• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I hate like 80% of the cast not because they give me particular trouble but because most characters are annoying to deal with in some form or another :'D. Also I come from being a Zelda main in Brawl, so getting camped instantly puts me in a bad mood and makes me scream profanities at the universe.

In this iteration of Smash, though, the ones that annoy me the most are:

Sonic. Sonic forever. God, I hated Sonic even before he was in Smash, but now he's just an absolute annoyance to deal with. He's the lamest character to ever set foot on the land of fictional toons.
Olimar: I know people don't pay him much mind now, but I'm 100% sure he's still almost as strong as he was in Brawl. I never wanna fight an Olimar in my life.
Rosalina: As much as I love the character, I hate her in Smash, haha. Haven't got much experience with the match up yet, so whenever I encounter one I have a lot of trouble getting around her. Specially with Shulk.
Diddy Kong because I hate monkeys (?).
The ****ing furries, aka Fox and Falco. I hate foxes and birds too (???).
I hate ROB's weird hitboxes, but my hatred mostly comes from playing as Zelda against him and having no ground options in Brawl, which I'm pretty sure is even worse this time around.
Pit is one of the most annoying characters I've seen, and Dark Pit was like a kick in the nuts for me.
Captain Falcon and Link overpopulate FG, and they're mostly all carbon copies of each other. They wouldn't be a real problem if it wasn't for ****ty online play.

The list goes on and on...

Yeah I don't know why I even play the game either :'D

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Well, full trophy list for Smash 4 finally revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ3CQcPuu1U

Xenoblade trophies start at 1:49:00 or so. The spoilerish ones start at 1:51:30.
Well, we got XOrd in this, Face NEmesis was spoiled with Mecha-Fiora, along with the Macina being mentioned Egil bonding with the MEChonis (i didnt even get to that part yet damn it), The Gadolt face nemesis was spoiled and that's about it. :\

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Shulk's CPU AI can go die.

mfw he counters a homerun bat smash attack

Any AI with a counter is broken

Countering 99% of my attacks. fml when they counter buster f-smash
Ugh, Counter characters are just frustrating to fight. I swear every two matches there's a point where they counter 4/5 consecutive attacks... I've not fought too many CPU Shulks but I find they try to change arts off-stage and then desperately flick through a rainbow of arts because they can't Air Slash back.
[I also really wanna track down Kyle Hyde one of these days. I like the style.]

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It depends on the AI imo, Shulk and Palutena are the biggest offenders when it comes to countering attacks. Marth and Lucina after that, and Ike/Greninja/Lucario pretty much never use Counter.

Shulk's AI is absolutely atrocious, their Monado usage is lol

Under 100% enemy on low damage > Buster
Under 100% enemy on high damage > Smash
Under 100% and Monado Art Buster/Smash on cooldown > Jump/Speed
Over 100% > Shield
Over 100% enemy on low damage and Monado Art Shield on cooldown > Buster
Over 100% enemy on high damage and Monado Art Shield on cooldown > Smash

Is generally how the CPUs use the monado arts, which also happens to be horribly ineffective and easily exploitable.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
It depends on the AI imo, Shulk and Palutena are the biggest offenders when it comes to countering attacks. Marth and Lucina after that, and Ike/Greninja/Lucario pretty much never use Counter.

Shulk's AI is absolutely atrocious, their Monado usage is lol

Under 100% enemy on low damage > Buster
Under 100% enemy on high damage > Smash
Under 100% and Monado Art Buster/Smash on cooldown > Jump/Speed
Over 100% > Shield
Over 100% enemy on low damage and Monado Art Shield on cooldown > Buster
Over 100% enemy on high damage and Monado Art Shield on cooldown > Smash

Is generally how the CPUs use the monado arts, which also happens to be horribly ineffective and easily exploitable.
I've found Marth and Lucina to be be the worst offenders, Ike/Gre/Luc less so and Shulk/Palu least. Guess it might be down to personal experience. Shulk and Palutena do tend to hit hardest when they do though.
I completely agree about the AI's Art usage though. I suppose they have to code some kind of behaviour into it though.

Speaking of counters, does anyone know if we have information on the activation window and its reduction/restoration on Shulk's Visions? I never spam it, but I'm curious as to how spammy I can afford to be.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Well, full trophy list for Smash 4 finally revealed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ3CQcPuu1U

Xenoblade trophies start at 1:49:00 or so. The spoilerish ones start at 1:51:30.
Well, we got XOrd in this, Face NEmesis was spoiled with Mecha-Fiora, along with the Macina being mentioned Egil bonding with the MEChonis (i didnt even get to that part yet damn it), The Gadolt face nemesis was spoiled and that's about it. :\
I'm still a bit annoyed we didn't get an Alvis trophy. :/

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Uggh I have such a love / hate relationship with this character.

Except instead of love / hate it's really more like love / really really want to like.

I'm seriously considering investing time and effort into Shulk. Every time I play him for fun, I end up having a blast, but I'm concerned that he'll be too technically complex to master without getting in the way of my training with other characers.

What do you guys think? Take the plunge and go for it or let him down gently and say that we should just be friends?

What do you guys think? Take the plunge and go for it or let him down gently and say that we should just be friends?
It depends if you're up for it

If you really do like Shulk's playstyle then I guess you should invest with it? Idk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I say take some time with Shulk and see if you like his gameplay style. Play as him against your friends in competitive battles or see how you preform as him in For Glory to see if he is the right character for you.
Whenever I want to main a character, I often do this just to see if the character is truly right for me.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm having more lag than usual in For Glory. At first I thought it was opponents but then I found it was me. I reset the router but I still get it.

It's about 1/4 of a second, so 15 frame lag. Man, I need to do something about this. It's killing me (in the game).

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I should start playing Xenoblade again.

My Wii file is NG+ and I'm trying to 100% (as close as possible) the quests, and I never got to attempt the superbosses. Currently at Alcamoth cleaning up some timed quests early, before I go to Prison Island. I really do want to take a shot at the superbosses though. For someone with so much love for the game I'm ashamed that I haven't done that yet.
My Wii U file is probably at, roughly, the Mechon attack at the start, haha. I almost don't want to progress because I like running around as [character].

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, I took the advice and tried him out in For Glory.

Decidedly mixed results. I won ultimately, though that was due to a lucky mistake on my part, but I at least had fun with it. I neeed to get to grips with the Monado Arts and the timing of the smashes. Great fun, though, I'll play around with him a bit more and see if he's right for me~

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I should start playing Xenoblade again.

My Wii file is NG+ and I'm trying to 100% (as close as possible) the quests, and I never got to attempt the superbosses. Currently at Alcamoth cleaning up some timed quests early, before I go to Prison Island. I really do want to take a shot at the superbosses though. For someone with so much love for the game I'm ashamed that I haven't done that yet.
My Wii U file is probably at, roughly, the Mechon attack at the start, haha. I almost don't want to progress because I like running around as [character].
One of these days I'll have to 100% Xenoblade.
I just don't have the time to do all the sidequests and rebuild colony 6.:ohwell:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

Oh Meyneth, the spoilers!
Not only do they spoil that Faced Mechon are piloted by Homs, they give all of Fiora's role in the story, reveal several Faced Mechon identities, but they also just throw around every characters' names! I'm suprised we didn't get a Titan form D!ckson.
The most interesting fact I got out of the trophies was that Yaldaboth was named after a false god, making Egil symbolic.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Not only do they spoil that Faced Mechon are piloted by Homs, they give all of Fiora's role in the story, reveal several Faced Mechon identities, but they also just throw around every characters' names! I'm suprised we didn't get a Titan form D!ckson.
The most interesting fact I got out of the trophies was that Yaldaboth was named after a false god, making Egil symbolic.
Yaldabaoth is a name from Gnosticism. It's another word for the Demiurge, who is essentially Zanza.

If I may, I wrote an article about Gnostic symbolism in Xenoblade... Shameless self promotion, go!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Yaldabaoth is a name from Gnosticism. It's another word for the Demiurge, who is essentially Zanza.

If I may, I wrote an article about Gnostic symbolism in Xenoblade... Shameless self promotion, go!
Ill read this when i finish Xenoblade...or rather when Chugga finishes Xenoblade...Probably in like a few months or so anyway...It's gonna be awhile.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Seems you're in somewhat of a heated discussion with a (follower? Is that how tumblr works?) =P

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Seems you're in somewhat of a heated discussion with a (follower? Is that how tumblr works?) =P
Yeah that's Eve he's a regular and kinda stubborn sometimes, as you can tell.

To be fair, I'm honestly being kinda stubborn myself. :/

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

That's some very interesting mythology, I had no idea Xenoblade even borrowed words from Gnosticism (to be honest, I had no clue what Gnosticism was before I read this.) I hope we get more references / lore like this in XCX, it'll be something to look out for now that I've read your article :)

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
That's some very interesting mythology, I had no idea Xenoblade even borrowed words from Gnosticism (to be honest, I had no clue what Gnosticism was before I read this.) I hope we get more references / lore like this in XCX, it'll be something to look out for now that I've read your article :)
The previous Xeno games all included some Gnostic references, along with Nietzsche, so it's likely we'll see at least one or the other crop up in Xenoblade X too. Monolith loves that stuff.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Actually a really good read - I knew there was a lot of religious symbolism towards the end, but not to that point.

Something else I learned a while back was also on the word "monad". Along with being some kind of divinity, it is also a programming term. It's a kind of structure which assembles computations and chains them together in certain ways. From Wikipedia, originally from a book on Haskell, a monad "represents computations defined as sequences of steps: a type with a monad structure defines what it means to chain operations, or nest functions of that type together. This allows the programmer to build pipelines that process data in steps, in which each action is decorated with additional processing rules provided by the monad." It sounds like its name may be derived from the other monad, because it oversees and defines so much of the way the codes functions happen.

Regardless, I think the fact that monad is both a religious figure/concept and a programming term makes choosing the name "Monado" to be incredibly clever and very relevant to all the endgame revelations.

I can't watch the video at the moment, and I've attained the trophies for the main party and Chain Attack, but if that's the case, then... that's atrocious. Seriously :/ so much of what I love about Xenoblade is in the plot twists. Even though most of the time you were getting hints of what was coming, going into the game KNOWING all this takes the edge off it.
63444_384506331707863_6332337793927540308_n.jpg

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Actually a really good read - I knew there was a lot of religious symbolism towards the end, but not to that point.

Something else I learned a while back was also on the word "monad". Along with being some kind of divinity, it is also a programming term. It's a kind of structure which assembles computations and chains them together in certain ways. From Wikipedia, originally from a book on Haskell, a monad "represents computations defined as sequences of steps: a type with a monad structure defines what it means to chain operations, or nest functions of that type together. This allows the programmer to build pipelines that process data in steps, in which each action is decorated with additional processing rules provided by the monad." It sounds like its name may be derived from the other monad, because it oversees and defines so much of the way the codes functions happen.

Regardless, I think the fact that monad is both a religious figure/concept and a programming term makes choosing the name "Monado" to be incredibly clever and very relevant to all the endgame revelations.

I can't watch the video at the moment, and I've attained the trophies for the main party and Chain Attack, but if that's the case, then... that's atrocious. Seriously :/ so much of what I love about Xenoblade is in the plot twists. Even though most of the time you were getting hints of what was coming, going into the game KNOWING all this takes the edge off it.
View attachment 32535
Glad you enjoyed my article!

Yeah... I could forgive spoiling the main thing about Seven, since it happens relatively early and it's so plot important, but there was no reason they needed to spoil everything about Seven and all the Faced Mechon. *Sighs* I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky they didn't spoil the last few cutscenes, which to me are definitely the most shocking parts, but still.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have some photos

^Kind of fun to play on. What I think makes it cool is you can choose to fight on the Bionis Leg and other Xenoblade areas.

^Some platforms are offscreen on the bottom which you can stand on - like the stuff that is under Alcamoth in Xenoblade. At the ends of the platforms are some springs - kind of like the teleporters. In the middle between these offscreen platforms is another spring that sends you into one of those cannons (If walking left on the right platform you go into the left cannon). This way you can get to either island from either offscreen platform.

That Mumkhar mii reminds me... I still haven't gotten the red headband custom for my
mii! I've been trying ever since Smash 3ds came out..

Last edited:

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
I made this Miiverse post today. People who have watched a certain Sonic anime OVA will get the quote:

it makes sense since they can both see into the future :p

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I made this Miiverse post today. People who have watched a certain Sonic anime OVA will get the quote:

it makes sense since they can both see into the future :p
I guess Shulk dittos should really last forever, since usually visions are of bad things that can happen to him or people he knows or will know. He doesn't seem to get visions that help him land hits mid-battle, just ones that help him dodge or use the Monado's abilities to save people.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
He's OP as hell now, he can use the Smash art and KO almost anyone in a uncharged forward smash when they're at 80%, good god he was already good when he didn't get anything.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, just because he can doesn't mean he will. It still requires a degree of skill and effort to pull it off.

If he's too strong, then the impetus is on you as the opponent to adapt and confront it. Combat is an ever-changing landscape, go with the flow and just do better.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
He's OP as hell now, he can use the Smash art and KO almost anyone in a uncharged forward smash when they're at 80%, good god he was already good when he didn't get anything.
That made me laugh. You do realize how punishable his smash attacks are, right?
If you want OP go to the Rosalina or Diddy threads.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
by this logic zelda and ganondork are both overpowered because they hit me with a smash attack and i died at 30%

Sakurai wtf are you doing, you should nerf Ganon his warlock punch and up tilt is broken.

by this logic zelda and ganondork are both overpowered because they hit me with a smash attack and i died at 30%.
Zelda's smash attacks don't connect though lol

Jokes aside, Shulk is far from OP

Edit: If anyone's getting wrong ideas, I still primarily main Shulk. Rosalina's just my secondary

Last edited:

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
That made me laugh. You do realize how punishable his smash attacks are, right?
If you want OP go to the Rosalina or Diddy threads.
You cant dodge 50% of the time if you used all of your jumps and your landing at the edge of the stage , and if you move back, you can miss the ledge, sure his moves have bad lag and a giant delay, but he's as fast as Sonic, jumps higher than Falco, as heavy as Ganondorf, has high knockback almost to Bowser, and more damage than a Captain Falcon.

Not to mention the Shulk professionals. who start off with speed then spam Nair and Fair, its hard to get out of when your locked in, like Villagers Fair and Bair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom