• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

hey lil mama let me whisper in yo ear :denzel:
also im not the only one who thought Fiora was Dunban's girlfriend at first, right?
At first I thought Fiora was Dunban's daughter. .-.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I got this idea earlier and giggled a bit too much making it.
I'll leave this here and go back to my regularly scheduled lurking...

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I was just browsing the Xenoblade tag on tumblr and I found this

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS BUT I'M ALSO SO ENTERTAINED
"I can feel the parkour flowing through me!"

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
so im gonna try and be a shulk main but im finding a ton of flaws in him. a lot more than my training buddies are finding. i feel a lot of stuff shouldnt be working. can you guys list general neutral game strategies you got that work for you? i feel shulk shouldnt have a good approach game at all unless hes using speed art. im curious as to what gameplay works best at this point so far

basically ive been just trying to land nairs. if i land nair i'll combo that into a grab and just go from there. but i feel this shouldnt be working

Last edited:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Shulks more about defensive spacing and grabs I've found. You shouldn't think about it like approaching, but maintaining a proper spacing. You generally want to be at nair range as that's where you make most characters your *****

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Nair is love, Nair is life.
Jokes aside, he actually has pretty decent approaching game I found myself, but that maybe is because I tend to use speed far to often.
I generally am punishing and building pressure on my enemy, through constant hitting and avoiding, even if it's just a tilt attack, a landed hit has so much psychological power behind, as long as he doesn't get you.

I very like shulk, even if he isn't the best character for me... well, till now atleast.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Lol I mean I hope your getting hits >> all I'm saying is it's hard to force your opponent off his shield with Shulk. You can space yor nairs but besides a well spaced nair NOTHING else is safe on shield (oh well purple tipper ftilt) And grab range is pretty average. So how to you rush down someone's shield with Shulk...I don't think you can. Like a harasser like diddy or Zss or rosalina could. you just have to play around it

Oh and admittedly speed is my least used form...I don't see too much benefit a lot of the time cuz that damage reduction hurts a lot. But of course it has it's uses still

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So, if you ever wondered what it would be like for Shulk and the gang to commentate a portion of the Smash Direct, this video is for you! ;)

I'M REALLY FEELING IT!!! :4shulk:

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Oh MAC <3 Shulk is so lucky we've got the only l cancel in the game :)
I just read it... that's actually fantastic news, and even maybe a reason to pic hyper arts over the others.

So, if you ever wondered what it would be like for Shulk and the gang to commentate a portion of the Smash Direct, this video is for you! ;)

Heh. I really like these commentaries.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Holy crap this video was hilarious. That ending too. XD

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk made it into this week's awkwardzombie.

Lol I mean I hope your getting hits >> all I'm saying is it's hard to force your opponent off his shield with Shulk. You can space yor nairs but besides a well spaced nair NOTHING else is safe on shield (oh well purple tipper ftilt) And grab range is pretty average. So how to you rush down someone's shield with Shulk...I don't think you can. Like a harasser like diddy or Zss or rosalina could. you just have to play around it

Oh and admittedly speed is my least used form...I don't see too much benefit a lot of the time cuz that damage reduction hurts a lot. But of course it has it's uses still
I might be really wrong here but I don't think d-tilt is safe on shield either which really sucks. MAYBE b-air is safe. Not sure. Even if it is, the landing lag sucks

This is all with buster btw because I think some of his moves (and f-tilt) become safe. Disclaimer: This is just a guess....

Tinkering around with back slash in hopes that something stupid will happen

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
the reason im thinking shulk isnt too good (right now at least) is because of how unsafe his approach game is especially when so many characters have such great projectiles like duck hunt, greninja, bowser jr, rosalina if you consider luma. then theres characters like puff who just float there waiting for you to mess up. which is all shulk can really do in that mu -.- also if the player has any sense of edgeguarding shulk should lose his stock pretty quickly. at least against characters like puff -.- if you havent noticed my training partner uses puff :mad:

EDIT: im by no means getting bodied by any characters. i just see how shulk can fall behind other characters if people learn the mu. but i also feel shulk has potential if he goes into a matchup with a full gameplan based entirely on what to avoid and what to bait. but thats just me. for the time being i still have the bowser family to keep me going until shulk develops more

Last edited:

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet

Um, that's actually my video, which I posted in this thread a little while ago with the Shulk Battle Quotes. Thanks for giving it some publicity though :)

I also posted this one:

Last edited:
the reason im thinking shulk isnt too good (right now at least) is because of how unsafe his approach game is especially when so many characters have such great projectiles like duck hunt, greninja, bowser jr, rosalina if you consider luma. then theres characters like puff who just float there waiting for you to mess up. which is all shulk can really do in that mu -.- also if the player has any sense of edgeguarding shulk should lose his stock pretty quickly. at least against characters like puff -.- if you havent noticed my training partner uses puff :mad:
You're actually having trouble against Puff? And Greninja? And Bowser Jr? Shulk's only hard MU's as of now are Rosaluma, DHD, and Diddy. The rest are either not that hard, neutral or positive

I don't think he sucks. Acutally, he's incredibly good if anything. At worst mid but he's definitely not touching low tier since he isn't that bad

Oh and speed is your best art against pretty much everyone listed there. Don't use jump against Puff. Lol

Oh and Shulk's not a rushdown character. Spacing his game. If you're trying to play like Sheik or any rushdown, you're doing it wrong. Sure, jump and speed make him borderline able to rushdown but that's really not the way to go. More importantly, jump may be great for offense but you can also use it to easily go back onstage. It has attributes that make it "easy" to edgeguard but lmao, you're not even that easy to edgeguard.

Edit: Oh and Shulk's monado arts cancel is sweet

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Um, that's actually my video, which I posted in this thread a little while ago with the Shulk Battle Quotes. Thanks for giving it some publicity though :)

I also posted this one:
Oh, I had no idea! :surprised: Excellent editing skills by the way! Both videos were supremely entertaining! ^_^ Thanks for making them!

Last edited:
If there's any puff though that pisses me off, it's Kirby. >_>

It gets even worse when he somehow manages to inhale you. That's when it gets ******** to the 99th power. He's also one of the match ups where using jump may be a bad idea. I found myself just running with speed or buster. Halp

:(

Plus even without the monado, Kirby can be slightly annoying but not as ugly as DHD or ****ing Diddy. Kirby imo is probably in the same boat with Rosalina in terms of difficulty

Once he gets the monado, I usually panic and stay in shield and hope that I can beat it out of him--- Wait, is that still in this game?

It's kinda ironic that the faster rushdown characters are actually the ones Shulk does fine against. I also find it weird that I'm okay against Bowser Jr but maybe that's because the Jr's I play are bad (Still not feeling it though. I really don't think it's hard). I don't really get the Sheik and Zamus struggle either. OH, I almost forgot. Pacman is also on the same boat with Kirbs and Rosa but I'm getting better

Regarding happy campers, I should bring up Link and Tink. Tink, I'm actually fine with. Link, wtf. I know Tink "outclasses" Link but anyway, need help. Speed and nair are working but his attacks are surprisingly fast. By fast, I meant, not as slow anymore

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I know, they made Link amazingly better, and he also can cancel landing laag, which doesn't makes it easier.

I for myself have link as 2nd main, and from experience I gotta say that Link has overall very goot reach, smash ability, the forward step with the fsmash is also neat, the dash is a little bit tricky, but yeah, getting to the point...
You don't want to spam Nair "all" the time, since his usmash is quite dangerous, since we aren't a light character, but the bair is very dominant I gotta say. When you're skilled with catching bombs, you can use that to your advantage, and Vision is deadly. The best bet would be backslash, since it's range is enough to hit, and except bombs and up b, which can fail at this point too, we don't have anything to defend against that.

Sorry if it doesn't help much, but atleast I tried. Also, our utilt is quite nice, trying to juggle with link can be good or bad, depending on the link player.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Can I just say I love Shulk's neutral air. :love::love:

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
If there's any puff though that pisses me off, it's Kirby. >_>

It gets even worse when he somehow manages to inhale you. That's when it gets ******** to the 99th power. He's also one of the match ups where using jump may be a bad idea. I found myself just running with speed or buster. Halp
Guess it's good to have a secondary as a counter to Kirby who has a good MU, hopefully.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
You're actually having trouble against Puff? And Greninja? And Bowser Jr? Shulk's only hard MU's as of now are Rosaluma, DHD, and Diddy. The rest are either not that hard, neutral or positive

I don't think he sucks. Acutally, he's incredibly good if anything. At worst mid but he's definitely not touching low tier since he isn't that bad

Oh and speed is your best art against pretty much everyone listed there. Don't use jump against Puff. Lol

Oh and Shulk's not a rushdown character. Spacing his game. If you're trying to play like Sheik or any rushdown, you're doing it wrong. Sure, jump and speed make him borderline able to rushdown but that's really not the way to go. More importantly, jump may be great for offense but you can also use it to easily go back onstage. It has attributes that make it "easy" to edgeguard but lmao, you're not even that easy to edgeguard.

Edit: Oh and Shulk's monado arts cancel is sweet
I never said I'm bad at these mu's I'm just saying how I can see shulk being bad at them. It's strange. When I'm in a match I never feel like I'm doing bad. But when I look back at my match I see so many things that should have gone differently if my opponent knew the mu. Of course shulk isn't Rush down which means when projectiles are spammed he's forced to approach. Which should theoretically give him trouble.

On a side note how useful is art canceling really? On the 3ds version I can only see myself using it to cancel my f air lag. It seems kinda difficult to pull off and possibly telegraphed imo

EDIT: I am having trouble vs this one puff given that he was the best brawl puff player by far. I play him all the time so he knows what to do against shulk. That includes very easy Edgeguarding

Last edited:

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Thought this might be appropriate to put here. I had a slightly scary glitch when I last played Xenoblade; the disc failed to read properly on my cousin's old, battered Wii. So when Fiora joins the party at the start of the game, she took on Reyn's proportions instead. I captioned it appropriately.

I'm VERY tempted to try and replicate it on Dolphin at higher resolution if I can. She couldn't jump or initiate battle when I played as her, and running off a cliff caused her to "glide" to the ground in a running animation until she hit the ground and the game crashed.

I think it was Reyn's proportions because they were the same height and had the same idle animation. Though I'm pretty sure Reyn doesn't have two daggers sticking out of his waist.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Thought this might be appropriate to put here. I had a slightly scary glitch when I last played Xenoblade; the disc failed to read properly on my cousin's old, battered Wii. So when Fiora joins the party at the start of the game, she took on Reyn's proportions instead. I captioned it appropriately.

I'm VERY tempted to try and replicate it on Dolphin at higher resolution if I can. She couldn't jump or initiate battle when I played as her, and running off a cliff caused her to "glide" to the ground in a running animation until she hit the ground and the game crashed.

I think it was Reyn's proportions because they were the same height and had the same idle animation. Though I'm pretty sure Reyn doesn't have two daggers sticking out of his waist.

That's hilariously silly.

I also don't know why this is in a spoiler tag.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

For some reason it double spoiled this and I couldn't find out how to fix it, sorry

Instead of being brought back to life with a body of Mechon, Fiora is brought back to life with a body of REYN TIME

I never said I'm bad at these mu's I'm just saying how I can see shulk being bad at them. It's strange. When I'm in a match I never feel like I'm doing bad. But when I look back at my match I see so many things that should have gone differently if my opponent knew the mu. Of course shulk isn't Rush down which means when projectiles are spammed he's forced to approach. Which should theoretically give him trouble.

On a side note how useful is art canceling really? On the 3ds version I can only see myself using it to cancel my f air lag. It seems kinda difficult to pull off and possibly telegraphed imo

EDIT: I am having trouble vs this one puff given that he was the best brawl puff player by far. I play him all the time so he knows what to do against shulk. That includes very easy Edgeguarding
Well, with monado arts, you're able to pretty much be unpredictable anyway. You can make it more mind boggling for them if you keep switching to whatever arts so that their only focused mentality is, "SHULK SLOW. EASY ****". Because the Shulk slow thing doesn't really apply for all arts (Jump and speed). Anyway, don't worry about them not knowing the MU. If they suck against Shulk, well then leave it at that. If they still lose then well... whatever.

Just don't think about it. Just leave it as, "Lol they lost"

Additionally, not all projectile characters give him a hard time at all (Jr, Samus and Mega Man)

Telegraphed? Um... I think that the tech is suppose to help you be less telegraphed if anything. Yeah, it is difficult to pull off but it's really useful. D-air or f-air or b-air lcancel is amazing

Against puff, it's purely about maximizing your range (Which means use buster) or using speed, a grounded art. And relegating jump to recovery option. That's as simple as it gets imo. Just practice dude.

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i was playing against the puff today. i made sure to take the match actually seriously this time. i played much slower and more defensive. i didnt get gimped as much if at all. i brought it to last stock until his mix up game became unfathomable. he tends to get like that. i get worried when i use jump art because of my added knockback. also when i use buster since apparently that gives you added damage as well? juggles are real i'll definitely say that.

something i must learn that i couldnt figure out myself yet. how do you go about killing with this character? smashes seem bad to me. f tilt seems strong but hard to land imo. bair is slow. edgeguarding has been my main source of kills pretty much

Top Bottom