• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
-Super Mario
-Yoshi
-Pokémon
-Starfox
-Kid Icarus
-Earthbound
-Xenoblade
-Animal Crossing
-Wii Fit
-Sonic
-Ice Climbers
-Duck Hunt
-Game & Watch
-Punch Out!!
-Wario Ware
-Pikmin
-R.O.B.
-Pac-Man (though we got a Galaga medley)
-Bayonetta

Also, Final Fantasy although we already saw that FF only has 2 songs in the music section.

So far, all series with a newcomer announced have a song in the site, except for Super Mario.
Analizing the Music session during the Direct, we can discorver that Final Fantasy, Game and Watch and Bayonetta have the same number of songs of Smash For, probably meaning thatnthere aren't new remixs from those series. Ice Climbers also seems to lack a new song, since all the content we have seen related to them in the "Other" section are remixs from Melee and Brawl.

We also know thag a new Duck Hunt remix has been made for Ultimate.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I never thought the trailers would be used for a story mode cutscene. I don't know why that became a theory, they're just as general as smash trailers in the past.

I think the line about how they used a 100 man team and we're straining them as is kills the idea of a story mode more. We will probably just get an adventure mode instead (not complaining!).
That's a misquote from Nintendo Everything. The 100 man team actually referred to the 100 stages.... They even fixed it in their translation of the entire article.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I know peoe keep saying we have only 2 tracks, but i wonder if that is true. We have two confirmed from smash4, but they are not obligated to tell use more. We do mot know the final character count yet. But we expect more to come later. Could be with music when we get geno.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Not sure if I said this in the thread yet, but I find it strange that we haven't gotten a Mario or Pokemon remix yet. Since Metroid, Splatoon, Castlevania, DK, and FE got a remix on or shortly after the date of a character reveal from their franchises, do you think they're purposely holding off on remixes until the reveal of relevant newcomers?

Ex: Paper Mario = Paper Mario Medley 2; Gen 7 Pokemon = Su/Mo Battle Theme
If Paper Mario gets in Sora will be probably end up being the Square rep.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Could mean nothing, but it does feel like we have a pattern.

One week after the Inklings were first officially shown off in Smash, Splatoon got a remix.
The same day Ridley was revealed, Metroid got a remix.
The same day Simon and Richter were revealed, Castlevania got a remix.
One week after K. Rool was revealed, Donkey Kong got a remix.
Two weeks after Chrom was revealed, Fire Emblem got a remix.

Excluding franchises that aren't already represented on the roster, we still have:

:ultmario::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultwario::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Obviously most of these franchises won't be receiving a newcomer, so we could see a new track from :ulticeclimbers: or :ultwario: any day now. Others might be held off purposely to tie in with someone new.

Ultimate has been breaking patterns left and right, so I could easily see this going down in flames. Still, I find it odd that popular franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, and AC are on this list. Perhaps a hint towards Geno/Paper Mario, a Gen 7 rep, Shadow, and Isabelle?
My problem with this, no Kirby or Zelda rep. Especially Kirby. Unless another song gets posted from the series after their reveal which either a. breaks the pattern or b. if you don't think it breaks the pattern then at the very least it makes it useless as a way to predict newcomers as any series could repeat.

So yeah if this were to follow through it would mean no Kirby rep for sure and I don't like that.
That's a misquote from Nintendo Everything. The 100 man team actually referred to the 100 stages.... They even fixed it in their translation of the entire article.
Thank you for clarifying! 100 people seemed really low for a game of this scale lol.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Despite them being unplayable, it's nice to see Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Krystal, Knuckles, and Sukapon in the game as Assist trophies.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'm pretty convinced Geno's gonna be an assist trophy.

Also, do you guys think they'll keep all the mii outfits, or just give them some presets for different colors slots?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, has the Dante rumor been proven fake or is it still going?
The Dante one is still going along, with the leak that whenever I mention it people get hecka uncivil.

I guess this is the only place on the internet that doesn't want a Goth GF.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm pretty convinced Geno's gonna be an assist trophy.

Also, do you guys think they'll keep all the mii outfits, or just give them some presets for different colors slots?
I’m not look at Rool

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Geno and Paper Mario could both get in Smash, but it we were to only get one, I don't think Geno would automatically be the winner. Paper Mario was extremely popular during the ballot as well, and since he already has a stage, he might seem like a more logical addition to Sakurai.

It's still possible that we could get both, but I have to remind myself of how many characters are fighting for those limited spots. We got Issac, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, a Gen 7 Pokemon, and a whole lot more to choose from. Not everyone can get added.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
And yet, somehow, none of them knew who Richter was, smh...
I knew that line through pop culture/memes, but I wasn't aware that Richter was the specific Belmont who fought Dracula in that game's intro. It could have been the same for a lot of others.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am still confident we are getting a story mode.
You never expect what Sakurai will do.
Maybe those CGi cutscenes were play and he used them to test out Subspace?
Plus, "Spirits" totally sounds like something like Subspace.

D

Deleted member

I knew that line through pop culture/memes, but I wasn't aware that Richter was the specific Belmont who fought Dracula in that game's intro. It could have been the same for a lot of others.
That was it for me as well. I knew it from hearing it, but I had always assumed it was just Simon who had said it since he was the only Belmont I could name.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Considering how stubborn Square Enix is being with Final Fantasy VII, Geno would be lucky to get any kind of appearance outside of a mere Mii outfit reference.
I don't know it's probably a different case for Geno. Cloud and FF is their biggest character and game series while Geno is a side character in a game they only half own.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I am still confident we are getting a story mode.
You never expect what Sakurai will do.
Maybe those CGi cutscenes were play and he used them to test out Subspace?
Plus, "Spirits" totally sounds like something like Subspace.
I'm not as confident in a story mode. Based on how many stages and characters we're getting, a story mode equivalent to SSE seems like a stretch.

Also, I think the cutscenes we get from the trailers were meant to be a replacement. Pretty sure that's why Smash 4 was the first game to make animated trailers for almost all of its characters.

Considering how stubborn Square Enix is being with Final Fantasy VII, Geno would be lucky to get any kind of appearance outside of a mere Mii outfit reference.
Worst-case scenario, the Geno Mii costume will return. The continuous lack of new FF content makes me wonder though. So far, it feels like all of the SE-owned content is old copy and pasted materials from Smash Wii U.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not as confident in a story mode. Based on how many stages and characters we're getting, a story mode equivalent to SSE seems like a stretch.

Also, I think the cutscenes we get from the trailers were meant to be a replacement. Pretty sure that's why Smash 4 was the first game to make animated trailers for almost all of its characters.
That is true, but you never know. Sakurai wants to go out with a bang with this game, and everyone requested a new story mode, so we are getting something like Brawl's Adventure Mode.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Sakurai literally said this in an interview years ago which I can't be bothered finding

D

Deleted member

I'm not totally in the know, but in what way are they being stubborn with VII? Did Sakurai ask for more than one character and they declined? Like, how are they being stubborn; what happened?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'm not totally in the know, but in what way are they being stubborn with VII? Did Sakurai ask for more than one character and they declined? Like, how are they being stubborn; what happened?
Only 2 music tracks. No english voice for Cloud. No trophies beside Cloud. No assist trophies.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I'm personally leaning towards no on a Story/Adventure Mode. Sakurai said way back that the reason why he didn't include one in Smash 4 is because when Brawl was released, everyone was quick to upload all of the cutscenes on video streaming sites like YouTube and Nicovideo, and he really wanted all of them to be a surprise.

I know the man is no stranger to going back on his word (as we've seen with characters such as Villager and Ridley), but I feel like we should trust him on this one. I personally would neither be surprised nor disappointed if we got nothing of the sort.

D

Deleted member

Only 2 music tracks. No english voice for Cloud. No trophies beside Cloud. No assist trophies.
Ah, I see. Though to be fair, the Eng VA for Cloud in Kingdom Hearts & Advent Children were pretty subpar, so that's no real loss.

There's also the chance that Sakurai didn't really request much in the way of music for Cloud. He might have just asked for Cloud and a couple of tracks. Battle & Boss Music tracks are really all that's totally necessary. Don't forget that they allowed Sakurai to use Midgar, Bahamut, Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan, and Odin for a unique stage too. Square actually gave more to Sakurai for Smash than some of you are really giving credit for.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Isn't that because there are a whole load of licensing issues with Final Fantasy music? I remember somebody talking about that the other day.

Something like some guy has to be paid (outside of Square Enix) for the songs and it's ridiculously expensive or something like that.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
There's also the rumor that it's not Square, but Nobuo Uematsu (FFVII's music composer) the one who that is difficult to work with in regards to FFVII soundtrack.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ah, I see. Though to be fair, the Eng VA for Cloud in Kingdom Hearts & Advent Children were pretty subpar, so that's no real loss.

There's also the chance that Sakurai didn't really request much in the way of music for Cloud. He might have just asked for Cloud and a couple of tracks. Battle & Boss Music tracks are really all that's totally necessary. Don't forget that they allowed Sakurai to use Midgar, Bahamut, Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan, and Odin for a unique stage too. Square actually gave more to Sakurai for Smash than some of you are really giving credit for.
and there might be more, we don't know.

Though other than Geno the only thing non-final fantasy that would make sense is Lara Croft.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Bahamut, Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan, and Odin could've at least been trophies but noooooooooo

Isn't that because there are a whole load of licensing issues with Final Fantasy music? I remember somebody talking about that the other day.

Something like some guy has to be paid (outside of Square Enix) for the songs and it's ridiculously expensive or something like that.
I think it's because the FF7 composer has left Square but he owns the music

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, the lack of Cloud's English voice is because of union reasons. Steve Burton is a union actor, Smash is non-union, and Burton's contract requires him to be credited, so unlike other union actors like Pit or Viridi's English VAs, he cannot go uncredited.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

As well as giving him his Advent Children costume and allowing for two amiibo figures.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
To be fair, the lack of Cloud's English voice is because of union reasons. Steve Burton is a union actor, Smash is non-union, and Burton's contract requires him to be credited, so unlike other union actors like Pit or Viridi's English VAs, he cannot go uncredited.
What's the harm in putting his name in the credits?

As well as giving him his Advent Children costume and allowing for two amiibo figures.
And those amiibos took TWO YEARS to release

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Does the american version of XBC2 lets you change the language to japanese?

I usually despise english dubbings on generic anime settings (when done right english dubbs can be amazing, see metal gear or bayonetta) but for more common anime stuff tend to be just incredible boring.

That being said, i really want to say that i was impressed with how much I enjoyed the dubbing in PuyoPuyo Tetris battle.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wish a leaker would say Chun-Li or Tifa is in the game so I can get my hopes up.

These 'piggyback' guys are the worst.

Oh... who wants a icon for Gotheitelle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom