• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

jayaer

Smash Rookie
I don't agree with (spoiler for final smash) as the final smash. Wingo would be better.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I love it.

Also, now that I think about it, I never came here to show off my new signature.

How do you like it, guys?

(psst @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
WHAT WONDERFUL TOAD ARTWORK. /selfish self promotion.

Looks good to me.

Okay, so let's talk about this fun argument;
"The character's company wants them playable in Smash."

It's an argument used by Shantae, Banjo, Rayman and more obscurely Super Meat Boy fans.
Why shouldn't we use it as well?

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/22/nintendos-koichi-hayashida-wants-captain-toad-in-mario-kart/

Here we have Koichi Hayashida state he wants to see Captain Toad in a variety of different games, and although he mentions Mario Kart(a no brainer for Mario characters), this logic could equally apply to Smash.

Particularly when coupled with this infamous image:

and unlike the others, Captain Toad is a first party character. Should we be using this more?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Looks good to me.

It's an argument used by Shantae, Banjo, Rayman and more obscurely Super Meat Boy fans.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/22/nintendos-koichi-hayashida-wants-captain-toad-in-mario-kart/

Here we have Koichi Hayashida state he wants to see Captain Toad in a variety of different games, and although he mentions Mario Kart(a no brainer for Mario characters), this logic could equally apply to Smash.

and unlike the others, Captain Toad is a first party character. Should we be using this more?
In a way, definitely.

There's something called Nintendo EAD-bias, and since those were the ones that created Captain Toad, I think the mushroom explorer has his future set because EAD will shoehorn him in everywhere not unlike Rosalina.

It's the reason Daisy, Wa and others got neglected but Rosalina and the other non-core survived.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Looks good to me.

I honestly cannot stress enough that I think Captain Toad is the most underrated character on these boards.

Also, I will never use anyone else but Captain Toad again if he's included in Mario Kart.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Captain Toad is in it'll finally mean that all 8 of the big Mario players are in, them being,

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario and Toad.

Daisy and Waluigi are often requested but really, they're just side-game filler. Captain Toad is one of two/three characters to be playable in a main Mario game without a playable Smash version, the other being Nabbit/Toads that can jump.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Captain Toad is in it'll finally mean that all 8 of the big Mario players are in, them being,

Honestly this one of the major reasons I want him in. My desire for all the Mario Kart 64 racers. That and Toad has always seemed fairly major to me. That Sakurai doesn't seem to share this view is a little disheartening at this stage.

Side note; when is Nabbit going to appear in Mario Kart? You can keep your costumed/metal/dry/baby variants, I'd rather have characters who have been playable in Mario games in first.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Daisy and Waluigi are often requested but really, they're just side-game filler. Captain Toad is one of two/three characters to be playable in a main Mario game without a playable Smash version, the other being Nabbit/Toads that can jump.
If you don't mind me saying, what about Bowser Jr., who's been around helping his daddy for nearly every game since 2002? Heck, I should actually be bringing up the Koopalings instead, who were big players for the series since 1988-1990!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If you don't mind me saying, what about Bowser Jr., who's been around helping his daddy for nearly every game since 2002? Heck, I should actually be bringing up the Koopalings instead, who were big players for the series since 1988-1990!
Your mileage may vary, but I'm guessing it's in terms of the core crew. Jr could count at this point, but less so the Koopalings who have only just had a (well deserved) resurgence in the Mario series.

There's also the fan term of the "Big 8" which were the characters Guybrush listed there when regarding Mario. It's admittedly slightly out of date since the term was coined prior to Jr's creation.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Add me to the Toad Brigade. Shame that no one's posted on here since April. I think Captain Toad's final smash would be him calling his Toad Brigade in their little mushroom space ship from Mario Galaxy but they just crash onto the stage damaging opponents in an explosion.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Add me to the Toad Brigade. Shame that no one's posted on here since April. I think Captain Toad's final smash would be him calling his Toad Brigade in their little mushroom space ship from Mario Galaxy but they just crash onto the stage damaging opponents in an explosion.

Toad Brigade appearing in some form would be fun, but I'd rather them be referenced in his recolors.

I'd go with Draggadon for his Final Smash.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
@Extremmefan

Continue.

1. Yeah, but I can't imagine it as a double jump or a jump animation. (More like a Up special if you ask me)
2. So, you're saying that a guy who can't even beat a Goomba, who only says "Sorry Mario, but the Princess is in another castle" in a whole game, and who only get his own game MORE THAN 20 YEARS AFTER HIS DEBUT has an IMPORTANT ROLE THAT WOULD GIVE HIM A CHANCE TO BE IN A CROSSOVER FIGHTING GAME?!
3. ... Actually, that just sounds like an "explorer" version of the Villager, or a "more helpless" version of Olimar. I don't think the character has potential.

1. It's a jump with a block below it that dissappears after the jump
2. Yes.
3. Ah, the "one move similar = clone"-card.
Villager plants a tree that acts as a wall.
That's different than planting something that acts as a form of mobility.

And Olimar.
Just.
Why?

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
In a way, definitely.

There's something called Nintendo EAD-bias, and since those were the ones that created Captain Toad, I think the mushroom explorer has his future set because EAD will shoehorn him in everywhere not unlike Rosalina.

It's the reason Daisy, Wa and others got neglected but Rosalina and the other non-core survived.
What about Birdo?

Someone add me to the support list. We're only two or three Mario reps away to having all of the Mario Kart DS roster playable!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Looks good to me.

Hmm.. yeah, now I think I might've overrated Captain Toad's chances if that was the intention of that picture. :S Still would like to see him though.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
OH MY LORDIE ABOVE, DOUBLE POST. I've never played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker or his levels in 3D World so are the puzzles hard. Also I feel like it should be Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.
The first few puzzles are rather simple, as the game eases you in gently...near the end of the game however the difficulty has somewhat of a giant spike as rising lava, poisonous water, falling platforms(remember; you can't jump so you need to move constantly), speed boosts along tiny little pathways that twist and turn and enemies try to finish you off as you desperately try to grab not only the star but the three gems to complete the level.

This isn't impossible, but for a true challenge you're going to want to try and beat Mummy Me Maze Forever, where you must outrun the Mummy Me(Egyptian mummy versions of Toad that follow you like Shadow Mario does in the Mario games) through a maze of 50 levels whilst grabbing treasures along the way.

There are a lot of fun puzzles too though; a homage to the original Donkey Kong, every single time you're in a minecart, the endless pick axe dig stage, and the assaults on Wingo to name but a few.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I posted this in the OCD-thread (har har har), but i wanted to throw it in here:

"One crazy idea I had for Captain Toad was that his Smashes would summon platforms to make up for his poor jump height.
Imagining Up Smash creating a propellor platform that hurts opponents and where Captain Toad can climb on.

His Specials would be creating trampolines to jump on, building minecart rollercoasters to ride on and planting a plucking spot as weapon ammo.
And a Pickaxe to destroy it all if an opponent uses it.

Basically Captain Toad's mobility would be trash, but he has specials and smashes to make a path for him.
Like a puzzl
e."

Now I don't know what kinds of platforms there are in Treasure Tracker, but I think it could be a cool "gimmick".

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So does anyone else think it's strange that Yoshi's Wooly World is for some reason incompatible with the Toad amiibo?

I mean, considering both are essentially Mario characters you'd figure the entire lineup of Mario amiibos would work with the Yoshi game...although why you'd use a Yoshi amiibo on the game to unlock a Yoshi patterened Yoshi is mindblowing.

Dammit Nintendo.

In other (slightly belated) news:

Club Nintendo of Europe has announced a few more rewards for it's last hurrah, including one special must have for any Captain Toad fans:

I have yet to see the figurine lamp, but you can bet it will be INSANELY expensive(probably like 6000+ points) and rare.

Slightly more affordable for the Toad fan though is:

The "Loads of Toads" 3DS theme at 500 points. It's not bad, but I'm holding off on it at current due to the desire of the Captain Toad lamp...urgh...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So does anyone else think it's strange that Yoshi's Wooly World is for some reason incompatible with the Toad amiibo?

I mean, considering both are essentially Mario characters you'd figure the entire lineup of Mario amiibos would work with the Yoshi game...although why you'd use a Yoshi amiibo on the game to unlock a Yoshi patterened Yoshi is mindblowing.

Dammit Nintendo.

In other (slightly belated) news:

Club Nintendo of Europe has announced a few more rewards for it's last hurrah, including one special must have for any Captain Toad fans:

I have yet to see the figurine lamp, but you can bet it will be INSANELY expensive(probably like 6000+ points) and rare.

Slightly more affordable for the Toad fan though is:

The "Loads of Toads" 3DS theme at 500 points. It's not bad, but I'm holding off on it at current due to the desire of the Captain Toad lamp...urgh...
i got that toad theme the other day, doubt ill have enough for the figure

EDIT: hang on, has the toad amiibo been confirmed as incompatible? dot we know all the 40+ amiibos that work with woolly world?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Dunno if this thread is still active, but I would like to be added to the list of Captain Toad supporters.

I just got "the crown" in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (though I still wanna do all of the Time Trials and the Pixel Toad challenges). And it's definitely one of my favourite Wii U games, and possibly my favourite Mario spin-off game (not really counting Yoshi games here, he's his own thing now as far as I'm concerned).

I never really was interested in a generic Toad being a playable character in Smash simply because, outside of "LOUD SHOUTY VOICE" memes that I like to impersonate (I'm a bit of a voice actor), Toads never did anything for me personally - they were much like any other Mario character you could think of. Always happy and pretty much a blank slate that only ever got interesting by trying to force headcanons on them. They had the "scared-y cat" shtick going but Luigi always had that too and ended up developing it much more thoroughly in my opinion.

However, I've always loved Captain Toad since he first debuted in Galaxy. Aside from having an adorably catchy theme and a cute aesthetic with the explorer gear, he's a surprisingly nuanced character with some actual depth to him, and his dialogue in the Galaxy games was always entertaining. And his own game just solidifies him as a loveable character to me. He's easily one of my favourite Mario characters. I'm just a sucker for characters that have a strong sense of agency, ego, and believabity, and Captain Toad ticks all of those boxes for me.

While I do think having a moveset that's both fun and viable is going to be a challenge for him, I think Sakurai could make him work. And honestly, it feels like he's joining Rosalina as a mainstay of the Mario universe going forward, and I hope he does. These two characters were the most memorable things about Galaxy to me. Rosalina was the big one, and she evidently isn't going anywhere, but the little things can matter just as much, and Captain Toad is little, and he matters! Having him in would really complete the Mario representation. And of course we could get a Cadette Toadette alt (I like calling her that shush), and she's become an interesting character with the release of Treasure Tracker too!

So yeah I'm a supporter. Currently the only character I've voted for on the ballot is Rayman, but I plan to do the rounds one day. I'm just leaving it 'til closer to October, so I can have a list of characters I know I definitely want to vote for.

Now I just need to keep an eye out for that Captain Toad figure/lamp from Club Nintendo. And hopefully if I get money at the end of the month, I can buy the Sanei Captain Toad plushies. My Sanei Rosalina and Cat Rosalina plushies need pals.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dunno if this thread is still active, but I would like to be added to the list of Captain Toad supporters.

I just got "the crown" in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (though I still wanna do all of the Time Trials and the Pixel Toad challenges). And it's definitely one of my favourite Wii U games, and possibly my favourite Mario spin-off game (not really counting Yoshi games here, he's his own thing now as far as I'm concerned).

I never really was interested in a generic Toad being a playable character in Smash simply because, outside of "LOUD SHOUTY VOICE" memes that I like to impersonate (I'm a bit of a voice actor), Toads never did anything for me personally - they were much like any other Mario character you could think of. Always happy and pretty much a blank slate that only ever got interesting by trying to force headcanons on them. They had the "scared-y cat" shtick going but Luigi always had that too and ended up developing it much more thoroughly in my opinion.

However, I've always loved Captain Toad since he first debuted in Galaxy. Aside from having an adorably catchy theme and a cute aesthetic with the explorer gear, he's a surprisingly nuanced character with some actual depth to him, and his dialogue in the Galaxy games was always entertaining. And his own game just solidifies him as a loveable character to me. He's easily one of my favourite Mario characters. I'm just a sucker for characters that have a strong sense of agency, ego, and believabity, and Captain Toad ticks all of those boxes for me.

While I do think having a moveset that's both fun and viable is going to be a challenge for him, I think Sakurai could make him work. And honestly, it feels like he's joining Rosalina as a mainstay of the Mario universe going forward, and I hope he does. These two characters were the most memorable things about Galaxy to me. Rosalina was the big one, and she evidently isn't going anywhere, but the little things can matter just as much, and Captain Toad is little, and he matters! Having him in would really complete the Mario representation. And of course we could get a Cadette Toadette alt (I like calling her that shush), and she's become an interesting character with the release of Treasure Tracker too!

So yeah I'm a supporter. Currently the only character I've voted for on the ballot is Rayman, but I plan to do the rounds one day. I'm just leaving it 'til closer to October, so I can have a list of characters I know I definitely want to vote for.

Now I just need to keep an eye out for that Captain Toad figure/lamp from Club Nintendo. And hopefully if I get money at the end of the month, I can buy the Sanei Captain Toad plushies. My Sanei Rosalina and Cat Rosalina plushies need pals.
Added. Welcome aboard the Toad Brigade! Always pleased to see new members with a passion for tracking. If you see Captain Toad's lamp/figurine be sure to tell us all here too. I know I for one would love such a delectable treasure.

Captain Toad and Smash related news now;
I came across an E3 leak for Nintendo suggesting there will be things called 'Theme Packs' which will add a new stage, new music and new trophies to the games. Captain Toad is one of the 'themes' for the Wii U version alongside Bayonetta 2 and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse(both for Wii U) and Codename S.T.E.A.M., Stretchmo and Fossil Fighter Frontier(3DS version).

Of course this is just a rumour so take it with a mountain of salt, but if real do you feel this is good, bad or neutral for Captain Toad as a character?

Source: https://plus.google.com/101808031882874318912/posts/fhyqGGJraya

Top Bottom