• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
This battle theme gets you pumped up for battle, but the first Xenoblade's makes every battle epic.
I think the new battle theme fits more with the setting of the game, while Xenoblade's themes fitted better with just being a battle theme. Also, on one of the Xenoblade 3ds, if I remember correctly, Mechanical Rythm played against a Mechon on the Bionis Leg. Do you think they switched around when certain themes play?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I first want to point out that it might not technically be a battle theme, but it does sound like that kind of thing.
That aside, this is pretty awesome! Quite different to Xenoblade's music, but I like it. It sounds stylistically familiar but I can't quite place it.

I'm trying to pick out the lyrics right now, haha.

Edit:
I think the new battle theme fits more with the setting of the game, while Xenoblade's themes fitted better with just being a battle theme. Also, on one of the Xenoblade 3ds, if I remember correctly, Mechanical Rythm played against a Mechon on the Bionis Leg. Do you think they switched around when certain themes play?
I agree, it does seem to fit more nicely with the sci-fi setting.
Also, that's interesting if it's true. Maybe Unfinished Battle will get played more than once? (Can I hope?)

Double edit: Apparently this showed up too. Sounds like one from one of the trailers.
Along with some pictures taken from the website - http://nintendoeverything.com/new-xenoblade-chronicles-x-music-images/

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I first want to point out that it might not technically be a battle theme, but it does sound like that kind of thing.
That aside, this is pretty awesome! Quite different to Xenoblade's music, but I like it. It sounds stylistically familiar but I can't quite place it.
The style reminds me of Kill la Kill (whose soundtrack was really good).

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The style reminds me of Kill la Kill (whose soundtrack was really good).
It is the same music composer, Hiroyuki Sawano.

Similarities are bound to be there (albeit awesome ones).

Last edited:
imo

Ness match up isn't as bad as I thought. I might be thinking that it's even. Fox is still dumb though. Shulk is negative against:
:4fox: (35/65, -2)
:4sheik: (40/60, -1)
:4diddy: (45/55, -1)
:4sonic: (45/55, -1)
:4robinf: (45/55, -1)

I can see :4miibrawl: being trouble for us too but not much players use Mii Brawler because no one likes the character anyway

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't like it.

I hate the "snare" and how empty it sounds; it really takes away from the intense large sound the guitars were giving. And that rap... Lyrics in background music don't work for me; they make the music seem twice as repetitive ("rolling around at the speed of sound") and in my limited experience the lyrics are awful, hackneyed, and obviously forced to fit to some theme (the rap tracks from SA2). So... I am not feeling this.

I had my own music on for most of XC (because roommates); seems I'll be doing the same for XCX.

I'm kind of worried about XCX. I don't care for the premise so far, I'm not interested in any of the characters except Tatsu, I don't like futuristic worlds in general, I don't like the tie to the real world (new LA, because LA is sorely underrepresented in media, right?), the ties to XC seem to not exist. I'll be buying it anyway, so don't freak out on me, but I feel I may as well express pre-release anxieties to compare them once I'm done. To be positive, the appearance of aliens in Dolls at the end was intriguing, as was the short story with the mobsters, and knowing these people, there's gonna be some twist to it. (Can we plz fit as non-human species, though?? Need that Nopon Fix)

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I have my anxieties about XCX as well. . . Or should I say I always have had them; In general, I prefer the fantasy-type direction of XC much over the sci-fi one of XCX, as a personal preference. That, and I don't want this game to turn into an advanced MH title. I play J-RPG's for the story (and I suppose what comes with battling), first and foremost. . . I know they said there will be a more sophisticated story this time around, and the bits and pieces we've seen seem good, but I just kind of need more reassurance (I know they like to hide things before release, and I've even played the previous Xeno games as well (so I am well aware of the teams track record), but still). I suppose to a smaller extent I can mention the music as well; I'd like to point out that from what we've heard, the pieces that I like, I really like. . . I find them to be really good. But, there are a few songs already where I'm like "Eh. . . Not feeling it." I don't mind lyrics in video game music, but I don't like it forced, and it needs to have a great rhythm and everything. I like specific genres of rap / hip-hop in general (though not mainstream), but not what we are hearing from the first singer in the new song. . . I suppose I'll save my overall judgement for the music when we receive the whole OST, though.

Also, new Bravely Second trailer for those who are interested.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I hate the "snare" and how empty it sounds; it really takes away from the intense large sound the guitars were giving. And that rap... Lyrics in background music don't work for me; they make the music seem twice as repetitive ("rolling around at the speed of sound") and in my limited experience the lyrics are awful, hackneyed, and obviously forced to fit to some theme (the rap tracks from SA2). So... I am not feeling this.

I had my own music on for most of XC (because roommates); seems I'll be doing the same for XCX.

I'm kind of worried about XCX. I don't care for the premise so far, I'm not interested in any of the characters except Tatsu, I don't like futuristic worlds in general, I don't like the tie to the real world (new LA, because LA is sorely underrepresented in media, right?), the ties to XC seem to not exist. I'll be buying it anyway, so don't freak out on me, but I feel I may as well express pre-release anxieties to compare them once I'm done. To be positive, the appearance of aliens in Dolls at the end was intriguing, as was the short story with the mobsters, and knowing these people, there's gonna be some twist to it. (Can we plz fit as non-human species, though?? Need that Nopon Fix)
I guess if you don't like X, you can always look forward to MonolithSoft's 3DS project.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

I never thought I would see the day when someone would trash-talk City Escape.
At any rate, lyrics doesn't automatically make something bad in my book. A tad cheesy but I don't mind it. I think the snares drive the piece rhythmically rather than detract from it.

Once again - unless that short battle video says so in Japanese, it's not necessarily a battle theme. We don't know if it plays every time you're in a fight. Maybe it's a boss theme.

To those worried about this game, I wouldn't be. Let's not forecast too much doom and gloom on something that isn't even out yet. At the same time, if you set yourself up to believe this will be the best game in existence x1000, of course you're going to be disappointed. Let's see how it goes and enjoy it for what it is.

Also, new Bravely Second trailer for those who are interested.
*pressure to finish BD intensifies*

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I never thought I would see the day when someone would trash-talk City Escape.
At any rate, lyrics doesn't automatically make something bad in my book. A tad cheesy but I don't mind it. I think the snares drive the piece rhythmically rather than detract from it.
I have no problem with City Escape in and of itself - it's one of the few soundtrack songs I have on my phone, after all. But when you consider than video game music is inherently repetitive, adding vocals makes the repetition even more apparent. It's the same reason a song with the chorus copy-pasted each time sounds different from a song where each chorus is a different take.

I also have the same problem with Pumpkin Hill and the water mine level - the lyrics are obviously forced to fit some kind of theme (treasure hunt, ghost/water, emerald) and whoever wrote the lyrics doesn't seem to have been talented or inspired enough to make something impressive out of it.

In theory, I would agree with you that a background piece with lyrics in it shouldn't be automatically bad. Nevertheless, I would personally avoid lyrics in music that is meant to loop endlessly - in my experience, it makes the repetition all the more grating. The first time I hear "rolling around at the speed of sound," I sing along loudly and prepare for butt-kicking. The 50th time I hear "rolling around at the speed of sound," I sing it mockingly because I've heard that exact vocal take 50 times and I don't want to hear it again. Instrumental pieces are less likely to suffer repetition fatigue since the human brain is not as attuned to non-human voice sounds (although they're not immune, and if you're forced to stay in any place long enough in a game you can end up hating the bgm).

My issue with the snare is the way it's processed. The reverb, combined with whatever they did to make the snare sound hollow, isn't a good sound. I would have chosen a different snare. But this kind of snare seems to be popular and I've heard it in other hard rock/metal songs before, so I guess it's a stylistic decision.

And to prove I have positive things to say - I like the arpeggiating synth they use in the middle.

Once again - unless that short battle video says so in Japanese, it's not necessarily a battle theme. We don't know if it plays every time you're in a fight. Maybe it's a boss theme.
When you look バトル (batoru) up on Japanese Wikipedia, the equivalent English page is "battle." Google Translate tells me it's battle. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't say this with any certainty, but I don't think it's wrong to assume this is some sort of battle theme... for now, at least.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I guess if you don't like X, you can always look forward to MonolithSoft's 3DS project.
:link:
I know your post wasn't quoted towards myself, but due to my previous post, I'd like to make a general statement; I am not in fact thinking XCX looks "bad" at all, there are just areas that, at the moment, I feel the original XC is superior in as it stands. What I was more-or-less saying is that I just don't see it overtaking my love for the original XC yet (although the upgrades to the battle system do seem exceptional, of course, and the way they are semi-streamlining quests, etc.). . . But it looks wonderful, and aside from Zelda Wii U, it is the game I want in my hands the most right now.

With all of that being said, I've been patiently waiting forever for Monolith Soft to reveal more on whatever their 3DS project actually is. When they initially revealed that concept art forever ago.. . . Well, let's just say that I find it attractive. I love the fantasy appearance with that creature next to the girl, the tree's with faces, etcetera. Maybe we'll get something at E3?

Edit: Yesterday was Chrono Triggers 20th anniversary. . . Respect to one of the best games / RPG's ever made. Love that game. ;w;

Edit # 2: Listened to the "Battle" OST of XCX again. . . Instrumental is good, and I don't even mind the second guy that sings, but the the rapper doesn't suit my style. I'm sure it'll rub off on me some the more I listen to it, and whilst actually playing the game, but yeah. Whatever. Now this theme on the other hand. . . What is it, a boss theme? Yeah, maybe it is AoT like, but it's still an excellent piece in my opinion.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Listened to the battle theme.

I like it quite a bit better then "Time to fight" but not as much as "Mechanical Rhythm."

A visual representation would be. Mechanical Rhythm > X's Battle theme (Version 1?) >>> Time to Fight

I prefer catchy songs, and while Time to fight makes me feel pumped when the battle is happening, I find myself thinking of other songs when I'm not playing.

X's battle theme has an interesting mix of vocal and instruments.

With that said, Mechanical Rhythm is like a combination of rock out parts of X and the Epic feeling of "Time to Fight."

Of course, they could always introduce a version 2 battle theme and make it more awesome then Mechanical Rhythm. But who knows.

The main one to look out for is the unique monster battle theme. Can it compare to you will know our names is the ultimate question.

As for the other music piece revealed, sounds great.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
On the same subject of music, Bulby, famous for his amazing 8 bit remixes, has made a 8 bit remix of You will know our names.

...And it's the best 8 bit remix of it ever. Heck, it might be one of the best remixes of it period:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem with City Escape in and of itself - it's one of the few soundtrack songs I have on my phone, after all. But when you consider than video game music is inherently repetitive, adding vocals makes the repetition even more apparent. It's the same reason a song with the chorus copy-pasted each time sounds different from a song where each chorus is a different take.

I also have the same problem with Pumpkin Hill and the water mine level - the lyrics are obviously forced to fit some kind of theme (treasure hunt, ghost/water, emerald) and whoever wrote the lyrics doesn't seem to have been talented or inspired enough to make something impressive out of it.

In theory, I would agree with you that a background piece with lyrics in it shouldn't be automatically bad. Nevertheless, I would personally avoid lyrics in music that is meant to loop endlessly - in my experience, it makes the repetition all the more grating. The first time I hear "rolling around at the speed of sound," I sing along loudly and prepare for butt-kicking. The 50th time I hear "rolling around at the speed of sound," I sing it mockingly because I've heard that exact vocal take 50 times and I don't want to hear it again. Instrumental pieces are less likely to suffer repetition fatigue since the human brain is not as attuned to non-human voice sounds (although they're not immune, and if you're forced to stay in any place long enough in a game you can end up hating the bgm).

My issue with the snare is the way it's processed. The reverb, combined with whatever they did to make the snare sound hollow, isn't a good sound. I would have chosen a different snare. But this kind of snare seems to be popular and I've heard it in other hard rock/metal songs before, so I guess it's a stylistic decision.

And to prove I have positive things to say - I like the arpeggiating synth they use in the middle.

When you look バトル (batoru) up on Japanese Wikipedia, the equivalent English page is "battle." Google Translate tells me it's battle. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't say this with any certainty, but I don't think it's wrong to assume this is some sort of battle theme... for now, at least.
I never could actually make out much of the lyrics in Knuckles' raps, too busy listening for the emerald radar to go off. Out of all the themes in SA2, my favorites are generally most of Tails' stages, and Metal Harbor.

It's hard to think of good songs that don't have repetitive lyrics in games, as most games where the vocals don't bother me is when they're the fake Latin chorus. Meteor Herd and Mad Space are perfect examples of areas where you will get stuck and will end up hating the song because of how much it will loop.

Also, for your information on Japanese, バトル is in Katakana, which is the same as Hiragana, the basic Japanese alphabet, except it's only used for foreign words. So that is indeed battle.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
It's hard to think of good songs that don't have repetitive lyrics in games, as most games where the vocals don't bother me is when they're the fake Latin chorus. Meteor Herd and Mad Space are perfect examples of areas where you will get stuck and will end up hating the song because of how much it will loop.
I mean Beyond the Sky didn't have repetitive lyrics but then again it played once while people were talking over it :p

Also that battle music feels... too soft. Feels like a cutscene song more imo. Battle music needs to have like epic electric guitar solos or something
Although maybe it's like Time to Fight!. The first battle theme, and then the specialized/second battle themes are super good

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
On the same subject of music, Bulby, famous for his amazing 8 bit remixes, has made a 8 bit remix of You will know our names.

...And it's the best 8 bit remix of it ever. Heck, it might be one of the best remixes of it period:

That sounds amazing. I love it.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

That's awesome! And speaking of 8-bit and City Escape, here's one that guy did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4lSYq73bw

As for the XCX theme, it's not necessarily everyone's thing. I think that people may warm to it once the game's out and we know where it plays. I know that there's a lot of songs that are in a style I'll hate (for example, parts of TWEWY), but I love it because it fits the scene and I can associate it to feelings I had in the game when it was playing.

EDIT: I remembered something my brother said to me about the Persona Q battle music. Whilst I've not played it, he said something along the lines of "The first time you hear it you think it's pretty cool. The second time you hear, it's even better. By about the sixth time you absolutely hate it. Completely sick of it. By the twentieth time, you love it every single time you hear it."

Last edited:

Davicious

Smash Rookie
About the XCX music. I was a REALLY big fan of Linkin Park & Powerman5000 back in the day. If anyone saw the movie TITAN: AE Powerman5000 was part of the soundtrack. This of course is leagues better, and can surely fit the genre.

I don't expect the rap-song to be a battle song. It SCREAMS opening credits music. either way i wouldn't care because it's kinda my jam.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
HEY GUYS OMFG BULBY MADE AN 8-BIT REMIX OF YOU WILL-
Oh. :scared:
Nevermind.

Zacko

Smash Cadet

Awesome song! Love it just as much as his first Xenoblade remix!
It has probably been posted 20 times in this thread already, but here it is again! :grin:

Gaur Plain 8 Bit - Xenoblade Chronicles

Escape from the City was great too! Now I gotta go and listen to all of Bulby's remixes.

Last edited:

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
@ kenniky kenniky beyond the sky sounds like something Celine Dion would sing for me.
Also @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU the persona q music is great! I can't get enough of the battle theme light the fire up in the night! The singers' English isn't that bad and there are two different versions of the song.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

"You will know our names" will always sound awesome in every form its remixed in imo xp

mfw when you gimp someone by combo'ing them off-stage then using air slash near the horizontal blast zone for the KO

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

Oh look, I'm back. How's everyone been? I've started playing Smash a bit more lately, so of course I thought of you guys. Also, it seems I'm not the only one with reservations about XCX...I might wait a bit post-release to see what people are saying.

But hey, I'm not here for fandom ****, I'm here to catch up with my buds. So hey!

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
It'd be funny to make a list of pre-release expectations and desires, and then compare it to the post-release experience. It's kind of incredible how things change. Plus maybe it helps keep anxieties/hype in check.

Anyway, I was making my way through the new game+ and wanted to do one of the really famous quest chains (the one with the Nopons - you know what I mean) but couldn't find any guide that explicitly listed all the quests you needed to do. I was really annoyed by this, so I made my own rudimentary flowchart so that nobody else has to go through the Xenoblade wikia like I did. I hope it might be helpful to someone else, and I'm certainly open to improving on this chart.

If it says "expire", assume it expires after MC. Strangely, MC needs to be cleared to do the final quest. :x
If there is a wavy line from quest1 to quest2, it means that you must complete quest1 to complete quest 2. Some are surprise quests (they are marked as such), others are just normal quests that you will have to complete. The little parentheticals are requirements you need to access the next quest. All my information came from the Xenoblade wiki.
Forgive my spelling errors; this was made in a rush.
banarhebetrayer_flowchart.png

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
It'd be funny to make a list of pre-release expectations and desires, and then compare it to the post-release experience. It's kind of incredible how things change. Plus maybe it helps keep anxieties/hype in check.

Anyway, I was making my way through the new game+ and wanted to do one of the really famous quest chains (the one with the Nopons - you know what I mean) but couldn't find any guide that explicitly listed all the quests you needed to do. I was really annoyed by this, so I made my own rudimentary flowchart so that nobody else has to go through the Xenoblade wikia like I did. I hope it might be helpful to someone else, and I'm certainly open to improving on this chart.

If it says "expire", assume it expires after MC. Strangely, MC needs to be cleared to do the final quest. :x
If there is a wavy line from quest1 to quest2, it means that you must complete quest1 to complete quest 2. Some are surprise quests (they are marked as such), others are just normal quests that you will have to complete. The little parentheticals are requirements you need to access the next quest. All my information came from the Xenoblade wiki.
Forgive my spelling errors; this was made in a rush.
View attachment 42812
Everyone loves drugs ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Guys, remember that giant, level 81 monster that steamrolled the entire party about 18 minutes into the battle presentation? Did anyone here notice its name? If not, just take a guess...

Territorial Hayreddin!!!

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Guys, remember that giant, level 81 monster that steamrolled the entire party about 18 minutes into the battle presentation? Did anyone here notice its name? If not, just take a guess...

Territorial Hayreddin!!!
I still remember the giant spider when getting the giant's mirror on the Bionis' Leg. You just walk along and then you get the mirror, only for a giant spider to show up and chase you away.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

Territorial Hayreddin!!!
Oh no...
TERRITORIAL ROTBART IS BACK FOR VENGEANCE. At least now we know to be prepared for the new level 81 "Rotbart" to obliterate us.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Speaking of high leveled enemies. I noticed you flinch now everytime a monster notices you.

This means you can't just expect to run through a group of high leveled enemies and expect to certainly get away with it like in the original.

Though, at the same time, there are things like jumping now, which will probably help in escaping.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Speaking of high leveled enemies. I noticed you flinch now everytime a monster notices you.

This means you can't just expect to run through a group of high leveled enemies and expect to certainly get away with it like in the original.
The Monster Hunter ressemblances keep pouring in...
I think this is a Pokemon, because it clearly knows Rock Wrecker :laugh:

I'm glad we had another "destruction" moment like we did in the last video with that thing on all fours. So funny.
Player 1 fainted.

No more continues remaining (2 previously dead party members).

Returning Supply Items

Quest failed...

If only he'd fallen face down, it would've been perfect.

Top Bottom