• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The Monster Hunter ressemblances keep pouring in...

Player 1 fainted.

No more continues remaining (2 previously dead party members).

Returning Supply Items

Quest failed...

If only he'd fallen face down, it would've been perfect.
:laugh:

Anything taken from Monster Hunter to make Xenoblade Chronicles X better is definitely a plus in my book.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was wondering, what do you all think of the soundtrack to X?
I mean, I like it so far, but I think I am going to prefer the original's over it. I think some tracks are sounding too atmospheric and I don't think the battle themes sound as tense as You Will Know Our Names, Mechanical Rhythm, or even Time to Fight.
I guess we'll wait and see.

So, this is Xenoblade Awakening now? :p
So Xenoblade Chronicles: X becomes a shipping simulator?

Guys, remember that giant, level 81 monster that steamrolled the entire party about 18 minutes into the battle presentation? Did anyone here notice its name? If not, just take a guess...

Territorial Hayreddin!!!
I have a feeling this will become a staple in future Xenoblade games.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I was wondering, what do you all think of the soundtrack to X?
I don't know. Some of it sounds alright, but others are just... I'm not even sure what to say about those ones. I really don't understand why I think this way. I like Persona and TWEWY's music, but I don't like the rapping in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Is there anyone that can help me understand?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So, this is Xenoblade Awakening now? :p
Waifu Simulator 2013 -> Waifu Simulator 2015.
I don't know. Some of it sounds alright, but others are just... I'm not even sure what to say about those ones. I really don't understand why I think this way. I like Persona and TWEWY's music, but I don't like the rapping in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Is there anyone that can help me understand?
Do you normally like this style? Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles has given you some expectations on what the game should be and what it should sound like. So because this is so different to what we had previously, it just sounds wrong to your ears. We now have a different setting and different game, so understandably, different music.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I think I can help.
I also really enjoy Persona 3's rap battle theme, but I really dislike the rapping portions of Xenoblade X's battle theme. Here's why:
Persona 3's battle theme is actually good, whilst Xenoblades is actually pretty terrible and even racist.
Before I get flamed because I am "a hater", I have legitimate reason as to why.
Alright, listen to Persona's battle theme and Xenoblade X's.
Here is Persona's theme, it's really funky and catchy! During the rapping portions the beat is still emphasized, making it extremely catchy. The rapper uses his voice in a more percussive manner, making the lyrics not needed nor the focus of the song. A person can easily pay attention to the other aspects of the song, such as the rhythm during the rapping parts, the rapper even uses upbeats and triplets to not only be pleasant to the ear, but to keep the best moving. Not only that, but this song keeps it's integrity and style throughout the song. It's groovy, and it is catchy. Americans will like it, the Japanese will like it. Almost everyone is happy, even if they aren't fans of the rap genre(like me).
Then... We have the problem child........
The song starts out really well! I like the little guitar riff they are doing, the beat keeps moving. Then... The problem arises.... The rapper... First, this rapper doesn't even go with the beat, and runs out of syllables, keeping off time! I don't listen to rap, but it's pretty fair to expect that the rapper keeps the beat! Not only that, but this rappers voice is very grating on your ears. He doesn't have that smoothness that Persona's rapper had. The lyrics are awful as well(to an native English speaker). Just take a listen to IM IN A FARAWAY LAND AND IM STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANNNNNEEEETTTT! It's not only a captain obvious moment, but what the hell does that piece of information have to do with fighting a monster? Really Sawano?! Granted, to a Japanese speaker, this isn't a problem. English sounds all foreign, cool, and exotic to them(for some really odd reason). It's just agonizing to us because, like I said, it is done so poorly for those who speak english. Furthermore, Guitars and Rap, with blaring drums and a rapper who can't keep a steady beat don't mix very well. The parts without drums/guitar with just the techno music and rapper sound equally as grating...... The song would really be pretty decent without the rapper, though it really isn't that catchy like Persona's and Xenoblade's You Will Know Your Names....... I like the second vocalist, as he adds something substantial to the song.... It would be extremely nice if NoA localized this song for us to exclude the horrible English rapping(they actually did the same for some of the songs in persona).... If not..... Let's hope the voice actors and sound effects can wash out this dreadful noise and that this battle theme doesn't play for every normal monster in the game......
I really miss Ace+.............
I like some of Sawanos work in Xenoblade X.... There are just way to many vocal tracks so far.... It's not a very good way to immerse someone into a huge gigantic world.... The lyrical vocals are more or less ok... It's just that rap(if they use the lyrics Stuck on a Different planet for more than the two songs we've already heard it in, I will be extremely angry as well -_-).

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Xenoblades is actually pretty terrible and even racist.
Now I did read your whole post but I'm not sure where you've even gotten this idea from. Taking a guess here - if it's "something works more for non-English speakers than English-speakers", then that's not racism, it's more of a cultural difference.
I don't listen to rap, but it's pretty fair to expect that the rapper keeps the beat! [...] Furthermore, Guitars and Rap, with blaring drums and a rapper who can't keep a steady beat don't mix very well.
I disagree here. The guy doesn't drop the beat at all. Admittedly there are some complex rhythms that are pulled in there - they rhythm moves off-beat for small bits but he most certainly keeps in-time (which is the important thing). I usually applaud musicians for doing stuff like this because it's better than the boring old standard 4/4 time everyone else pulls.

Anyway, I can feel my jimmies being rustled so I'll stop myself now :laugh: Everyone has their own opinions and they are welcome to them. I'm just more than happy to debate.

Sidenote - Something I've been meaning to do for a while is listen to this XCX song through to work out all the words. That way, I can know for sure whether or not people are basing their opinions on the vocals on how it starts and on the "whole different planet" line. (I'll be honest, that's one of the few lines that's slow enough to hear properly.)

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Guys, why are you comparing this to You Will Know Our Names? This is just the regular battle theme, and in that regard it already beats the crap out of Time to Fight (aka generic Shimomura song #57).

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Guys, I haven't noticed it myself, but apparently, alongside Territorial Hayreddin, there's also an Immovable Fernando in the game.
I wonder if all the old Unique titles are going to be reused in this game.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Guys, why are you comparing this to You Will Know Our Names? This is just the regular battle theme, and in that regard it already beats the crap out of Time to Fight (aka generic Shimomura song #57).
Mechanical Rhythm is also a regular battle theme. That theme is considered to be favorites for most of us here. Does this new X regular battle theme beat Mechanical Rhythm?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Mechanical Rhythm is also a regular battle theme. That theme is considered to be favorites for most of us here. Does this new X regular battle theme beat Mechanical Rhythm?
Is that a fair comparison though? Mechanical Rhythm only appeared later down in the game. It's a version 2 battle theme.

Likewise, there could be a version 2 battle theme in X because maybe there is a certain special area in the game.

It can really only be compared to "time to fight." As they are both meant to be generic catch-all battle themes.

Just as when we hear the unique monster theme for X we will compare that to Xenoblade Chronicles's unique monster theme.

Otherwise there is no point.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Is that a fair comparison though? Mechanical Rhythm only appeared later down in the game. It's a version 2 battle theme.

Likewise, there could be a version 2 battle theme in X because maybe there is a certain special area in the game.

It can really only be compared to "time to fight." As they are both meant to be generic catch-all battle themes.

Just as when we hear the unique monster theme for X we will compare that to Xenoblade Chronicles's unique monster theme.

Agreed. That's like comparing this early Battle theme of X to something like
"Unfinished Battle", "Zanza", and "The God-Slaying Sword". : \

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

It is a fair comparison because it is still essentially a regular battle theme like he said. A regular battle theme that's only later on in the game when you make it to the 2nd world. There's going to be 5 worlds in X right? 5 worlds = 5 battle themes. I just hope they don't all share this rapping theme that seems to be going on here.

Agreed. That's like comparing this early Battle theme of X to something like
"Unfinished Battle", "Zanza", and "The God-Slaying Sword". : \
THESE are unfair comparisons because the first one is a cutscene theme, and the others are final boss themes.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It is a fair comparison because it is still essentially a regular battle theme like he said. A regular battle theme that's only later on in the game when you make it to the 2nd world. There's going to be 5 worlds in X right? 5 worlds = 5 battle themes. I just hope they don't all share this rapping theme that seems to be going on here.
The problem is there is a huge difference between going from Bionis to Mechonis and how the worlds are being handled in X.

You call them "5 worlds" but in reality, each world is more like a massiver Binois Leg or a massiver Satorl marsh, etc.

Not to mention there is nothing spectacularly different about each area. The song works for each area. Time to fight was more for the fantasy aspect of the Bionis while Mechanical Rhytm was the obvious mechanical side of the mechonis.

For all we know, there could be a more alien world you have to go to, then it would make sense to change the music. To have the version 2 to fit the more alien atmosphere.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I honestly can't seem to like the new Xenoblade's music.

I think it's a little... well, bland, or too low. Not catchy enough.
But it might also just be my taste who is wrong.

Edit: I stand corrected. It is far better now, that I catched up with listening to all tracks, but... still have mixed feelings about it!

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sidenote - Something I've been meaning to do for a while is listen to this XCX song through to work out all the words. That way, I can know for sure whether or not people are basing their opinions on the vocals on how it starts and on the "whole different planet" line. (I'll be honest, that's one of the few lines that's slow enough to hear properly.)
I've worked out all the lyrics believe it or not. I've been desperately trying to like this song.... But it's to no avail. Anyway the lyrics

Now we're in a distant land we're stuck in a whole different Plannnnneeeetttt.

No peace lookin' at the sky troubles always on around so we're safer with the guns and canons.

Standin' as long as we can until you get all......... Dolls up

Then we cut off that saw, we then shred Guita'

Now we arrive at the...
Last Stop!

That's the first verse. I would do the rest of the song now, but I have to go. I will write down the rest of the lyrics later today.
It's makes me cringe to see the instances of broken English however......

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Here's my attempt at the lyrics to this song. It'll be coded, and I'm identifying where I'm uncertain of words. Help is appreciated, may come back and edit as people make suggestions.

Based off the original video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBLW7jMLb0

Legend:
Normal colour = Certain
Yellow = 75% sure
Orange = 50% sure
Red = 25% sure (I'm really guessing)
??? = No idea, or I don't want my guessing to make you hear what I'm not sure it's saying.
(xxxxx / yyyyy) = I think it's one of these two?

---------------
Now I'm in a distant land,
we're stuck on a whole different planet,
No peace, lookin' at the sky, trouble's all around
so we're safe with with the guns and cannons.
Stand it as long as you can until you get
all of yours up,
then call all bets off
(and ??? / upload) the (guitar / ???),
dealing with lives messed up.

Well I'm sick of dark matter, every ??? matters,
livin' while other lives shatter,
seek it, don't scatter, as they pour out
we can handle them,
there's a car taking over, they came unexpected,
hard to accept it, ???,
fingerprints and Aztec darkly possessed, (guitar/the tar) inside,
stealin' the body, get prepped,
so hope ???,
???, (I / I'll) fight to the death
screamin' "where's the relief?",
maybe no more sleep.
All swallowed in grief, images start to stalk like a beast,
I hear voices but no one talking to me.

(Second singer)
(... god this guy slurs his words like a drunk, it's hard to work out what he's saying. Maybe it's Engrish. Somehow a better singer though, maybe it's just the harmonies sounding nice.)

Inside I'm washing away my fears ???
???,
If you're losing your way you need some protection,
???, ??? wherever you go
???,
???,
???,
???

(first singer)
They said seek to fight and feel
something to sharpen skills but now we
can only feel all the pain and the danger,
please be real, ...
Edit: Started writing this up before I saw Lozjam's comment, after the last comment I don't want to look like I'm trying to one-up you or prove a point :laugh: it's just good for people to have a reference point when debating. As I mentioned above, I'm certainly interested to hear how other people have heard the words so I can try to get this right.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

THESE are unfair comparisons because the first one is a cutscene theme, and the others are final boss themes.
Exactly my point. : 3

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
wait

this isn't the song on the website

???

So is this what you guys were talking about when you said battle theme? I thought you guys were referring to this
That explains everything.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
They released a video showing off a couple battles with no SFX after the direct ended. It had that music in it.
That makes more sense. I was so confused
"wait why are you guys talking about rap"
"this song has no lyrics"
"how on earth is this a generic battle theme"

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
That makes more sense. I was so confused
"wait why are you guys talking about rap"
"this song has no lyrics"
"how on earth is this a generic battle theme"
Sorry you got so confused. lol

I figured out another problem I have with X's soundtrack. Some of the songs feel really out of place to me. When I think of a song in space, a choir isn't the first thing that comes into mind. Speaking of said choir, there sure is a lot of it. Sawano seems to really like adding a choir for "epic/important moment". This was a problem I had with SnK's soundtrack as well.

This is what ruined X's Main Theme for me.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I just listened to Prologue B six times in a row

what is my life

why is some random song that only plays once so good

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

what is my life

Because they wanted you to have that scene of the Beast charging into battle and then panning out to the whole world engraved in your head (Without context, this sounds like something from Kingdom Hearts).

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
*too lazy to read previous posts*

What are we talking about?
Most people are ranting about the new Xenoblade X battle theme with rap (imo it sounds fine)

I'm wondering why I played the same song 6 times in a row

Also I listened to Destroyed Skyworld twice. That song is arranged by the same person that made Satorl Marsh Night, Prison Island, Daily Life, the final boss theme, Refugee Camp, Frontier Village, and Eryth Sea. It's really good.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Most people are ranting about the new Xenoblade X battle theme with rap (imo it sounds fine)

I'm wondering why I played the same song 6 times in a row

Also I listened to Destroyed Skyworld twice. That song is arranged by the same person that made Satorl Marsh Night, Prison Island, Daily Life, the final boss theme, Refugee Camp, Frontier Village, and Eryth Sea. It's really good.
That, we can agree on.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

what is my life

Technically it plays twice. Once in the Prologue, and the second ime
After Mechonis Core where Shulk's pulls a "Big Damn Hero" moment and saves the party who are losing against Dickson and the Telethia in front of Colony 6. I honestly think the track should've been called "When the Tide Turns", since it played at parts of the story where that was the case.

Its one of my more liked tracks of the game aswell.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Technically it plays twice. Once in the Prologue, and the second ime
After Mechonis Core where Shulk's pulls a "Big Damn Hero" moment and saves the party who are losing against ****son and the Telethia in front of Colony 6. I honestly think the track should've been called "When the Tide Turns", since it played at parts of the story where that was the case.

Its one of my more liked tracks of the game aswell.
Wait, really? Woah :o I guess I didn't notice

And I would probably put Prologue B as one of my top ten Xenoblade songs

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Mostly the new battle theme and its cringe-y rap lyrics. Here it is:

Wait... Think that might be the wrong cringe-y video game rap.
"The new Nopon ball on the block with the fluff crest,
Outta the wilderness with the ruggedness,
Tap tap it's Tatsu"

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
May as well share this here, too.
So, uh... Nintendo's made a partnership with Japanese mobile developer DeNA. Going to put Nintendo IP on smart devices, to essentially advertise their console and handheld stuff.

Part of me says "this makes smart business sense and is a great way to re-tap the casual market and advertise their products." Another part of me says "this paves the way to Nintendo prioritising mobile games over their other stuff." What do you guys think? I'm a bit apprehensive but hoping for the best...

Always be negative when it comes to things like this. I'm definitely worried about this partnership and what it will do to Nintendo's loyalty to the "hardcore" gamers. Mobile gaming is cool and all but it isn't the future at all. Business wise, it's something that's difficult to say, "no" to, so I'd understand why the partnership was initiated from that perspective.

Hopefully, Nintendo's priorities will remain to creating ACTUAL games. Not the stupid, casual, pointless, cash-grab, pay-to-win mobile games.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Always be negative when it comes to things like this. I'm definitely worried about this partnership and what it will do to Nintendo's loyalty to the "hardcore" gamers. Mobile gaming is cool and all but it isn't the future at all. Business wise, it's something that's difficult to say, "no" to, so I'd understand why the partnership was initiated from that perspective.

Hopefully, Nintendo's priorities will remain to creating ACTUAL games. Not the stupid, casual, pointless, cash-grab, pay-to-win mobile games.
It would be pretty cool if they did something like the Sonic 1 and 2 remastered editions with Mario games.

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
@ Berserker. Berserker. Iwata also announced their new console code named, "Nix," is in the works and more info is coming next year.

Edit: also that Nix is in separate development from their partnership and they announced it during the press conference to let the public know that they are still dedicated to home console gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom