• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Okay, can someone explain the "chairs" meme? I must have missed it.
Apparently people think Sakurai is intentionally putting different colored chairs during the direct to hint at something. The usual grasping at straws.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
By the end of the Smash Ultimate wait, we’ll have the greatest and weirdest fighting game roster of all time

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I think my only remaining 100% prediction now is that Skull Kid will not be playable. It's just too farfetched to be within the realm of possibility.

D

Deleted member

Dang, I wanted to see how horrifying good Lin would look in XB2's art style.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They usually leave the original songs alone; it's the remixes that get cut down to fit. I'd expect Jump Up'll get in as original.
Original songs aren't always left untouched though. A good portion of Fire Emblem BGM tracks have had their lengths reduced, regardless of whether or not they're original or remixes.

Even Ricco Harbor's length was reduced by implementing the Yoshi drums half-way through the tune, instead of waiting until the tune loops back to the very start.

Last edited:

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Okay, can someone explain the "chairs" meme? I must have missed it.
For E3 2018 it was a wooden theme, with rope ladder and a barrel in the background. This supposedly foreshadowed King K. Rools reveal for the August direct. During the August direct, there was a green couch and pillow that could match Skull Kids color scheme, with a purple and yellow chair to the side to represent Tatl and Tael. People came up with the conclusion that now Skull Kid will be the next reveal.

As a Skull Kid supporter, I don't place much stock in it. It's honestly bogus in my opinion. I think there are other elements that could help support Skull Kid's inclusion without the silly chair meme

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So no doubt everybody here is super hyped for the release of ultimate. But let's do a hypothetical scenario.

You finally pop in that sweet, sweet smash cartridge and start to play your much anticipated title when you notice ________________, which totally kills your hype and leaves you disappointed.

What would be the most disappointing thing to find for you and would it be enough to not play the game or limit your playtime?

For me it would be two things. Online not working and if there are clear disparities between characters with some being way too overpowered ala Metaknight in brawl.
So this is kind of a dumb thing, and it would not at all effect how much I play the game but nothing would really (except for game breaking bugs so I guess that's my real answer) but I'm really looking forward to using the smash meter over the smash ball.

I love playing with final smashes but always thought that the smash ball was too random and gimmicky. I love there's a new consistent way to get final smashes.

However it seems OP and that there might be like, 10 final smashes per battle which is a little much. It would be cool if every player got the chance for one or two per battle, but if it winds up being more than that I'll probably never use the mode which sucks.
I don't really hang around here much now a days, but man, the possible newcomers forum looks downright weird with K. Rool and Ridley absent.
It's absolutely the weirdest thing. It's great too though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ok, I’m not opposed to Shantae in Smash (Heck, I own Half-Genie Hero) but that slumber party quote has got to be a coincidence, it’d make a cute joke tho.

Heck, if the Rodan hints to him being an AT then it’ll probably apply to Shantae’s position as well.
Not sure if Rodin can be counted on such a thing like the Shantae coincidence

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Don't know anything about Xenoblade Chronicles, but Elma looks great. Her fighting style definitely looks like it'd be interesting to see, given what's in the trailer. Dual handguns, dual swords, and what looks to be a copy ability. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing her make it into Smash Ultimate.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm normally against the idea of a Xenoblade rep but not because I don't want it, I just don't think it would happen. Elma is also not my favorite character.

However that Elma reveal trailer was soooooo good. Her model looks 100 times better than X and I have confidence she would look just as good in Ultimate. I realized that not only do we not have a sword and gun user, we don't have a dual sword weilder as well! She could be incredibly unique. I'm worried that her moveset might be bland, but she has a lot of potential. I'm really hoping she made it in time for the game, and wasn't too soon (unlike Rex who was too late).

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think my only remaining 100% prediction now is that Skull Kid will not be playable. It's just too farfetched to be within the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of other arguments aside from "chairs" that people are making for Skull Kid.

- Missing his AT currently (the same argument was made for Dark Samus and is being made for Shadow and Isabelle)
- His MM presence has so far been "replaced" by the Moon in terms of AT representation
- A new item now (Ramblin' Evil Mushroom) functions exactly as his AT did but you fire it yourself (no longer an AOE)
- At least some MM music has been remixed
- Termina has returned as a stage (doesn't mean much but it theoretically could be his stage and YL's)
- YL's final smash is hidden (similar to Robin's not being shown yet when people were speculating Chrom), and many speculate it is Majora's Mask related.
- We do not know all of YL's costumes yet. It is very possible he has his MM items as an alt costume for this reason.
- Finally, Zelda hasn't gotten a rep since Brawl and its was just a semi-clone. The series needs a new rep, and Skull Kid is the next most logical pick due to being the most iconic behind Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
They are going to have to edit soo many Xenoblade Chronicles 2 things even to get trophies in...unless DLC can get rated separately from the main game, which would be nice.
There are plenty of other arguments aside from "chairs" that people are making for Skull Kid.

- Missing his AT currently (the same argument was made for Dark Samus and is being made for Shadow)
- His MM presence has so far been "replaced" by the Moon in terms of AT representation
- A new item now (Ramblin' Evil Mushroom) functions exactly as his AT did but you fire it yourself (no longer an AOE)
- Termina has returned as a stage (doesn't mean much but it theoretically could be his stage and YL's)
- YL's final smash is hidden (similar to Robin's not being shown yet when people were speculating Chrom)
- Finally, Zelda hasn't gotten a rep since Brawl and its was just a semi-clone. The series needs a new rep, and Skull Kid is the next most logical pick due to being the most iconic behind Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.
He was referring specifically to the chairs being a hint, not Skull Kid's chances overall.

That said, the next most logical pick would honestly be Impa or Tingle due to them being reoccurring characters in the series while Skull Kid had only a single noteworthy appearance.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd definitely want Skull Kid over Tingle. I love Majora's Mask, it's in my top 3 games in the series along with BotW and LttP.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Don't know anything about Xenoblade Chronicles, but Elma looks great. Her fighting style definitely looks like it'd be interesting to see, given what's in the trailer. Dual handguns, dual swords, and what looks to be a copy ability. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing her make it into Smash Ultimate.
So Elma has been revealed now for Xenoblades 2. Nice. If anything at all for Smash. It probably would happen today. But i dont know. maybe elma was never an option? :(. Wouldnt mind her in smash though. She cool better than shulk in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but which one? The 1954 one is his classic look but I fear they would go for the Netflix animated version due to being more recent.
Maybe it'll be a Pac-Man situation where he'll be cut if Sakurai isn't allowed to use his classic look.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

- Missing his AT currently (the same argument was made for Dark Samus and is being made for Shadow)
- YL's final smash is hidden (similar to Robin's not being shown yet when people were speculating Chrom)
All great points. I hope he did well on the Ballot since that seems to be inspiring many of the character choices.
They are going to have to edit soo many Xenoblade Chronicles 2 things even to get trophies in...unless DLC can get rated separately from the main game, which would be nice.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it does/isn't rated the same way.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman

- Missing his AT currently (the same argument was made for Dark Samus and is being made for Shadow and Isabelle)
Excellent post my friend

D

Deleted member

Maybe it'll be a Pac-Man situation where he'll be cut if Sakurai isn't allowed to use his classic look.
Nevermind, I just realized Godzilla is too big. And being big is its main character trait, removing that would be an offense to its character. Maybe they could use one of the babyzillas from the 1998 movie though, I think that would satisfy fans who want Godzilla playable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a good amount of stuff that wouldn't be tolerated in an E10+ game. And we're talking about more than just Pyra's wardrobe.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I never cited the chairs. It just seems that it won't happen imo.

Edit: As far as lack of an assist trophy goes, I give more creedence with respect to, say, Shadow since there's potential for him as an Echo. Skull Kid would have to be his own entirely different thing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nevermind, I just realized Godzilla is too big. And being big is its main character trait, removing that would be an offense to its character. Maybe they could use one of the babyzillas from the 1998 movie though, I think that would satisfy fans who want Godzilla playable.
I hope we get Not!Siskel and Not!Ebert as assist trophies. That would be way more interesting than Matthew Broderick. Shame he's far more likely...

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Elma's XC2 trailer dropped as well, if anyone was interested. I kinda felt like this would have been shown along side her Smash trailer if she was in, so RIP in my mind.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Aww man, what a way to wake up to XC2 Elma with footage over Uncontrollable.

It's both things I want most in Smash right now in one sleek vid

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn’t Rosalina announced for 4 a few weeks after being announced for Super Mario 3D World? I wouldn’t count Elma out just yet

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well this confirms that Elma is the Xenoblade X character, not Rook.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I never cited the chairs. It just seems that it won't happen imo.

Edit: As far as lack of an assist trophy goes, I give more creedence with respect to, say, Shadow since there's potential for him as an Echo. Skull Kid would have to be his own entirely different thing
I mean, look what happened to Little Mac

Noipoi

Howdy!
I didn't care about Elma before, but now?
I still don't care.
Her personality is less generic than I thought it'd be though, and her fighting style seems interesting.
She'd be cool in Smash, I don't hate her or anything.

D

Deleted member

Elma is the one character that benefits from XC2's artstyle lol, I hope they use this one if she's in Smash(which is based off her concept art so yes, it did exist back then)

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think Skull Kid is quite likely, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the hecking furniture. I personally don't really want Skull Kid, but his inclusion is more than welcome, I'd say.​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, but which one? The 1954 one is his classic look but I fear they would go for the Netflix animated version due to being more recent.
They would use either:
-Heisei

The first because it's the original, the second because they tend to represent Godzilla in general with the Heisei era design(s) in video game media, and the third for a similar reason when they don't use Heisei.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As for the ESRB, the DLC doesn't need to be rated, BUT if the contents of the DLC would be objectionable enough to increase the rating, then there's a problem and the game itself, not just the DLC, needs to be rerated.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I realized that not only do we not have a sword and gun user, we don't have a dual sword weilder as well! She could be incredibly unique.
"Yo, we heard all the complaints about anime swordsmen, so this time around we gave you one with TWO swords!"

I should clarify that I retired from the characters race when K Room came aboard and have little stock in who appears anymore. I just doubt Elma will be exempt from the usual complaints these characters get just because she dual wields. If people (and I was one of them back in the day) aren't worried about the difference in styles of swords with e.g. Lyn then they're not gonna suddenly see dual wielding as a departure.

For what it's worth, as someone who has never played any Xenoblade game, I'd rather have Elma as a character, though that's entirely because her design is altogether less cringe inducing than the alternative.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for the ESRB, the DLC doesn't need to be rated, BUT if the contents of the DLC would be objectionable enough to increase the rating, then there's a problem and the game itself, not just the DLC, needs to be rerated.
Has there been an incident where the latter scenario occurred? I’m curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom