• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I really hope FFXV turn out to be good because that will be the reason for me to pick up a PS4. But Xenoblade X will be a must buy for me, I'm liking how Xenoblade X looks so far can't say the same for FFXV.
I really wouldn't get your hopes up....... Even when we don't take into account the atrocious FFXlV, we can take a look at the development cycle of this game....... FFXV has been in a hellhole in its development. This game originally started as FFXlll Battle Versus... And that was in 2006! Takeshi will have made 2 top notch, best of the genre, diamonds(Xenoblade and Xenoblade X), within the timespan of Square making this single game! Not only that, FFXV experienced both a change in console, and a change of engine. The assets are going to be pretty messed up(Which is why FFXV looks very very meh in which Skyrim was more graphically impressive than it). Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many ideas, and too many cuts.... Not only that, but having a PS4 and XBoxOne version will severely detriment the game as it takes more time away from actual development. So if they rush this game(Which I think they definitely are), we may be looking at a pretty meh Final Fantasy game....
Again, I would love to be wrong, but I am not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member

As much as I want to like FFXV, my excitement for the upcoming game has waned over the months. There are other PS4/Xbone games I would much rather play. Even FF Type-0 HD looks more promising in my opinion.

And seriously, after nearly a decade, FFXV should have been released by now.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Are bootleg amiibos a thing? I'm just seeing these suspiciously low priced Japanese Shulk amiibos and on the one hand I'm like "yasss" but on the other I'm like "hmmm." I know they're not region locked so I guess the Japanese are making a killing selling Shulk amiibos, but it just feels too good to be true.

And I finally blew through my Club Nintendo savings for the Smash posters with (surprise surprise) Shulk included. It was a struggle because I had to manually register some stuff by phone and the website kept crashing when I went to order, but I got the confirmation order.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I wish they put those posters up earlier. I would have much preferred A Shulk poster than a Rosa/Palutena/Villager poster set. Though maybe I'm just being picky.

Also I'm only 70 coins from Platinum status and I have no games left this is killing me.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I wish they put those posters up earlier. I would have much preferred A Shulk poster than a Rosa/Palutena/Villager poster set. Though maybe I'm just being picky.

Also I'm only 70 coins from Platinum status and I have no games left this is killing me.
No friends/siblings whose games/consoles you can mooch off? No pre-Club Nintendo digital downloads to manually register? :(

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm probably going to end up switching characters every time I go into one of the major areas of the game, hopefully this game also keeps the system in Chronicles where party members not in your team gain experience, otherwise it will be incredibly difficult to switch characters around.
I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't pull what Tales of Xillia 2 did - you can only swap party members in cities and not out on the field. (I still don't know why they did that tbh, such a pain.)

I've got to shove all my games into Club Nintendo, but... in my region I can only buy, like, face cloths and sticky notes. Not sure if it's even worth it. I was shocked to learn other regions get digital downloads (I'd kill for F-Zero X on my Wii U). I'd even love a poster, but noooo...

*grumble grumble*, oh well.

Last edited:
You guys are being silly

Final Fantasy XV is coming out on the PS5~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whoops. Made an edit

I meant that it's coming out on PS5
Knowing Square Enix and the development history of FFXV, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep delaying the game to the point where a PS5 version becomes a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Knowing Square Enix and the development history of FFXV, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep delaying the game to the point where a PS5 version becomes a reality.
You're being a little too generous. PS6 mark 2 is when the FFXV will be released.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Well. Went to a local tournament today, 49 entrants. Got completely thrashed. Bye'd Round 1, solidly beaten by a Link in Round 2 then destroyed by Captain Falcon in Round 3. I know the Link player got really far in the last tournament, and the Falcon got far did in this one. I played a careful game against Link and I had my moments, but he was always leading by roughly 60% damage. Considered swapping to Palutena but decided to stick with what I knew with Shulk - didn't work out. With Falcon, he was by no means a bad player, but wow... I just had a shocking game. Kept running into his fsmash. Even got utilt spiked. I just couldn't grab any kind of momentum.

I was certainly in some kind of death bracket but I guess complaining won't get me anywhere. The solution is really just "get good". Tell you what though, after placing 5th twice and then this badly twice... kind of hurts my morale and I don't get how I can be certainly getting better but performing worse. Oh well. Gotta find some people to practise against.

There seems to be some kind of local metagame - because I swear that literally >50% of people played either Captain Falcon or Sheik. Ultimately the finals were Luigi vs. Villager, but damn, I have some matchups to learn. From what I understand, Shulk has a hard time with Sheik. I'm not sure how he generally does with Falcon, but I'm usually okay with them. Though he's really fast, which works against us. I think I may need to pick up someone else just to cover the guys Shulk can't handle.

Side note, is perfect pivoting really worth learning? I've been told it is, but... I dunno. Having the option doesn't hurt. Like MALLC, I guess it's just something I have to practise until it's second nature.

Well. Went to a local tournament today, 49 entrants. Got completely thrashed. Bye'd Round 1, solidly beaten by a Link in Round 2 then destroyed by Captain Falcon in Round 3. I know the Link player got really far in the last tournament, and the Falcon got far did in this one. I played a careful game against Link and I had my moments, but he was always leading by roughly 60% damage. Considered swapping to Palutena but decided to stick with what I knew with Shulk - didn't work out. With Falcon, he was by no means a bad player, but wow... I just had a shocking game. Kept running into his fsmash. Even got utilt spiked. I just couldn't grab any kind of momentum.

I was certainly in some kind of death bracket but I guess complaining won't get me anywhere. The solution is really just "get good". Tell you what though, after placing 5th twice and then this badly twice... kind of hurts my morale and I don't get how I can be certainly getting better but performing worse. Oh well. Gotta find some people to practise against.

There seems to be some kind of local metagame - because I swear that literally >50% of people played either Captain Falcon or Sheik. Ultimately the finals were Luigi vs. Villager, but damn, I have some matchups to learn. From what I understand, Shulk has a hard time with Sheik. I'm not sure how he generally does with Falcon, but I'm usually okay with them. Though he's really fast, which works against us. I think I may need to pick up someone else just to cover the guys Shulk can't handle.

Side note, is perfect pivoting really worth learning? I've been told it is, but... I dunno. Having the option doesn't hurt. Like MALLC, I guess it's just something I have to practise until it's second nature.
First off, since it seems a bit off-putting that you somehow didn't perform as well as usual, something probably went wrong with how you played. You probably should ask others what you did wrong and think about it deeply

As for counterpicks, you should probably pick up a top tier back up like Sheik imo

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
First off, since it seems a bit off-putting that you somehow didn't perform as well as usual, something probably went wrong with how you played. You probably should ask others what you did wrong and think about it deeply

As for counterpicks, you should probably pick up a top tier back up like Sheik imo
As far as I can see, I play a bit differently to how I used to. But my old strategy was throwing nairs into everything. Now I'm actively trying to space things or pull off particular combos - maybe I'm overthinking when I play, trying to do things that don't yet come naturally. (Edit: Sounds kind of like fundamentals. But now I think about it, I don't really know how to define fundamentals so don't know what to work on.)

As for a secondary character, it's currently Palutena for me. Though I can sadly tell that I won't be able to cut it against a lot of players with her. Was thinking maybe Mario or Mega Man. As bad as I'd feel for resorting to a top-tier character, Sheik does seem pretty solid.

Last edited:
Mario works well also

Don't aim to pull combos off. Only do combos when you conveniently land a certain attack which starts the said combo. Try not to overthink when playing. When you make reads, you should think fast and be decisive. Taking risks is also going to be inevitable at some point

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU - I had decided upon Shulk and Sheik to be my mains before the 3DS versions even released (before tiers, etc.), and I can let you know that (I feel) they compliment each other well. Just know in advance that if you put time into Sheik, you can probably become adept with her, but she's not as accessible as say Diddy to succeed in high-level tournaments. . . She is high-tier, but, it still does take some work. That, and Sheik is not the best K.O. artist. . . Gimp whenever possible, and become a sniper with the lovely Bouncing Fish, etc.

Anyhow, iYakku has uploaded the first translation bit of the new battle overview video. Go watch it, as it is very well done!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As for a secondary character, it's currently Palutena for me. Though I can sadly tell that I won't be able to cut it against a lot of players with her. Was thinking maybe Mario or Mega Man. As bad as I'd feel for resorting to a top-tier character, Sheik does seem pretty solid.
In my opinion (and don't judge me by my mains), but I say go for Luigi.
From personal experience, I've struggled to use Shulk against characters like Sheik, Sonic, Fox, and sometimes Captain Falcon. When I switch to Luigi, the match-up becomes a bit easier for me as he has some tools to deal with those characters (such as his spammable Fireball and nair). His air speed is bad and his recovery is gimpable, but I can easily recommend Luigi to Shulk players, especially when Shulk can cover some of Luigi's bad match-ups like Mr. Game & Watch and Little Mac.

So yeah... go green!:4luigi:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
In my opinion (and don't judge me by my mains), but I say go for Luigi.
From personal experience, I've struggled to use Shulk against characters like Sheik, Sonic, Fox, and sometimes Captain Falcon. When I switch to Luigi, the match-up becomes a bit easier for me as he has some tools to deal with those characters (such as his spammable Fireball and nair). His air speed is bad and his recovery is gimpable, but I can easily recommend Luigi to Shulk players, especially when Shulk can cover some of Luigi's bad match-ups like Mr. Game & Watch and Little Mac.

So yeah... go green!:4luigi:
Initially I didn't take to Luigi at all. His movement is so weird, floaty and slippery. When I heard that he was a serious threat in Smash 4 for those unprepared, I didn't really believe it. Then I saw some of his combo game about a month ago, and yesterday saw him going toe-to-toe with the Villager that decimated me in my first tourney. The Falcon that beat me was 3-stocked by another Falcon, and he was 3-stocked by this Villager. But Luigi was up there, competing with this guy. Those fireballs! That dthrow! Both the Villager and Luigi were excellent players. Even better, it was the Luigi player's first tourney - well done to him. So yeah... I've seen what he can do, Luigi is scary.

Might narrow it down to Mario, Luigi, Sheik, Robin, Palutena. I think I'll play around with them and then some others, and see who I have the most fun with.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I've had the most success with both Mario bros, though I prefer :4mario: because I have more fun with him.

:4sonic: and :4pikachu: are also neat options if you need a faster character to handle those rushdowns who overwhelm Shulk.

D

Deleted member

For me, that other main character is Link. His projectile weapons can be very effective when used correctly.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
My other main is Zelda even though she doesn't do better in any matchup than Shulk except Rosalina, lol. Idk, she's been my main since Melee and she's just too close to me to get rid of her.

However, if you're going to pick another character specifically to cover Shulk's weaknesses, I would go with someone go who can handle pressure better and has faster attacks. Sheik and Luigi sound like good candidates, as mentioned by others. Of course, make sure you enjoy playing the character you pick as well.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
For me, that other main character is Link. His projectile weapons can be very effective when used correctly.
I still can't believe that Link is actually good in this game. I've waited years to be able to say that.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I still can't believe that Link is actually good in this game. I've waited years to be able to say that.
All the Zelda characters seem to be improved in this game, which is awesome to see. Link is great now, Sheik is obviously top tier, Ganon is great with customs, Toon Link is good as well, but then...
:4zelda:
I'm not gonna rant cuz that's what the Zelda social is for :') But I agree, it's amazing to finally see Link as a viable competitive character.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
All the Zelda characters seem to be improved in this game, which is awesome to see. Link is great now, Sheik is obviously top tier, Ganon is great with customs, Toon Link is good as well, but then...
I'm not gonna rant cuz that's what the Zelda social is for :') But I agree, it's amazing to finally see Link as a viable competitive character.
Yep. I never looked that far into the Melee or Brawl competitive scenes, but a friend of mine who is a tad more into competitive Smash once told me that one of those games (can't remember witch at the moment) had an "H tier" or "Hyrule tier" that pretty much consisted of the Zelda cast with the exception of Sheik. Not sure if it's 100% true or not, but it got a good laugh out of me.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Yep. I never looked that far into the Melee or Brawl competitive scenes, but a friend of mine who is a tad more into competitive Smash once told me that one of those games (can't remember witch at the moment) had an "H tier" or "Hyrule tier" that pretty much consisted of the Zelda cast with the exception of Sheik. Not sure if it's 100% true or not, but it got a good laugh out of me.
Haha it's totally true. They were speaking of Brawl, btw. Only Sheik, Sheik/Zelda, and T Link aren't bottom tier, and Sheik and Sheik/Zelda aren't too far off from it

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
You know guys, this may be very very far off into the future... But I would love to see a mod of Smash 4 that balances the game, adds old and new characters(if hacking the game is truly a thing, Chrom would be so easy to make his own character. Chrom already has most of the animations from Robins final smash as well. I think decloning the clone characters would be very beneficial as well. Most of all though, is I want Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers back), and has new stages. It would also be amazing to eliminate boss battles(literally no one likes them! Not even the casual crowd! The only one that is actually bearable and likeable is Metal Face in Gaur Plains!
However, I would really hate to see another Project M styled of mod.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
So I realized today just how limited I am on the 3DS.
When I battle a Villager, I usually get bopped.
But on the Wii U, I managed it FAR better.

Looks like I'm not touching the 3ds version again.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@ Andyjoe522 Andyjoe522 : "I still can't believe that Link is actually good in this game. I've waited years to be able to say that."
As a Yoshi main, I sympathize. I didn't even believe that Yoshi could ever be anything other than the gimmicky sucky character everyone just kind of scoffs at, so hearing people that not only was he was not bad but good was... unbelievable. I knew maining the same character for more than a decade and refusing to try anyone new would pay off some day. :shades:

You know guys, this may be very very far off into the future... But I would love to see a mod of Smash 4 that balances the game, adds old and new characters(if hacking the game is truly a thing, Chrom would be so easy to make his own character. Chrom already has most of the animations from Robins final smash as well. I think decloning the clone characters would be very beneficial as well. Most of all though, is I want Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers back), and has new stages. It would also be amazing to eliminate boss battles(literally no one likes them! Not even the casual crowd! The only one that is actually bearable and likeable is Metal Face in Gaur Plains!
As resident Filthy Casual I enjoy the Not-Yellow Devil boss fights (that one is terrible and irredeemable, the less we talk about it the better). I do wish there were an option to turn them off for when you... don't want them (much like every other stage hazard), but I'm okay with them. I even like Ridley showing up (if he's not playable, at least we got this, eh?). The whole "Ridley's your slave when you damage him a lot" thing is kind of weird, but whatever, who knows what Sakurai was thinking. I must have weird taste, though, because I loved Gaur Plains even on the 3DS version before I knew anything about Xenoblade, and I see it listed as one of the worst stages a lot on Smashboards.

I do feel as a boss Metal Face is by far the best, mostly because he has lines besides "roar" - he apparently has the most lines of any speaking character in Smash 4, more than even the announcer. But I have conflicting feelings - on the one hand, I wish he didn't just chill in the middle of the stage and was more active in attacking players as opposed to only doing anything when a player wanders into his personal space. On the other hand, that could easily end up an unusable Yellow Devil-sized mess; I think most people are annoyed when the stage is destroyed (I'm not, but once again, bad taste) so doing more stuff could be too much. He also just leaves way too soon, imo, but I guess that's Sakurai respecting the source material :troll:

I'm very offended at Snake being left out of your Brawl veterans list. ))))):

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I realized today just how linked I am on the 3DS.
When I battle a Villager, I usually get bopped.
But on the Wii U, I managed it FAR better.

Looks like I'm not touching the 3ds version again.
I only touched the 3DS version again to update it. Otherwise, I have been strictly playing the Wii U version.
Ugh, I just hate the 3DS controls.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd just say that Zelda has a more complete kit in this game as opposed to relying on a few abusive
tools, like Mr. Game & Watch. If you weren't a good Brawl player, Zelda could shut you down super
easily with giant Din's, huge Usmash, spammable Dsmash almost as fast as Meta Knight's.
The kick nerfs were probably a little overkill, but at least Falcon also has big landing lag on his knee.
Though the comparatively lagless Brawl kicks probably caused some rage too.

By contrast many of her less useful moves got buffs. Jab can lead into things at low percents,
Ftilt is better at killing with it's forward trajectory, Utilt got changed into a combo move instead
of a slower alternative to Usmash, her grab, though still slower than average, can't be sidestepped
on reaction anymore, Nayru's got invincibility frames making it better as a defensive move,
and Farore's speaks for itself. Then there's the Phantom that gives her a long poke.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
However, I would really hate to see another Project M styled of mod.
Most of what you said is a LOT more difficult and time consuming than you think it is and I think you're undermining how much work it would take to even make one character. I'll take Chrom as an example. The only thing that would be usable from Smash 4 is his model (since it's a pretty good quality model unlike, say, Assist Trophy models). The one animation he has from Robin during the Final Smash isn't nearly enough for a playable character who has around 300 different animations. You could base his animations on Marth or Ike to save a lot of time, but there would still need to be a lot of work to be done to make him feel like a unique character. Hundreds of man hours would still need to be committed to making, balancing and fine tuning the character.

Furthermore think about it this way, Brawl modding started around 2008/2009 and actually developed quite a significant modding scene (probably the largest out of any console game so plenty of people were dedicated to it). It wasn't until 2013 were we were adding additional characters to the game. Smash 4 modding is barely a thing, and a fair few of the people who modded Brawl don't really care to mod Smash 4 (I know I don't for instance).

Well this **** is kinda scary but it's awesome anyway. The boss battle was insanely difficult though unless you had hasten world

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Baten Kaitos (GameCube game by Monolith Soft), PAL, ~$50. Worth it? I'm fairly sure it's BK Wings/Ocean whatever and not Origins, since that doesn't exist in PAL regions. Going for about $60-90 on eBay. On one hand, I want anything and everything related to Monolith Soft; on the other hand, I've been impulse buying a lot lately, my gaming backlog is bigger than ever and I don't have enough time to play all these games.

Well this **** is kinda scary but it's awesome anyway. The boss battle was insanely difficult though unless you had hasten world
I know what this without clicking the video - when I came across this in-game I was like "Damn... I think That Person's Name Is might have a contender for favourite." I still want to re-find a Lv.20 Ba'al; Turtle Dove because I accidentally lost the one I had, and I'm in no shape to stand up to the Lv. 99 variants.

I'm going to pretend I haven't heard Evil Wings and The Serpent Devouring The Horizon via Theatrhythm FF:CC DLC because I haven't finished Bravely Default yet.

I know what this without clicking the video - when I came across this in-game I was like "Damn... I think That Person's Name Is might have a contender for favourite." I still want to re-find a Lv.20 Ba'al; Turtle Dove because I accidentally lost the one I had, and I'm in no shape to stand up to the Lv. 99 variants.

I'm going to pretend I haven't heard Evil Wings and The Serpent Devouring The Horizon via Theatrhythm FF:CC DLC because I haven't finished Bravely Default yet.
Wait until you fight the one with 999 PDef and 999MDef

Pressure points all day for me

Top Bottom