• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Guys, you'll never believe this.

So you know Osamu Tezuka, the guy who pretty invented manga, and therefore anime?

Well I was reading things on the interwebs, and I came across an interview where he stated his inspiration.

I found an interview, where Tezuka stated exactly what inspired him to invent the iconic huge manga/anime eyes, and other defining features of the Japanese animation that are style famous today.

You'll never believe what it is.

Scrooge McDuck.
I'm not kidding.

Tezuka was so inspired by Carl Barkes' style he used in the Donald Duck comics, that it had a great effect on him.

The overly huge, cutesy eyes?
Scrooge did it first.

image.jpg

Look!
Together they even make a complete outfit!

Last edited:

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Indeed, they're not going to publish first party games that much for it, atleast in this year only.
I mostly see PS2 ports on the Vita now. It's a great console, indeed, but it's gonna need a lot more than just PS2 ports to get me interested.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Off topic... but I need some consulting with Club Nintendo. You know that 2014 Elite Status Gift, right? I got the Platinum status. I am still deciding which game to get.

I already have the following:
EarthBound
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
all the NES/GB Virtual Console games

So, I am undecided between these:
Game & Wario (maybe but it isn't exactly WarioWare...)
NES Remix (planning to get NES Remix Pack anyway)
Dr. Luigi (maybe)
Fluidity: Spin Cycle (maybe but I already have Fluidity on WiiWare)
Dillon's Rolling Western (maybe)
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (maybe but I already have the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong)

Got a recommendation?

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Off topic... but I need some consulting with Club Nintendo. You know that 2014 Elite Status Gift, right? I got the Platinum status. I am still deciding which game to get.

EarthBound

Dr. Luigi (maybe)
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (maybe but I already have the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong)

Got a recommendation?
The reward didn't expire yet?

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
GUYS GUY GUYS!!!! I have reason to believe that we will be getting 8 that's right 8 character reveals soon!!! Ok well before E3 some of you might remember how there was the three empty slots next to Pit on the bottom of the website when you clicked on a character?? Then three were confirmed and those slots were filled up! Now before a direct, not that they updated the website there are 8 empty slots!!!!!!!! Please???
djf.png

you may have to look closeley!

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice
That's a lie, it's impossible to break the hinges on any portable consoles Nintendo has ever made sans the GBA SP. We all know that they're made of the same stuff Gamecube controllers are made of.
This is a false statement. My neighbor, when he was 7, literally broke my Nintendo DS Lite right in half...

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

So you know Osamu Tezuka, the guy who pretty invented manga, and therefore anime?

Well I was reading things on the interwebs, and I came across an interview where he stated his inspiration.

I found an interview, where Tezuka stated exactly what inspired him to invent the iconic huge manga/anime eyes, and other defining features of the Japanese animation that are style famous today.

Scrooge McDuck.
I'm not kidding.

Tezuka was so inspired by Carl Barkes' style he used in the Donald Duck comics, that it had a great effect on him.

Scrooge did it first.

View attachment 21578

Look!
Yep, that's well known.

Which means that the "anime" style is in a way an offshoot of Disney art (certainly much more so than it is of any sort of classical Japanese art). They've diverged a lot since then, but you can still clearly tell they're of the same family. It's funny to think about when you read some of the sillier, less informed western vs. Japanese animation flame wars that spring up.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
GUYS GUY GUYS!!!! I have reason to believe that we will be getting 8 that's right 8 character reveals soon!!! Ok well before E3 some of you might remember how there was the three empty slots next to Pit on the bottom of the website when you clicked on a character?? Then three were confirmed and those slots were filled up! Now before a direct, not that they updated the website there are 8 empty slots!!!!!!!! Please???
View attachment 21581
Is this serious?

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Is this serious?
Yes, I just showed you a screen shot go check it out if you don't belive me. Last year right before E3 they updated the website and there were 3 suqares. Pacman, palutena, and mii was confirmed. After that, there were no squares. If I remember correctly it was like this but with the correct number of square before the smash direct.;

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

EarthBound

Dr. Luigi (maybe)

Got a recommendation?
There is no off topic on the Social Thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 21581
That's what I thought as well at first, but that would require the final roster to be a multiple of nine. So pretty much only 45 or 54 characters are possible. I think it means anything, but Pit is still very lonely.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 21581
Calm down killer, you are most likely the 800th million person that has pointed that out. Tbh it means nothing so... take a chill pill.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Scrooge McDuck.
I'm not kidding.

Scrooge did it first.

View attachment 21578

Look!
I had heard that Tezuka was heavily inspired by Disney. But I had figured that the larger eyes were inspired by Mickey Mouse. Having come from Scrooge McDuck is a bit surprising.

1700 pages is awesome.

Soul.

I still think there won't be another Smash Direct. I don't know why. The new character hype will be over in about 30 days, so yeah. If there's a Direct, it will be a normal Nintendo Direct with Smash Bros. being included on the things they talk about.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Just saying guys: 49 playable characters would allow 2 more newcomers and all the Brawl veterans besides Snake and the Trainer's Two.

D

Deleted member

Scrooge McDuck.
I'm not kidding.

Scrooge did it first.

View attachment 21578

Look!
And so everything traces back to Disney.
Disney is love.
Disney is life.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
That's what I thought as well at first, but that would require the final roster to be a multiple of nine. So pretty much only 49 or 58 characters are possible. I think it means anything, but Pit is still very lonely.:p
...45 is a multiple of 9. Not 49.

Then it's 54. Not 58.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, here's the Super Smash Bros veteran roll call.

:mario64: "Itsa Me, Mario" :4mario: :luigi64: "Yay for me, Luigi!" :4luigi: :link64: "I CANT WAIT TO BOMB SOME DODONGOS!!" :4link::yoshi64:"Yoshi!!!" :4yoshi::fox64: "Here I come!" :4fox::falcon64: "Falcon PAWNCH!!!!" :4falcon::pikachu64: "PIKA PIKA!!!" :4pikachu: :samus64: (Gives thumbs up Galactic Federation style) :4samus: :jigglypuff64: ABSENT :ness64: ABSENT :kirby64:M"HIIIIIIIIIII!" :4kirby: :dk64: "Grr HOO HOO" :4dk:

:bowsermelee: "BWAHAHAHA!!!":4bowser:
:marthmelee: "Minna, miteite kure!":4marth:
:icsmelee:ABSENT
:peachmelee:"MAAAAAAAARRRRRRRIIIIIIIIOOOOOOO!":4peach:
:zeldamelee:"You did NOT!":4zelda:
:sheikmelee:"I have been waiting for you!":4sheik:
:falcomelee: ABSENT
:mewtwomelee:ABSENT
:pichumelee:ABSENT
:drmario:ABSENT
:roymelee:ABSENT
:younglinkmelee:ABSENT
:gawmelee: (Muffled beeping as of now)
:ganondorfmelee:ABSENT
:metaknight: (Spreads his wings) :4metaknight:
:pit: "GREAT PALUTENA, VICTORY IS OURS!!!!" :4pit:
:zerosuitsamus: "No objections" :4zss:
:wario::warioc: ABSENT
:snake: ABSENT
:sonic: "NO COPYRIGHT LAW IN THE UNIVERSE IS GONNA STOP ME!!" :4sonic:
:pt: "Couldn't catch em all..."
:squirtle: ABSENT
:ivysaur:ABSENT
:charizard: "YOU BETCHA!!" :4charizard:
:ike: "Prepare yourself!" :4myfriends:
:dedede: "IT DONT MAKE SENSE TO ME!!!":4dedede:
:diddy: (Fires peanut popgun) :4diddy:
:lucario: "The aura is with me!" :4lucario:
:lucas:ABSENT
:olimar: "They carry, they fight, they multiply, and they get eaten.." :4olimar:
:rob: ABSENT
:snake: ABSENT... Snake, are you returning? Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEE!!!!"
:toonlink: "I'm the hero of winds" :4tlink:
:wolf:ABSENT

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...45 is a multiple of 9. Not 49.

Then it's 54. Not 58.
:facepalm:Wow, I feel stupid, excuse me while I edit that post.:facepalm: I think my mind thought multiple of seven at first, then jumped an extra nine.:facepalm:

:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I like when I see improvement in my artzzzz.

I've noticed lately I've been online using this site at like, 11:30 at night. I should stop doing that.
I know that feel. I know it so much and I hate it.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Still better than what I could do.
I guess I'm just a pessimist when it comes to myself. I'd say I'm average. At the time of drawing even the first one didn't look like a scarecrow. I though it was good but once its not fresh in your mind and you come back the best stuff I do looks like garbage. I'm sure the newest one I did will look bad to me by tomorrow lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom