• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Has anyone here beaten the adventurer boss at the bottom of Dimension's Hasp? I kind of gave up on that boss a while ago since he kept killing me.

Has anyone here beaten the adventurer boss at the bottom of Dimension's Hasp? I kind of gave up on that boss a while ago since he kept killing me.
Ninja+Dancer (Focus on Str, and Agi)
- Precision (2)
- Frenetic fighting (2)
- Hawkeye (1)

Ninja+Pirate (Focus on Str, and Agi)
- Precision (2)
- Frenetic fighting (2)
- Hawkeye (1)

Ninja+Salve maker (Focus on Str, and Agi)
- Precision (2)
- Frenetic fighting (2)
- Hawkeye (1)

Spiritmaster+White mage (Focus on Mind, PDef, and MDef)
- Maximize HP (3)
- Holy one (2)

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Wait until you fight the one with 999 PDef and 999MDef

Pressure points all day for me
Are they the ones that are Ba'al ii; Turtle Dove[+] and Ba'al iv; Goldie[+]?
Because those are the only ones I have in my Norende. Damn it Spotpass, give me something I can beat...

(I also need to refind a Japanese Mammon for the debug Elixir novelty. Apparently I have 5 debug Elixirs and I've killed all the Mammons I've got them from.)

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
You could always go for stillness method.
A Spiritmaster with hastened world and any team honestly would do.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
What are your thoughts about this review?
I watch CGRUndertow most of the time and I find his opinion this game to be strange.
This felt more like a vindication of FF12 than a Xenoblade review. Are this guy's reviews always so short and uninformative? Is this comedy? If I were a potential customer, this review would tell me nothing. And why are British accents considered bad? Can you imagine this game with American localization? Shulk sounding like Pit, Reyn would probably have Brooklyn Rage, Melia would still speak RP, Xord sounding like a Confederate apologist. That's such a silly comment to make.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
This felt more like a vindication of FF12 than a Xenoblade review. Are this guy's reviews always so short and uninformative? Is this comedy? If I were a potential customer, this review would tell me nothing. And why are British accents considered bad? Can you imagine this game with American localization? Shulk sounding like Pit, Reyn would probably have Brooklyn Rage, Melia would still speak RP, Xord sounding like a Confederate apologist. That's such a silly comment to make.
Now you made me imagine Xord with the voice actor for Dedede in Right Back at Ya. That or Xord looking like Dedede.

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
@ Nammy12 Nammy12

I used a really cheap strategy for that boss, it requires one party member to be a salve maker/vampire with haste world and everyone one else is a vampire/knight(or something). The point is to have the salvemaker use giants draft on everyone, and then spam blood thirst. The giants draft makes sure everyone doesn't get killed in one hit and with blood thirst they heal themselves while attacking. You then auto battle from there and maybe use giants draft if again if anyone dies and gets revived.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh hey what a coincidence. I was just looking at Bravely Second news. Yeah, the ba'al theme is one the best themes there is.

Unfortunately looks like they took it out of Bravely Second. Instead it plays the battle with demons remix music. How sad...

Anyway yeah, amazing game. Edea is best an glad she is returning as playable for Bravely second.

The main cast seems incredibly with Magnolia, Yu, Edea, and Tiz. (Still curious at what the heck happened to the other two characters that were with Yu).

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey what a coincidence. I was just looking at Bravely Second news. Yeah, the ba'al theme is one the best themes there is.

Unfortunately looks like they took it out of Bravely Second. Instead it plays the battle with demons remix music. How sad...

Anyway yeah, amazing game. Edea is best an glad she is returning as playable for Bravely second.

The main cast seems incredibly with Magnolia, Yu, Edea, and Tiz. (Still curious at what the heck happened to the other two characters that were with Yu).
It's still possible that they're not revealing information about that song so it can be hidden as a secret boss fight or cameo battle.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You know, I wonder if the main protagonist is up to snuff.

Hey Cross, are you feeling it?

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 10.06.09 PM.png

I feel it to Cross.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
You know, I wonder if the main protagonist is up to snuff.

Hey Cross, are you feeling it?

I feel it to Cross.
I mean, technically, I would consider Elma the main protagonist in the game as she is a leader and an undeniable badass. But I mean, who wouldn't be feeling it if he was in the company of Lyn? I mean, if he had half a brain he would constantly be at Lyn's side. I mean, Lyn can handle herself well. She has more sass than an Immovable Gonzales, more intelligence than a Machina, and better reflexes than a telethia. Plus she is literally a female successor to Reyn in almost every way. How could you not be feeling it when you have Reyn Time?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
That's right... I remembered why I don't look up Bravely Default's music on YouTube. The spoilers.
My progress when I started accidentally spoiling myself - Vampire Castle, needing to go into the Pillar of Light.
Where I am now - Vampire Castle Round 2, having re-defeated everything in order except for the Earth Crystal boss.

- "Evil Fight: Airy's first battle theme. Evil Flight: Airy's second battle theme." - GODDAMN IT! I was only mildly starting to suspect she has other motives. Also, implied via the fact Evil Wings' "Boss Creature" in TFF:CC's DLC bears a resemblance to her. Doubled up again when she shows up in the Bravely Second trailer wearing black and hanging out with Relius Clover the ominous mask guy. Tripled when people name their videos "Airy boss fight" to see in the YouTube sidebar. This plot twist would've been killer, and I'd have been high-fiving myself for figuring it out.

- "Airy and Ouroboros disliked this video" - Well, I dunno who Ouroboros is, but great, now I'm pretty sure I know who the two final bosses are.

- "I cried when Tiz collapsed in the graveyard" - I dunno what's happening, but this is gonna cut the edge right off any twist involving something big with Tiz.

Just now, after video swapping from the Ba'al theme linked here to a boss battle video with it:
"Woah, we have to destroy the Crystals?!" - Now, I may have misread this, because I caught a couple of words and my brain screamed STOP READING before I processed the entire sentence. To be honest, I'd read the in-game notes about too much prayer sending them into some hypersensitive beserk state, so after the Airy-spoiling, the whole "Vestal will be mislead/betrayed" stuff, and the early-game painfully obvious "We want to stop/damage the Crystals and we could probably settle this by explaining why we're doing these horrible things, but we're not going to tell", I'm not surprised.
You'd think by this point I'd have learned not to read any kind of online comments about things I haven't finished.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Doesn't Airy have three fight themes? I see almost no one mention the theme when you fight Airy after you break the crystal/enter the final pillar of light. I beleive it's called Evil Thing.

Also I always thought those songs were named Wicked Thing/Battle/Flight. :/

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Airy have three fight themes? I see almost no one mention the theme when you fight Airy after you break the crystal/enter the final pillar of light. I beleive it's called Evil Thing.

Also I always thought those songs were named Wicked Thing/Battle/Flight. :/
People sometimes also put the name of the boss that songs accompany, so people know where they are played in game.

Pretty irrelevant but Buster art is still my favorite art until now <3

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
It's been a little while since the xenoblade x direct so I think I can stop hermiting.
As far as I can see, I play a bit differently to how I used to. But my old strategy was throwing nairs into everything. Now I'm actively trying to space things or pull off particular combos - maybe I'm overthinking when I play, trying to do things that don't yet come naturally. (Edit: Sounds kind of like fundamentals. But now I think about it, I don't really know how to define fundamentals so don't know what to work on.)

As for a secondary character, it's currently Palutena for me. Though I can sadly tell that I won't be able to cut it against a lot of players with her. Was thinking maybe Mario or Mega Man. As bad as I'd feel for resorting to a top-tier character, Sheik does seem pretty solid.
For a secondary, I say to just pick whoever you think would come naturally to you. I started to secondary Link, because he was one of my two mains in brawl. I figured he would come very naturally to me, and he did. If you are thinking Mario, then just go ahead with it.

On the other hand, before trying out Link, I tried out Luigi. I wanted to secondary him because I figured he would help me deal with MUs Shulk has a hard time with. I watched a video, tried him out in practice mode, and then went to FG with him. I did alright, but the matches were usually pretty close and tense. In most situations, I figured I could probably win easier if I just used Mario instead. It's probably true.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Jump is where it is. I hated off stage play, always was too afraid. Jump airspeed for offstage/gimping, speed for groundgame, and quick aerials, buster for grabs and mindgames. Shield against unknown match-ups or now wanting taking quick damage, learning the enemies pattern. Buster, when you don't care about your % anymore and just want to dish outadvantage/damage. Smash rarely, but for quick revenge kills.

But mostly Speed > Jump > Smash for me.

I like buster. The reward is just too good for me to ignore. Spacing with it correctly at neutral and dishing out insane damage when the time is right feels amazing

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I have a bit of a story here.

Earlier today I decided to play on For Glory for the first time in a while. My Shulk kept getting rekt, so I'd had enough and was on my last one or two matches when I came up against one guy in particular. Had a bit of a laugh, because the alias he used was the same as someone who attended one of my area's local Smash events (I hadn't met the guy, just been calling the name out as a TO.) After the match, I viewed their profile and noticed that they lived in the same region as me - maybe it's the same guy! Small world... Thankfully, this match was actually a close one and we ended up staying online battling for the next hour.

In our second-last match, we had a beautiful off-stage moment. I most certainly saved the replay after the match ended, just for that bit. I filmed a dodgy copy of this section with my phone on a GamePad screen (TV broken), then retold this story and uploaded the recording to a local Smash group, to show off what happened and to see if I could locate this guy.

I feel like an awesome detective now, because yep, he responded! Not only did he save the replay of the match, but uploaded the same part to YouTube through a proper recording device - and this is it.
I don't think we could do this again if we tried. And lets ignore my terrible Shulking at the end, I need to learn ground approaches...

Last edited:
I made a post in the metagame thread about ground approaches/ground game in general. If you start mastering your ground game, you'll realize that you'll get a lot of damage out of just simply using tilts (even with buster activated, grounded play is rewarded heavily)
want to capitalize on how important it is to utilize Shulk's tilts. D-tilt works better for spacing since it has slightly longer range than f-tilt. It also works better for interrupting rush down attempts. F-tilt is better for dealing with pressure especially if you pivot with it. F-tilt also works better against air borne opponents. Although you'd think u-tilt is better, the hitbox on u-tilt is weird and there's a certain area where in u-tilt won't hit (45 degrees? Not sure to be exact) but whatever that blind spot is, f-tilt can cover that spot, pivoted or not. As for u-tilt, its use is fairly obvious and there's a specific area wherein it should be used. You should always use u-tilt when you get the chance to. It comes out at frame 10 which is as fast as d-tilt so you can catch opponents off guard with it

The most IMPORTANT aspect of using your tilts is to get used to their hitboxes. You're usually too used to how much area f-air and n-air can cover so using f-tilt and d-tilt may feel a bit stiff at first. It does but once you fully understand the hitboxes, you'll be dealing significantly more damage. More importantly, you're less susceptible to shield grabbing for as long as you mix up your spacing options. Plus, your tilts are significantly safer on shield than your aerials anyway (except b-air. That **** is safe on shield if spaced correctly)

Another thing: Once you master your tilts' hitboxes and utilize them properly, you don't have to worry about closing in to deal damage with buster. Shulk's tilts deal a lot of damage anyway. I don't think you can deal THAT much damage with n-air and f-air alone.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I made a post in the metagame thread about ground approaches/ground game in general. If you start mastering your ground game, you'll realize that you'll get a lot of damage out of just simply using tilts (even with buster activated, grounded play is rewarded heavily)
I agree that the tilts feel a little weird, I'm only just now getting used to the weird ~45-100 degree swipe on the u-tilt. Always been comfortable with d-tilt, not so much f-tilt. Wouldn't have expected it to cover air approaches. I find getting shield-grabbed is my biggest issue right now because I'm very nair/fair-happy. I'm a bit predictable so think I need to mix up my aerial approaches with grabs more often. Or maybe a spot-dodge, I dunno.

The entirety of my ground approaches are Speed pivot-grab, roll and... that's it. I need to try pivot-tilting some more, and letting them do the approaching when I'm not getting pelted with projectiles.

I agree that the tilts feel a little weird, I'm only just now getting used to the weird ~45-100 degree swipe on the u-tilt. Always been comfortable with d-tilt, not so much f-tilt. Wouldn't have expected it to cover air approaches. I find getting shield-grabbed is my biggest issue right now because I'm very nair/fair-happy. I'm a bit predictable so think I need to mix up my aerial approaches with grabs more often. Or maybe a spot-dodge, I dunno.

The entirety of my ground approaches are Speed pivot-grab, roll and... that's it. I need to try pivot-tilting some more, and letting them do the approaching when I'm not getting pelted with projectiles.
Ah yes. This was my problem also. Being too n-air or f-air happy opens you up for being shield grabbed. You gotta mix it up with your tilts and grabs to alleviate that issue.

F-tilt also feels weird but I think it should be utilized when the opponent is using an attack. I think f-tilt finds its uses once you're not at neutral. Feeling pressured by the opponent? Pivot f-tilt. You're beginning to gather momentum, use f-tilt in combos because it deals a LOT of damage (especially in buster art). D-tilt is definitely more useful to use for zoning at neutral. It can be used if you're combo'ing but you'll definitely gain more with f-tilt

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Ah yes. This was my problem also. Being too n-air or f-air happy opens you up for being shield grabbed. You gotta mix it up with your tilts and grabs to alleviate that issue.

F-tilt also feels weird but I think it should be utilized when the opponent is using an attack. I think f-tilt finds its uses once you're not at neutral. Feeling pressured by the opponent? Pivot f-tilt. You're beginning to gather momentum, use f-tilt in combos because it deals a LOT of damage (especially in buster art). D-tilt is definitely more useful to use for zoning at neutral. It can be used if you're combo'ing but you'll definitely gain more with f-tilt
F-tilt to victory!
I've really got to solidify in my mind when to use d-tilt and when to use f-tilt. It used to be that I'd always opt for d-tilt because it was safer and just never use f-tilt. Knowing I was missing out on Buster f-tilts, I started f-tilting more. Now I never d-tilt. I'm trying to use f-tilt to space and often just barely miss because of lower range. Even though I recognise d-tilt should be used for spacing and know f-tilt was better at racking up damage, it's a matter of breaking the habit again.

Your last few posts have been pretty education as for what spacial situations I should use f-tilt under, since I've never been too sure. And as dumb as it might sound over such an obvious thing, but after working it out for myself, hearing someone else say "d-tilt for spacing, f-tilt for damage" is reassuring. So thanks.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel as though Shulk is overtaking Duck Hunt as my main. His air game and zoning is just so glorious.

At the moment, I've settled for just having two mains with the excuse of two different versions.

I'll probably be completely sold on Shulk once I try Xenoblade 3D, if I really end up feeling the game.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I like Armour :awesome:
Actually though my preference would probably be Speed > Buster > Shield > Jump > Smash. Just today I survived to 200% without using Shield againstone of my friends playing Shiek and took off a stock with Buster's help <3
Buster is slowly growing on me.
I have a bit of a story here.

Earlier today I decided to play on For Glory for the first time in a while. My Shulk kept getting rekt, so I'd had enough and was on my last one or two matches when I came up against one guy in particular. Had a bit of a laugh, because the alias he used was the same as someone who attended one of my area's local Smash events (I hadn't met the guy, just been calling the name out as a TO.) After the match, I viewed their profile and noticed that they lived in the same region as me - maybe it's the same guy! Small world... Thankfully, this match was actually a close one and we ended up staying online battling for the next hour.

In our second-last match, we had a beautiful off-stage moment. I most certainly saved the replay after the match ended, just for that bit. I filmed a dodgy copy of this section with my phone on a GamePad screen (TV broken), then retold this story and uploaded the recording to a local Smash group, to show off what happened and to see if I could locate this guy.

I feel like an awesome detective now, because yep, he responded! Not only did he save the replay of the match, but uploaded the same part to YouTube through a proper recording device - and this is it.
I don't think we could do this again if we tried. And lets ignore my terrible Shulking at the end, I need to learn ground approaches...
That was glorious.
haha get it because it's for glory

D

Deleted member

We talking about sliding animations now!? Kotaku really have nothing better to do with their time don't they.
Well, some people have really slow news days.

I feel as though Shulk is overtaking Duck Hunt as my main. His air game and zoning is just so glorious.

At the moment, I've settled for just having two mains with the excuse of two different versions.

I'll probably be completely sold on Shulk once I try Xenoblade 3D, if I really end up feeling the game.
Definitely try to see if you can get Xenoblade on the New 3DS. It's by far one of the best games that I ever played. I think the game will more than sell you on Shulk. :)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Definitely try to see if you can get Xenoblade on the New 3DS. It's by far one of the best games that I ever played. I think the game will more than sell you on Shulk. :)
Already planning on it. I don't particularly care for RPGs, but I did love EarthBound so who knows.

At least, I'll probably feel more connected with Shulk as a character besides just his accent.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Already planning on it. I don't particularly care for RPGs, but I did love EarthBound so who knows.

At least, I'll probably feel more connected with Shulk as a character besides just his accent.
This is coming from someone completely biased towards him, but I think it will. Having bought Xenoblade on release, I knew Shulk to be a pretty deep and complex character. How he thinks, what his motives are. Whilst I was 100% hyped for him being in Smash, it hurt a little seeing him reduced to "The Meme Man" in everyone else's eyes.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This is coming from someone completely biased towards him, but I think it will. Having bought Xenoblade on release, I knew Shulk to be a pretty deep and complex character. How he thinks, what his motives are. Whilst I was 100% hyped for him being in Smash, it hurt a little seeing him reduced to "The Meme Man" in everyone else's eyes.
I started playing as him because of his amazing accent, but having the best taunts ever doesn't hurt.

Though it was ultimately his playstyle that won me over. A combination of factors.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
New avatar! Moved from one titan to the other :p. Most of you won't notice this, but I also made my signature transparent for anyone that is using the few non-brown background smashboards styles.

Shulk is a pretty fun character to use! Likewise, Xenoblade is a pretty fun game to play! Regardless of what genres you generally like, Xenoblade will be a great experience. Also, if you ever run into issues in the game you can always come here and we will be glad to offer advice or suggestions.

By the way, I need to comment that I like your avatar. James is one of my favorite characters from the pokemon anime.

Top Bottom