If character DLC is a thing, I'd think Wolf, Lucas and Mewtwo are the likeliest choices.

The Ice Climbers are a bit more complicated given the 3DS limitations. I don't know if you already know this, but on his Famitsu column, Sakurai admitted they couldn't make the Ice Climbers work on the handheld version.

Of course, the Wii U would have handled them perfectly. On the column, Sakurai also states that he is aware that people are worried about the cut characters.

Here's the link, by the way: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah. Just wanna cry as soon as I look at it.
I hope snake fans reach out to kojima (kojima may make things happen), I will miss his trap style so much. Snake needs to be able to codec all these characters and c4 pacman. Hopefully Jones's effort will work because its really awful sakurai didnt even take the time to consider those fans. Why add a character at all if your just going to throw them away in the garbage.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I didn't expect him to make it. The main reason he was in Brawl was because of Kojima. People are saying that Duck Hunt's play style is highly reminiscent of Snake's. Can anyone confirm?

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Even in the event of executive meddling it would be a bit foolish of Nintendo not to at least consider Snake as DLC even if they have to split the revenue with Konami. Snake is a very popular video game character, who was already designed in the previous game. He'd probably bring in much more than most Nintendo characters that they'd release as DLC.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I've never play PM. How do you play it?
You buy a 2gb SD Card and follow the instructions on http://projectmgame.com/en/ to put it on the card. (its very easy, you can also customize the music by replacing brstm files) Have a brawl disc and you are good to go. Its easily the best smash atm and its not even done they are constantly taking feedback for balance and are working on bonus content as we speak.

The balance is great and almost all the characters are great fun. (I hate zelda's design tho but thats another story)

I didn't expect him to make it. The main reason he was in Brawl was because of Kojima. People are saying that Duck Hunt's play style is highly reminiscent of Snake's. Can anyone confirm?
Duck Hunt has a trap and projectiles but the functionality of each is so so different.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
You buy a 2gb and follow the instructions on http://projectmgame.com/en/ to put it on the card. (its very easy, you can also customize the music by replacing brstm files) Have a brawl disc and you are good to go. Its easily the best smash atm and its not even done they are constantly taking feedback for balance and are working on bonus content as we speak.

The balance is great and almost all the characters are great fun. (I hate zelda's design tho but thats another story)

Duck Hunt has a trap and projectiles but the functionality of each is so so different.
Ah I see. Thank you, I'm most appreciative

D

Deleted member

If character DLC is a thing, I'd think Wolf, Lucas and Mewtwo are the likeliest choices.

The Ice Climbers are a bit more complicated given the 3DS limitations. I don't know if you already know this, but on his Famitsu column, Sakurai admitted they couldn't make the Ice Climbers work on the handheld version.

Of course, the Wii U would have handled them perfectly. On the column, Sakurai also states that he is aware that people are worried about the cut characters.

Here's the link, by the way: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/
Honestly, since he made the Ice Climbers work on the Wii U version, he should have just kept them on it instead of being so rigid on his "no difference between the 3DS and Wii U versions" roster. Still, I'm glad Sakurai is in tune with our concerns with cut characters; especially since he's had to put up with the ESRB leak.

That being said, I really do think that Ice Climbers are going to come back in an updated version of SSB 3DS & Wii U. According to listing, there's a "Smash 6" that's being develop for release in 2015. The New 3DS is coming out in 2015 worldwide and to help sell it, getting an updated Smash is a great way to do it. Since we know Ice Climbers were planned until likely very late in development, Sakurai clearly had a hard time letting them go. The New 3DS is a more powerful hardware and we know that Smash 3DS is getting content exclusive towards playing it on the New 3DS).

This makes me think that we're in for an expansion for 2015 and that Ice Climbers are coming back in a Super Smash Bros. New 3DS and updated Wii U game. vaanrose can explain this in better details than I can, but you can always talk to him in the Leak group.

Last edited by a moderator:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
When you look at our newcomers we have
:4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm:/:4robinf::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit:, Bowser Jr/Koopalings, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, DHD

Greninja had low requests.
Mii fighters had meh requests
Pac Man had middling requests
Robin had low requests
Rosalina had low requests
Villager had low requests
WFT had nearly zero requests
No one wanted a Dr. Mario as a full character
Dark Pit had extremely low requests (even Magnus was more popular)
DHD had low requests (compared to other retro characters, cough Takamaru)

When you look at the clones from previous games, you get Falco, Ganondorf, TL. The latter two have no real excuse for being clones still.

You look at our cut characters/non returning ones, you get
:icsmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::ivysaur::lucas::snake::squirtle::wolf:

The most requested characters for Smash 4 not in the game (these two are leaps and bounds ahead)
Ridley
King K. Rool

Out of all of these, the only two that no one wanted to return was Pichu and Young Link.

A lot of the Smash 4 characters are better off replaced with some of these. The Clone Trinity can hit the road (Lucina become a skin with more feminine grunts, Doc become a skin with Pills replacing Fireballs and Defibs replacing fsmash DP become a skin with Silver Bow instead of Palutena Bow and deeper grunts). Greninja really should have just been swapped with a significantly more popular pokemon (Mewtwo). Miis and PT had the same amount of work put into them, so you can ditch Miis (whats even more pathetic about them is that you can't even use 'em online, so I can't even go Riley Freeman on y'all online). Pac Man hits the road for Snake, Lucas returns, Roy becomes the 4th Fire Emblem character with a decloned moveset, ICs return. Oh yeah Rosalina can leave too, Mario is over populated. KKRool in DK and Ridley in Metroid. Wolf returning too.

And there, you have a roster with signifcantly more starpower, returning Brawl vets, Mewtwo/Roy, and you still have your surprise WFT, Villager, DHD, etc.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Honestly, since he made the Ice Climbers work on the Wii U version, he should have just kept them on it instead of being so rigid on his "no difference between the 3DS and Wii U versions" roster. Still, I'm glad Sakurai is in tune with our concerns with cut characters; especially since he's had to put up with the ESRB leak.
Yeah, it's frustrating, I admit, but I find it understandable nonetheless.

That being said, I really do think that Ice Climbers are going to come back in an updated version of SSB 3DS & Wii U. According to listing, there's a "Smash 6" that's being develop for release in 2015. The New 3DS is coming out in 2015 worldwide and to help sell it, getting an updated Smash is a great way to do it. Since we know Ice Climbers were planned until likely very late in development, Sakurai clearly had a hard time letting them go. The New 3DS is a more powerful hardware and we know that Smash 3DS is getting content exclusive towards playing it on the New 3DS).
Sakurai has tried as hard as possible to bring everyone back, but game development is anything but smooth.

Ideas not on the original plans may be thrown in during development and likewise, others are dropped on the process.

I'm not sure if I would like an expansion like that, but I'd buy it anyway. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a fighting game did that.

A possibility is that an updated Smash for New 3DS will be released and all the extra content there is DLC for the Wii U version.

This makes me think that we're in for an expansion for 2015 and that Ice Climbers are coming back in a Super Smash Bros. New 3DS and updated Wii U game. vaanrose can explain this in better details than I can, but you can always talk to him in the Leak group.
Well, I think it's a matter of waiting and seeing what will happen.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There was miiverse debug menu leak on the wii u which listed a metal gear solid game. Maybe Konami and Nintendo were in talks at one point and one of the two pulled of the deal out causing snake to get cut? This leak happened in 2012, so is it plausible?

Well this sucks.

The third party line up for this game is garbo. Sonic sucks, Pac-man's only value derives from an old arcade game and steals bits from other Namco games and Megaman is ok, but Megaman X utterly ****s on OG Megaman, but that's just me.

I still have faith. This story sounds like that bull**** Capcom said about Strider not being in Marvel vs Capcom 3, or the GameCube controller not being an option for Smash 4, or that Nintendo never planned on making a second stick for the 3DS.

I remained faithful for all of that, so I'm just going to wait until I see it for myself. If they can put Link and Animal Crossing in Mario Kart, Snake can possibly get another shot. This game is a huge money grab; just remember that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I find the story hard to believe.

But he wasn't a "3rd party choice" anyway. He did open the series up for it overall, so him being cut is ironic. But still. It is what it is and I wasn't surprised by the cut. Read my earlier reason, but he was a one-time favor simply asked. The favor is up.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
It's sad for Snake to be cut...he was a very unique character....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, I find the story hard to believe.

But he wasn't a "3rd party choice" anyway. He did open the series up for it overall, so him being cut is ironic. But still. It is what it is and I wasn't surprised by the cut. Read my earlier reason, but he was a one-time favor simply asked. The favor is up.
I can completely understand it being a favor. But this is Smash Bros. You've exposed the fanbase to a big time character, and there's going to be backlash when you basically don't care about the fans of the character.

Sakurai basically likes to add characters for longevity of their inclusion. He doesn't want to add a character for a quick fix, and I don't see why Snake would be cut. He's a generally loved video game character. He was one of the best designed characters. It's a shame.

I am surely looking biased, I know. But this was a mistake no matter how you look at it in my opinion. Especially when you consider who else got cut.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can completely understand it being a favor. But this is Smash Bros. You've exposed the fanbase to a big time character, and there's going to be backlash when you basically don't care about the fans of the character.

Sakurai basically likes to add characters for longevity of their inclusion. He doesn't want to add a character for a quick fix, and I don't see why Snake would be cut. He's a generally loved video game character. He was one of the best designed characters. It's a shame.

I am surely looking biased, I know. But this was a mistake no matter how you look at it in my opinion. Especially when you consider who else got cut.
I never said he should've been cut. Assuming Sakurai didn't do it because nobody asked, however, I think is a bad move. If Iwata/etc. forced it to never happen, that's reasonable enough. But fan demand was high. So we can conclude either A) Kojima's son was happy and didn't care, so Kojima never asked again or B) Nintendo intervened.

I don't buy the article, so I think we can rule it out he never considered it. Also, a new data dump appeared. It has the entire Brawl list in the same order(but the files of characters who didn't come back were cut). So I do think he was considered/planned, but no incentive was given, so his priority was lower.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I hope your campaign is running smoothly

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Konami will not let Sakurai add Snake if Konami and Nintendo are not on good terms, and there is ****-all Sakurai OR Kojima can do about it. You want Snake back? You need to find a way to patch up relations between Konami and Nintendo. That's what you all gotta realize.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Konami will not let Sakurai add Snake if Konami and Nintendo are not on good terms, and there is ****-all Sakurai OR Kojima can do about it. You want Snake back? You need to find a way to patch up relations between Konami and Nintendo. That's what you all gotta realize.
I don't get this "Bad terms" stuff. When the roster was being decided, konami was making games for 3ds. Snake Eater came out in 2012, and mirror of fate came in 2013. If they were making games for nintendo 3ds, how exactly are they on "bad terms"?

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
I don't get this "Bad terms" stuff. When the roster was being decided, konami was making games for 3ds. Snake Eater came out in 2012, and mirror of fate came in 2013. If they were making games for nintendo 3ds, how exactly are they on "bad terms"?
**** if I know, just that Snake isn't on if Konami/Kojima/Nintendo doesn't want him to be.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
**** if I know, just that Snake isn't on if Konami/Kojima/Nintendo doesn't want him to be.
I think it had to with rights as well, mostly likely nintendo stopped it. I seriously doubt konami would be against snake in smash.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well Guys. The way Foxweekly described it was that. Sakurai doesn't care about the character.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I still don't understand why the source had to be anonymous, would he get in trouble for saying a character isn't going to be in them game?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still don't understand why the source had to be anonymous, would he get in trouble for saying a character isn't going to be in them game?
Yes, actually. If this was made ages ago, he can't leak any information. One of the Smash leakers got fired for the ERSB leak. Enough said.

The problem is the story being from Fox News is iffy. The rest isn't hard to believe. Sakurai never considered Snake outside of the requests. He said he didn't consider MegaMan either till before Smash 4. Sonic and Pac-Man were suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't consider any 3rd Party characters ever. And all were suggested to him. That's so far the case(suggestion part at least. Maybe he did consider a 3rd party, but we have know evidence of it).

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yes, actually. If this was made ages ago, he can't leak any information. One of the Smash leakers got fired for the ERSB leak. Enough said.

The problem is the story being from Fox News is iffy. The rest isn't hard to believe. Sakurai never considered Snake outside of the requests. He said he didn't consider MegaMan either till before Smash 4. Sonic and Pac-Man were suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't consider any 3rd Party characters ever. And all were suggested to him. That's so far the case(suggestion part at least. Maybe he did consider a 3rd party, but we have know evidence of it).
I guess we can't really say "sakurai would never do this.". I mean, I don't think it's right to just throw away character just like that without serious discussion, but then again, who's to say he didn't have a discussion over this?
It sounds like this information is outdated info, considering this guy who worked on snake in brawl said he won't be in smash 4, maybe snake was intended to be a "one time deal". I don't really agree with that though, but oh well.

But if this guys was trying to be anonymous, how did fox new verify if this guy is legit? Did they even verify if their source was legit?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess we can't really say "sakurai would never do this.". I mean, I don't think it's right to just throw away character just like that without serious discussion, but then again, who's to say he didn't have a discussion over this?
It sounds like this information is outdated info, considering this guy who worked on snake in brawl said he won't be in smash 4, maybe snake was intended to be a "one time deal". I don't really agree with that though, but oh well.

But if this guys was trying to be anonymous, how did fox new verify if this guy is legit? Did they even verify if their source was legit?
Fox News probably refused to list his name to protect their source. I do find that ironic, since they're good at being ***** to people. XD But that might've been the stipulation to getting the information.

I still think it's fake.

Booster

Smash Lord
Terrible decision to cut him and his world, Solid Snake being in the game helped to sell copies, he was even one of the main reasons to buy the game for some people.

Top Bottom