• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

i was playing against the puff today. i made sure to take the match actually seriously this time. i played much slower and more defensive. i didnt get gimped as much if at all. i brought it to last stock until his mix up game became unfathomable. he tends to get like that. i get worried when i use jump art because of my added knockback. also when i use buster since apparently that gives you added damage as well? juggles are real i'll definitely say that.
Avoid jump. Buster is fine against Puff but the safer option is speed. Sure, you get a damage decrease but seriously. This is Jigglypuff we're talking about (The lightest in the game). If you haven't gotten around using buster safely, speed is probably the better and possibly superior way.
something i must learn that i couldnt figure out myself yet. how do you go about killing with this character? smashes seem bad to me. f tilt seems strong but hard to land imo. bair is slow. edgeguarding has been my main source of kills pretty much
That's where it gets tricky and let me tell you this. This might be when you'll have to use jump and gimp. Jump is great for gimping but against Puff, it might get a little tricky

Usually against puffs, it's either I gimp or I counter her b-air which when countered, KO's at stupidly low percents (65% iirc)

Last edited:
Intentional double post. Honest question

What do you guys think about Shulk so far? You think there are some design flaws? You think he'll be solid? You think he'll be fine against most of the cast? You think he can actually be total crap in this game (No)? You think we'll find a loltech with him anytime soon (Because I've been trying lol)?

Lastly, are you feeling it with him and you think you can actually make smash art or buster art as awesome as jump or speed?

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

What do you guys think about Shulk so far? You think there are some design flaws? You think he'll be solid? You think he'll be fine against most of the cast? You think he can actually be total crap in this game (No)? You think we'll find a loltech with him anytime soon (Because I've been trying lol)?

Lastly, are you feeling it with him and you think you can actually make smash art or buster art as awesome as jump or speed?
Shulk doesn't really have any serious problems imo since he can change his stats to whatever situation you need. With Buster at low percents you can do dthrow > ftilt/smash, uthrow utilt chain, nair >fastfall > jab1 dtilt, bthrow > back slash (only if your opponent doesn't expect it), etc. Since Smash makes you fly farther you can use it to get out of combos or send them far enough for a Jump gimp.

Oh and i'm not just feeling it, I'M REALLY FEELING IT :4shulk: So happy he's in Smash alongwithmaybeanothercharacterasdlc

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Against most characters, Shulk's my best option. There are some who I may have to go to Mario (demo made me good at him) or Marth. I go to Mario for heavy projectile users (dat cape) and Marth for somebody with fast attacks like Captain Falcon. My issue with Shulk against a good captain falcon is that his attacks strike faster than I can get my attacks out, and his speed makes it easy to get in my space.

Umm, I have no clue how Shulk will stand with time. Atm he's good, at least.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
im finding jump not that useful unless im edgeguarding. then its far superior to the other arts. ive been using shield and buster when im at high%. and smash art only if i have a big lead it seems. he seems like he should be bad to me still. but i only took matches seriously with him for one day and i was actually surprised. so he could have potential.

something really good that ive been doing is using speed art and u tilt. your walk allows you to now keep up with pretty much any characters air mobility for more u tilts.

although i think he should be bad i think he is not total crap. he has potential to win of course. any tips for the DHD mu would be greatly appreciated!!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

I think Shulk will be good, but not top 10 material. There are so many good zoners this time around, that I think Shulk has a disadvantage from the get-go.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I think Shulk's gonna have a huge problem against anyone with good mobility. Almost all his moves have enough lag that even with their huge range you'll get punish for whiffing, and a good amount of them also have start up too, so it's difficult to react to their approaches. Not having a decent auto-snap on his recovery is gonna hurt him too. It'll make it very easy to read his recovery if he decides to go low and it seems pretty easy to trade with Air Slash with any type of meaty hitbox despite the huge range.

I do think he'll do better on the Wii U/N3DS since the c-stick will let him better space his aerials as well as let him pivot f-smash easier. Also most likely more customizable buttons, so one could have a button exclusively for switch through Monado Arts which could help too.

Also, does anyone have a hard time vs Villager? He honestly feels like a hard counter right now after playing my friend who mains him. He'll destroy you off stage with slingshot if you try to go high, and has three different and devastating way of dealing with air slash as a recovery option (Turnips, Tree and Bowling Ball), and on stage he seems to have enough spacing options and projectile to make very difficult for Shulk to get in or punish anything. It's also really hard to edgeguard him since his recovery is dumb (Shulks moves have way to much range and aren't fast enough to even consider trying to gimp by popping his balloons.) and if you happen to mess up the edgeguard, now villager is back on stage ready to smack you around as you try to recover. And even if you do land a hit off stage, unless it was a dair spike or bair, Villager's probably still living.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I kind of expect Shulk to fall somewhere in the middle. Just kind of the feeling I get when I look at his situation.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I haven't been playing quite as much Smash the past couple of days because I'm getting prepped for NaNoWriMo. But if it's any consolation, I've added a couple of Xenoblade tracks to my writing playlist :p (I know this isn't related to the topic at hand, but I haven't actually chimed in in a while and wanted to make it clear that I am indeed still alive xD)

D

Deleted member

What do you guys think about Shulk so far? You think there are some design flaws? You think he'll be solid? You think he'll be fine against most of the cast? You think he can actually be total crap in this game (No)?
Shulk is still my favorite newcomer. It's not just on the basis of Shulk actually being in Smash, but I do enjoy his playstyle with his amazing range and Monado Arts. Out of all the newcomers, I have the best time with him. Despite this, I am not the best at him and I am taking my time getting to know how to use him.

I haven't encountered too many things that ticked me off about Shulk. I just hate how Back Slash can't grab ledges; I know that it makes sense that he can't, but it would have saved me from those times that I accidentally Back Slashed instead of Air Slashed. I'm also not a fan of how slow activating Vision is. As for outright design flaws that will hurt him in the long-run, I can't think of or encountered any.

I think he'll be a solid character. It just matters if you correctly use his range and Monado Arts; mastering both is key for Shulk. So, I do think that he'll preform rather well against most of the cast; I think characters that outrange him (with speed or projectiles) will give Shulk trouble.

I doubt Shulk will be crap. He'll be mid-tier at least. I would be surprised if he was on-par with Brawl Ganondorf.

Life

Smash Hero
I think Shulk might be significantly better in doubles, as he gives your ally whatever they need right now. Partner has no kill power? Smash. Need to stock tank? Shield. Jump is great for getting out from between two enemies, too.

Also Shulk-Kirby team. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I love using Shulk, and he's definitely one of my mains, but honestly i think he'll lose out to chars. with mobility. I'm mostly good with him by using short hop forward airs/n-airs and specials honestly, because they're executed faster. When i'm close in range to someone, the only real option i'll either do is his A Standard combo or try to grab, his other options can be shielded/dodged really easy. Or just counter, but usually i don't try that right off the bat, i go for when its easier for me to predict when my opponent will try to hit me. Compare that to someone like Pit though, with him i'm fast enough that i could easily get off a side/down tilt or down smash easier, aswell as either grab or just use Guardian Orbitars to block an attack. :\ Still, i definitely like his playstyle, he might not be one of the tops, but he might end up having a good Meta game later on, especially thanks to Monado arts.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Are there any Shulk's here whose in game name is Maximus? As I was browsing through this thread I literally just had a great match against them and was hoping perhaps they were here?

Ironically, the characters with mobility are the easier ones to deal with imo. Any fast paced character is someone that's really easy to deal with using Shulk imo. Projectile campers are ******* though. And Diddy

Dammit double post
Also, does anyone have a hard time vs Villager? He honestly feels like a hard counter right now after playing my friend who mains him. He'll destroy you off stage with slingshot if you try to go high, and has three different and devastating way of dealing with air slash as a recovery option (Turnips, Tree and Bowling Ball), and on stage he seems to have enough spacing options and projectile to make very difficult for Shulk to get in or punish anything. It's also really hard to edgeguard him since his recovery is dumb (Shulks moves have way to much range and aren't fast enough to even consider trying to gimp by popping his balloons.) and if you happen to mess up the edgeguard, now villager is back on stage ready to smack you around as you try to recover. And even if you do land a hit off stage, unless it was a dair spike or bair, Villager's probably still living.
For recovering, Enduring back slash is pretty good for recovering but you better land the hit and the Villager better be at around 50%+. The hitsun of front landed EBS sucks. Also, I'd use dash vision because countering his sling shots would help me recover back anyway easily

Although his recovery is good (The villager, I mean), think of it like Snake's recovery. It travels high, yes but it's vulnerable to being hit off. I'd use smash + b-air or even f-air to take care of things. Lloid, although it's a great spacing tool, it isn't a great projectile itself. With dash vision (yet again), countering it is genius. You're gonna hit the villager. Lol.

Other than dealing with edgeguarding him and recovering back on stage, basic strats. Just do Shulk stuff.

Notice how I've put 2 custom specials in my input. Yeah, they're good or at least it makes going against zoners bearable. Using his default moveset against Villager, I felt the same way

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I share the hate for diddy, but I have no particular problems with fast characters like meta, little mac ect.
Our range and a good sense of timing is pretty helpful.

Also, naked shulk obviously distracts all enemies.

Oh and important note, 2nd slash of advancing air slash guarantees auto snap. Also might air slash's 2nd hit auto snaps

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Ironically, the characters with mobility are the easier ones to deal with imo. Any fast paced character is someone that's really easy to deal with using Shulk imo. Projectile campers are *****es though. And Diddy
Speaking of this... Just now there was this competitive level captain falcond. I two stocked him ^_^!! At first I was getting combo'd like crazy but then I realized I should really try to jump up out of the air combos rather than fall left or right while air dodging. I think Monado Jump helped with that. Furthermore, Monado Jump gave me the mobility I needed. After my victory, he switched to ZSS. At first we were pretty even, but that changed quickly when I meteor smash KO'd him.

My current opinion on the arts is:
Jump: Probably my favorite.
Speed: I see the potential in this, but I really need to work on my grab game if I want success here. I still don't understand how pivot grabs are supposed to increase your range.
Shield: I find it is really only useful if both you and the opponent have high hp, since I don't think it lowers you dealt knockback
Buster: Buster is pretty good. I find it is best if I use it mostly defensively. You don't want the momentum to switch in the opponent's favor while using Buster, because then all it will have been good for is giving yourself more damage.
Smash: I don't really use this anymore in 1 on 1's. It sort of forces you to be aggressive because if you're using weak attacks and being defensive, you would be better off as plain Shulk. Although, I think doing well timed BAirs might be good in coordination with Smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I said I'd give Shulk some consideration and see how he works for me. I've given him due credit and my verdict is that, I must admit, I ain't really feelin' it. He's definitely a fun character and I can hold my own with him, but he's never going to be my main.

That being said, my god but a good Shulk player is a thing of beauty. Seriously, major respect for you guys that can play him well, because I don't have that kind of strict co-ordination and reaction speed. He looks absolutely beautiful when in the hands of a skilled player and, even if I don't play him myself, I always have a great time watching others play him. I think that's definitely worth something in the long run.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So I said I'd give Shulk some consideration and see how he works for me. I've given him due credit and my verdict is that, I must admit, I ain't really feelin' it. He's definitely a fun character and I can hold my own with him, but he's never going to be my main.

That being said, my god but a good Shulk player is a thing of beauty. Seriously, major respect for you guys that can play him well, because I don't have that kind of strict co-ordination and reaction speed. He looks absolutely beautiful when in the hands of a skilled player and, even if I don't play him myself, I always have a great time watching others play him. I think that's definitely worth something in the long run.
Good to know. I had the impression that people watching Shulk would think he's cheap or something

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
In case anyone's interested, I'm hosting a tourney. I was gonna hold off, but a friend talked me into it xD

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Good to know. I had the impression that people watching Shulk would think he's cheap or something
I often play Smash with others at college, but they often become Salty McButthurts when I win as Shulk. It's devolved into me being "so bad" at Smash Bros. because I main Shulk, declarations that I automatically lose if I pick Shulk, and even posters of my face being produced talking about what a scumbag I am for playing Shulk. Seriously, people are using up their free time to produce posters about what a scumbag I am for maining a character I've wanted to main this entire time, instead of actually practising to get better at the game and beat me.

If I win, so what I was playing Shulk. If I lose, I'm really awful because I lost as Shulk.

And they tried to convince me he'd be an awful character.

Sorry if that sounded ranty, I really needed to vent there...

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I often play Smash with others at college, but they often become Salty McButthurts when I win as Shulk. It's devolved into me being "so bad" at Smash Bros. because I main Shulk, declarations that I automatically lose if I pick Shulk, and even posters of my face being produced talking about what a scumbag I am for playing Shulk. Seriously, people are using up their free time to produce posters about what a scumbag I am for maining a character I've wanted to main this entire time, instead of actually practising to get better at the game and beat me.

If I win, so what I was playing Shulk. If I lose, I'm really awful because I lost as Shulk.

Oh hey look, a GIF for all the Shulk haters! NSFW Language.

Wow, those guys have nothing to do all the time

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

So grown men in college took time out of their day just to bash you for maining a character they don't like? Seriously? And I thought my high school was annoying. .-.

I mean, every time I see DH or Diddy on FG makes me want to find the players and throw them out the window, but I don't TELL anyone that.
Oh wait...

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
So grown men in college took time out of their day just to bash you for maining a character they don't like? Seriously? And I thought my high school was annoying. .-.

I mean, every time I see DH or Diddy on FG makes me want to find the players and throw them out the window, but I don't TELL anyone that.
Oh wait...
Heeyyyy! *co-mains Duck Hunt*

Oh wait...
Yeah. I really don't like going against Diddy. I've only won around 40-42% of my matches against Diddy :c

DHD is easier though but still annoying as eff. As much as speed helps, his projectiles are really really really good. I haven't tried out my new custom load out so I don't know. I still think I'm not gonna feel it that much

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So I just learned something the hard way in For Glory today. You all seem to play to a higher level and more frequently than me, so you probably all know already but it resulted in me waltzing into two charged f-smashes from Ike.

Shulk can't use Visions when he's cycling through his Arts. In the match, we're both on last stock, I'm sent away from the stage, but I'm honestly doing pretty well for the damage (maybe 40%) and he's 80%. As I'm recovering from very high up, I think "I reckon I can win if I just turn on Shield and finish like that." He starts charging and I move through to Shield, as I land I go to use Vision... and move through to Buster on cooldown and get sent flying high again. I though I mispressed for Vision and I did the exact same thing, the exact same way, a second time and lost the match. (I did beat him the next two matches, Shulk vs. Greninja and Falcon vs. Link to make up for it but wow... even I'm disappointed in myself for not realising.)

In case anyone's interested, I'm hosting a tourney. I was gonna hold off, but a friend talked me into it xD
When's it being held? I might take part assuming the time zones match up (they usually don't but I may as well check!)

tumblr_m8qetlD5Lw1qfpjm7.jpg
Wow... people are... wow. I get a bit of teasing from my close friends sometimes, so I set it to Random and own them with someone else. (In this case, it helps that most of my close friends aren't gamers and those that are, are more PS fans.)

Last edited:
Wow, Fox is an odd match up. By that, I meant I used buster and shield mainly for this one and got better results than using speed and jump. You're better off with defensive play against Fox. It works well and better than pure mobility

As for Sheik, do what you want. Just don't stay too close. Space and maximize your range. Watch out for her u-air while you're using jump. Lol. I 'm pretty sure sure I was suppose to get killed at that point but somehow, I didn't. Oh and ALWAYS use jump when recovering. ALWAYS

I just found out. I'm not that good with Zelda. I only won 1 match out of 9 against my friend's Fox (He isn't even his main lol). Oh btw, that one match was because he ****ed up his recovery because of understandable circle pad screw up

Oh and I just tried using Smash early against Sheik and I somehow managed to land U-smash. Her % was at 4%. The first hit didn't even bring her up which made me whiff my second hit. Wow. This art is really something

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I knocked someone off stage with a fair at 90ish % and ran away from them, activated Speed, and ran over and Usmashed to KO #monadooooREKT
have you guys been doing this at all to destroy your opponents? idk if this is something new or not but I've been doing it a while and it's prty fun
also, I Jump gimped someone earlier and won the match but Shulk turned invisible and only his feet were visible with the green glow as the "GAME" thing came across the screen...
WIREFRAME SHULK CONFIRMED? :4shulk::4wiremac::4shulk:

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
When's it being held? I might take part assuming the time zones match up (they usually don't but I may as well check!)
I'm trying to account for other time zones. I'm gonna start it on Halloween (hence the name, Graveyard Smash), not sure exactly what time. But it'll be an all-day thing over the weekend, so people in different time zones can be factored in. Hell, I have an Australian friend signed up. I can rig the bracket to have you two fight against each other.

I knocked someone off stage with a fair at 90ish % and ran away from them, activated Speed, and ran over and Usmashed to KO #monadooooREKT
have you guys been doing this at all to destroy your opponents? idk if this is something new or not but I've been doing it a while and it's prty fun
Yeah. I do this a lot too

Also, it seems like going slow and defensive against Greninja works much better than using jump+speed combo. I used buster/shield against Greninja. I dunno. Just my opinion but if anyone can tell me how you can make jump and speed work against Greninja, that'd be cool

I just remembered something. For the full duration of jump, I racked up the same usual damage I rack up with buster. It only takes me (with buster) like less than 8 seconds to rack up damage as high as I usually do with jump. Wow, I just remembered the high reward feels

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm trying to account for other time zones. I'm gonna start it on Halloween (hence the name, Graveyard Smash), not sure exactly what time. But it'll be an all-day thing over the weekend, so people in different time zones can be factored in. Hell, I have an Australian friend signed up. I can rig the bracket to have you two fight against each other.
Cool (nice event name, by the way.) I'm in Aus, I dunno if you want to rearrange brackets or not, I'll leave it up to you.

I tried to run a tournament last weekend, arranging brackets by time zone. Had roughly 35 entrants. I've not used that site and don't know how it works (edit: setting this up looks incredibly easy, I'll keep it in mind for next time instead of spending hours on Excel), but I know that for mine, heaps of people missed the match times I set for them and many didn't show. Because some rounds weren't finished it, offset the later rounds, people would be waiting around for matches. We got to the end, but it was really hectic.

Not saying this will turn out like that. Just giving you a heads-up, really. Sure, I'll join (just hope my net connection is stable enough.)

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So is that tournament online?If it is and I have time then well...I'm Really Feeling It!

Has anyone tried camping off-stage with jump against Little Mac?

Never tried it because I only thought of it now

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Has anyone tried camping off-stage with jump against Little Mac?

Never tried it because I only thought of it now
No, but it sounds really troll-y... I like it.

Only thing I can see going wrong is Little Mac getting a Counter in at a bad time, or overestimating how long you have Jump for.

Problem with it is that there isn't any consistent way on how to deal damage. I get that we can camp off stage but the damage part is the tricky part. Using n-air is out of the window considering how long it lasts

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Do any of you other Shulk Players have trouble against Sonic/Rosalina!? They are by far my most troublesome MU's.

Top Bottom