• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Before we start getting ourselves in too much of a twist, I've got a few articles to help explain some of the details of the deal with DeNA.

Nintendo and DeNA will be working on a membership service that works on Nintendo Systems, Smart Devices, and PCs.

Iwata assures that Nintendo's passion for dedicated gaming systems is as strong as ever. Teases new "NX" system to be revealed next year.

Iwata explains Nintendo's choice to develop for mobile platforms.

The previously mentioned membership service will most likely also serve as a replacement for Club Nintendo.

The full statement on Nintendo and DeNA's partnership.

Overall it doesn't sound too bad to me so far. Nothing too thrilling but also nothing I can really object to until more information is released. The membership service might be promising though.

Edit: one more to talk about.

DeNA talks about their partnership with Nintendo.

This probably did the most to put my mind at ease.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I don't want Nintendo's brand image to be cheapened by them venturing into the mobile market, but I think I'll wait and see how it pans out. It really depends how it's handled. If it's essentially a demo, it should push people towards the real thing. If it's full games being made it may be a little different. So it could go either way but I think we need to see it in action to properly judge.

And going off one of Andyjoe's links, it sounds like they can just stop the partnership if it doesn't work out. So this whole thing sounds low-risk... hopefully.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So, anyone been trying out any new characters lately?

As of late i've been trying out Pikachu and Wii Fit Trainer and liking them (Pikachu is feeling tough to master though), and i've been trying to improve my Little Mac and Charizard lately aswell. : 3

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Well...not exactly a new character but it's on the topic of mains. Recently, I've devoted myself solely to Shulk and Zelda so I can become very good with them. Rn I've been practicing a lot of stuff with them so hopefully it'll help me improve a lot.

D

Deleted member

As of late i've been trying out Pikachu and Wii Fit Trainer and liking them (Pikachu is feeling tough to master though), and i've been trying to improve my Little Mac and Charizard lately aswell. : 3
I've still primarily have been using Luigi and Shulk as my mains.
I used to play with a large amount of secondaries, but I cut them down to Robin, Kirby, and Captain Falcon.
I used to play as Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., Marth, Diddy Kong, Pit, and Greninja a lot. I dropped Pit because I couldn't really use him, I sucked as Bowser Jr., I dropped Greninja because I didn't like playing as him as much and I hated his nerfs, I felt guilty playing as Diddy Kong, and I dropped the rest so that I can concentrate on 5 characters in total.
I still play as those characters for fun, though (including Donkey Kong, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, and Dr. Mario). Recently, I played as Wii Fit Trainer and Palutena to disrespect some For Glory players.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
If I'm taking a game seriously, then I'm using Shulk, Little Mac, or Villager, usually in that order. Otherwise, I'll just hit up random to see what the game gives me. I think it's good to play every character occasionally, so that you can learn how they work and then know how to deal with them.
Palutena is the ultimate way to disrespect people on For Glory. Especially with that sassy walk~ :4palutena:
Shulk and Palutena have the best walking animations. They just go in like they're casually walking away from a huge fight they just won.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Eh, I've pretty much settled on Rosalina and Villager unless a new character like Inkling gets confirm.

I do play other characters when I'm not playing seriously of course including Shulk.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

I haven't really try playing as new characters, I like playing a the villager for fun, I tired the duck hunt dog but I can't just play as him I just feel like I'm spaming when I play as him.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Palutena is the ultimate way to disrespect people on For Glory. Especially with that sassy walk~ :4palutena:
I don't always take Palutena on For Glory, but when I do, I side-taunt.

But seriously, she's my secondary but I don't feel she'll completely cut it in the competitive sense - at least to compliment Shulk since she also hates the agile guys.

I've already mentioned here that I'll take a look at probably Mario or Luigi, but I've been too lazy to actually do it yet :p

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
I like to play Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, Palutena, Ike, Robin, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Mega Man. Lucina, Mario, and Robin are the ones I would devote more time to improve.

...However, I only used these characters against CPUs. Shulk is the only character I used online since day 1. And with 4981 online battles as Shulk, it's somewhat awkward to play other characters.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I don't always take Palutena on For Glory, but when I do, I side-taunt.

But seriously, she's my secondary but I don't feel she'll completely cut it in the competitive sense - at least to compliment Shulk since she also hates the agile guys.

I've already mentioned here that I'll take a look at probably Mario or Luigi, but I've been too lazy to actually do it yet :p
To be completely honest, I don't think default Palutena is that bad and I'm sure with Shulk/Palutena you could do fine in a ton of matchups. Speaking from personal experience, I've mained Zelda in every game and she sucks in all of them except P:M. However, I was still able to do well with her in the competitive scene because I put effort in and didn't give up. So imo, I think you should use Palutena competitively unless you run into a major matchup problem that you need Mario or Luigi for (unless you actually just want to pick them up.)

Besides, playing as a character you love will always help you play better <3

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I've been trying to figure out a secondary, either Falco, Zelda, Zard or Mii Swordfighter (in that order). They're each pretty interesting - Falco's a lot different and has some interesting quirks, Zelda's super high-risk-high-reward (admittedly Zelda Social might have influenced me too), Zard's just fun, and Mii Swordfighter would be so troll to win with.

idk which one to choose though

When I'm playing seriously though I normally go Shulk.
and then proceed to get completely bodied anyway /cry

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
As per usual, I have come to deliver yet another new XCX video. . . I haven't much idea of what they are saying, mind you, but it seems like this event is fairly early in-game, judging by the low-level creatures.

Edit: Also, some screenshots.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
As per usual, I have come to deliver yet another new XCX video. . . I haven't much idea of what they are saying, mind you, but it seems like this event is fairly early in-game, judging by the low-level creatures.

Edit: Also, some screenshots.
How are you finding unlisted videos? Magic?
Anyway, I come with rumours that I don't trust. Potential release window for the US.

To be honest, I expect July-August anyway.

Old discussion about match ups and picking secondaries

I say you should focus 100% of your time on Shulk. You'll do better that way. I don't think Shulk is hopeless against anyone. Hell, he's even fine against some combo freaks. It's really just Fox you need to worry about but that match up isn't unwinnable but refer to what I'm about to say next

I have Rosalina as my secondary because she's fun to use but in the end, I'm a Shulk main at heart and I'd go 100% with Shulk in a tourney. You had trouble against a character or a player in the tournament? Don't let the INCREDIBLY TOO EARLY match up scores affect you. Dude, the meta game is still growing so any MU score at the moment should be taken with a grain of salt (referring to our main MU thread). So yeah, don't let the difficulty of the match up phase you or limit you. Hit the lab, think about what you've done wrong, and try to find a way on how to counter or beat the character or the player.

Having a counterpick character is fine and all and helpful, but IMO, having one main is much more beneficial in the long run. It's also much more satisfying to pull off

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yeah, for sure. I'm just not yet confident enough in my fundamental skills and reading to rely on one guy. Whilst I'd like to pick up someone else to cover Shulk's weaknesses, I'd just like to pick up someone else so I don't get bored. I look at my play stats and Shulk's KOs and play time nearly doubles 2nd place :laugh:

It's all about them fundamentals ESPECIALLY for the Monado boy. You need to master his spacing, understand his hitboxes (especially his tilts' hitboxes) and you need to be precise

I can see what you mean though. Playing as the same character over and over again can definitely get boring

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yeah. I've not played against people much lately because internet is derp, but last time I identified that I'm predictable because I kept having nair and fair shield-grabbed. I've been doing okay with the tilts but I'll have to try playing smarter to figure out how my opponent operates. I've also been trying to identify what options my opponent has in certain situations so I can play around them better.

I've got a doubles thing coming up, paired with a :4miigun: player. Should be a good chance to see if I've improved.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Shulk is like 6 characters in one though how could you ever get bored
like we have
:4shulk: who is fairly well balanced
:4shulk:who is all about the airgame
:4shulk: who is like :4sonic: with a lightsaber
:4shulk: who is the one and only super tank
:4shulk: who is definitely balanced
:4shulk: who is our resident high risk high reward

How could you ever go wrong

On a side note why does Shulk not have a green palette

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is like 6 characters in one though how could you ever get bored
like we have
:4shulk: who is fairly well balanced
:4shulk:who is all about the airgame
:4shulk: who is like :4sonic: with a lightsaber
:4shulk: who is the one and only super tank
:4shulk: who is definitely balanced
:4shulk: who is our resident high risk high reward

How could you ever go wrong

On a side note why does Shulk not have a green palette
If there was a custom move that made the stat buffs weaker, but allow you to just change modes whenever and they're permanent, would you use it? The debuff in the buffs wouldn't be welcome, but it would help to stay in speed as long as I can.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
If there was a custom move that made the stat buffs weaker, but allow you to just change modes whenever and they're permanent, would you use it? The debuff in the buffs wouldn't be welcome, but it would help to stay in speed as long as I can.
Do they have cooldown?

That would make for a really interesting challenge though - win as Permanent Smash Shulk XD
or Permanent Buster Shulk
or Permanent Shield Shulk

This is a great idea

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Do they have cooldown?

That would make for a really interesting challenge though - win as Permanent Smash Shulk XD
or Permanent Buster Shulk
or Permanent Shield Shulk

This is a great idea
All the stat buffs are weaker, however, every mode is permanent.
It would really add to the versatility of your moves, being able to not worry about cooldowns.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Outrange

The match up in one word. Use speed to catch up with it but I usually use buster because reasons
Because when you catch Jiggs you can combo the hell out of her? Maybe?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Mmm. Spaced F-Airs are key versus Jigglypuff, as far as I am concerned. Keep an eye out for opportune U-Tilt and F-Tilt mix-ups, too. . . I've found good success with these on reaction. Try to control the central area of the stage to prevent her strong gimp game against Shulk, and remind yourself of how light she is, allowing for some kills at lower percentages; Smash can do some fine work earlier on in this match up. I personally like to go Vanilla / Buster the most against Jigglypuff, and don't really feel Speed is necessary outside of it just briefly to keep your opponent guessing; I find Jigglypuff's tools and characteristics, as well as the slight damage reduction from Speed more detrimental for Shulk here. . . Opinions may differ, though.

Also, new XC3D trailer.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
How does one beat a Jigglypuff? That thing is always flying around
Actually, Monado Shield is great for this MU. Shield jigg's aerial attacks with Shield's amazing shield strength and shield recovery. You don't even need to worry much about the side B.

D

Deleted member

Actually, Monado Shield is great for this MU. Shield jigg's aerial attacks with Shield's amazing shield strength and shield recovery. You don't even need to worry much about the side B.
Is this the only match-up where Shield at the beginning is advisable?
I have trouble with Jigglypuff in general, with her great aerial speed and amazing aerials. I have trouble beating her with Luigi, Shulk, and Captain Falcon.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
In smash mode, jiggs dies at like 80% from up tilt, so wait for them to approach and up tilt them.
Up tilt is really great for catching people off guard. It can kill at decent percents, quick and effective, and most people would expect a different attack. It killed the most for me when people are getting up from the ledge, and you catch them with it, since it covers most of the ways people can get up.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Is this the only match-up where Shield at the beginning is advisable?
I have trouble with Jigglypuff in general, with her great aerial speed and amazing aerials. I have trouble beating her with Luigi, Shulk, and Captain Falcon.
Shield is actually pretty good at the beginning in many MU's, but for jiggs I would say it's good beyond then.

If we're to talk customs, probably AAS, since Jiggs likes to stay in the air, and the move has amazing range (like almost half of FD). Decisive arts would be nice for that decisive shield, I would imagine. Oh, back slash leap would have terrific use here too. Lastly, power vision would kill Jiggs very early.

Last edited:
WELL.... That was one hell of a tournament. A Shulk one but it wasn't my Shulk. I got wrecked by:
1) Me being bad
2) Seeding
3) Gamecube johns
4) Not feeling like playing at all

On the way to the tournament, I was pulled over by the cops because reasons so I had to argue for my case on the spot. I managed but I didn't want to go anymore at that point. My brother persisted and I was like, "whatevs."

So we went and we we're kinda late. We were shoe horned into the brackets. LUCKILY, MY FIRST MATCH WAS AGAINST A DIDDY. The set was even but I f'd up. So yeah, losers instantly. Lmao. My brother went against some Shulk player and beat him so he also went there. I had a lot of conversations with him. Opinions on Shulk and all that stuff.

We both agreed to fight our way out of loser's. Meanwhile, my brother's Link continues to be the most defensive Link ever. He got the name, "The great wall of Link." He 2 stock'd the hell out of a lot of players. He nearly timed out a bunch of them too. He didn't use Mega Man or Ike once. Just Link

I managed to snag 2 wins in loser's but UNFORTUNATELY, the best Diddy somehow was at loser's. Seedings were messed up from there because he was matched up against the best Sheik. One of them inevitably made it to loser's. I stole 1 game but I lost so that ends me. Lol. Meanwhile, the other Shulk successfully avenged me and beat the Diddy. He makes into the next round.

Meanwhile, my brother beats a Mario and shows his bomb recovering abilities. He beat the Mario with the power of being lame. He went against a patient Sheik. Unfortunately, that didn't end well because well... it's Sheik

Afterwards, the Shulk went against my bro again but he decided to use Robin who's cancer for my brother. Shocking moment: Robin's tome KO'd my brother AT MID-STAGE. We made a joke about it since my brother actually had exams to review for this week so yeah. Haha. My brother was unfortunately, defeated by the Shulk's Robin.

Aight. The real deal. Top 4. The Shulk player's road was tough. By tough, I meant he had to deal with the following:
:4diddy::4sheik::4sheik:

WHELP. Me and @Aeralfos were sure that Sheik beats Shulk. Pretty sure Diddy is easier but he still beats Shulk

He beat the Diddy that beat me. Lol. Then he beat the Sheik despite the needles and patience. Grand finals happened, he beat the Sheik. Bracket reset. He beat the Sheik again. Note that both Sheiks are known for being ultra patient and needle-oriented. I decided to ask him about how he beat them. He'd sent me the tips and his personal output later on.

So yeah, that Shulk fought from loser's. He was kicked into loser's at first round and he WON. My brother also did well. That projectile game is real.

Meanwhile, I sucked. So yeah. Nothing much from me. Got 13th ;-;

Top 8 looked like this
:4shulk::4robinf:
:4sheik:
:4sheik:
:4mario:
:4fox:
:substitute:
:4link:
:4peach:

SO YEAH. After that, we had some doubles. MegaZard is the real deal.

The end.

Edit: I also found out. My Rosa sucks. My Mario is GOOD. Why did I drop Mario?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have that gif where Melia is going to talk to Shulk, but Seven and Shulk just walk past her?

Last edited:
Top Bottom