• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
He only cares about the new player's experience it is pretty clear he can try to word it nicely if he wants.
I don't think he cares exclusively about new players. But it takes more precedence since he knows the fan-base will buy the game no matter what.(outside of those few who really care about how fast paced the game is) The competitive community or not. They aren't the only ones who like Smash Bros. They're just the ones that take Smash to the next level. Casual players love smash bros as well. Some casual players bought Smash Bros before. But once they do then they'll be hooked on the whole series.

D

Deleted member

Should I mark Homura as "confirmed" in my sig? She is technically in the game :4mii:

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No it doesnt, smash has always been a party game...
Super Smash Bros. is officially a Fighting Game. It has heavy party elements, however. This is the actual official genre classification by Nintendo themselves. Fighting/Party is the more accurate term, but a Party game is not really what Smash is like at all. Party games are things like being on a gameboard, moving pieces, and rolling dice, not actual fighting as its core gameplay.

SSB's core gameplay is definitely Fighting, so yes, it's a Fighting Game. Having elements from other genres is normal. It even has RPG elements here and there. To note, it's more similar to a Beat 'Em Up then a Party game in actual full design. Calling it nothing more than a Party game is grossly inaccurate.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Metal Sonic and Shadow? And from the looks of things, they're mostly unchanged?
Suddenly I'm interested. Though, it is concept art so they could still come out of this with steroids

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Suddenly I'm interested. Though, it is concept art so they could still come out of this with steroids
Just wait, they'll be wrapped up in bandages and have pointless scarfs before you know it.

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
So, I'm horrifically disappointed. After re-picking up Jigglypuff as my "FINE, I'LL USE A HIGH TIER, JEEZ" character and kicking ass, I thought I'd use her in Project M... man, she sucks. Like, seriously. I'm not one to advocate for nerf and buffs based on knee-jerk reactions, but I shouldn't be dying at 50% to an average Utilt.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, I'm horrifically disappointed. After re-picking up Jigglypuff as my "FINE, I'LL USE A HIGH TIER, JEEZ" character and kicking ***, I thought I'd use her in Project M... man, she sucks. Like, seriously. I'm not one to advocate for nerf and buffs based on knee-jerk reactions, but I shouldn't be dying at 50% to an average Utilt.
Capt. Falcon or Peach might have been better. Jigglypuff is hard to play

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Capt. Falcon or Peach might have been better. Jigglypuff is hard to play
She also has bad matchups against a LOT of the cast. So, I'm just gonna have to work harder to make her good, which I will be doing.

It just feels very weird, going from characters like Squirtle that work on exactly the same principle (get in, do a hit, get out), but having her suck so bad. I mean, Squirtle can actually survive being tapped very slightly. Jiggs can't.

I wanted to pick up Peach at some point but... eh. I just can't. She doesn't agree with me.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I personally wish the character was Blaze, but hey, what are you going to do. *Shrugs*

For the POTD I hope we get Jewel Satellite.

Soul.

29 days left until Smash 3DS releases in Japan.
They just uploaded a video about Mega Audino, lol... is that a good thing or a bad thing.
There is no new gameplay, you just see Audino's model and at the end of the video, it uses Heal Pulse or something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looks like they revealed Shadow and Metal Sonic for Sonic Boom. Miiverse users are probably going to get excited over that. lol

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
29 days left until Smash 3DS releases in Japan.
They just uploaded a video about Mega Audino, lol.
Seems like a waste of a Mega. There's far superior Fairy types like Sylveon and Florges. (assuming Audino doesn't get a godly stat boost)

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. is officially a Fighting Game. It has heavy party elements, however. This is the actual official genre classification by Nintendo themselves. Fighting/Party is the more accurate term, but a Party game is not really what Smash is like at all. Party games are things like being on a gameboard, moving pieces, and rolling dice, not actual fighting as its core gameplay.

SSB's core gameplay is definitely Fighting, so yes, it's a Fighting Game. Having elements from other genres is normal. It even has RPG elements here and there. To note, it's more similar to a Beat 'Em Up then a Party game in actual full design. Calling it nothing more than a Party game is grossly inaccurate.
Yeah, I didn't mean smash was a game like Mario Party, Wii Party or others like it... It is indeed a fighter, yes...
I think a good classification is a free for all fighter or something like that...
I just meant that smash was always made for the fun, frantic gameplay with friends first; it has never been specifically catered for any tournament/"hardcore" play... Nintendo is still a company trying to make "fun" games above all else...

It just bothers me that people put melee on such a pedestal, while it also was created to reach as many players as possible...
Smash 4 won't be melee, nor will it be brawl, smash 4 is smash 4; imo Sakurai shouldn't go out of his way to try to replicate the melee gameplay, just to cater to the "competitive smashers"; if one wants to play melee, one should play melee...
I guarantee you that smash will be a fun game, for veteran players and "new challengers" alike, no one will be left in the cold... Sakurai knows what he's doing...

Soul.

Seems like a waste of a Mega. There's far superior Fairy types like Sylveon and Florges. (assuming Audino doesn't get a godly stat boost)
Audino gets a buff on its Defense and Special Defense. While this may seem good, all it would do is "wall" and use Toxic since I don't know if its Attack or Special Attack are going to get a buff too. If they got one, preferably Special Attack, it would at least use something like Moonblast if it ever gets it.
Sylveon is the superior Fairy-type, as a Smogon user said. Compared to Florges, it has a base 95 HP, meaning that Wish heals more HP. The larger Special Defense doesn't matter because most of the time you're going to see a physically defensive Sylveon. Pixilate is better than Flower Veil. But yeah, Florges is one of, if not the best, Fairy-type in UU.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hyrule Warriors confirmed to be the most fabulous game ever created
Bravo Techmo Koei, you won.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I didn't mean smash was a game like Mario Party, Wii Party or others like it... It is indeed a fighter, yes...
I think a good classification is a free for all fighter or something like that...
I just meant that smash was always made for the fun, frantic gameplay with friends first; it has never been specifically catered for any tournament/"hardcore" play... Nintendo is still a company trying to make "fun" games above all else...

It just bothers me that people put melee on such a pedestal, while it also was created to reach as many players as possible...
Smash 4 won't be melee, nor will it be brawl, smash 4 is smash 4; imo Sakurai shouldn't go out of his way to try to replicate the melee gameplay, just to cater to the "competitive smashers"; if one wants to play melee, one should play melee...
I guarantee you that smash will be a fun game, for veteran players and "new challengers" alike, no one will be left in the cold... Sakurai knows what he's doing...

Oh, I agree. I think that's why calling it a "Party" game is a bad idea. It simply gives off the impression it's like "Mario Party", when it's really closer to a 2D version of Power Stone(except with a different way to win, Hit Points VS Stage Out).

I'm just going to say let's end the whole Melee thing quickly. That Melee VS Brawl stuff is horrible and gets topics locked. They're their own games, so let's just leave it at that.(and yes, I agree) I like all 3 versions I've played for entirely different reasons.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
Audino gets a buff on its Defense and Special Defense. While this may seem good, all it would do is "wall" and use Toxic since I don't know if its Attack or Special Attack are going to get a buff too. If they got one, preferably Special Attack, it would at least use something like Moonblast if it ever gets it.
Sylveon is the superior Fairy-type, as a Smogon user said. Compared to Florges, it has a base 95 HP, meaning that Wish heals more HP. The larger Special Defense doesn't matter because most of the time you're going to see a physically defensive Sylveon. Pixilate is better than Flower Veil. But yeah, Florges is one of, if not the best, Fairy-type in UU.
I love using Florges online and destroying people with Moonblast. It's way more satisfying knowing they just lost to a giant flower.

Soul.

I love using Florges online and destroying people with Moonblast. It's way more satisfying knowing they just lost to a giant flower.
I think you use Calm Mind Florges, if that's what you're saying. That thing is alright. Sets up on things like Heracross since Fairy resists Bug and Fighting.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So, I'm horrifically disappointed. After re-picking up Jigglypuff as my "FINE, I'LL USE A HIGH TIER, JEEZ" character and kicking ***, I thought I'd use her in Project M... man, she sucks. Like, seriously. I'm not one to advocate for nerf and buffs based on knee-jerk reactions, but I shouldn't be dying at 50% to an average Utilt.
Jigglypuff sucks in P:M lol.

She can't handle all the new characters. P:M shows just how polarizing Melee Puff was.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Jigglypuff sucks in P:M lol.

She can't handle all the new characters. P:M shows just how polarizing Melee Puff was.
Exactly. As I said, I'm not one to react immediately and say someone needs a nerf or buff. But she desperately needs a buff.
There's a reason that she's underplayed and overrated. Which kinda sucks, because I play Jiggly in every Smash and plan to keep playing her in 4... would suck if PM was one I couldn't play her in.

D

Deleted member

I'm so sorry guys, I know we had a good time together, but as I must have the Smash Bros. 3DS XL, I'll have to sacrifice you...
By "sacrifice", I meant "sell".

And I own Metroid Prime Trilogy, the GameCube version of Twilight Princess and the Pro Controller for the Wii, so I'm fine anyway.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I popped in to EShop today (I'm an European) and there's now a promotion sales going on for games where the newcomers in SSB4 are from: Miis (Tomodachi Life), Villager (AC: New Leaf), Palutena (Kid Icarus Uprising), Pac-Man (Pac-Man NES), Mega Man (All NES Mega Mans) and Little Mac (Punch-Out!!).

SUPER SMASH PRROMOTION

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
So I popped in to EShop today (I'm an European) and there's now a promotion sales going on for games where the newcomers in SSB4 are from: Miis (Tomodachi Life), Villager (AC: New Leaf), Palutena (Kid Icarus Uprising), Pac-Man (Pac-Man NES), Mega Man (All NES Mega Mans) and Little Mac (Punch-Out!!).

SUPER SMASH PRROMOTION
I saw that! I own most of those games already though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom