• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the most logical explanation is that the event being held is giving promotional movie posters to the vendors to help market the upcoming film. However, I'm not gonna lie, it is really weird that this is happening right now, and more specifically, it's really weird where this was found. Uncanny. I almost can't believe it.

This is some incredible tier-level of trolling, or there's a wild conspiracy going on, and we're all caught up in this insane whirlpool with no end in sight.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying that Trademark renewals always mean something, I'm saying that they could in this particular case, given the circumstances of the Golden Sun and Banjo renewals don't seem to be entirely normal and there is a past precedence of a character getting trademarked before debuting in Smash.

Is there any particular reason to think something should come of the Wario Land and Eternal Darkness renewals?
Full disclosure I am not super well-versed in IP law but most of the time it comes down to brand protection. They don't want logos and names for their IPs being attributed to unrelated material, same as all other companies.
It could mean something, and you're right when you say there's precedent, but it's far more likely to just be normal legal operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason a lot of people are aggressively deadset on it being real is because it has what they want. This thread's seen it before, a good example being "Bandana Dee, a character who's almost always had a spear in his hands, is a Kirby echo despite Waddle Dees not having rock stuff. Banjo's in though" and, infamously after ESRB, Tower of Smash. Anyone remember that one?

beans

Smash Lord
Isn't Illumination the studio that's supposedly making the Mario animated movie? I guess it's not too far off to assume that they'd be pretty chummy now. Things just keep adding up.
This is something that I was about to say.
Since Illumination, the animators of the Grinch movie, are making the Mario movie, it wouldnt be reall weird if they shared a (advertising, papers, i don freaking know) company?
But thats just a hypothesis

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 172332

So, you’re going to argue that a hypothetical scenario is evidence?

Are you sure you’re not the one performing mental gymnastics?
The hypothetical scenario si mine? When team fake are saying that the guy could be impersonated, or that te guy might have got the grinch thing because I dunno? or that the guy is actually being given a fake print?

Please....???? Tell me that you didn't actually said that.

I stated how those companies work, and that the evidence falls into place. That's deduction. Not hypothesising.

Illumination, who is working on Grinch, is also working with Nintendo to make a movie. It would make sense for Nintendo to help advertise the Grinch movie. Also it's very clearly official material in the video.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He grabs all the fighters, stuffs em in his bag and throws them down the mountain. Then the mountain explodes for some reason.
Nah, he summons Smashboards to the stage and then making it explode.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
if the leak ends up being real then they sure butchered that beautiful background they had.

If there were actual trademarks filed for all these properties a few weeks ago I dont know if that hurts or helps the leak. The quality we have gives us no way to see if the characters are really hasty photoshops of existing assets
The background actually isn't much different from the August background:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...rs-leaks-ahead.434391/page-6277#post-22600343

Both also lack details that are in the E3 background; the leak and the August backgrounds look awfully close, with some parts being blotches from the image quality (the characters in the whole leak image have blotches as well).

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
We just need that damn final Smash Direct so we can put this all to rest.... at least until DLC speculation.
Amen to that!

They should just give a 100/50 facts video and let us rest easy after knowing what's coming! Or just release the game next week and say what we saw from the previous Directs is all were getting!

Chrono.

What's those from?
It's a fake NX controller that made rounds before the Switch was revealed.

Everyone was convinced it was real, even some like Inram said it was. But it was all an elaborate 3D printing hoax.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
What? Nintendo didn't even pay for my travel to play Let's Go. Do you really think they'd pay me to destroy my reputation (Note: I haven't even stated anything about this)

Yeah I don't work like that.

For one, I don't leak stuff.
Thanks for clarifying to all the forum that you don't need reputation because you don't leak stuff, rather you just tell what Nintendo feeds you as another marketing vector.

Please Joe, you haven't changed in all these years xD.

Last edited:

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason a lot of people are aggressively deadset on it being real is because it has what they want. This thread's seen it before, a good example being "Bandana Dee, a character who's almost always had a spear in his hands, is a Kirby echo despite Waddle Dees not having rock stuff. Banjo's in though" and, infamously after ESRB, Tower of Smash. Anyone remember that one?
Yeah totally.

I'm leaning towards real, but there is a lot of doubt. maybe 55-45 right now.

Grinch roster is amazing. Kencineroar is..... meh? Are they really going out on a whimper? (unless Ken and Incellroar are your jam... for some reason) I want to believe!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This Grinch stuff is so ****ing funny, I think we're in Smash speculation's peak atm.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Someone on /r/smashbros just posted this which I think can go against the 'difficulty' of moving the characters ...sorry it's in google drive...
This was probably achieved by taking the fighters from the existing banner and pasting them on to the leak, in which case it doesn't say anything about 'moving' the fighters. I believe the original poster noted that almost every fighter had to be manipulated in some way.
Still, with a blank Battlefield the leaker could potentially use that same "pasting" technique.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Pack it up boys. It's just that the London Comic Con is partner with the Grinch movie, even GameExplain's Press Card was Grinch Themed

Source

I had to wear this thing today

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
In the possible scenario that this banner leak is fake, I would highly suggest lowering your expectations.
shh

let people enjoy things

Now, if they start to send hate mail to devs or something, that's where we have a problem, but this is by far the most entertaining forums have been during this speculation cycle.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
This is something that I was about to say.
Since Illumination, the animators of the Grinch movie, are making the Mario movie, it wouldnt be reall weird if they shared a (advertising, papers, i don freaking know) company?
But thats just a hypothesis
I don't know to be honest, but both products are being prepared to ship/release around Christmas time.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
The man was old and mostly wont care about smash that much. Was ******** about his job and didn't know that that armband had so heavy spoiler info.
Why would someone who doesn't care deliberately show this to their friend? This was not an accident.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point I'm just tired of people not listening and going with the same circumstancial evidence of "who would go through all this effort?" or "these things that are clearly inconsistencies could just have changed".
If you're all gonna call insiders liars and act like you know better than them, then there's really no reason for me to waste my time with this ****. I'm already stressed enough with irl stuff so I don't need more deaf hypocrites in my life.
I'll be back when this leak has been 100% proven real or fake, and by then, I hope you guys can see past your own confirmation biases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
fake.gif

The render is the same, it has been edited though. The body is longer and the shape of the head is slighty different. You can still se that the fur has been cut and it's not as long as in the official artwork:
grinch.png

Though, you can clearly see that the nose is still in the picture and it's not his back, it's still his face... despite this, the mouth has been deleted.
This is a photoshop work, it's fake.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
https://trademarks.justia.com/752/97/banjo-75297133.html

Seems like Banjo Kazooie got trademarked or something with nintendo as a partner. I apologise if this has already been mentioned or isn't reliable.
It's over. Leaks win.

But this could still be both. After all many are speculating banjo would be revealed with the mini so that could very well happen after this.
My best timeline?

This whole thing is a set up, perpetrated by Nintendo.
They're in on it, both companies are in on it, "the person who leaked it" is in on it, etc
Everyone but the insiders, which is why they're writhing right now

Everyone's been punked
Nintendo right now:

HOLY ****.

Nintendo raising the stakes out here.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If it actually turns out that those Grinch materials were meant for a Nintendo event, to me that means this is over.

That is the most ridiculous connection I think i’ve ever seen.

This whole time we thought it was two different things, and now he, suddenly, shows up at a Nintendo event.

Holy ****. If the Grinch Art, and I mean the EXACT Grinch art is there, i’m calling it real. Until I see that, I will STILL remain as skeptical as I possibly can.

Heh, except it’s Comic Con in London and not a Nintendo event.

Either way, this is ****ed up.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's some galaxy brain **** going on right now. It's like the Gods themselves decided to specifically target and **** with the Smash community for just these last few months

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
So despite all the twists and turns going on for the past few days, I want to ask this:
How would you guys feel about getting a potential Dragalia Lost character for DLC?
I doubt it would even happen, but hey at least it’d allow for someone along the lines of Tiki to get in.

Even though I’d probably prefer her much more..

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This is some JoJo levels of Bull****** going on right now.

Are people going to turn into snails next!? This is the most BIZARRE timeline we live in.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
LMAO
An employee at a Nintendo booth doesn't reflect all of nintendo guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom