• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Isn't that because there are a whole load of licensing issues with Final Fantasy music? I remember somebody talking about that the other day.

Something like some guy has to be paid (outside of Square Enix) for the songs and it's ridiculously expensive or something like that.
I really want a source for this. I'd believe it, but it'd be great to have a definitive source that talks about these issues.

What's the harm in putting his name in the credits?
He has to be credited by his name and his union. Smash doesn't do credits that way. There's nothing saying Nintendo couldn't have tried to work out an arrangement, though. In Brawl, David Hayter (Snake) is credited as "David Hayter (Special Guest)" due to him being a union actor, but I have no clue why they didn't do this with Cloud. Could've been due to the limited budget of the DLC, could've been a lack of caring, who knows for sure?

It's more Nintendo not working with unions than Squeenix in this case though.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Can a mod pls check Bob-omb chat.
(sorry if I am little bit excessive it was 6hours with Zinith)

D

Deleted member

And those amiibos took TWO YEARS to release
Who's? The English VA? He didnt have any lines! Why should he receive credit for something he didn't do?
Should we have had Bob Hoskins & John Leguizamo receive credit for Mario & Luigi because they voiced them too before? How about Dennis Hopper for Bowser? Or both voice actors for Megaman; the animated series one and the fugly one from "Captain N: Game Master"?

Sorry to rant a bit there, but it seems stupid to credit someone here for something they did in another project entirely.
As far as the Amiibo's are concerned, that's on Nintendo; not Square.

I wish a leaker would say Chun-Li or Tifa is in the game so I can get my hopes up.

These 'piggyback' guys are the worst.

Oh... who wants a icon for Gotheitelle?
I do. I think that leak regarding Gardevoir & Gothitelle is stupid, but I really would like Gothitelle to be playable. She saved my blind Nuzlocke through that game when I first played; She was my MVP.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I tried to make a Bob Hoskins/John Leguizamo voice mod for Smash 4. It didn't go so well.
Probably because it was hard to tell if you were playing as Mario or Eddie Valiant from Who Framed Roger Rabbit since he sounded exactly the same in both movies lol.

Also, I'd imagine it'd be super weird. Were you at least able to change their names to Mario Mario and Luigi Mario?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's funny that in the past, we got localisations way after the initial release, and the dubs were terrible, generally because they hired amateurs (or, like, grabbed someone from the office or something).

Now, we get localisations near to Japanese release... and the dubs are terrible because the actors don't get good direction.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
It's shifted but always related to business issues. Before it was good voice acting was too expensive to produce, now it seems like they are not given enough time to put out a decent product.

I remember people saying Subspace style cutscenes were unlikely because the game's file size is nearly the same as Smash 4, but with Sakurai mentioning the huge leap in compression technology in his recent Famitsu article where he said, I think, the songs in this game take up a quarter of the space compared to Smash 4, I'm really starting to think we're going to have fleshed out cutscenes again. Either that or the roster is actually bigger than we thought.
I think it's unlikely due to comments in the past from Sakurai that suggests the Subspace adventure mode was a giant Timesink in regards to Brawl's development and given what we've already seen in the game it seems unlikely that they're going to devote a large amount of resources to something like that. I expected some more in the middle between Melee bare basic adventure mode and the more in-depth Subspace. I'm not really expecting too many flashy cutscene if there are any at all.

Bahamut, Ifrit, Ramuh, Leviathan, and Odin could've at least been trophies but noooooooooo

I think it's because the FF7 composer has left Square but he owns the music
SquareEnix process in regards to music is a bit complicated. More often then not when a game is published those like Konami, Capcom, Nintendo etc usually retain the rights to a lot of the music in a given title. So basically for example Konami owns the rights to all the Castlevania music which means they can basically hand it to anyone they choose to do so without needing the direct involvement of the original composers. Now, there are of course arguments that this is not the most ethical practice in the world but that's another issue.

For some reason much of the Final Fantasy music is not actually control strictly by SquareEnix and requires the involvement of the original composers which involves an increase in the licensing fees required to obtain the rights to use such music. Things like their concerts like Distant Worlds means they deal with issues in the music industry as well making it even more confusing. Not to mention SquareEnix is really really picky with their IP even within their own company. As someone who plays FFXIV it has been revealed a few times that the process in which the FFXIV has to go through to include past elements in pretty crazy as a whole.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Probably because it was hard to tell if you were playing as Mario or Eddie Valiant from Who Framed Roger Rabbit since he sounded exactly the same in both movies lol.

Also, I'd imagine it'd be super weird. Were you at least able to change their names to Mario Mario and Luigi Mario?
I didn't get that far but I wanted to lol. The issue was that the movie's audio (or at least the copy I had) had terrible sound, so the voice clips sounded like trash in game.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Does the american version of XBC2 lets you change the language to japanese?

I usually despise english dubbings on generic anime settings (when done right english dubbs can be amazing, see metal gear or bayonetta) but for more common anime stuff tend to be just incredible boring.

That being said, i really want to say that i was impressed with how much I enjoyed the dubbing in PuyoPuyo Tetris battle.
it does but you need to download a free patch on the eShop

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
now this is a good leak if it wasn't edited after that date that is.
It hasn't been edited. I took the screenshot a long while back, and had been keeping tabs on it even longer out of blind hope. :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The fact that Jump Up Super Star is in the game yet it wasn't shown in a blog yet.

Maybe the ending song in Odyssey...
They better not **** with that song
Could mean nothing, but it does feel like we have a pattern.

One week after the Inklings were first officially shown off in Smash, Splatoon got a remix.
The same day Ridley was revealed, Metroid got a remix.
The same day Simon and Richter were revealed, Castlevania got a remix.
One week after K. Rool was revealed, Donkey Kong got a remix.
Two weeks after Chrom was revealed, Fire Emblem got a remix.

Excluding franchises that aren't already represented on the roster, we still have:

:ultmario::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultwario::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Obviously most of these franchises won't be receiving a newcomer, so we could see a new track from :ulticeclimbers: or :ultwario: any day now. Others might be held off purposely to tie in with someone new.

Ultimate has been breaking patterns left and right, so I could easily see this going down in flames. Still, I find it odd that popular franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, and AC are on this list. Perhaps a hint towards Geno/Paper Mario, a Gen 7 rep, Shadow, and Isabelle?
:ultmario:- Paper Mario/Geno/...Dr.Luigi
:ultyoshi:- none
:ultfox:- Slippy/Peppy/James
:ultpikachu:- someone idk
:ultness:- Ninten at best
:ulticeclimbers:- none
:ultgnw:- none
:ultpit:- Viridi/Medusa/Hades
:ultwario:- ...captain syrup...not really
:ultsonic:- Ow The Edge
:ultolimar:- none
:ultrob:- none
:ultvillager:- Isabelle
:ultwiifittrainer:- none
:ultlittlemac:- nobody other than Glass Joe will be allowed
:ultshulk:- Rex and Pyra/Mythra or Elma
:ultduckhunt:- none
:ultcloud:- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne

All I can think of

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know who's responsible for the lack of FF content, but clearly there's been some struggle. Looking at everything together, a single group or person can't be responsible for all of this.

- No remixes
- Only two songs
- Only the Japanese VA
- No FF trophies beyond Cloud
- Two years for amiibo to release

We've gotten a few nice things, but compared to the other third-parties, FF is pretty barebones. Might be more trouble than it's worth for Nintendo to jump through all these hoops, especially since FF has no plans to pop up on the Switch.

As far as the Amiibo's are concerned, that's on Nintendo; not Square.
Not necessarily. If Nintendo is making merchandise from a third-party character, an agreement must be made on how much of the profit is given to the company from each sale.

It's possible Nintendo is the one at fault for the long wait, but it's a little odd how the other DLC characters took less than a year before they got an amiibo. That makes me think there was trouble with negotiating.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The DK Rap, along with a good portion of 2+ minute BGM tracks (such as the ones from the Fire Emblem series) have not been spared, so don't be too surprised if Super Mario Odyssey's music gets shortened as well.
I will fight everyone to keep Odyssey music the way it is right now

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So no doubt everybody here is super hyped for the release of ultimate. But let's do a hypothetical scenario.

You finally pop in that sweet, sweet smash cartridge and start to play your much anticipated title when you notice ________________, which totally kills your hype and leaves you disappointed.

What would be the most disappointing thing to find for you and would it be enough to not play the game or limit your playtime?

For me it would be two things. Online not working and if there are clear disparities between characters with some being way too overpowered ala Metaknight in brawl.

LetterO

Smash Lord
So no doubt everybody here is super hyped for the release of ultimate. But let's do a hypothetical scenario.

You finally pop in that sweet, sweet smash cartridge and start to play your much anticipated title when you notice ________________, which totally kills your hype and leaves you disappointed.

What would be the most disappointing thing to find for you and would it be enough to not play the game or limit your playtime?

For me it would be two things. Online not working and if there are clear disparities between characters with some being way too overpowered ala Metaknight in brawl.
I’d already be yelling online about how a RH character isnt in and how i’m not going to buy the game , but then buying the game anyways because how could I not?

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077

Tripping.

/s (?)

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So the Elma Blade dropped.
Now all that is left is an X port and a Smash announcement now :^)
(or maybe nothing else :( )

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

A Gen 1 newcomer.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

The low tier placement of :ultpit:...and :ultbayonetta: still no.1

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

And those amiibos took TWO YEARS to release
Unions are picky. Some will not allow you to work in a non-Union project, which is why some actors use pseudonyms or go uncredited.

They did, likely to work out rights to include the Player 2 variants.

D

Deleted member

Just for fun, here's a master list of songs that were not trimmed to be less than 2:30, or are new songs that are longer than 2:30:
Master Core [3:22]
Mega Man 2 Retro Medley [3:15]
Ending (Yoshi's Story) [2:53]
Trophy Rush [3:09]
Mechanical Rhythm [2:47]
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Vocals) [3:41]
Jungle Level [2:35]
Battle! (Dialga / Palkia) / Spear Pillar [3:04]
Fire Emblem Theme [2:54]
WarioWare, Inc. Medley [2:31]
Shin Onigashima Medley [3:16]
Tetris: Type B [2:46]
Battle Scene / Final Boss (Golden Sun) [2:48]
Delfino Plaza [2:48]
Super Mario Galaxy [2:52]
Mangrove Cove [3:22]
Multiplayer (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) [2:48]
Forest of Hope [2:49]
Rhythm Boxing [2:59]
Right There, Ride On [2:32]
Final Destination (Brawl) [2:45]
Master Fortress: Second Wave [2:35]
ST01: Roll Out, Wonderful 100! [2:43]
Jergingha - Planet Destruction Form [3:11]
-----------------------------------------------
Fountain of Dreams (Melee) [2:42]
Ryu Stage [2:38]
Hyrule Field Theme [2:34]
One-Winged Angel [4:01]
One Of A Kind [4:24]
Red & Black [2:34]
After Burner (∞ Climax Mix) [5:05]
Let's Dance, Boys! [3:34]
The Legend Of Aesir [3:33]
Lost in Thoughts All Alone [2:39]
The Bayonetta music can be quite long. I'd love to have a list of all the cut music now, just to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
My prediction for the rest of the roster:
Tapu Koko
Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Geno
Ken echo
Shadow echo
Isabelle echo
Dixie Kong echo
Impa echo
Black Knight echo

D

Deleted member

You'd have to be some kind of monster to cut any second from that...
Fair, but they did also remove the best part of One Who Gets In Our Way, cut Gaur Plain down, and removed 20 seconds from Engage the Enemy to create an extremely jarring cut so...

At least You Will Know Our Names and Time to Fight were sparred.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't really hang around here much now a days, but man, the possible newcomers forum looks downright weird with K. Rool and Ridley absent.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

I would be disappointed if the default Online modes were essentially the same as Smash 4.
Character balance they can potentially fix, but I'll still be disappointed if most of my favorites are overly weak.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sakurai literally said this in an interview years ago which I can't be bothered finding
I hope all past trailers are in this one. Add in the melee intro, the brawl reveal, any cinematics introducing new characters, the smash4 trailers and the ultimate reveals. I want it all. And i want it now!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't really hang around here much now a days, but man, the possible newcomers forum looks downright weird with K. Rool and Ridley absent.
Really hope it'll look weirder come November. There are several other characters there (Issac/Geno) that deserve to get in at this point with them

Roberk

Smash Champion

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Really hope it'll look weirder come November. There are several other characters there (Issac/Geno) that deserve to get in at this point with them
I'm really doubtful on Isaac for a few reasons, but he was one of my most wanted since Brawl so I'd be excited for him.

Also, while this does not say anything about her Smash chances, it looks like Elma wasn't forgotten.

https://youtu.be/s92pKYwVGIQ

(I completely forgot how to embed YouTube videos, haha)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
“Surprise.” Elma for Smash? This is what I was talking about for an Elma reveal: Torna info leading to a Smash announcement.

It could just be Elma in XC2 but hey it’s better than chairs.
It's already been announced.

Check around the 31 minute mark of the video.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So now let's play a game.

What's the character you want revealed and who do we gotta kill to make it happen :D
Amaterasu, and unfortunately the Inklings gotta die when Ammy marks them with the lightning symbol.

Sorry Inklings, but when it comes to ink, and the Art of Combat, there can only be one.

As a bonus I found my character reveal for Isabelle quite a few posts back that ends up with Bowser and Bowser Jr. dead.
Bowser, and Bowser Jr. would be next. Bowser and his son (in his clown car) are making a ruckus in Smashville, bullying, stealing, painting graffiti on the trees, and worst of all... jaywalking. The Villager would help, but he's busy cutting a giant tree for lumber for a neighbor not to far away, so he asks Isabelle to put a stop to it. She approaches them while also carrying a stack of heavy papers hoping to teach them about good manners, and kindness.

Her mind also wanders back to that mysterious envelope she got with, a weird circle and cross symbol, the same one that her mayor got. Suddenly
*a wild rock appears*. She trips on the rock, sending the papers flying in the wind, and into the face of a neighbor, upstairs watering their plant

Who knocks the giant flowerpot over.

Which hits a bird.

Who's tailspins out of the sky

Who's beak pops a balloon holding a present, causing it to fall (before the bird gains control and fly's way)

Which contains a Bowling ball

That hits the palm tree that Bowser and son was under.

Which knocks off the Coconut.

That hits Bowser in the head, with the bowling ball and the hard flowerpot bombarding him also.

He faints, falling backwards landing in his son's tiny car. Bowser Jr. loses control of the car while stuck in it and crashes into the same tree Villager was chopping, causing it to fall over on top of the two Koopas. The giant tree hits them head on, and literally hammers them into the ground six feet under with two big stones unearthed where they stood at the same time.

Isabelle gets up after tripping, wondering where the Koopa duo went, but quickly doesn't worry about it since they're gone, glad that they hopefully learned their lesson about good manners by themselves, and probably left to teach kindness and good manners to others :)

Villager waves to Isabelle, thanking her for keeping the town peaceful, both of them unaware of what really happened.

Cue Splash art:

Isabelle Delivers the Win.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm really doubtful on Isaac for a few reasons, but he was one of my most wanted since Brawl so I'd be excited for him.

Also, while this does not say anything about her Smash chances, it looks like Elma wasn't forgotten.

https://youtu.be/s92pKYwVGIQ

(I completely forgot how to embed YouTube videos, haha)
Yeah haha, I've been lurking these forums for about 10 years now, so I just feel for Isaac and Geno fans because I still see some of the same people voting for them time and time again. To their credit, both characters have a signficant following, so we'll see, but yeah I can definitely see the arguments against Isaac (at least) for the time being. And Elma seems pretty cool, it'd be more appropriate to add her over Rex/Pyra at this moment.

Man, hopefully all 3 make it in lol (nearly impossible but I'd love to eat my words)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The DK Rap, along with a good portion of 2+ minute BGM tracks (such as the ones from the Fire Emblem series) have not been spared, so don't be too surprised if Super Mario Odyssey's music gets shortened as well.
They usually leave the original songs alone; it's the remixes that get cut down to fit. I'd expect Jump Up'll get in as original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom