• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I think I managed to get that high with Ike. Up smash ftw.
I have no idea how you did it with Shulk though. Please teach me.
Vision counter. Vision Counter and Monado arts!
I'm going to do everything on hard this weekend too, since I've neglegted Shulk a little too much I guess.

D

Deleted member

Yesterday, I realized that starting with Speed isn't always the best idea. I don't think that Speed will work well against characters like Zero Suit Samus and Sonic. So, I am mixing up using my Arts in the beginning or not even use an Art at all.

I used Shield instead of Speed against Zero Suit Samus because most of the ones I've encountered go all aggro on me; I had more favorable results, but I don't think that it was the best Art. I am currently figuring out which Arts are best to start off with against certain characters, like maybe Buster against a Luigi.

I picked up Rosalina as a secondary in case I'm not doing too well with Shulk. I'll still primarily use Shulk. I've been trying to get the execution of those jump art combos that were discovered in the metagame thread. The buster d-throw -> D-tilt is really easy to use but I've switched from using buster at the start of a match to using speed then buster at the start. I still tend to use buster at the start but only when I feel like it

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yesterday was my shopping day, and I tried to find some interesting Wii and Wii U games to expand my Wii U library for when I'll get it for Christmas. I secretly hoped to find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, and you know what? I found it! (Otherwise I wouldn't post in this thread lol) When I saw it for sale my reaction in my head was something like "Oh my... God... they have it!!" :rotfl: It's a used copy (obviously), I only paid €26 (roughly $32.5), though the actual price was €39 (roughly $48.50), I got this discount thanks to a friend's loyalty card. This same friend owns a Wii, so I tried it at his home. At first I thought the battle system was a chaotic mess and I feared to not enjoy it, but then I tried to be more comprehensive about it and now I really see the fun of the game! I didn't go far, it was just to see how feels (no I'll not do this joke) the game before I can play it again at home, I stopped when Shulk got the Monado, but this weapon is... absolutely OP against Mekons and I'm somewhat worried about it making the game too easy :urg: can someone reassure me about my fears? Possibly without spoilers of course.

I can't wait for Christmas to play this game as well as a few others, including Smash U of course!
First of all, welcome to our world! Hopefully you love the game as much as we have.
It sounds like the game did its job of making the Mechon seem incredibly imposing and kind of scary to face off against, by making Topple your only option. I think at the point you're at, they want to show off "the power of the Monado". It excels at fighting Mechon but it plays fairly regularly against everything else. Enchant helps your teammates catch up to Shulk's damage output in those fights, and much later there are effective ways to fight them without Shulk in the party. Don't worry :)

I saw this and went "Hey, I got a GSP in to 300k range with Shulk" and I was going to go take a screenshot and smugly post it here trying to 1-Up your score.

Turns out I've hit 300,000+ GSP but my score is just over 2,000,000, haha. 4mil is massive... challenge accepted.
Edit: First attempt. Score's 3,195,900, roughly 9:20 minutes. I focused on using Buster because of the sheer damage output that doesn in All-Star (dash-attack Buster did nearly 50%, Smash attacks put them straight to 100% I swear). I noticed the GSP counter going up as I hit things so I assumed Buster would be best. I assume the score is based off damage dealt and time completed, not sure how those are weighted though. Maybe I'll do some calcs or something.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I picked up Rosalina as a secondary in case I'm not doing too well with Shulk. I'll still primarily use Shulk. I've been trying to get the execution of those jump art combos that were discovered in the metagame thread. The buster d-throw -> D-tilt is really easy to use but I've switched from using buster at the start of a match to using speed then buster at the start. I still tend to use buster at the start but only when I feel like it
I use Rosalina as well and she definitely helps cover some harder matchups like Sonic and Diddy, plus she's ridiculously fun to play as and do extreme Luma combos with. Good luck with her :)

Buster dthrow > fsmash works on some characters at 10-20%, and on a select few at 0%. I don't know who it works on off the top of my head, but I'll try to test it later today.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I just go Greninja for the situations where Shulk can't handle the pressure, which is actually not nearly as common as you think.

In fact, I would recommend a particularly agile character to make certain match ups more bearable for those that specialize with using Shulk.

A part of the reason why I picked up Rosalina was because I want to have an easier time against some characters. Particularly Ness but I picked her up mainly because she clicked with me. At first I couldn't really get the hang of her in general before patch 1.04 so I looked for another secondary which I felt took ages. After a while, I just decided to pick her up and I was surprisingly having more fun than before. I started practicing with her then eventually became better at taking care of the luma which is very vital. Basically, if my Shulk isn't feeling it, maybe my Rosa will. That's pretty much it

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Oh are we talking about secondaries now?

Mine are pretty much in my sig. I chose them because they feel similar to Shulk and can possibly lend a new approach on taking on Shulk's harder matchups using a similar playstyle. Although now that I think about it I might need a very fast character in situations where I need someone who can handle faster speed and/or projectiles.

Time to study up on Falcon and Mac.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I seem to be worse with Shulk online then offline.

Then again I'm forced to use that Wii U Pro Controller until I can get a Gamecube adapter eventually, so I feel hindered regardless.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Darn it Smashboards, I AM watching this thread! >:o
Hows it going in Shulk world? I've been too absorbed by Pokemon (And my lack of the Wii U version) to play any Smash. :/

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Darn it Smashboards, I AM watching this thread! >:o
Hows it going in Shulk world? I've been too absorbed by Pokemon (And my lack of the Wii U version) to play any Smash. :/
Welcome back! :)

You're not the only one caught up in Pokemon, I just finished training my team yesterday so I can finally go on battlespot now (it took so long to breed for the right iv's and natures like omg the random number generator never works in my favor :ohwell:)

Nothing too significant has happened with Shulk, although we did find some cool new combos in the Shulk metagame thread if you want to take a look!

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

You're not the only one caught up in Pokemon, I just finished training my team yesterday so I can finally go on battlespot now (it took so long to breed for the right iv's and natures like omg the random number generator never works in my favor :ohwell:)

Nothing too significant has happened with Shulk, although we did find some cool new combos in the Shulk metagame thread if you want to take a look!
Ah, I haven't trained any Pokemon yet in ORAS, I've been working on a living dex. Finished a living Hoenn Regional Dex, and I'll start on National after this Latios shines already! Nearly 900 SRs right now.

And once Christmas finally becomes, I'll have the Smash Wii U! HDDDDDD...

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
So, I hate the delay I get in online mode and I don't really have anyone to play with in flesh. I think I'm going to slowly give up on Smash for good at some point early next year. Makes it feel like a waste of money though :'D

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I'm going to be heading off to college next year, and i'm going to be sharing a dorm with a few of my friends. While I don't have many opportunities for local multiplayer right now, that won't be the case for much longer.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
If Shulk can't feel it, then certainly Mega Man will. :D
If not, then I switch to Ness since he has some insane grabbing

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
If we're talking secondaries, that's Martha (ha, i made a funny) and Bowser. I'm pretty good at spacing, all it really is is just imagining the range of your attacks as an extension of your char. honestly, i'll get alot of Tipped Aerials, Fsmashes(and Usmashes when the opportunity arises) and Shield Breaker's even in 1 v 1's, KOing with Marth is so quick if you can excel at spacing. And Bowser is...Bowser, lol. Not much to say about him that hasn't already been said concerning his buffs, although i will say, pulling Bowser Bomb on the ground randomly takes alot of people off guard, more than i thought. I haven't shield broken too many people, but i can't tell you how many times i was in close proximity to an enemy, spotdodging and trying to grab them, then they started rolling to the right, and i use Bowser Bomb, landing right on top of them when they end their second roll and KO them from that alone. XD It works really well. Also, so many people roll into Bowser's Down Smash like you wouldn't believe. He's the only heavy besides Ike (if he counts, given he's super buff now) and Charizard that i'm good at using, i even used him pretty well back when i played Brawl, lol.

Also, on the topic of Shulk, i fought these 2 really good players on FG earlier with Shulk (he was the only char. that i thought i could match them with). First was a Greninja who's nickname was "DeadlyShoc". He was so fast, i barely had time to breathe at first, and he constantly tried to get me off stage with Greninja's Hydro Pump, it worked only twice out of the 10 matches we did though, since im good at timing dodges and using the Monado Artes (AKA Jump) to my advantage. Since he was so fast, i literally had no choice but to stick solely to Speed and Jump to keep up and pressure him back, one match i tried Buster, and all that happened was i got comboed because i couldn't keep up and my damage skyrocketed because of my lowered defense, and i lost. 8 times out of 10 i won the matches, but only because i was able to either:
A) Get lucky enough to land an offscreen KO with Smash/Jump activated
B) Land a Down Smash/Forward Smash right because they left themselves open

As good as he was, he couldn't deal with not being able to easily kill someone with Hydropump that well apparently. XD Shield helped me survive longer aswell.

Then I fought this incredible Fox who went by the nickname of "Dayi" (Mii's name Jason), and i swear that i probably fought him back in the 3DS version. His Fox was so fast and put the pressure on like you wouldn't believe, out of the 5 matches i did, i only managed to win one, and that's because i decided to use Buster and got lucky enough to land enough hits to rack up his damage to a point where i could kill him semi-easily. And before you say anything, yes, i tried Buster again in the next match, and i still lost (although he was at 80ish%, i was at 130ish% by the end). Even with Speed, he fast fell every jump he did, and pulled off attacks faster than i could counteract. It was crazy. Oh and, i couldn't Offscreen KO him with Smash/Jump because Fox Illusion stopped me from hitting him in time every time i attempted it, i'd eitehr get hit by it or miss Fox.

So yeah, that happened. It just shows me that out of all the chars. i main,t he only ones with any speed to match characters like CF and Sonic in speed, are basically Fox and (Speed/Jump) Shulk. ANd Greninja, i guess. Although i have been wanting to pick Sonic back up again,b ut IDK where to start, lol.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Heh, I just transfered my old team from x&y towards ORAS, far more comfy for me atleast.
I spend a week to breed a semi perfect shiny skarmory, I wouldn't ever let go of it ever again!

Also, nice, I'll look into the shulk metagame thread right now.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Heh, I just transfered my old team from x&y towards ORAS, far more comfy for me atleast.
I spend a week to breed a semi perfect shiny skarmory, I wouldn't ever let go of it ever again!

I never got into the X/Y metagame so I have nothing to transfer over.. breeding is so easy in ORAS though so that doesn't bother me. Congrats on shiny Skarmory btw, I have like no patience to shiny breed so that's pretty awesome :p

Aaaaand..yeah so my team isn't exactly working out as I planned so I'm having to redo it...Greninja and Aegislash are my worst nightmares so I'll need to find something that destroys them.. I'm not feeling it.

Last edited:

Zephil

Smash Ace
I am still looking for a secondary.

For now my top three options are: :4megaman::4sheik::4fox:

Megaman is really fun but Sheik and Fox rushdown are very useful to cover Shulk's bad matchups so I am still undecided.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, I hate the delay I get in online mode and I don't really have anyone to play with in flesh. I think I'm going to slowly give up on Smash for good at some point early next year. Makes it feel like a waste of money though :'D
Have you tried looking for friendlies or tournaments on these forums or Facebook?

Hell, do you talk to anyone personal via Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. that is reasonably close?

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I am still looking for a secondary.

For now my top three options are: :4megaman::4sheik::4fox:

Megaman is really fun but Sheik and Fox rushdown are very useful to cover Shulk's bad matchups so I am still undecided.
Just do what feels right. When you play competitively, or even earn money, choose what is smarter. But to everything else, fun counts the most.
Edit:
I would be screwed if I couldn't transfer from X/Y. -o- I bred a perfect Mega Pinsir in X and I'm proud of it.
Nice. I was sad as Mawile got transfered into uber... so my last team is a little outdated, due the lack of an incredible mega evolution.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

I would be screwed if I couldn't transfer from X/Y. -o- I bred a perfect Mega Pinsir in X and I'm proud of it.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Shulk looks absolutely amazing based on what i've seen from him (After patch), and normally I would think he's a shoe in for top tier, but he's not very high on many unofficial tier lists (and the official japan one). Have people just not played him?

D

Deleted member

First time using the trophy picture studio :

And I think I need to sleep, now. ~

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have not gotten the 3rd gen remake yet. Congrats your skarmory. I hatched a shiny porygon last gen while breeding for IVs (cuz porygon2 is underrated but op). It took me by total surprise. Its IVs are not perfect okay, but I don't care =]. Now I have a shiny of my favorite Pokémon that can be used viably competitively (although I've drifted my most of my interest from pokemon to smash).

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Shulk was already good pre-1.04 patch. Buffs to his damage simply put him in the spotlight and now people are realizing how good Shulk can be. In the hands of a good player, Shulk's potential can be seen. Whereas in other top tier characters, it doesn't take much to be decent at the character (i.e. The high tournament placements of Diddy's simply due to the character's easy combos and followups).

People play him enough, and I think that he's a very good character, but not high tier. What trips opponents up in the matchup is how extreme his sword range really is (especially since the other sword characters' swords got shrunk from Brawl), but once they learn how to space properly and learn the matchup, he isn't hard to beat. Shulk has a large amount of startup lag to his moves and a poor grab range, along with very punishable smashes. Once we figure out more things about the game and learn all the necessary matchups, I don't see Shulk placing in the high tiers. Maybe low-B or high-C tier

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
All my friends are going "Come on, finish Omega Ruby!" and I'm just sitting here playing Smash.
(I've just got Latios for the record.)

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I should post here more often like I used to pre release....

I tend to use DDD if Shulk isn't working out for me simply because DDD was my Brawl and PM main. My old play styles transferred over for the most part. Barring the replacement of waddle dashing with the bouncing gordos. I actually really like them despite how easy it is to reflect.

I know everyone finds countering big attacks satisfying, but i have to say that getting a proper backslash is also pretty satisfying. I tend to only get it with buster back throw if the player doesn't tech or move. How do you guys use it? (If at all)

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I should post here more often like I used to pre release....

I tend to use DDD if Shulk isn't working out for me simply because DDD was my Brawl and PM main. My old play styles transferred over for the most part. Barring the replacement of waddle dashing with the bouncing gordos. I actually really like them despite how easy it is to reflect.

I know everyone finds countering big attacks satisfying, but i have to say that getting a proper backslash is also pretty satisfying. I tend to only get it with buster back throw if the player doesn't tech or move. How do you guys use it? (If at all)
I actually use Back Slash a lot, moreso against humans. If I'm coming down from the air above the opponent, I'll use Back Slash just before I come into attack range to psych them out and (usually) hit them. Sometimes use back jump -> Back Slash because the movement looks weird and hopefully throws them off. I try avoiding it at low% because Back Slash leaves you pretty open. I use it more for mindgames with the small hop rather than damage output. I also use it to self-destruct when I'm trying to cancel an Art and go into Jump. Back Throw -> Back Slash with Buster gets some use, and I'm practicing chaining together Speed at low%s for Nair -> Dtilt -> running grab -> Back Throw -> Back Slash. So satisfying when you get them all.

I sometimes manage to Back Slash from the front and get the back hit because I come down on their head and the very base of the attack hits their back but not their front. Not something I'd ever recommend learning to do, but it's a pleasant surprise whenever it happens.

Everyone's talking secondaries (or at least, was) and Shulk seems to struggle with agile and projectile characters. Any recommendations for someone to cover my bases in that aspect? Falco was my main since before I had Melee (I heard he was in and knew it'd be him; I loved his smug arrogance). I don't really know how he fares against the guys Shulk has issues with, but at least I have someone to fall back on if I'm not really feeling it.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'll definitely try to use that sequence you mentioned. I never pulled off the back slash from the front (not like I try though) but its interesting to hear it can work. If I really want to go anti projectiles I use Palutena. However, I struggle with her due to the lag on her moves. Falco is a good pick since he has the reflector and the blaster. You can also go link or another projectile heavy character. Depends on your play style.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just started Xenoblade Chronicles again after getting a Wii U. I can't do a transfer so I'm starting over again. Usually can't stand going over familiar territory in a game, but I don't think I'll have too much trouble with that here.

I intend to see it through to the end this time.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'll definitely try to use that sequence you mentioned. I never pulled off the back slash from the front (not like I try though) but its interesting to hear it can work. If I really want to go anti projectiles I use Palutena. However, I struggle with her due to the lag on her moves. Falco is a good pick since he has the reflector and the blaster. You can also go link or another projectile heavy character. Depends on your play style.
It's not a foolproof combo, there's certainly a gap between the throw and Back Slash, there might be others.
I've considered having Palutena as a secondary, I really like her as a character but... I just really wish she was better. Either a little quicker on some of those hits, or having a little more damage output. Not a fan of her default moveset (Shulk's counter makes all others seem inadequate and I get near no use from Reflect). Get the feeling I'd be stuck with those. Maybe I'm playing her wrong. I should venture out of the Shulk threads more often.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I wish she was better too, but that's why she's my third character. You need a lot of hard reads to land smashes and get kills. Shulk's counter definitely overshadows the rest of the cast. Reflect is great for projectiles and pushing people off stage, although that's not always easy to pull off.I barely use her counter though unless I know the other person's charging a smash attack. You can use her teleport for mind games. Autoreticle is meh. If custom tournaments become a thing she'll be more viable. I'd love to play around with Shulk's customs but most people I play prefer to have them off. The Palutena thread would definitely help, but I haven't read much there myself.

Robin's another solid choice as a Shulk backup.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just started Xenoblade Chronicles again after getting a Wii U. I can't do a transfer so I'm starting over again. Usually can't stand going over familiar territory in a game, but I don't think I'll have too much trouble with that here.

I intend to see it through to the end this time.
The game is so long that you forget some of the things at the beginning, so it seems pretty fresh the second time through. That's how I felt anyways.

SleeplessInKyoto

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to pull off perfect pivot into jab.....I end up pulling off the pivot but then if I try to jab then I end up doing a dash attack

Like this

> (start) then I do < > (dash attack)

Instead of

> (start) then <> (jab)

Anyone got any tips? T_T

Top Bottom