• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
In case it happens tomorrow, going to drop it right here so I get credit for predicting it (unlikely to happen though).

Kommo-o
Honestly, would not even be mad.
Let me play along too! Probably unlikely but here it goes for my Pokemon Rep.

Guzma and Golisopod. (It's your boi)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Incineroar is based on a heel. The villain/antagonist character in a wrestling arc.
Probably where his dark type factors in.
We will see, if he gets used, how he is represented in the game's campaign mode or characterized in blog posts and trophies.
The only heel wrestler we need in Smash is Randy Orton (I would’ve gone for Triple H but he ironically doesn’t play video games)
There's a villain, and then there's acting like a villain.
WWE’s booking of Roman Reigns/Braun Strowman and Becky Lynch/Charlotte Flair in a nutshell

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Has there been any hilariously bad fake leaks for the direct yet?

I need something to laugh at to wake up before work.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd personally want remakes for both SMT I and II, as well as a port of Nocturne to the Switch. And I also want Flynn for Ultimate along with Jack Frost.
So I guess you and I are similar, except you're the Persona and I'm the SMT fan. And that's cool. I'm not a massive anti-Persona persona or anything, I just really want to talk about SMT, but I don't have anywhere to talk to anyone about it.
If you wanna talk SMT, here's the place. Idon Idon is to SMT as Zinith Zinith is to Yoshi (except nothing will ever beat Zinith's dedication to Yoshi), and I'm just glad to see more people supporting Persona or SMT because a lot of people don't and that's a straight up tragedy. Honestly an SMT or Persona rep is one of, if not the most underrated character for this game, and that sucks because it's a great series.

Also, I'd happily take the Jack Bros. over Joker.
akumasyoukan01_01011.jpg

LOOK AT THOSE BOYS

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'd honestly just take a straight-up port of P5 too. I'd honestly buy that.

Even better, remake Persona 3, mixing the story/cutscenes of FES with the gameplay of P3P, rerelease P4G on the Switch with a slight update, and add elements to Persona 5 to make it Persona 5 Crimson.

How to make my wallet commit suicide right there.
God, yours and mine both! P5 was my introduction to Persona and was blown away by it. So P4G on switch and P3 FES Ultimate we'll call it, would be amazing!

Also, Joker would be awesome DLC for Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm a big SMT / Persona fan, too!

Persona games are f*cking perfect for the Switch, I was sad when we got no news of a Switch port of Persona 5, since you could at least port the PlayStation 3 version of the game to Switch if the PS4 version was somehow too graphically intensive for it.

I like the SMT games (I've beaten SMT1, 2, and Nocturne so far) so I'm glad we're definitely getting SMT5 on it, but Persona's day-by-day schedule is just so perfect for a portable device.

Aside from that, some other potential non-Smash news from the Direct that I would like would be some idea on how Metroid Prime 4 is coming along. I'm not sure what direction the series is taking after Samus Returns, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

This one's not hilariously bad, but it's the most prominent one of the bunch.
Link is here
Alright bros I snagged you a bit of the direct. Here you go.

>Sakurai expresses thanks to the invitational players who gave him feedback on the game
A segmant called "Smash School" begins
>Goes over the new airdodging mechanics and the pros and cons of regular vs. directional
>Goes over the powershielding/parrying mechanic
>Wavedashing makes a return, the official name for it is now "evade dashing"
>The input has been streamlined, it can be performed as it originally was, or by pressing jump and shield together while on the ground.
>Shows some practical uses such as faking out your opponent or wavelanding off of platforms
>For Glory Mode has been given many significant improvements, with a fully-fledged rank system
>Sakurai assures this system is in place for bragging rights and also to keep lesser-skilled players from going against top players, which can be frustrating
>Sakurai signs off by inviting college players to attend the Smash bros tailgate tour which begins on the 22nd.
1536778476911.jpg

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

FF82E456-558E-4E8E-AD1E-ED02DB63FB19.gif
A37F6AEB-A368-442C-ADFB-41CEF921B286.gif
B6B64E3F-0121-4CCC-9943-419BBA106D9D.jpeg
014E8525-899B-48AA-9D26-0BF130F64A8F.jpeg
Not a leak or anything, but might make you cringe at the least

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok here’s a game!

What do you want your most wanted newcomers to do on the mural and which characters would you place them next to?
Prefarably something like this:
Raidou vs Demifiend.jpg

As long as it's something active and interesting, showing Demi-fiend in the thick of battle and not like... Robin sitting in the corner reading a book and Chrom looking over at him like "what is this man doing?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon TheYungLink TheYungLink
Cool! It's awesome to see more fans of this series! So, what are your favorites? Mine's IV. I loved everything about that game, from it's atmosphere, to is gameplay (minus the map), to it's godlike music.
EDIT: I'd also like to know your's too, Idon Idon

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just had a pretty dope idea.

So you know how in previous games, at the end of Classic Mode/All Star Mode, your character's trophy would be displayed with all the other trophies of characters you beat Classic Mode/All Star Mode with? I was thinking with this game, maybe they can take the big character mural and have it slowly fill in once you beat classic mode with certain characters. Once you beat classic with everyone, the mural will fill completely.
That's an amazing idea.
You know what I want in this direct?

A port of Persona 5 similar to Persona 4 Golden on the Switch.

Atlus made P4G to support the Vita, and similarly they'd make Persona 5 (Crimson?) to support the Switch.

Plus, then Joker could be a DLC character or something.

Also, just a reminder that if we don't get Skull Kid or Isaac tomorrow I must change my avatar to something anti-Joker. Feel free to screenshot this and remind me. I've already got the stuff picked out. I look forward to tomorrow.
It'd be nice to be able to get P4G on the Switch as well.

Just sayin'.

Also, an anti-Joker avatar would totally be Batman. :troll:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Honestly, would not even be mad.
Let me play along too! Probably unlikely but here it goes for my Pokemon Rep.

Guzma and Golisopod. (It's your boi)
Yo! My boi, Guzma! He gave us slum dogs a name, nom sayin’?
6A47343E-B8C3-421A-8795-CC59672C4997.gif

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm hoping for a newcomer that's in the general speculation acceptance right now like Isaac or Bandanna Dee but a left field Echo character that wouldn't have been a ballot pick, just to spice up speculation some more.

*crosses fingers for Hilda and Roll*
*Crosses fingers for Sakura from Street Fighter as an echo*

*Crosses everything for Amaterasu, with Shiranui as an echo*

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just gonna say not to get your hopes up for Persona ports:
The last time any sort of Atlus representative has said anything about porting mainline Persona to other consoles is this:

It seems the most any other console is getting will be relegated to spinoffs like Persona Q

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon TheYungLink TheYungLink
Cool! It's awesome to see more fans of this series! So, what are your favorites? Mine's IV. I loved everything about that game, from it's atmosphere, to is gameplay (minus the map), to it's godlike music.
I've actually only played Persona 5, but I absolutely loved it. I got early into Devil Summoner Remix but could never actually get in to it. I'm planning on giving IV a try when I get the time, but that likely won't be for quite a while, unfortunately.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
In regard to tomorrow's Direct, my bet is that we will be seeing Skull Kid.

I recently went through and read all of loz18's GameFAQs posts, and especially after hearing about how little credibility he has in so many's eyes and how he supposedly got a lot wrong, I was expecting an accurate leak of the E3 presentation's info in the early posts and pretty much nothing else that has held up or seems likely to do so. I was extremely surprised when I instead found a wealth of information that was either exactly correct or very close to correct, with the few inaccuracies being quite believable and understandable mistakes. From his descriptions of his playtime, it is obvious that he legitimately played a limited beta build that would normally only be available to Nintendo and Sora employees, featuring about 12 characters and the placeholder logo from the Inkling teaser rather than the E3 demo. It doesn't sound like he works for Nintendo, so the "interesting people" he knows must be miracle workers to get him anywhere near a build of Ultimate before the game's official unveiling. What is clear is that his connection definitely works for Nintendo/Sora, though, as since the beginning he's been mentioning how a lot of his information comes from assumptions based on materials that are collected or seen by his friend either for or directly in relation to the game and/or its marketing, not to mention his source shared more details than any build of the game or demo would reveal.

I know its an unpopular opinion in the community these days to trust loz18, what with his odd behavior on Twitter, but just like when everybody was saying the Gematsu leak was fake due to its partial inaccuracies, I personally still have faith in everything he said while on GameFAQs. Thus, I expect that Spirits Mode will be the main way to unlock characters, that when we finally hear more about costumes like Meta Ridley that Zelda will have a costume based on her BotW appearance, and that Skull Kid has a significant role in the game, most likely as a playable character.

Admittedly, however, I have much less faith in what he's said since moving to Twitter. It sounds like his friend may have seen material that implies that implies that Isaac is playable, but it could very well be a more far-reaching guess than all of the previous ones the two made. That said, however, I would put personally consider DasVergeben to be about as credible as loz18. Unlike loz18, who leaked many accurate or nearly accurate details, in reagard to SSBU, Vergeben has yet to predict anything that would undeniably prove that he has accurate inside information on the game. If we get Minecraft content or Incineroar as a playable character, I'll trust him as much as early loz18, but until then he is undoubtedly the lesser of the two in terms of credibility, especially if you choose to focus only on loz18's time on GameFAQs.

There is an astounding amount of misinformation out there surrounding what loz18 said before moving to Twitter, both among fans and even in the loz18 leaks' articles, threads, and screenshot galleries across the Internet. Everything I've said here, however, is backed up by a thorough reading of dozens of his posts, so I offer you my assurance that it is all accurate to the best of my knowledge. That said, if you have any questions or disagreements about the veracity of my interpretation of events, I will do my best to link you to the relevant threads on GameFAQs so that you can see the original sources for yourself.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's an amazing idea.

It'd be nice to be able to get P4G on the Switch as well.

Just sayin'.

Also, an anti-Joker avatar would totally be Batman. :troll:
I've got something ready.

It's not Batman though.
Just gonna say not to get your hopes up for Persona ports:
The last time any sort of Atlus representative has said anything about porting mainline Persona to other consoles is this:

It seems the most any other console is getting will be relegated to spinoffs like Persona Q
Maybe things changed after the Switch hit it big?

I by no means am getting my hopes up though. It seems like SMT is Nintendo, and Persona is Playstation, with little overlap. A guy can dream though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In regard to tomorrow's Direct, my bet is that we will be seeing Skull Kid.

I recently went through and read all of loz18's GameFAQs posts, and especially after hearing about how little credibility he has in so many's eyes and how he supposedly got a lot wrong, I was expecting an accurate leak of the E3 presentation's info in the early posts and pretty much nothing else that has held up or seems likely to do so. I was extremely surprised when I instead found a wealth of information that was either exactly correct or very close to correct, with the few inaccuracies being quite believable and understandable mistakes. From his descriptions of his playtime, it is obvious that he legitimately played a limited beta build that would normally only be available to Nintendo and Sora employees, featuring about 12 characters and the placeholder logo from the Inkling teaser rather than the E3 demo. It doesn't sound like he works for Nintendo, so the "interesting people" he knows must be miracle workers to get him anywhere near a build of Ultimate before the game's official unveiling. What is clear is that his connection definitely works for Nintendo/Sora, though, as since the beginning he's been mentioning how a lot of his information comes from assumptions based on materials that are collected or seen by his friend either for or directly in relation to the game and/or its marketing, not to mention his source shared more details than any build of the game or demo would reveal.

I know its an unpopular opinion in the community these days to trust loz18, what with his odd behavior on Twitter, but just like when everybody was saying the Gematsu leak was fake due to its partial inaccuracies, I personally still have faith in everything he said while on GameFAQs. Thus, I expect that Spirits Mode will be the main way to unlock characters, that when we finally hear more about costumes like Meta Ridley that Zelda will have a costume based on her BotW appearance, and that Skull Kid has a significant role in the game, most likely as a playable character.

Admittedly, however, I have much less faith in what he's said since moving to Twitter. It sounds like his friend may have seen material that implies that implies that Isaac is playable, but it could very well be a more far-reaching guess than all of the previous ones the two made. That said, however, I would put personally consider DasVergeben to be about as credible as loz18. Unlike loz18, who leaked many accurate or nearly accurate details, in reagard to SSBU, Vergeben has yet to predict anything that would undeniably prove that he has accurate inside information on the game. If we get Minecraft content or Incineroar as a playable character, I'll trust him as much as early loz18, but until then he is undoubtedly the lesser of the two in terms of credibility, especially if you choose to focus only on loz18's time on GameFAQs.

There is an astounding amount of misinformation out there surrounding what loz18 said before moving to Twitter, both among fans and even in the loz18 leaks' articles, threads, and screenshot galleries across the Internet. Everything I've said here, however, is backed up by a thorough reading of dozens of his posts, so I offer you my assurance that it is all accurate to the best of my knowledge. That said, if you have any questions or disagreements about the veracity of my interpretation of events, I will do my best to link you to the relevant threads on GameFAQs so that you can see the original sources for yourself.
Either him or Isaac is my personal bet.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My villain/rival assertion still holds true.
Incineroar, as a heel, pits himself as a rival.
Eat your beans and get some sleep for the direct.
Rival against whom? He has no rival to face, it's still just a gimmick that he plays and isn't his actual character.
And that bean **** is starting to get real annoying real quick.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'd honestly just take a straight-up port of P5 too. I'd honestly buy that.

Even better, remake Persona 3, mixing the story/cutscenes of FES with the gameplay of P3P, rerelease P4G on the Switch with a slight update, and add elements to Persona 5 to make it Persona 5 Crimson.

How to make my wallet commit suicide right there.
I'd go file bankruptcy right after the Direct lol
regular P4 quickly became my favorite game of all time last year, being able to play P4G on Switch out of all consoles would be wonderful

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It's not Batman though.

I by no means am getting my hopes up though. It seems like SMT is Nintendo, and Persona is Playstation, with little overlap. A guy can dream though.
Potentially.
I mean we got Kingdom Hearts on XBoxOne, so hey, anything's possible.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've never liked the "don't set yourselves up for disappointment" argument.

I am a grown-ass man. If I want to get hyped about a video game, I will do so. If I want to be disappointed, I will be. I will not throw a chair in rage through the computer screen and injure you, so kindly shut up.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rival against whom? He has no rival to face, it's still just a gimmick that he plays and isn't his actual character.
And that bean **** is starting to get real annoying real quick.
Probably because you have a nutrient deficiency from not eating beans.

Pokemon fight pokemon. Literally any challenger would be a rival.

But as a heel, he would taunt, ridicule and embarrass his opponent rather than just flat-out win.

I am arguing this in the context of an Adventure mode and an antagonist theme that might have risen from the ballot, because those were the few popular choices remaining (the rest: Heroes and Sidekicks prominently taken).

Move on to something else.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've never liked the "don't set yourselves up for disappointment" argument.

I am a grown-*** man. If I want to get hyped about a video game, I will do so. If I want to be disappointed, I will be. I will not throw a chair in rage through the computer screen and injure you, so kindly shut up.
Chairs are for over-analyzing, not for throwing.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No offense to any of you, but are Animal Crossing and Pikmin really that good? I've seen a good number of people before that are big fans of those series. What are they like?
Pikmin's a series of real-time strategy games where you control an army of charming little plant aliens with different abilities and advantages for different situations. You grow more of them from fighting enemies and gathering a few other resources like numbered pellets, and each game has a different objective you've got to follow. You're always having them gather up important items for some important purpose though (the first and third game's even have time limits. Time does pass in the game, and you can't be on the planet's surface at night because of it's dangerous nocturnal lifeforms, so there's only so many in-game days you can use to complete the objective before it's game over. Pikmin 2 still uses this concept, but without a limit to how many days you can spend trying to finish it. You also have underground caves/dungeons to explore in the sequel, where in-game time doesn't pass until you exit them and return to the surface).

You get to command the little guys to fight enemies, build or destroy things to make shortcuts, gather up your objective items, heck you can even throw them in order to get them to do some of those things. You can control them in all sorts of ways for all sorts of situations, and you can have up to 100 on the field at any given time, as well as a variety of different types to choose from in each game. When you get the hang of controlling your squad and managing your Pikmin count, it's really fun. It's a great concept that's executed nicely, and blending with some combat and puzzles with real-time strategy, you've got yourself a unique game and, in my opinion, a very fun experience.

If you can ever get a chance to get a few of the games, I'd recommend them. The first Pikmin is still great despite having more outdated graphics and the Pikmin being slightly more difficult to control when performing certain actions. It's still more than acceptable and is a great strategy game, giving a more alien and isolated feel than it's sequels do, plenty of character development from the main protagonist, and the time limit helps provide a great challenge to your mission of repairing your spaceship. Pikmin 2 is my personal favorite, it has no time limit and many areas to explore, plenty of treasures to find, two playable captains, and a variety of dungeons that are often generated differently on each visit, with it's biggest issue being that more than a few enemies are pushovers. I hear not everyone's a fan of the dungeon levels either, so that's one element you may or may not enjoy. Pikmin 3 updated tons of mechanics for a more optimal experience, and has a different type of timer to go against (collecting more of the objective items gives you more days to complete the game) and has some of the most complicated and challenging boss fights in the series, as well as plenty of great moments from a total of three playable main characters. It's also the easiest one to find a copy of now, since it's for the Wii U. I suppose you could start with any of them if you get an opportunity to find copies of them all, though the sequels would make much more sense to you if you started with the very first one. Personally I love all of the games, but they're very different and unique from many others out there, so the only way to know if you'd enjoy them is to play them.

I'd say more about Animal Crossing since I love the series myself but I thought I'd dedicate this post to Pikmin specifically lol

KMDP

Smash Legend

It's not Batman though.

*gasp*

Is it D. Grayson, Age 12?

Or maybe the Pancake King himself, Goro Akechi?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, besides just having the Nintendo characters, what do you guys thinks makes Smash so special? I've been trying to play games like Icons (great controls and mechanics, but just no life in it) and Slap City (I do not understand why anyone over 15 thinks it's a good game tbh), and nothing ever clicks like Smash. Is it the controls? Is it the mechanics themselves? Several games copied it almost exactly regarding mechanics, and none of them feel nearly as fluid or fair as Smash does.
I can't wait for December, I'm sick of playing Steam Substitutes lol

Edit: Ooh, a leak! That's more interesting! It's fake though. Calling it now!

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Frankly I think asking the question 'who is going to be in this direct' is pointless and everyone is likely going to name a character they want to see anyway since there is nothing else to go off of that isn't based on weird theories.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
The more I think about it, the more I want Prince Sable. I didn’t know about him until 4, but he’s so cool. He has a little sword and can turn into a frog or snake. That’s apparently all it takes to entertain me.

I hope he’s the off-the-wall character. I would be pleasantly surprised.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ayumi Tachibana or Sable Prince IMO would be the best choices for an retro rep. There's also Mach Rider too though.

If we do get one I think Sakurai should go with Ayumi since he actually considered her once for Melee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom