• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Shantae will never get into Smash
That wasn't really the point of what I was trying to say, I was responding to a post asking about the fan bases, but fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how much I hope it's wrong.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If it cause of the chairs or couch that dumb
but pac-man cloud His assist trophy is missing, seemingly replaced by the Moon, and he's a very iconic Zelda character recognized by a wide audience. also yes chairs + couch + pillow I'll admit, but to be fair E3's background during Sakurai's portion seemed to reference K. Rool.

Though people want Skull Kid because he's a cool character. I want him 'cause I like his character and design, not just because of Majora's Mask.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Hey guys how many new comers do you think we have left including Echos i would say 10 Max
I'd honestly say 11. Here's who I think bias and realism included.
-Isabelle
-Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
-Isaac
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Sun & Moon Pokemon
-Phoenix Wright (Possibly an Edgeworth echo making it 12)
-Funky Kong
-Bandana Dee

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
While I'm not going to comment on whether the chair theory is legit or not, I do want to mention this.

The background is done intentionally for sure. Sakurai remained in the same room whenever he had announcements to show in Smash 4, but has already changed location twice in 2 directs. They think about these things a lot more than you'd probably expect.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Sheesh, what was that for? I was just speculating. You know, that thing we do 80% of the time in this thread?

Obviously at least SOME of them have to be relevant to a new fighter. As well, Stages are only ever posted on Wednesday along with music. Meaning stages can, at most, only be two of those.
Alright, three complaints means I am indeed seeming derogatory.

I apologize for seeming that way. I am doing several things at once, making my daughter a late night snack, giving her attention, feeding animals and all that.

I said “get over it” because it’s believed after the 8/8 Direct that 103 is the final total.
I didn’t mean “get over it, you’re all dumb.”

It’s terse and mean, but meant like a friendly tease. I’m just pulling your chain. And I will refrain from doing so in the future.

My love is a big thing and you all have it til the time you deliberately disrespect others. I’m so used to people knowing that in my circles that it’s weird to have the need to explain.

Again, my apologies. I don’t wanna be like that.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
True. Guess that was kind of a stupid question on my part. Just didn't expect to see two inde games get that much support, but hey.
And rejocing time for me! I've found another SMT fan!
Nah, it's not actually that stupid.
It's easy to forget where popularity comes from when you've got a litany of other reasons like retro reps, pokemon reps, weapon users, quotas, nostalgia, etc etc. that are less about plainly liking the source material.
In the case of indies, the only reason they get their support is because people like their games a whole lot and push for them.

Also, glad to see another SMT fan here. If you've got the time, feel free to check out my character support thread in my sig.

D

Deleted member

While I'm not going to say the chair theory is legit or not, I do want to mention this.

The background is done intentionally for sure. Sakurai remained in the same room whenever he had announcements to show in Smash 4, but has already changed location twice in 2 directs. They think about these things a lot more than you'd probably expect.
What is this "chair theory" all about?

D

Deleted member

He can't even get represented in his own games.

Y'know, this is probably a good representation of SNK, because damnit, Lucky, HEAVY DEEEEEEE, and Brian are like the most funniest ****ing characters to ever grace a fighting game. MANS FIGHTING WITH A BASKETBALL.
SNK DO YOU NOT WANT MONEY.

wastin money.png

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While I'm not going to say the chair theory is legit or not, I do want to mention this.

Nothing gets by Sakurai. If a fly comes briefly through the room while recording, the dude just starts the whole shot over.
That's the kind of man Sakurai is.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I apologize for seeming that way. I am doing several things at once, making my daughter a late night snack, giving her attention, feeding animals and all that.

I said “get over it” because it’s believed after the 8/8 Direct that 103 is the final total.

It’s terse and mean, but meant like friendly tease. I’m just pulling your chain. And I will refrain from doing so in the future.

My love is a big thing and you all have it til the time you deliberately disrespect others. I’m so used to people knowing that in my circles that it’s weird to have the need to explain.

You're a family man Nether. Never change bro.

We always forget the pillow...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Good god it's been like 100 pages since I last posted. Don't worry, I've been lurking and seeing the panic, terror, memes, and outright meltdown of this thread from a distance :awesome:.

There's a bit I could comment on (like the veins that appeared on the sides of my head as I saw the word "rep" used in what seemed like THOUSANDS of times), but all I'm going to say in regard to tomorrow is to keep your expectations in check.

This isn't a Smash Direct.

This is a Nintendo General Direct. It's going to mention Smash, and probably give us ONE character and MAYBE an Echo, because Smash is a Holiday title that will carry the Switch this season. If you go in expecting more than that, you're setting it all up for salt/disappointment.

There's also the fact that the Blog numbers have been moved around everywhere, and based on the timing for last week, one newcomer, a memory and the trailer would have fit perfectly in the 3 "data" slots.

I'm not saying you can't be optimistic, because honestly I would love to see that many characters. But considering E3 was the last time there was any sort of focused Direct on anything BESIDES Smash, going in with high expectations will be your downfall.

That all said, I think it could be somebody like Incineroar, but I also think there's a chance that it could be a 3rd Party newcomer that nobody saw as a real possibility (gimme Lloyd Irving please).

Have fun tomorrow though. It should be some good stuff any way you slice it!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What is this "chair theory" all about?
In the last direct, two noticeable chairs in the background were purple and yellow, the colors of Skull Kid's fairy friends, Tatl and Tael.
Many people expect that this is foreshadowing that Skull Kid is going to be in as another playable character.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

It’s terse and mean, but meant like a friendly tease. I’m just pulling your chain. And I will refrain from doing so in the future.

No sweat man, I appreciate you clearing that up a bit more. We're all buds here.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I hope my attitude and tone was consistent during this past week. I don't like to have info droughts get to me :yoshi:
I kind of hope that too.

The Direct Delay definitely had some influence, not gonna lie.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Good god it's been like 100 pages since I last posted. Don't worry, I've been lurking and seeing the panic, terror, memes, and outright meltdown of this thread from a distance :awesome:.

There's a bit I could comment on (like the veins that appeared on the sides of my head as I saw the word "rep" used in what seemed like THOUSANDS of times), but all I'm going to say in regard to tomorrow is to keep your expectations in check.

This is a Nintendo General Direct. It's going to mention Smash, and probably give us ONE character and MAYBE an Echo, because Smash is a Holiday title that will carry the Switch this season. If you go in expecting more than that, you're setting it all up for salt/disappointment.

I'm not saying you can't be optimistic, because honestly I would love to see that many characters. But considering E3 was the last time there was any sort of focused Direct on anything BESIDES Smash, going in with high expectations will be your downfall.

That all said, I think it could be somebody like Incineroar, but I also think there's a chance that it could be a 3rd Party newcomer that nobody saw as a real possibility (gimme Lloyd Irving please).

If we get Dixie as an echo I'll be happy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How many I think (DLC included)

-Bandana Dee
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Black Knight(E)
-Dixie Kong(E)
-Felix(E)
-Geno
-Isabella(E)
-Isaac
-Ken(E)
-Medusa(E)
-Retro rep or Rhythm Heaven rep
-Namco rep
-Octoling(E)
-Pokemon Gen 7 rep
-Rex & Pyra
-Shadow(E)
-Skull Kid

I can dream...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's also the fact that the Blog numbers have been moved around everywhere, and based on the timing for last week, one newcomer, a memory and the trailer would have fit perfectly in the 3 "data" slots.

True. I get what you're saying. I'm not just hoping for a Smash reveal. The Zelda fan in me is dying for a Link's Awakening remake on the 3ds.
I also hope we get another PMD game, but it's most likely that PMD is dead.

Idon Idon And that's all based around two sets of chairs?...R-Really?? This isn't a joke right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's been a LONG week for most of us, that's for sure. We all get thirsty when it comes to Smash news, so when we're about to sink our teeth into it before it's yanked away, it's understandable the wait becomes a bit less comfortable, regardless of the obviously understandable circumstances that the direct was delayed.

Nothing this past week is gonna be held accountable or something silly like that, we're all good guys. We're just excited.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not subscribing to the chair theory unless, assuming Skull Kid gets in, we get an official confirmation that the furniture was intended to be some sort of teaser/hint. It really wouldn't be that strange of a coincidence for a few random pieces of a furniture to share some color similarities with a few characters, imo. I'm more convinced of Skull Kid's chances being good because of his fanbase and his mysterious absence from the Moon Assist Trophy more than anything else.

Just don't jump to conclusions about it, then you're heading on a path that could lead to a bigger than average disappointment. I suppose it might not make too much of a difference if he gets in anyway, regardless of whether the chairs were really hints or not, but nothing is guaranteed just yet, so still; tread carefully.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If Sakurai ever actually dropped hints, how come he never said so in an interview? Makes no sense to me.
If Sakurai were trying to be coy about hiding something, how come he's never totally given the hidden part away in an interview? Makes no sense to me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If Sakurai ever actually dropped hints, how come he never said so in an interview? Makes no sense to me.
It's really pretty simple.

If Sakurai actually told us he left hints for us to find, people would be more interested in those than the actual information he's trying to tell us (imagine how much more focused on the chairs people would be if Sakurai told us they were a hint, for instance).

The "hints" are probably just Sakurai having a bit of fun with us, he is under no obligation to tell us he's doing it and it doesn't matter if the fans notice or not.

EDIT: Also, what Pyra Pyra said.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean after the fact. If he actually hinted at K. Rool, you'd think he would've mentioned it in the Famitsu column when he was talking specifically about K. Rool.
Because:
It's really pretty simple.

If Sakurai actually told us he left hints for us to find, people would be more interested in those than the actual information he's trying to tell us (imagine how much more focused on the chairs people would be if Sakurai told us they were a hint, for instance).

The "hints" are probably just Sakurai having a bit of fun with us, he is under no obligation to tell us he's doing it and it doesn't matter if the fans notice or not.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I mean after the fact. If he actually hinted at K. Rool, you'd think he would've mentioned it in the Famitsu column when he was talking specifically about K. Rool.
Some say that he did hint towards K. Rool with his Tweet which came out just before the release tho.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Saying this as someone who still won't be believing in a few particular theories unless we so happen to get confirmation on it, it's unlikely the man would reveal he's being tricky and leaving hints on purpose any time soon.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Looking forward to seeing how tomorrow will go!

Remember guys, this is a Nintendo Direct so we're gonna be getting Smash news eventually and I want to say towards the end. At least 1 newcomer and 1-2 Echos will do but I'll be surprised if Smash spends more than 5 minutes being talked about

Now if y'all wanna go into a ****storm, let's save that towards Oct/Nov when we will most likely have the final Direct there before the game's release.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Villains/rivals will be showing up in force.

- Choices based on ballots
- Usual newcomers are main characters or sidekicks
- Villain defeciet
- People want their leftover favorites: Villains

Skull Kid and Incineroar are both mentioned in rumors.
I would throw in Scorpion.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
You are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Who cares if they reveal a character? We will all know who is in the game on December 3 and anything that has happened since E3 will matter absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Villains/rivals will be showing up in force.

- Choices based on ballots
- Usual newcomers are main characters or sidekicks
- Villain defeciet
- People want their leftover favorites: Villains

Skull Kid and Incineroar are both mentioned in rumors.
I would throw in Scorpion.
>Incineroar
>Scorpion
>Villains
excuse me

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Who cares if they reveal a character? We will all know who is in the game on December 3 and anything that has happened since E3 will matter absolutely nothing.
You should take a trip to the drying machine because you are one wet blanket.

D

Deleted member

Well, aside from a Smash annoucement, what else is everyone hoping for in the Direct? I've already mentioned a Link's Awakening remake, but I also wish we could get some new info on other Switch titles, specifically Metroid Prime 4, Shin Megami Tensei 5, and Bayonetta 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom