• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
There is no chance Ice Climbers are coming back. They were up and running on the wii u version but the 3ds couldn't handle it so it got pulled from both versions. Perhaps they could be Wii U exclusives but Sakurai has openly said that both versions have the same roster.

I love that Smash is on a portable system now so I can pretty much play it anywhere but I don't want it to hold back the Wii U version.I don't believe they should've cut IC from the Wii U game. So the 3ds owners get one less character to play as, at least the 3ds game wouldn't hold the Wii U one back. Anyone agree?

Last edited:
There is no chance Ice Climbers are coming back. They were up and running on the wii u version but the 3ds couldn't handle it so it got pulled from both versions. Perhaps they could be Wii U exclusives but Sakurai has openly said that both versions have the same roster.

I love that Smash is on a portable system now so I can pretty much play it anywhere but I don't want it to hold back the Wii U version.I don't believe they should've cut IC from the Wii U game. So the 3ds owners get one less character to play as, at least the 3ds game wouldn't hold the Wii U one back. Anyone agree?
That's the thing though. It really sucks how the 3DS has to hold back the Wii U version

I hope Sakurai changes his mind set. Seriously. Let's be real here. The Wii U isn't doing so well. Additional characters (Not modes) will actually give people reasons to buy this game + the console despite having the 3DS version already. Let's be real here, about 3% of the human population bought the game on the 3DS solely for Smash Run

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I don't why they can't have one or two characters that's on the Wii U or 3DS version? He says they are different games so why not treat them like there are?!

Really hope they go all out with the Wii U version

Pls don't be dum Ninty

Also against Rosaluma, don't jab. Ever. Just stick to n-air->d-tilt. Just be lucky we don't have much combos and that our speed combos are composed of just low knockback n-airs and grabs

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I think the thing is that you don't want people to feel like they're buying something with less content (3DS version). If something is removed from one version, it either has to be removed from the other or be compensated by some equivalent. Having different modes and stages gives you incentive to buy both, without feeling like you've been short-changed. Missing out on, say, Smash Run, is made up for by some other mode. This said, a lot of people buy Smash for the characters so it's important that both have identical rosters.

I know a lot of people would be mad if 3DS had the roster and Wii U had the roster and Ice Climbers, because in this case, the 3DS is missing out with no kind of compensation.

If they can somehow get them working on New 3DS, I'd love to see it.
I really want Ice Climbers to come back, but I can understand from this perspective why they haven't.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm glad that he at least gave them a trophy, along with Lucas and Pokemon Trainer. I like to think that if they were in the game, that's what their artwork would've resembled.

I hope that one day we can get a massive reboot with a new Ice Climbers game on the 3DS like with Kid Icarus. That's not too much to ask, right? :(

I think the thing is that you don't want people to feel like they're buying something with less content (3DS version). If something is removed from one version, it either has to be removed from the other or be compensated by some equivalent. Having different modes and stages gives you incentive to buy both, without feeling like you've been short-changed. Missing out on, say, Smash Run, is made up for by some other mode. This said, a lot of people buy Smash for the characters so it's important that both have identical rosters.

I know a lot of people would be mad if 3DS had the roster and Wii U had the roster and Ice Climbers, because in this case, the 3DS is missing out with no kind of compensation.

I really want Ice Climbers to come back, but I can understand from this perspective why they haven't.
Like I said, they might do it for the sake of the Wii U's performance. It ain't doing well even with MK8

Oh and, I've been switching to smash a lot against Rosalina or Jiggs when they're around 65%. Lol

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Like I said, they might do it for the sake of the Wii U's performance. It ain't doing well even with MK8

Oh and, I've been switching to smash a lot against Rosalina or Jiggs when they're around 65%. Lol
I'll agree to disagree in this case :) even though Smash is the greatest advertising tool I've ever seen, I don't think they'll do it for the Wii U's sake. That said, I'm still naïvely hopeful they'll squish Ice Climbers in with DLC or... something.
Just you watch, now that I've said that, the Nintendo Direct at the end of the week will reveal Ice Climbers and I'll once more be happily eating my own words. Just like when I said "Shulk's not getting revealed tomorrow" and "They won't put GBA games on the eShop" (still half-true since I meant 3DS...)

How that Monado Smash working out for you on those guys? I usually don't turn it on until about 100% for everyone but I've accidentally gotten some good hits on a few light characters which made me think I should take my opponent into consideration. (Sounds obvious when I say it like that.)

I'll agree to disagree in this case :) even though Smash is the greatest advertising tool I've ever seen, I don't think they'll do it for the Wii U's sake. That said, I'm still naïvely hopeful they'll squish Ice Climbers in with DLC or... something.
Just you watch, now that I've said that, the Nintendo Direct at the end of the week will reveal Ice Climbers and I'll once more be happily eating my own words. Just like when I said "Shulk's not getting revealed tomorrow" and "They won't put GBA games on the eShop" (still half-true since I meant 3DS...)

How that Monado Smash working out for you on those guys? I usually don't turn it on until about 100% for everyone but I've accidentally gotten some good hits on a few light characters which made me think I should take my opponent into consideration. (Sounds obvious when I say it like that.)
Hmmmm.... Well, okay then

I'm starting to warm up to it. Smash doesn't increase your damage received and that's all that matters. The damage debuff, I don't give a **** about. The weight debuff, jump does the same thing. It's only unsafe if you're at 100%+. Against light characters, using it early and spacing with it and scoring a KO with u-smash or u-special is beast.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What's your favorite Monado mode that you use with Shulk?
If I had to pick, it would probably be Smash mode where knockback is significantly increased.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
What's your favorite Monado mode that you use with Shulk?
If I had to pick, it would probably be Smash mode where knockback is significantly increased.
Gotta say Speed, and I know, that there's a thread for that. But I like to casually talk here too.^^
I gotta say, I really like palutena, she's no shulk, but damn. Any advantages she has against shulk, since I rarely get to play against one?

Gotta say Speed, and I know, that there's a thread for that. But I like to casually talk here too.^^
I gotta say, I really like palutena, she's no shulk, but damn. Any advantages she has against shulk, since I rarely get to play against one?
I dunno. She's hot

I'm still learning to play as her. I only played against her once as Shulk. Jump art messes with auto reticule. Fireworks is annoying. Not sure if countering will help. Just use jump. Or speed. Mostly jump. JUMP AND SLASH MAN.

Dash attack nullfies counter as in, it ignores the damage from the counter. Don't know about explosive flame. The Palutena was using auto-reticule

That's all I know. It's only 1 match but I dunno. She's hot :3

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
3 days will be Bowser Jr and Dunk Hunt trailer on...a mountain aAnd ICs pop out and smack both of them.And a box buried in the snow..."Kept you waiting,huh?Then a shadow ball hits snake...Mewtwo strikes back and Samurai announces 8 player matches...right?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I dunno. She's hot

I'm still learning to play as her. I only played against her once as Shulk. Jump art messes with auto reticule. Fireworks is annoying. Not sure if countering will help. Just use jump. Or speed. Mostly jump. JUMP AND SLASH MAN.

Dash attack nullfies counter as in, it ignores the damage from the counter. Don't know about explosive flame. The Palutena was using auto-reticule

That's all I know. It's only 1 match but I dunno. She's hot :3
Celestial firework makes her invulnerable for a little bit, so countering this, won't do much. Alread tried that.
Her shield bushes me slightly off, so I can't hif her with backslash, and auto thingy never was a problem for me... But her up smash has so damn much range, phew.
That's all I know what makes her good against shulk, but shulk's was of approaching her is also not the easiest. I'd say speed + grabbing her would be okay, since her smashes are slow, but with much range. Attacks from above could hurt more than benefit, but nair is always just to ridiculus good, except you are in her usmash range.

Derp. I kinda quit speculating for a while now. Wherever this goes, I'm fine. The only thing I'm vying for is a Fatal Frame newcomer

Lol my new sig
Good choice!

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Honestly, this argument about less content is pretty weak considering that:

a) the Wii U version will be more expensive to purchase than the 3DS version.
b) the Wii U version will be more expensive to produce than the 3DS version.

You have a situation where the consumer of the Wii U version will expect more bang for their buck (and not just graphically) and Nintendo has more of incentive to make sure the Wii U version succeeds as much as possible. It would be one thing to deliberately make characters Wii U exclusives in a cynical attempt to make the Wii U version more desirable as there's waaaaay too much potential to invite backlash from fans but it's different in the case of the Ice Climbers since there's no justifiable reason for 3DS owners to be mad since Sakurai outright stated he tried to make them work on the 3DS but ultimately couldn't.

The only practical reason I can possibly think of for cutting the ICs from the Wii U version is Sakurai and the team somehow not being able to devote as much time to play testing and balancing out version exclusive fighters. I don't see any reason why the ICs should be cut on principle though.

Celestial firework makes her invulnerable for a little bit, so countering this, won't do much. Alread tried that.
Her shield bushes me slightly off, so I can't hif her with backslash, and auto thingy never was a problem for me... But her up smash has so damn much range, phew.
That's all I know what makes her good against shulk, but shulk's was of approaching her is also not the easiest. I'd say speed + grabbing her would be okay, since her smashes are slow, but with much range. Attacks from above could hurt more than benefit, but nair is always just to ridiculus good, except you are in her usmash range.

Good choice!
I'm playing and getting used to her currently

Palutena is a character that punishes whiffs so you know what to do. Use the art that you're likely to be least punished with: Speed.

I'd say space against her. I'm sure it works but then with speed, I'd rather stick with mind gaming her. Bait her into whiffing an attack then punish her and stay on her. Honestly, mind games are probably the best way to go

Which is why speed is probably good

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Palutena and Shulk share similar characteristics. Average power, above normal range, somewhat slow attacks, same height(?), and a counter. The major difference is that Shulk can change his attributes with Monado Arts while Palutena is flexable with her varies specials.

The only advice for the match up is that using Vision to counter Palutena's dash attack doesn't work. Also, I believe Reflect can push Shulk away if the player poorly times Air Slash, but I can't varify that.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
What do shulk players think of the livestream?I am hoping for new characters(Mewtwo!),will be free dlc November 20th and wiiu 21st so we have the same roster still.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I doubt that Mewtwo will be back in this game either simply because he has a trophy in the 3DS version already. Same with Lucas and Ice Climbers.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this argument about less content is pretty weak considering that:

a) the Wii U version will be more expensive to purchase than the 3DS version.
b) the Wii U version will be more expensive to produce than the 3DS version.

You have a situation where the consumer of the Wii U version will expect more bang for their buck (and not just graphically) and Nintendo has more of incentive to make sure the Wii U version succeeds as much as possible. It would be one thing to deliberately make characters Wii U exclusives in a cynical attempt to make the Wii U version more desirable as there's waaaaay too much potential to invite backlash from fans but it's different in the case of the Ice Climbers since there's no justifiable reason for 3DS owners to be mad since Sakurai outright stated he tried to make them work on the 3DS but ultimately couldn't.

The only practical reason I can possibly think of for cutting the ICs from the Wii U version is Sakurai and the team somehow not being able to devote as much time to play testing and balancing out version exclusive fighters. I don't see any reason why the ICs should be cut on principle though.
When I first read that I thought you said backslash.
I think I had too much of the Monado for one day.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Like @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero said, they're both slow and methodical characters. If you really want to take it to Palutena, though, I'd recommend keeping your peepers peeled for her movements - don't let her set up and strike her when her guard's down. Speed / Jump may help, since she's got some great airgame skills going on and you'll want to be able to counter that whenever you can. She can counter too, so watch out for that, and be wary of her warping behind you and striking when you're not on your best behaviour!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I have not played xenoblade yet, and I am maining shulk. That's probably due to the fact I'm hype for xenooblade X.
Any spoilers in smash?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
There are no significant Xenoblade spoilers in Smash 3ds... not even in the trophies.

I got my butt hurt by a Paulutena player. I think it was because her aerial attacks come out faster than Shulk's, and I wasn't really keeping up with my range when using my aerials.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I'm surprised theres no spoilers. I bet there will be in the Wii U version though with a few characters I have in mind. Maybe they won't though, as unlike Lucina and Fire Emblem Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles is being rereleased, so lots will buy it. They might not do spoilers as that'd affect the games sales. Also, about that Smash direct I hope they show off some stage so we can hear the AMAZING Xenoblade music in the game. engagetheenemyhype

Actually, scratch that. The entire soundtrack is HYPE.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Nope, at least not in the 3DS version. I would expect some in the form of trophies in the Wii U version, though.
This is Zanza, the creator and god of the world of the Bionis, whose soul remained in the Monado, used Shulk's body in order to take Lady Meyneth's Monado. His disciples are Dickson and Alvis.
I still don't understand how that one plot point worked. Dickson shot Shulk, and they were speaking about how he was dead ever since they found the Monado. Zanza absorbed the ether in all of the Homs when someone touched it, killing Shulk there, and proceeds to use his body until the time has come for him to reveal himself to everyone, but then he's able to come back to life. Anyone know how Shulk came back to life?
Really hope no one saw that pre-edit.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
This is Zanza, the creator and god of the world of the Bionis, whose soul remained in the Monado, used Shulk's body in order to take Lady Meyneth's Monado. His disciples are ****son and Alvis.
I still don't understand how that one plot point worked. ****son shot Shulk, and they were speaking about how he was dead ever since they found the Monado. Zanza absorbed the ether in all of the Homs when someone touched it, killing Shulk there, and proceeds to use his body until the time has come for him to reveal himself to everyone, but then he's able to come back to life. Anyone know how Shulk came back to life?
I was under the impression that Alvis did it.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
This is Zanza, the creator and god of the world of the Bionis, whose soul remained in the Monado, used Shulk's body in order to take Lady Meyneth's Monado. His disciples are ****son and Alvis.
I still don't understand how that one plot point worked. ****son shot Shulk, and they were speaking about how he was dead ever since they found the Monado. Zanza absorbed the ether in all of the Homs when someone touched it, killing Shulk there, and proceeds to use his body until the time has come for him to reveal himself to everyone, but then he's able to come back to life. Anyone know how Shulk came back to life?
Really hope no one saw that pre-edit
WITH THE POWER OF LOVE and video game logic. :awesome:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
This is my take on it:
- Shulk died as a kid.
- 'son put Zanza into Shulk's body which brought Shulk back to life.
- Shulk goes on with normal life.
- 'son shoots Shulk and almost kills him, somehow Zanza's able to pop out without him being dead.
- In Colony 6 on Junks if you go upstairs and talk to Linada before going to fight the Telethia, she actually says Shulk's still alive.

That part of the plot is where Xenoblade gets confusing, I'll admit. Especially with this, and I'm still lost on how Shulk got his own Monado in the endgame.

On a separate note, if you're playing against someone online and you set Customisation On, is there any way to verify they're only using custom moves and not the custom stats? As far as I'm aware, if you put on a bunch of stats and roughly balance them out, it displays the same(?) grey icon as if there were no stats added.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
If the stats are balanced then it will show all three colors in equal triangles. I don't really know how to explain it, but it will tell you if there are any stat boosts on that character, even if it's balanced.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
This is my take on it:
- Shulk died as a kid.
- 'son put Zanza into Shulk's body which brought Shulk back to life.
- Shulk goes on with normal life.
- 'son shoots Shulk and almost kills him, somehow Zanza's able to pop out without him being dead.
- In Colony 6 on Junks if you go upstairs and talk to Linada before going to fight the Telethia, she actually says Shulk's still alive.

That part of the plot is where Xenoblade gets confusing, I'll admit. Especially with this, and I'm still lost on how Shulk got his own Monado in the endgame.

On a separate note, if you're playing against someone online and you set Customisation On, is there any way to verify they're only using custom moves and not the custom stats? As far as I'm aware, if you put on a bunch of stats and roughly balance them out, it displays the same(?) grey icon as if there were no stats added.
Grey circle is no stat boosts. At all. Something else displays for if your stat boosts are even.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
3 days will be Bowser Jr and Dunk Hunt trailer on...a mountain aAnd ICs pop out and smack both of them.And a box buried in the snow..."Kept you waiting,huh?Then a shadow ball hits snake...Mewtwo strikes back and Samurai announces 8 player matches...right?
I'd love to see the a newcomer trailer considering this is the final direct kind of thing we're getting for Smash U ever, even if we already know the full roster, i'd still love to see an epic trailer for Jr. (i mean, he's the only villain newcomer, i think he could use a trailer, it'd probably be cooler than Duck Hunts anyway, his would just be a joke kind of trailer). I'm just honestly hoping they bring up DLC in this direct, I NEEEEDZ MY CUT CHARACTERS TO COME BACK MAN. :( Seriously, if they don't do DLC for Smash to bring back some of the cut characters, i'd be a bit dissapointed.

Top Bottom