• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I would like Tetra, she would make a decent counterpart to Tink. But Skull Kid is the best and most likely choice. FE probably has too many characters but it is very popular in Nintendo's native country so it makes a bit more sense. As far as I can tell, Zelda and FE's popularity are inversed depending on region: in Japan FE is very popular while in the west it's more niche, while with Zelda it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Hate to distract from the current debate, but I'm a bit bored and just thought I'd get people's opinions....or in more common board terms...Play a Game.
I just want to see what people would choose given the following restrictions: 4 first-party Newcomers, 1 third-party newcomer that HASN'T been highly requested yet (Geno, Shadow, Bajo-Kazooie), 2 Echoes for already confirmed characters.

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
2. Pheramosa/Buzzwole (working as a duo that switch out similarly to how Pokemon Trainer switches out Pokemon)
3. Hades
4. Magikoopa/Kamek (I grew up with him named Magikoopa, so I just put both names)

(3rd Party Newcomer)
5. Neku Sakuraba (would be a great, blindsided SE rep for the community lol)

(Echoes)
6. Dry Bowser (For Bowser....obviously lol)
7. Medusa (For Palutena; switch out some moves for Palutena's old customs as the data is still available and only aesthetic change would be needed)
First party

1) Skull Kid
2) Bandanna Dee
3) Dixie Kong
4) Impa

3rd Party that’s not Banjo or Geno

1) Rayman

Echoes

1) Medusa (Palutena)
2) Celica (Robin)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So, I searched the internet for assets, grabbed many icons from smash users (such as Lanky_gunner, splat, Jam, etc.) and found franchise logos also. I wish I could quote everyone, but I cannot refind some of the assets, but I give credit to all those people who are excellent creators. Final Predictions are as Follows:

isaac.PNG

felix.PNG

lloyd_irving.PNG

heihachi.PNG

banjo_kazooie.PNG

dante.PNG

Going to make them all more standard later since I made many more and will make an imgur to point to. But enjoy.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Anyone bothered by the fact that Fire Emblem has more characters playable in Ultimate than Zelda so far?
At first, maybe. After thinking it over for a few weeks? Nah. Characters are characters; it really doesn't matter what series they come from as long as they're fun to play as.

I feel like thinking a character "deserves" to be in is kinda taking things a little too personally. I mean, these characters aren't real people. They're digital, pixel characters that don't think or feel, as they're fiction, so...I dunno, I can't really think that way about 'em, lol. If the character is fun to play as and has good ties to Nintendo, who cares where they come from? That's how I feel, at least.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Hey so I just want to point out that that quote leak that was posted last night is currently completely undebunkable. It didn't do anything stupid to make it so that its obviously fake, and every character it suggested is supremely likely, and matches up with what Vergeben's been saying (though obviously that means nothing with how easy that is to do, but its worth pointing out)

Since y'all might be interested, the characters its saying are:
Unknown Pokemon Rep (Most likely, at least)
Skull Kid
Isaac
Waddle Dee
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Dixie (Diddy echo)
Isabelle (Most likely a villager echo)
Jin Kazama (from Tekken!)
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Shadow the Hedgehog (i dont even need to say who he's an echo of)
Ken (i don't have to say it here either)

The last character is one that literally nobody has been able to figure out, but I've hypothesized that it could be Elma, but I dunno. Now, obviously I could just be... way too into this leak because it has four of my biggest wants on it, but its worth noting how none of these characters have been deconfirmed, and all have something going for them.

Isabelle, Ken, Poke rep, and Geno all have the Vergeben leak going for them, so they might as well already be confirmed from where I'm standing (Worth noting is that Vergeben has never definitively stated it was Incineroar, just that he was assuming it was, which is interesting). As far as echoes go, Dixie and Shadow are obvious choices, with evidence for Dixie being that Diddy's jab was changed, and shadow having gone missing as an Assist Trophy. Skull Kid is also MIA, and like Shadow seems to have been replaced with a very similar Assist Character (thematically, I mean). Isaac is also missing, and Sakurai has kind of teased him at this point. Waddle Dee has the pure popularity behind him, and a Rhythm Heaven rep has that they were cut previously as evidence. Jin has the obvious connections with Bandai going on, and Banjo has Nintendo's frankly weird, chummy relationship with Microsoft.

Final thing to note is that this roster ends up completely even (86), no matter if you remove the echoes (76), or cut Pokemon Trainer down to one slot (84, 74), which means the roster is completely feasible with that one new mode everyone's saying the roster has to be connected to. There are also only 13 non-echo newcomers, making it the smallest batch of newcomers in franchise history (minus the first game, obviously), which goes with what Sakurai said of not expecting too many new characters. Though obviously if you put in the echoes, it becomes the largest batch at 21.

Speaking hypothetically, if this is real, then this is a fantastic roster. It has everything I personally want out of the game, and is basically truly an ultimate experience. New reps for long neglected franchises, excellent third parties, and a small but fun selection of completely new franchises. Speaking of this as a fake leak, which is still a massive possibility, this is one of the best I've seen. No drama BS, just going straight to cryptic hints, which in turn make trying to figure out the characters into a fun game rather than a generic list. It helps that some of the quotes used are genuinely really hard to figure out. 10/10 leak right here, making this stuff actually fun is great.

Now, I'm probably going to cling to this leak until it inevitably ends up being revealed as fake. I really, really just need something like this for the moment, because speculation and arguing about characters is the worst. The best thing I can compare it to is a colander filled with water, with a thin sheet of plastic covering the holes that you have to hold up to keep from falling to the ground. One wrong move, and the entire thing is gone.

that was probably too long for what its covering, nobody's probably going to read it. oh and if someone can figure out where this quote comes from, that would be appreciates

"Look above! They've been testing those three for awhile now! We will have to dig deeper for more though..."

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Hate to distract from the current debate, but I'm a bit bored and just thought I'd get people's opinions....or in more common board terms...Play a Game.
I just want to see what people would choose given the following restrictions: 4 first-party Newcomers, 1 third-party newcomer that HASN'T been highly requested yet (Geno, Shadow, Bajo-Kazooie), 2 Echoes for already confirmed characters.

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
2. Pheramosa/Buzzwole (working as a duo that switch out similarly to how Pokemon Trainer switches out Pokemon)
3. Hades
4. Magikoopa/Kamek (I grew up with him named Magikoopa, so I just put both names)

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
7. Medusa (For Palutena; switch out some moves for Palutena's old customs as the data is still available and only aesthetic change would be needed)
Sounds fun, I'll do it.

1st Party Newcomers
1. Skull Kid
2. Elma
3. Dixie Kong
4. Isaac

3rd Party Newcomer
5. Monster Hunter

Echoes
1. Isabelle (of Villager)
2. Impa (of Sheik, using her Skyward Sword design)

That was difficult! I'd really rather Impa as a unique fighter based on Hyrule Warriors, and I really want Medusa and Hilda as Echoes, too, but I had to make sacrifices.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
What's with this whole a character deserves to be in rule? We haven't even had 2 Xenoblade characters yet and now people are complaining how many we should get?! It doesn't matter if you hate the character or not, that doesn't mean they don't need to be in Smash. Both Elma and Rex contain movesets that would diversify the roster, especially for sword users.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating for 19 Zelda characters. I just don't like the idea of memorable characters like Midna/Ghirahim/Skull Kid/the Champions being wholly discarded as playable because "oh, they're only in one game" while other series can get "Oh this character who was only in this one game is a great choice to be playable!" As now, Zelda's got the most confirmed Assist trophies, which are mostly those memorable one-offs, and there are still two who've yet to show. Also, while the Dorf has been getting better and better, he's still at heart a Falcon clone. And that along with three versions of Link's moveset.

If we had gotten a Hyrule Warriors style Ganondorf since Melee with his own victory theme since Brawl, and Young/Toon Link both having movesets based on their respective games (i.e. Tink using the grappling hook, deku leaf, etc.), things wouldn't feel so lopsided. As it stands, I just think Zelda is one of the worst represented franchises based on its impact - True, it has more representation for most other series, but Zelda is just below Mario and Pokémon in terms of importance to Nintendo. Fire Emblem is just as cloney when it comes to characters (7 characters with 4 unique kits to Zelda's 6 characters with 3 unique kits), but is way less important of a franchise to Nintendo as a whole.

And when you say "it's kinda silly to act as if Zelda is being(and other "classic" series) are being "robbed" by having a currently ongoing series get a new character," are you implying that Zelda is not currently ongoing? If not, why is it then silly to hope that Zelda can finally get a unique character, something it hasn't gotten since Melee?

Like I said, I'm not anti-Elma. I'm anti-Elma and Rex and no great love for Zelda to counter it.
While I understand what you're saying it's not necessarily needed. The reason why Zelda hasn't been getting new reps is because they have a central group of characters already. Link, Zelda, and Ganon/Ganondorf. Everyone else, like you said, are one-off side characters. Now the whole point of the Xenoblade series is to change protagonist between games, thus it doesn't have a main cast. This is the reason why Fire Emblem gets so many reps, they keep getting games with new protags which need to need to be represented. If Zelda started getting new protags then I could see more characters coming. The one exception that I have to this is Midna(Who I felt should have been in Smash, but whatever). I do think Zelda needs more representation, but that doesn't mean other series don't. Hopefully Skull Kid gets added in order to put this to rest.

Edit: Zelda actually has a lot of representation in things like Assist Trophies, stages, and etc... Just not many playable characters

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Anyone bothered by the fact that Fire Emblem has more characters playable in Ultimate than Zelda so far?
As someone who’s 3 favorite Nintendo series are Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Smash, not at all.

Though I do hope for more Zelda reps, and I think one newcomer and one echo are likely.

If Minda on Wolf Link got in would that still count as a Link?

Asking the real questions.
Probably lol. But at least he wouldn’t use a sword

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sounds fun! I don’t want to overrep Zelda, so I’ll stick to one unique and one echo.

Newcomers:
Urbosa
Isabelle (could be an echo as well)
Decidueye
Spring Man

Third Party:
Dovahkiin

Echoes:
Tails (Sonic, adding Peach’s float)
Midna (Zelda, changing effects to darkness and having a twilight creature as the summon)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Hmm we're talking about the perfect Zelda roster now?

Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Young Link, Sheik, Impa, Midna, Vaati, Skull Kid, a Champion (I'd pick Mipha)

Boom there ya go
Link, Zelda, Young Link with ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ITEMS, Ganondorf, Ganon(A Link to the Past PLEASE), Skull Kid, Vaati, Shiek, Zant, Ghirahim, Toon Link(with Deku leaf, Magic armor, Skull Hammer and Wind waker), Tetra.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
besides that.... do we get any info of the gameplay differences between young link and toon link? Honestly i would prefered that they went back and did a little retcon making Tink and Yink super similar gameplaywise and say it was teh first echo, or whatever...

I can see Ying trying to work and play as Smash4 Link which would be different enough, but you guys think that he may be able to pull it?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
At first, maybe. After thinking it over for a few weeks? Nah. Characters are characters; it really doesn't matter what series they come from as long as they're fun to play as.

I feel like thinking a character "deserves" to be in is kinda taking things a little too personally. I mean, these characters aren't real people. They're digital, pixel characters that don't think or feel, as they're fiction, so...I dunno, I can't really think that way about 'em, lol. If the character is fun to play as and has good ties to Nintendo, who cares where they come from? That's how I feel, at least.
That works for ones that have already got in but not for ones that haven't gotten the chance. The fact that Sakurai has limited The Legend of Zelda, a flagship franchise with countless successful games with a rich legacy, to 4 characters, 2 of which clones, is crazy. Specially while Pokemon and Mario are walking around with plenty and Fire Emblem hilariously has what could be considered over representation.

It's not like LOZ is lacking usable characters

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think Zelda will get Skull Kid. I'm not entirely sure about Impa, though. She should be in Smash, however.

I think Dixie's chances have gone up because of Chrom being a mixture of FE characters than just Roy; as well as K. Rool's addition.

D

Deleted member

1. Ayumi Tachibana
  2. Tingle
  3. Old Porky
  4. Isaac with his Dark Dawn design
You didn't specify any restrictions for 3rd parties outside of not being popular requests, so:
  • Winnie the Pooh
You also didn't say echoes couldn't be stupid so:
  1. Star Butterfly (of Zelda)
  2. Homura Akemi (of Snake)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So if I got to pick new Zelbo characters, I'd go with Classic Ganon and Skull Kid. While I'm not a huge Zelda fan, like I am for Mega Man and Metroid, there's some cool options. Skull Kid always had a following and he looks cool. Classic/Beast Ganon has some neat magic and big pitchfork, so that can be interesting.

I guess it helps that I like the 90's Zelda Aesthetic waaaaaaay more than anything post TP.

D

Deleted member

Ooh, this sounds like fun!

Newcomers:

Bandana Waddle Dee
DJ Octavio
Skull Kid
Choir Boys

Third-Party Newcomer:

Dr. Eggman

Echoes:

Octoling for Inkling (I know, I know, who would've GUESSED I'd choose that!? I surprise myself sometimes.)
Isabelle for Villager

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I did read it
I wrote in my original post that: "I'm not saying they play the same" to which your immediate response was "they play differently". Forgive me for drawing the logical conclusion.

People need to stop generalizing one trait and acting like it's causing oversaturation just because this really generic denominator is common.
The generic denominator of all these complaints is an anime protagonist who wields a sword. This is a very specific trait that people find too common (see: synonyms of oversaturated) and find boring as a result.

No amount of bending over backwards with wordplay can change that point.

that's why "anime swordsmen" isn't a valid complaint. They all look and play differently.

It reminds me of complaimts regarding super hero movies and the "calarts style"
What makes someone else's opinion invalid? The fact it disagrees with yours? Nonsense. If people don't like some style (no matter how broad or how specific it is) their complaint is still a valid one.

If there are people out there who are currently upset the last two first party newcomers are reptile pirates? I don't agree with it but it's certainly a valid point.

Your superhero movie example is an equally valid complaint. I too disagree with it and think there's a lot of variety in superhero movies, but I'd complain about horror as a genre and there's plenty there too.

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
(1st Part Newcomers)
1. Muddy Mole - Mole Mania
2. Incineroar - Pokemon
3. Spring Man - A.R.M.S.
4. Skull Kid - Legend of Zelda

(3rd Party Newcomer)
5. Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot

(Echoes)
6. Slippy (Fox Echo) - Star Fox
7. Isabelle (Villager Echo) - Animal Crossing

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The Legend of Zelda newcomer I wanted most got deconfirmed again, being Midna. I think she has crazy moveset potential no matter which way you look at her. She'd be crazy all on her own, with Wolf Link, with the Twili Wolves from Hyrule Warriors, or even alone in her Twili form. Hopefully one day she'll make the cut as a playable character. For now though, I'm happy with her as an Assist Trophy. Better than nothing.

Of course, there's other 'unimportant' or 'one-off' characters from the series that I'd love to see playable. Beast Ganon, Skull Kid, and Impa would all make me pretty damn happy. Although I care about them slightly less, I'd also be happy with Tetra, Vaati, or any one of the Champions. Only character from The Legend of Zelda I wouldn't want to see would be Tingle.

Well, it's not over yet. There are still a few more characters yet to be revealed. If we get Skull Kid, then at least The Legend of Zelda would be equal to Fire Emblem. If we got Skull Kid and Impa, than the series would, rightfully, be greater.

It helps if you look at the clone characters as 'lesser' characters. Like glorified alts, hence why the option exists to have clones share a slot with their originals. In that case, Fire Emblem currently has five characters to The Legend of Zelda's six.

Plus, at least the Legend of Zelda has more stages than Fire Emblem. The trophy and music track counts aren't confirmed for either series yet, so that could go either way.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we’re trying to rep Zelda fairly, I’d probably put in Skull Kid, Impa, and - despite my hatred for him - Tingle.

All of them are recurring characters, major players, have popularity, and are important to the respective games they appear in

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
1st Party

1. Isaac
2. Elma
3. Icineroar
4. Dixie Kong

3rd Party
Jin Kazama or Ryu Hayabusa. If I'm gonna be a bit pickier, I'm choosing Jin over Heihachi since he's my main in Tekken, and still about as important.

Screw it, Mega Man X. That's my *****.

Echoes
Protoman/Roll/Bass for Mega Man (only one of them though), could use his custom attacks, like Beat or something to set them apart a bit more.
Tails for Sonic, since the Up-B can be taken from one of the characters who fly.

EDIT: Gave it a second thought, Skull Kid would the 5th choice for me. Elma first.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
If we’re trying to rep Zelda fairly, I’d probably put in Skull Kid, Impa, and - despite my hatred for him - Tingle.

All of them are recurring characters, major players, have popularity, and are important to the respective games they appear in
Ew, no thanks to Tingle. Skull Kid + Impa + Hilda would be perfect Zelda representation IMO.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So, I searched the internet for assets, grabbed many icons from smash users (such as Lanky_gunner, splat, Jam, etc.) and found franchise logos also. I wish I could quote everyone, but I cannot refind some of the assets, but I give credit to all those people who are excellent creators. Final Predictions are as Follows
I hate to ask for requests, but I would love some for Deathborn, Chibi Robo, Doomguy, and Mike Jones... and maybe Elma, Skull Kid, Porky, and Rayman, and Goemon, and Boshi for those special people For the rest of the people here.

I would definitely put some in my sig

D

Deleted member

1. Ayumi Tachibana
  2. Tingle
  3. Old Porky
  4. Isaac with his Dark Dawn design
You didn't specify any restrictions for 3rd parties outside of not being popular requests, so:
  • Winnie the Pooh
You also didn't say echoes couldn't be stupid so:
  1. Star Butterfly (of Zelda)
  2. Homura Akemi (of Snake)
If its this one, I'm all for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
You gave me way too much free reign lol.

Unique:
1. Celica
2. Caeda
3. Chandelure
4. Isabelle

Less Popular Third Party:
5. Frogger

Echoes:
6. Birdo (for Yoshi, with neutral special replaced with a reskinned Blunderbuss-like attack)
7. Sans (for Ness, with up special replaced with Teleport)

:p

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I want to do this as well.

1st Party Newcomers
1. Starfy (please)
2. Porky
3. Slippy (I think he would be actually fun to play but his size is too weird to be a Fox echo)
4. Dark Matter from Kirby

3rd Party Newcomer
5. uhh I would say Bomberman but he is an assist... Dr. Wily would be cool. Maxwell from Scribblenauts has infinite possibilities, or a Drawn to Life character. I have no idea what to pick here.

Echoes
kiddy kong
Louie from Pikmin

e: yes winnie the pooh would be very fun. even more out of character than Villager but they can make ANYTHING work. Cloud echo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even with some people laughing about having too much free reign, I'm still seeing more unique choices (aside from Skull Kid in most lol) in these ideas than in 90% of the leaks from the past 2 months.

I also really want Sephipooh now.

Last edited by a moderator:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Every "x series deserves a playable newcomer," is pretty funny. You don't get characters who deserve to be playable, you get characters that Sakurai decides can be made playable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we wanna up the Zelda numbers, let's go full Echo Chamber!

03e- Twilight Link
16e- Impa
17e- Hilda or Twili Midna
23e- Toon Ganon
43e- Tetra

And as a newcomer, Skull Kid.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
1st Party:
Skull Kid
Pig Ganon(A Link to the Past)
A Pokémon trainer with synergistic pokemon
Kudgle(DKC2)

3rd party:
The Ashen One(Dark Souls 3)

Echoes:
That aren’t highly requested?
Don’t know.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Oh this is easy
1st Party:
1. Deathborn (F-Zero GX)
2. Mike Jones (Startropics)
3. Porky (Mother 2/Earthbound)
4. Skull Kid (Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

3rd Party:
1. Jehuty (Zone of the Enders)

Echoes:
1. Black Shadow (F-Zero): Captain Falcon Echo
2. Shadow The Hedgehog (Sonic The Hedgehog): Sonic Echo

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
New game, every third party gets an Echo. And every Echo gets an Echo( as in the new echos you add also get one.) for some horrible reason too, go nuts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even with some people laughing about having too much free reign, I'm still seeing more unique choices (aside from Skull Kid in most lol) in these ideas than in 90% of the leaks from the past 2 months.

I also really want Sephipooh now.
That's because fake leaks alwaus go for the "safe" choices. I remember that every fake leak back in Smash 4 had the Gematsu characters and the ones that didn't were ignored.
Which is kinda why I'm excited for more reveals, I can see already it won't be Banjo, Skull Kid, Isaac or Geno, it's going to be someone no one is expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom