• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Do any of you other Shulk Players have trouble against Sonic/Rosalina!? They are by far my most troublesome MU's.
Sonic? No

Rosalina? Sort of. Same boat with Kirby. Can be slightly annoying but definitely doable. If there's any character that's considered near annoying, it's Diddy or DHD

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Do any of you other Shulk Players have trouble against Sonic/Rosalina!? They are by far my most troublesome MU's.
Sonic? No

Rosalina? Sort of. Same boat with Kirby. Can be slightly annoying but definitely doable. If there's any character that's considered near annoying, it's Diddy or DHD
Diddy I definitely see as troublesome. He can shield basically all of Shulks laggy moves, and even if you space correctly he can just throw the banana out of shield and proceed from there.

Haven't had much trouble with Kirby-just gotta keep him at a distance. And DHD hasn't been too painful either-I usually resort to backslash when he is camping behind all of his nonsense lol.

Diddy I definitely see as troublesome. He can shield basically all of Shulks laggy moves, and even if you space correctly he can just throw the banana out of shield and proceed from there.

Haven't had much trouble with Kirby-just gotta keep him at a distance. And DHD hasn't been too painful either-I usually resort to backslash when he is camping behind all of his nonsense lol.
I haven't tried using EBS (Enduring back slash) at all against DHD so maybe that might work.

Oh and not sure but I think Trela did have a match against some Diddy player but I'm not 100% sure about this >___>. If there's at least one match or two of him winning, that'd be useful to dissect. I really need help against Diddy

Actually if anyone has any tips against Diddy, now'd be the time to tell me

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I haven't tried using EBS (Enduring back slash) at all against DHD so maybe that might work.

Oh and not sure but I think Trela did have a match against some Diddy player but I'm not 100% sure about this >___>. If there's at least one match or two of him winning, that'd be useful to dissect. I really need help against Diddy

Actually if anyone has any tips against Diddy, now'd be the time to tell me
I would say you just have to bait out the banana and not get grabbed because diddy can convert a majority of his grabs into combo's. Easier said than done of course. Maybe even utilize Shield at lower percent's to prevent the grab chains and to stay on the ground more-shield banana-punish his dash with a shield grab/spot dodge his grab with your own. Would have to try these things out more tho to truly see.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Yeah. Not much of an issue for you? Then I'd love some tips dude '-_-

And so do other Shulk players
I have only faced against one beastly Diddy in an online tournament and I most likely would have lost had he not SD'd. Definitely want to brush up on that MU as much as possible.

Is Diddy really that much of an issue?
Yea man how do you handle Diddy's?

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Quite ironic, I main Shulk and Sonic. (With TLink, Bowser, and DocMario secondaries).

I'm thinking of picking up Pit and Ike, as well, all depends on how a few For Glory rounds work out.

Also, hello Shulk Social Thread.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
do your guys tournaments allow custom moves? theyre allowing them in NJ and im working to get them banned. so i went bowser and only wanted to survive a bowsercide and not work for the win. just show it off. but if shulk were to use custom moves do you think he can benefit from any of them? i think the charge back slash is better than regular. but i wanna know your guys inputs

do your guys tournaments allow custom moves? theyre allowing them in NJ and im working to get them banned. so i went bowser and only wanted to survive a bowsercide and not work for the win. just show it off. but if shulk were to use custom moves do you think he can benefit from any of them? i think the charge back slash is better than regular. but i wanna know your guys inputs
He'll benefit from charging back slash

Decisive monado arts is useful for certain match ups like little Mac

Advancing air slash, although difficult to get used to at first, is better than default air sash

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I honestly don't get why custom moves shouldn't be allowed.. it's just a variation of the move and not ridiculous like everyone originally thought it'd be. If your opponents tell eachother their custom moves I don't see the issue in just having to learn how to deal with something slightly different. The only one I can really think of a decent use for his power/stronger Vision against characters with laggier moves like Ganondorf or Shulk himself. I haven't really messed around with custom moves too much though except for Robin's but I'm sure a lot of tournaments will allow them and they'll be useful to change up your game plan for certain matchups. :4shulk:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
What so wrong with having custom moves? They all got strengths and weaknesses so it's not like the are OP so why banned them?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
The only Character who would benefit from that over the top is palutena, since she has a bit more variety between her customs.
But well, I don't see a problem there. Since anyone can use them, it should be fine. (Except there is some broken combo unknown to me)

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i dont like customs since characters can do some pretty crazy things with them. bowser can steal a stock for free and survive. he can survive his own bowsercide. greninja can combo into kill moves with a custom shuriken. he can safely shuriken which sends the opponent over his head for u smash. we had an amazing greninja here who used to use it. then he stopped because nobody liked his greninja in youtube comments. now hes losing to pretty much anybody it seems. apparently theres some kind of DK up b that i have yet to see thats extremely dumb. they say it makes him brawl metaknight or something but i havent seen that one. im against customs but willing to accept them which is why im asking which ones shulk benefits from.

D

Deleted member

I never use custom moves. I like playing as the characters with their default special moves.

i dont like customs since characters can do some pretty crazy things with them. bowser can steal a stock for free and survive. he can survive his own bowsercide. greninja can combo into kill moves with a custom shuriken. he can safely shuriken which sends the opponent over his head for u smash. we had an amazing greninja here who used to use it. then he stopped because nobody liked his greninja in youtube comments. now hes losing to pretty much anybody it seems. apparently theres some kind of DK up b that i have yet to see thats extremely dumb. they say it makes him brawl metaknight or something but i havent seen that one. im against customs but willing to accept them which is why im asking which ones shulk benefits from.
And the custom moves you mentioned here was what made me fear them in the first place.

I'm starting to get the hang of Shulk I think. I think that he really works well if you play as him very defensively from what I've noticed.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Hi y'all. Been a while since I've been on the Shulk social. Anywho, I'm loving the new Smash. Shulk's one of my mains for sure. Still working out who I'm going to main/secondary but Shulks definitely up there with Pit, Greninja, Mario, Mega Man, Link/Toon Link.

How's everyone liking the new game? Miles better than Brawl I'd say.

Hi y'all. Been a while since I've been on the Shulk social. Anywho, I'm loving the new Smash. Shulk's one of my mains for sure. Still working out who I'm going to main/secondary but Shulks definitely up there with Pit, Greninja, Mario, Mega Man, Link/Toon Link.

There's no tripping

That's like 9999 miles above Brawl

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Bronados, any knowledge you guys can pass when fighting Pac-Man?

I always have trouble fighting them when I use Shulk. That damn b-air of his is annoying

D

Deleted member

I say that it's miles better than Brawl. The gameplay is damn near perfection in my opinion. The only thing holding it back is the 3DS itself; it's hard to be precise with this game when the 3DS circle pad isn't very precise.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

I always have trouble fighting them when I use Shulk. That damn b-air of his is annoying
If he does the fire hydrant and runs off, SHIELD FOR YOUR LIFE CUZ HE'S BAIRING THAT FIRE HYDRANT INTO YOUR FACE. Be careful with his fruits and stuff. I can remember apples bounce at a low angle, the melon travels slowly and powerfully, bell does a really high zig zag motion and can stun like ZSS Paralyzer (btw since when can a bell stun you wtf), the flying thingy does a loopdeloop, and key is a really fast ko move in a straight line.

I've been using Speed against him on ground and dthrow > fair can really pressure him. Use Jump when hes recovering to hit him out of it or be devilish and if he needs to bounce on the trampoline a third time, jump on it so it disappears and he falls to his death (lolololol). And learn how to hit him out of that side b, the pellets he drop recover hp. He might use that move if hes on top of the fire hydrant and angle it so it hits the fire hydrant towards you.

Basically, out-troll him to win :troll:

To me, this is easily the best Smash game yet. All the characters are extremely unique, and on top of that I feel like every character in this game actually has a chance of winning. The development team even appealed to both casual and competitive with For Fun/For Glory. The 3DS controls aren't any problem either and I can't wait for the Wii U version witheventualdlc

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I can agree to this, except idk about Sonics.

DHD gives us issues because he's heavy on projectiles. I faced someone in for glory who was pretty easy until he decided to try out DHD. It's almost like he sets up a wall with his neutral b/side b combination. I was able to get over it with Monado Jump, but he seems to have decent anti-aerial options. I think I remember landing behind him and trying to go from there, but he just retreated and set up his wall again. I was thinking about DHD earlier today, and maybe if you were to use the Monado to hit the can back at him that would lead to success. You would want to hit it from a range so he doesn't send it into you. This is just something I'll try next time I face a DHD.

I faced a pretty skilled Diddy today, so I know what you guys are talking about. He gets in our zone really easily with that side B of his. Very annoying.

Both of these characters are very annoying with their demeanor as well, making them even more frustrating.

I can't really judge Sonic since it's been a while since I last faced one. I had issues against the last one, but I have gained a lot of skill since then.

I'm having the most fun with Smash Bros since I was a little kid playing 64/Melee with my older brothers. The improved online play is a huge contributor to this. Also: Shulk.

Smash Run is a nice addition because it gives me something to do when I have free time between classes. Classic is okay for that too.

Although, if I'm at home looking to play with my brothers, I would prefer a go at Kirby Air Ride's City Trial over Smash Run. While Sakurai seemingly tried to recapture the effect City Trial had into Smash Run, it's not as much fun.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I loved Brawl immensely (inb4 I get heckled for liking Brawl, I never played competitively and just like playing Smash), but I think Smash 4 is slowly taking its place. Shulk is a major factor, as are slower characters feeling better to use.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Brawl was a lot of fun as a kid. but after playing PM and S4, it's really hard to go back to Brawl. The only reason I would go back is for the Subspace Emissary, and the Ice Climbers. ;-; I still miss them so much damn you hardware limitations.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I would love the Ice Climbers to be DLC later, but I find it hard to believe that DLC will ever happen. The New 3DS can most likely handle the Ice Climbers, but since some people won't get that system, Sakurai still has to consider those people. I doubt he'll release any DLC at all, except maybe a stage or two, because the games already being pushed to it's limits. Hell, it's the only 3DS game that actually has to restart the system when you close the game, and we can't browse the internet or visit Miiverse with the game running either.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Brawl was a lot of fun as a kid. but after playing PM and S4, it's really hard to go back to Brawl. The only reason I would go back is for the Subspace Emissary, and the Ice Climbers. ;-; I still miss them so much damn you hardware limitations.
I have to go back to Brawl regularly because my close friends refuse to by 3DS' ;_;

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Yeah unless he can get Ice Climbers running on classic 3DS they're not gonna be DLC. Even if the new one can handle them, what happens if you try to play someone with an old one. "Sorry you can't play this character because this guy can't handle it?" I don't think anyone would really like that unless they just hate the Ice Climbers.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I saw someone suggest that Nana could run at 30 fps like assist trophies, but I'm no good with technical stuff like that so I have no idea if that would still be too much for the 3DS or if it could handle it.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You know what, I kind of forgot about all of the fun I had with Brawl. I played that game for years... early middle school to early high school. When I was in middle school I would go hardcore online. I would turn the game's music all the way down and blast System of a Down and Dragonforce in my headphones =]. At once I did that for like a whole summer. I eventually transitioned from Brawl into other things. I would still face off against my brothers every once in a while. Last year, with the announcement of Smash 4, I got reinterested. Somehow I found out about Brawl Vault which lead me to make Shulk a moveset. That took months. I played a lot of Brawl during that time though, nonetheless.

Anyways, Brawl is still fun, but idk if I'll really be playing it again.

"Do not let the last glimmer of hope be extinguished!" - Egil
I probably will not get it until some sort of game forces me to.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I saw someone suggest that Nana could run at 30 fps like assist trophies, but I'm no good with technical stuff like that so I have no idea if that would still be too much for the 3DS or if it could handle it.
From my understanding, it's the AI that's the problem, not the FPS.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
From my understanding, it's the AI that's the problem, not the FPS.
By this point I've accepted it, but I'm curious as to why they can't use the same algorithms for the AI as in Melee and/or Brawl. They've done it before so they know how to do it. Maybe it's too intensive on 3DS and impossible to reduce the system usage low enough for it.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I've been here too long not to have a cool signature. I think I'll fix up that ASCII Monado I made on the onset of Monado Monday. It was not the best even when I posted it, but now it's totally broken.
................................. ¸,.,¸,« * ^ ¨¯¨^*»¸
¸‹¨*¨;*¨;*¨;*¨;*¨;*¨;*¨;´...::.::· ¸«^*¨*^»¸·,`*¸
; O ¸,¸,¸,¸,¸,¸,¸,¸,¸ ¸,¸ ..::;;;:· ,‘ ............. ’, ;;, ’*^¤›~-·~ -•·- .,_¸__¸__¸__¸__¸__¸_¸_¸_¸
.’–’ .................... \/ .... `, :;: ; ................ ; ;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ',
................................... ', :. ’, .............. ,’ ,;;;;;;;;::. Érïçð .::;;;;;;;;;::. 9001 .::;;;;;;;;;;;;: ,’
.................................... ; :;,, ‘›.,¸ _ ¸,.‹’ ,;;;;;;;::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::· ¸›’
.................................. ´¸ .:;;;;;,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;: ¸ ·« ~ -·-·-~-·-•··-•·-·-•·-·-•~-·~~-·~+¤^*´
...................................... '* » . „¸ ¸ ¸ „ . «*´

Smashboards must have changed their text font.

Originally, it was made on brawl vault's font/spacing:

Actually, maybe I'll just make a totally new one :)... after midterms Tuesday.

Not really having trouble at all unlike last time. Stingers explained it very well
A lot of my buddies play pax man so it's honestly my most experienced MU. You need to know when is the right time for the right form cuz they all have a place in this MU.

Low % you want to stick with jump to approach campy pacs. Speed can also work but I don't like the decrease in smg compared to jump and I feel like jump is just more versatile.

If I'm losing early I'll switch to buster and try and bring it back, the downside of buster is minimized as the increase damage often means it's harder for characters to link into any kill moves.

If I'm winning early I like to stay neutral until 100~105 when smash kill options start opening up (notably air slash depending on your distance from the side your sending them).

If I get first blood I'll alternate between defense and jump. Pretty much play FOOTSIES with defense and use jump to counter PAC man when he tries to camp for keys and hydrants.

If I lose first stock I basically always go defense until they get to smash kill%.

Controlled use of buster is key, spamming it leaves you open to a lot of residual damage. Use it when you know you can keep him locked down with your air control, generally when you're pressuring him towards the ledge. His recovery can be pretty hard to edgeguard I've found as his side b tends to go through vision in my experience, so you have to catch him out with a well spaced fair or air slash. I've found jump the best when you send him deep offstage to force an immediate reaction and not let him drift too much, because PAC kind of has to start a side b and if you break the chain before he releases too early he won't get much horizontal distance, and his up bus rather easy to deal with when he's far offstage.

The rest is up to you to develop good spacing and fundamentals with your normals. Oh, and another random thing you can use backslash to jump over some of his items, and I THINK but not sure that the fire hydrant actually has a back and a front cuz I've noticed sometimes backslash will immediately knock a fresh hydrant and sometimes not. Could be dependent on a lot of things though, idk
It's all about Diddy now

Last edited:
Top Bottom