• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ugh, sometimes when I intend to do Vision or Air slash, shulk backslashes, which in some cases costs me the match.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
You cant dodge 50% of the time if you used all of your jumps and your landing at the edge of the stage , and if you move back, you can miss the ledge, sure his moves have bad lag and a giant delay, but he's as fast as Sonic, jumps higher than Falco, as heavy as Ganondorf, has high knockback almost to Bowser, and more damage than a Captain Falcon.

Not to mention the Shulk professionals. who start off with speed then spam Nair and Fair, its hard to get out of when your locked in, like Villagers Fair and Bair.
Yeah, but a good player with alot of characters, can easily evade and manuever around Shulk's speed and grabs. I did this to my friends Shulk with Marth, and he watched the Shulk Guide that Distant Kingdom made, all i had to do was jump and evade him, block his Nair's/Fair's and roll to avoid the grabs. It's easy to take advantages of Shulk's weaknesses when you know them honestly, a Shulk main knows that better than anyone.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
No Shulk's not op
Ugh, sometimes when I intend to do Vision or Air slash, shulk backslashes, which in some cases costs me the match.
Yep. This happens to me more when I'm online. A lag freeze causes the original air slash to miss, and my muscle memory has me nautrally move my joystick to the side for some horizontal movement before I go for the second air slash hit. Since the first up B didn't activate, when I press B when the joystick is tilted, I'll back slash to my death.

I also find I do it more on the 3ds version of the game because of the circle pad not being as easy for me to use.

Last edited:

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
No Shulk's not op

Yep. This happens to me more when I'm online. A lag freeze causes the original air slash to miss, and my muscle memory has me nautrally move my joystick to the side for some horizontal movement before I go for the second air slash hit. Since the first up B didn't activate, when I press B when the joystick is tilted, I'll back slash to my death.

I also find I do it more on the 3ds version of the game because of the circle pad not being as easy for me to use.
Off topic but your signature is amazing.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
You cant dodge 50% of the time if you used all of your jumps and your landing at the edge of the stage , and if you move back, you can miss the ledge, sure his moves have bad lag and a giant delay, but he's as fast as Sonic, jumps higher than Falco, as heavy as Ganondorf, has high knockback almost to Bowser, and more damage than a Captain Falcon.

Not to mention the Shulk professionals. who start off with speed then spam Nair and Fair, its hard to get out of when your locked in, like Villagers Fair and Bair.
I think the thing is that Shulk may be all of those, but (a) he's never all of those at once and (b) all of them have drawbacks. I think as long as people have an understanding of what Art does what, all of them can be taken advantage of in some way. About half of the time I try to use Buster I end up worse than when I started. Without any Arts active, the only thing he really excels at is his range. He's not agile and his damage output is ~average.

Naturally, people on a Shulk thread are all going to jump to his defence :laugh: he's got the potential to be amazing with the versatility his Arts offer, but I think, being Shulk players, we know his weak points all too well.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I still don't get why the arts even have drawbacks.

they should just remove the drawback (minus the knockback/damage on buster and smash respectively)

If speed had a damage multiplier of x1.0, I think buster would be completely overshadowed and speed would be considered overpowered, but a part of me doesn't really think so since vanilla attacks are mediocre in general, sans f-tilt. In fact, some players have already decided to just go full-on speed throughout the match because of how rewarding it is.

As for jump, it's only the damage taken increase that makes me scratch my head. Sakurai probably wanted to enforce the idea that we can recover but we're knocked back even more easily so we're so to be careful. I can understand that. I get that, but why do I take more damage in jump? It seems so off and it artificially adds to the knockback taken

Shield.... I feel like a ping pong ball in shield. They really need to fix shield's design. You're basically postponing the inevitable with that art while dealing low damage AND while having low mobility. If Shield was all about survivability, why harm the aerial mobility which also affects Shulk's recovery options. Why even debuff Shield Shulk's mobility? Honestly, I'm fine with the damage debuff. If we look back into MMO games, tanks don't have high DPS but their other stats are fine: Defense and HP being very high, mobility being average.

If the arts didn't have any drawbacks though, I feel like Shulk would probably become a brain dead character to use, but that's just my opinion. The fun behind using Shulk is that you have to think of which art to use, how you can take advantage of the buffs and how do you avoid getting your drawbacks exploited often. Yeah, there are some minor design gripes here and there, but I'm fine with the Arts having drawbacks

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
If speed had a damage multiplier of x1.0, I think buster would be completely overshadowed and speed would be considered overpowered, but a part of me doesn't really think so since vanilla attacks are mediocre in general, sans f-tilt. In fact, some players have already decided to just go full-on speed throughout the match because of how rewarding it is.

As for jump, it's only the damage taken increase that makes me scratch my head. Sakurai probably wanted to enforce the idea that we can recover but we're knocked back even more easily so we're so to be careful. I can understand that. I get that, but why do I take more damage in jump? It seems so off and it artificially adds to the knockback taken

Shield.... I feel like a ping pong ball in shield. They really need to fix shield's design. You're basically postponing the inevitable with that art while dealing low damage AND while having low mobility. If Shield was all about survivability, why harm the aerial mobility which also affects Shulk's recovery options. Why even debuff Shield Shulk's mobility? Honestly, I'm fine with the damage debuff. If we look back into MMO games, tanks don't have high DPS but their other stats are fine: Defense and HP being very high, mobility being average.

If the arts didn't have any drawbacks though, I feel like Shulk would probably become a brain dead character to use, but that's just my opinion. The fun behind using Shulk is that you have to think of which art to use, how you can take advantage of the buffs and how do you avoid getting your drawbacks exploited often. Yeah, there are some minor design gripes here and there, but I'm fine with the Arts having drawbacks
This. Again, he'd just feel brain dead and a little OP if he didn't have drawbacks period. Personally, i'd prefer the damage output debuff for Jump instead of increased damage taken, but that's just me, since i only ever use Jump for (A) Evasion (B) Recovery (C) Off screen/early KOs. With Shield, i get the mobility drawback, since, aside from Bowser, the heavyweights in this game (who take longer to KO usually) don't have the best speed of the roster, so going by Smash logic it makes sense. Besides, is it really that hard to press B 3 times when you get launched off stage with Shield and switch to Jump? I do it in every battle i use Shield in, which isn't often, but when i do, it helps. Only thing is you gotta switch to Jump from Shield when you're in the falling animation because otherwise, if you tryt o jump while JUmp activates and you don't airdodge, Shulk will do the Jump stance when it activates, which completely stops his momentum, and can screw you over from recovering back on stage. It's happened to me a few times, but i've mastered not letting that happen.

Also, i recently discovered how OP Speed is in Sudden Death. Just switch to it (and avoid getting grabbed/hit while selecting it) and grab, pivot grab, or just use an aerial (although that's riskier) and since you're so fast, it's hard for the enemy to evade you and live. Any grab (i think, IDK about down throw) will kill in this situation, meaning that Speed's very effective in KOing the opponent before they KO you. I won pretty much every Sudden Death i've been in Smash For Glory with Shulk thanks to this. XD

It's not hard to go from shield to jump at all. It's just that you can't do much while you're in shield art

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think having only like, 5 useful moves is the definition of braindead /cryingfacething

Also the trophy writers in smash are so saavy, this Wario one refers to spamming.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
aiight you got me there

ness too

QUICK DOWN THROW TO FAIR TO FAIR TO FAIR WHEEEEEEEEEeeeeee

But really I think Shulk's pretty easy to play, but only because his options are limited. 3 of his aerials are incredibly hard to land, same with d/usmash and utilt.

backslash is useless too

thats just my opinion tho

aiight you got me there

ness too

QUICK DOWN THROW TO FAIR TO FAIR TO FAIR WHEEEEEEEEEeeeeee

But really I think Shulk's pretty easy to play, but only because his options are limited. 3 of his aerials are incredibly hard to land, same with d/usmash and utilt.

backslash is useless too

thats just my opinion tho
Backslash is the 3rd most useless move in the game. Okay 6th worst

D-smash and u-smash are easy to land. His u-tilt is situational, only useful when you follow it up from sliding n-air or just for anti-air stuff. B-air's also pretty easy to land

The problem with Shulk aren't his options (His options are fine in general). It's when you get up to his face. He can't do much about it other than pray that jab hits. Also, his recovery sucks unless jump art is used. That's pretty much it. Sounds like nothing much but when you take into account that buster and jump make you receive more damage, it means a lot

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Dsmash is easy to land but it's incredibly slow, I would estimate about 19 frames or so. Usmash is also really slow and half the time people pop out of the second hit.

But yeah, he's binary in that nair and fair and jab outclass pretty much every other option he has imo

Dsmash is easy to land but it's incredibly slow, I would estimate about 19 frames or so. Usmash is also really slow and half the time people pop out of the second hit.

But yeah, he's binary in that nair and fair and jab outclass pretty much every other option he has imo
D-smash's start up is sluggish. The active frames are nice though but I noticed that the start up is slow compared to let's say f-smash or even u-smash

His tilts are great also. U-tilt is pretty situational but it serves its purpose very well. F-tilt is basically a shorter ranged d-tilt except with more power so I treat it like a pseudo f-smash because it kills and deals high damage (Pivot f-tilts are godlike). I didn't expect d-tilt to have so much range but apparently it does (Even longer than f-tilt). It's great for anything really. I can understand that n-air and f-air along outclass his options but they still got some landing lag (N-air barely has any. 12 frames), and shield grabbing n-air has started to become a thing

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Having good tilt attacks is less of an impressive feat seeing as literally no one has bad tilt attacks in this game.

Find me a bad dtilt in Smash 4, I'll wait. :denzel:

Anyway, someone go beat my Shulk All star score.

It's like, just over 4 million.

Having good tilt attacks is less of an impressive feat seeing as literally no one has bad tilt attacks in this game.

Ganondorf's u-tilt :yeahboi:

Point taken though. Lotta good tilts in this game

WAIT WHOOPS. WRONG DIRECTION

Actually, I can't think of any

No

Last edited:

Zephil

Smash Ace

Maybe Jigglypuff's?
Also WFT's kinda sucks too
Fox's dtilt is not very useful either

... at least we all agree that Ganon's utilt should be killed with fire.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Jigglypuff doesn't have a grounded moveset.

WFT and Fox are fine, WFT's has more range than her entire moveset and Fox's sends people up for juggles.

I don't mind Ganondorf utilt, using it for edgeguarding is lol

Flame choke into WP sometimes hits if they do a getup attack, thanks to the super armour.
But BS (from the back) does feel more satisfying to land.
Warlock punch is the biggest sucker punch to any competitive player ever

That alone makes it more satisfying to land. Haha

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Yesterday was my shopping day, and I tried to find some interesting Wii and Wii U games to expand my Wii U library for when I'll get it for Christmas. I secretly hoped to find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, and you know what? I found it! (Otherwise I wouldn't post in this thread lol) When I saw it for sale my reaction in my head was something like "Oh my... God... they have it!!" :rotfl: It's a used copy (obviously), I only paid €26 (roughly $32.5), though the actual price was €39 (roughly $48.50), I got this discount thanks to a friend's loyalty card. This same friend owns a Wii, so I tried it at his home. At first I thought the battle system was a chaotic mess and I feared to not enjoy it, but then I tried to be more comprehensive about it and now I really see the fun of the game! I didn't go far, it was just to see how feels (no I'll not do this joke) the game before I can play it again at home, I stopped when Shulk got the Monado, but this weapon is... absolutely OP against Mekons and I'm somewhat worried about it making the game too easy :urg: can someone reassure me about my fears? Possibly without spoilers of course.

I can't wait for Christmas to play this game as well as a few others, including Smash U of course!

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Don't worry,the Mechon aren't a really common enemy to face in ordinary fights.
And it's regular powered against normal guys.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Yesterday was my shopping day, and I tried to find some interesting Wii and Wii U games to expand my Wii U library when I'll get it for Christmas. I secretly hoped to find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, and you know what? I found it! (Otherwise I wouldn't post in this thread lol) When I saw it for sale my reaction in my head was something like "Oh my... God... they have it!!" :rotfl: It's a used copy (obviously), I only paid €26 (roughly $32.5), though the actual price was €39 (roughly $48.50), I got this discount thanks to a friend's loyalty card. This same friend owns a Wii, so I tried it at his home. At first I thought the battle system was a chaotic mess and I feared to not enjoy it, but then I tried to be more comprehensive about it and now I really see the fun of the game! I didn't go far, it was just to see how feels (no I'll not do this joke) the game before I can play it again at home, I stopped when Shulk got the Monado, but this weapon is... absolutely OP against Mekons and I'm somewhat worried about it making the game too easy :urg: can someone reassure me about my fears? Possibly without spoilers of course.

I can't wait for Christmas to play this game as well as a few others, including Smash U of course!
The game can be tough, so no need to worry. It's a lot of fun, and a fantastic story too.

Top Bottom