• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I dunno why some people are suddenly crapping on @Serebii , he's not being payed to cover this up he just runs a really good Pokemon website.
People now **** on every people with connection with Nintendo or insiders just because....I dunno....?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I mean, if people are going to overhype themselves and then hate on a character I like just because of disappointment that they created, it can kinda be a big deal.

Speaking hypothetically, not that Smash fandom has a track record of doing such a thing.
I just hope that, if this is false, people can put their time and energy in a productive manner similar to what BKupa666 BKupa666 did.

oh and also quick footnote is every time a roster had it's 'ending characters' i always liked one of them lol.
loved wolf in brawl
BJ+koopalings were great in smash 4
and if incineroar is really in, even w/o the others, imma love him

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I am the original uploader of the video, and yeah this be the truth, you couldn’t escape that green **** eating smirk all over the con. Still found it hilarious to see the him laying around Nintendo’s booth of all places though!
Huh, that's interesting, I don't remember Illumination ever marketing something that it'd be literally everywher-

Oh.

Oh no.

minion baby.jpg

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Not when there’s evidence the guy is being impersonated. The fact that he’s not even working at the company he’s supposedly leaking from is a step up from “dude was disgruntled at his job and leaked the banner.” Occam’s Razor is not the answer here; it’s so much too complex to be explained so simply.
BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT COMPANY THIS WAS TAKEN FROM OMFG. And as far as we know, it seems to be in the APC company where he actually is, so that aligns well, so what? Who the **** is hypothesising and then saying "is too hard to explain".

Evidence. I want evidence. You sure are entitled to tell me that i'm the one making false hypothesis.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Why would the leaker edit out the mouth rather than just use the render he readily has access to?

I know you think it’s fake, but this doesn’t prove anything. To me, it seems like the mouth isn’t visible because of the glare on the plastic.
To fake it as the Grinch's back. The mouth sould have been visible despite the glare on the plastic, because it's long enough to continue even after the white gloss, and if the artwork was official the fur wouldn't have been cut that badly.
Seriously, there is evidence that the artwork has been edited, how is it possible that people still think it's legit.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Pack it up boys. It's just that the London Comic Con is partner with the Grinch movie, even GameExplain's Press Card was Grinch Themed

Source
Wait why pack it up? That's an absolute ridiculous coincidence man. We don't know the connection, but our ONE GOOD LEAK has Grinch material in it, of all things.

To just say "nah" after this is bewildering

Last edited:

Chrono.

Brawl ended on Olimar.
Smash 4 ended on Shulk and his reveal was in a Japan-only direct.

Going out on a "whimper" is nothing new.

The thing with Smash 4 is that they ended on a "whimper" but revealed Mewtwo as DLC right before Wii U came out, undoing any "whimper" it might've had.

And I firmly believe that'll be the case again, """underwhelming""" final base roster character with hype DLC frontrunner.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Maybe it's because I'm looking at it like a Smash fan, but why would they put Banjo and Geno on it and still have more to reveal? Those two seem like big deal characters. I mean, final reveals aren't hype all the time and whatever and Incineroar is still big being a cool Pokemon but like, who would top Banjo? Master Chief? Zack Fair? It's just weird to me.
Welcome to every past Smash reveal cycle then. Smash reveals have never ended on what's supposedly the biggest reveal.

Heck, if you were to ask me. I'd find Phoenix Wright objecting to things supposedly final to be a fitting conclusion.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not holding my breath or anything but it would be cool to have him with Simon.
But if we do get Ryu Hayabusa instead, I'll take this track too, thank you.

I pretty much have my entire account based on him at this point.

Last edited:

Smartiicals

Smash Cadet
Upon even further inspection, Shadow The Hedgehog was renewed on the same date as mach rider bringing our trademark list to this now.

Golden Sun: Sept 14th, 2018
Rhythm Heaven: Sept 14 2018
Banjo-Kazooie : Sept 9th, 2018
Mach Rider: May 11th 2018
Shadow The Hedgehog: May 11th 2018

JellieBomb

Smash Rookie
So despite all the twists and turns going on for the past few days, I want to ask this:
How would you guys feel about getting a potential Dragalia Lost character for DLC?
I doubt it would even happen, but hey at least it’d allow for someone along the lines of Tiki to get in.

Even though I’d probably prefer her much more..
I'm digging the game and wouldn't mind some representation. Although, Euden is the main character and a fire-sword wielder., which we have already. If only he was any other weapon lol

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
With the killing edge, EVERYONE IS AN ANIME SWORDSMAN
:4pacman:

But no seriously, I’d start laughing my *** off if we get a Dragalia Lost character and everyone assumes they’re from FE.
Imagine the reactions.

"Seriously?! We already have Dragon Marth, now we need Blonde Dragon Marth?! What the ****?! The're simply too many generic-looking jerks with swords!"

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
A documentary about this would probably be wayyyyyy better than the actual Grinch Illumination will be
dr. seuss adaptations are almost always bad

can we please just get a ten apples up on top short animation or something

I dunno why some people are suddenly crapping on @Serebii , he's not being payed to cover this up he just runs a really good Pokemon website.
his site is <3 but the web design is </3

(i still should hit up Joe for him to do an interview on the site here or something)

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The E3 banner and the August banner do look alike, however the August banner lacks details when compared to the E3 banner, and looks awfully close to the leak's:
I don't know what this guy is talking about, since the castle is there on the E3 spread, you can see it better without the circle

https://smashboards.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fr99U24F.jpg&hash=701ac0da1f46fb904d68a765b162fad5

I do admit it is a lot more blurry than the final, but this is also supposedly the same banner that animates at E3 and the castle is clear there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgqOXaisBQw

But for the love of me I cannot find footage of the banner animating, does anybody have that? Where did the screencaps come from?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Theory crafting time: We've all collectively gone insane since the other day, and this is all a mass fever dream.

Clearly the only rational explanation for this madness.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It’s literally just one guy. At this point I suggest blocking them or ignoring them at this point.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
What if ACP-PLV was hired to make materials for "Comic-Con" or some other Nintendo/Grinch event?

I'd ASSUME individual companies (nintendo/illumination) separately hire individual places (ACP-PLV or someone else) to create promotional material but I literally no NOTHING of how that sort of business works so MAYBE entire events get ALL their marketing materials made in one place...

If thats the case the Grinch/Smash connection here actually could mean something to all this.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
This was probably achieved by taking the fighters from the existing banner and pasting them on to the leak, in which case it doesn't say anything about 'moving' the fighters. I believe the original poster noted that almost every fighter had to be manipulated in some way.
Still, with a blank Battlefield the leaker could potentially use that same "pasting" technique.
Yes but thats extremely time consuming and tedious task, As a digital artist, let me try to EXPLAIN is possible but would requires days even weeks of work:

-Even if you had the blank canvas, you would basically had to crop EVERY single character from the illustration that has them all. Or you would need access to the layered PSD file, of the ORIGINAL illustration and this is extremely unlikely since it would require the original artist/artists sharing the original file so would be almost impossible.

-Then clean those crops since the original illustration is extra busy and cluttered, we are talking of hours or even days of work (assuming you are a professional or a very good amateur). We are talking of 70 crops, 70 cleanups.

-At this rate we would have need about 3 MAJOR LAYERS/folders in photoshop: The blank battlefield, a carpet with ALL the 70 crops of the characters and another layer in between that needs to be created just for shadows.

-Then, positioning in a very meticulous way every single crop and adjusting the shadows accordingly, this would need a eagle eye precision and working with the original image side by side.

-You would need to prepare the render/illustrations of the newcomers in a way they have the same or a very similar artstyle to that one of smash (even tho is very tiny and pixelated so this could be kinda easy).

-Afterwards, youll require to position the renders/mockups/illustrations of the newcomers in a way they feel interactive with the rest of the roster, adjust their positioning and do final retouches to the file.

-Then printing this file in such a way that it makes sense as a decorative banner for the round adornments.

The staggering amount of work required to do that just to troll the internet, would be borderline maniac ( wouldnt be surprised tbh).

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Hey, I have respect for the guy, I'd just like to hear one single solid argument from him as to why he thinks the banner is fake. A "it's fake because it's fake guys lol" doesn't work for me.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
This only can end well if Sakurai appears with some Grinch stuff in the Direct.
I wouldn't be able of talk about anything else.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
You misquoted me but like I said, he was ******** about the work. You have to note these 2 screens come rom a larger video where he could be showing that new work arrived and **** nintendo, for all we know.

If he wanted to leak the roster he would have focused the armband, something people are ignoring heavily. He wasn't trying to have this leaked at first. Most of the planes are a rather general shot of his workplace, not from nintendo specific stuff.
You're telling me he sent a casual snap of his work space to his friend and it just happened to have never before seen art assets for one of the most talked about games of the year? That's totally absurd. Whether it's real or fake it was deliberate. You cannot say it wasn't.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Upon even further inspection, Shadow The Hedgehog was renewed on the same date as mach rider bringing our trademark list to this now.

It's nice that Golden Sun and RH were renewed on my 23rd birthday.
Thanks Nintendo!

It’s literally just one guy. At this point I suggest blocking them at this point. It’s no use humoring them.
t h a n k
y o u
a l s o

if i had to pick any other pet peeve it'd be the "why is everyone doing ___ in the thread" when one person is doing ___ in the thread

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

So that leaves Ken and Geno, of which shouldn't be retrademarked because Street Fighter 5 is fairly new and SMRPG was in the SNES mini.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
lol Some of y'all are way too concerned on how others hype themselves or whatever.

It's not a big deal.
Please stop hype policing.
You know, at this point I think it would be best if everyone took a breather and left the forum for a few hours or so, this is getting too much.

Besides, I'll soon be off to pick up Luigi's Mansion, so I can at least get a break from this.

Welcome to every past Smash reveal cycle then. Smash reveals have never ended on what's supposedly the biggest reveal.
Heck, if you were to ask me. I'd find Phoenix Wright objecting to things supposedly final to be a fitting conclusion.
Which is why I'm expecting a completely bonkers character for the final base reveal.

Please Sakurai, give me Diskun, Foreman Spike, Satebo & Parabo, Duke Nukem or whoever else! :estatic:

Last edited:

Chrono.

Oh ****...

Shadow the Hedgehog...

TWOOOO

4PiZ.gif

Pakky

Smash Hero
Theory crafting time: We've all collectively gone insane since the other day, and this is all a mass fever dream.

Clearly the only rational explanation for this madness.
I wish this fat green man from my sight

Fore his girth shall haunt my dreams tonight...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To fake it as the Grinch's back. The mouth sould have been visible despite the glare on the plastic, because it's long enough to continue even after the white gloss, and if the artwork was official the fur wouldn't have been cut that badly.
Seriously, there is evidence that the artwork has been edited, how is it possible that people still think it's legit.
If you say so. I completely disagree.

Why would the leaker delete the mouth, and make the fur less detailed...that’s literally more work than just reusing available art, and for what purpose? To make people think it’s his back?

All for a Smash leak?

That isn’t going to make it fake my dude. Even if it is fake, this particular point doesn’t do it.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

All we need is ken and Shadow...
The grinch being everywhere is weird even without the leak. Why is it so big?
Illumination markets the heck out of their films...
They are the studio who made the Minions, after all

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

y'know if this is fake I gotta applaud them for putting the work into it. They really put the legwork into this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom