• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Likely he would just have a bad jump like little mac, he could still have a decent recovery move with a bad jump, similar to Gannondorf.
Maybe but it goes against his thing IMO. Maybe if something carried him? My idea for his b up would be those platforms you blow on your Wii u game pad screen to move up with minus you actually having to blow on it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe but it goes against his thing IMO. Maybe if something carried him? My idea for his b up would be those platforms you blow on your Wii u game pad screen to move up with minus you actually having to blow on it.
he can have a spring in his backpack

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Actually it's funny you mentioned that MagnesD3, a few people have suggested that rather than having true jumps, little platforms appear that lift him to where he'd 'jump'. There's also the little cannons scattered around that can shoot the Captain into the sky as an option.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Actually it's funny you mentioned that MagnesD3, a few people have suggested that rather than having true jumps, little platforms appear that lift him to where he'd 'jump'. There's also the little cannons scattered around that can shoot the Captain into the sky as an option.
Yeah I feel everything would have to be assisting him when it comes to jumping and recovery, he himself must only shrug on the ground when attempting to jump on his own (aka one of his taunts).

UseHydroPimp

Smash Cadet
My idea for his b up would be those platforms you blow on your Wii u game pad screen to move up with minus you actually having to blow on it.
That could work but wouldn't that be too big? We know how much Sakurai hates big (Ridley). Some people have suggested Para-BiddyBud to carry him up like Megaman's Beat custom move but I also can't see an enemy helping him... Recovery moves are some of the hardest moves to create when thinking of a characters move-set as they pretty much have to bring the character vertically up when other moves can be so much more.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
That could work but wouldn't that be too big? We know how much Sakurai hates big (Ridley). Some people have suggested Para-BiddyBud to carry him up like Megaman's Beat custom move but I also can't see an enemy helping him... Recovery moves are some of the hardest moves to create when thinking of a characters move-set as they pretty much have to bring the character vertically up when other moves can be so much more.
Nothing is too big my freind.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Just curious but how wouldcaptain toad jump for smash? I like the character but ATM don't see his feasability.
Dude his jump disability in his game has nothing to do with smash. Who cares? They'd just allow him to jump. That was mainly just to work with his game's mechanics. So maybe they could add him in with something to retain that with his backpack, but that small factor is the least of my worries. As for up b, why not have a para BiddyBud carry him? It makes sense, he's and adventurer and nobody is gonna stop him from grabbing onto the nearest BiddyBud and ride it. The end of the move could be the BiddyBud getting angry and shaking him off. Makes plenty of sense. Heck, if he had extremely bad jumps, it could be another villager-high up B as well

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Just curious but how wouldcaptain toad jump for smash? I like the character but ATM don't see his feasability.
How would Olimar Jump for smash?
There are plenty of smash characters who don't jump in their source games.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Imo he should either have extremely pathetic jumps or have a weight mechanic that hinders his jump at a high weight.

Also, sorry guys, but I voted for Midna/Wolf Link instead of Captain Toad, primarily because I badly want them, but also because I believe that he will get more than enough votes without my help. ;)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In my personal opinion, I'd suggest they take SOME inspiration from Toad in Super Smash Bros. Crusade. I said SOME to ensure that I also still want some of Captain Toad's moveset to be taken from his source game as well and I just LOVE Toad's moveset in Crusade. One of the most solid things I've ever seen with that game itself. Also, I'd like to point out that I enjoy that the fact that the OP is also updated to include the possible fact that now that alt. skins are now officially a thing in Smash, Toadette, who was Captain Toad's recent co-star, can be an alt. skin for him without it being too out of the blue.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
If Cap Toad had bad jumps but an exceptional recovery like villager's that would make sense. He doesn't seem like a character that belongs with a little Mac tier recovery, even if his jumps sucked. I still stand by Para BiddyBud being a good up b because Captain Toad seems like a character who, being an explorer, would often improvise, and grabbing onto the nearest BiddyBud to get back to solid ground seems to fit. Even if it's odd. But the argument of "Captain Toad cannot jump" is invalid. They idea of a down B backpack mechanic makes plenty of sense to correlate with that, and just supplying him with a very minimal jump will not hurt him or any aspect of his game by any means

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Every time I hear the "Captain Toad can't jump" argument, my mind immediately replies with, "And Pit can't fly".

Let that sink in for a moment.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
My point exactly. If they took that attribute for every character in the game then luigi should be able to wall jump, duck hunt and little Mac shouldn't be able to, and villager shouldn't be able to jump either, I don't think. Where's the logic in that? I think we should stop this reasoning

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Daily reminder to tell you all to Vote for Captain Toad.

Make sure to mention the inclusion of Toadette as an alt, I've seen a lot of people who said they wouldn't want Captain unless Toadette got in as his alt.

Seems fair considering she did 50% of the work in the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game.

Has anyone toyed with the idea of Piranha Plant sprouts being used as a projectile attack?

UseHydroPimp

Smash Cadet
After posting some Captain Toad propaganda posters on Miiverse. Normally I get about 10-25 yeahs which is good for my painting skill (im not amazing and get don't 200+ yeahs a post) and I think I'm gaining us a small amount of votes by posting. The posts normally go like this, I post a Image of some art of Captain Toad (paintings over Toad trophy and Peach's B move) write saying to vote for Captain Toad for Smash Fighter Ballot. But I'm sick off all the people, like a decent amount of people posting saying "But he cant jump" & "How can he be a fighter if he cant Jump". Its really getting annoying, I know its Miiverse full of young ignorant people with no imagination of what characters can be. If people see a artsy post on Miiverse and that's all it takes to get them to vote then Captain Toad has less chance by all the people seeing Captain Toad and immediately thinking "He cant jump" and not voting, then seeing another re-post of an image with good art of Shovel Knight and voting for him. It really lowers his overall chances.Though the voting isn't closed until October so more people could believe.

Last edited:

UseHydroPimp

Smash Cadet
Wait so do we want a Captain Toadette skin or just a Toadette skin? Something else that's interesting is that in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Captain Toad can spin his backpack and it will actually hurt enemies.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I made a bet when this whole DLC thing started. That if any Mario or Zelda characters were DLC, I'd eat my socks. I made one exception, Captain Toad. Godspeed little hero.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Been playing more of Captain Toad and found some moves he (or Toadette) have that can be translated into Smash Moves.

If you spin the analogue stick fast enough C. Toad spins from dizzyness, this actually hurts enemies. If enemies have sprout heads Captain Toad can hoist them just like turnips. Grab attacks maybe?

Speaking of Turnips I'm thinking he's have that one moves cloned from Peach (Like how Charizard's flamethrower is basically Bowser's Fire Breath) but with a few differences. I'm thinking if he uses the attack in mid air he pulls the turnip out of his bag instead.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Copy Pasted from the RTC thread:
Am planning on making a full moveset for Captain Toad.
The Abilities of Captain Toad

Captain Toad is the master of his enviroment.

Pink platforms for pimp slaps, mini minecarts in mazes, turnip traps in turmoil, you name it.

A moveset that revolves around enviroment would be key right?
A moveset that changes the battlefield in one of the levels in Captain Toad.

Here's a moveset for example.

B: Pickaxe
Captain Toad swings with a Pickaxe, destroying the contraptions he made, allowing him to build it again in another place.

Side B: Minecart Track
Captain Toad walks around, laying down a Minecart Track and a Minecart.
The Minecart acts as a Gogoat and can be jumped on.

Down B: Plant and Pluck
Captain Toad first plants a sapling, when pressing Down B again, Captain Toad plucks what he's planted.
Either a Diamond, a Turnip, or a Coin comes out.

Up B: Mushroom Trampoline
Captain Toad places a Mushroom below him.
The Mushroom can be jumped on.

UseHydroPimp

Smash Cadet
Since we're talking about move sets I better give my Ideas. Most of it is repeated/already been said in the sub. I'm not very original.
Neutral Special
Swings backpack behind him
Side Special
Minecart (Bowser Jr. clone, super amour, slower)
Down Special
Turnip Throw (set % unlike peach which is random)
Up Special
Para-Biddybud (MegaMan Beat custom clone)
Final Smash
Captain Toad riding Draggadon breathing fire destroying everything

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hm. I could definitely see the little fellow in. Though I personally think Mario has a rather big lineup already... if any character were to add to it, it would have to be this little guy. (Unless they gave him his own symbol.. like a franchise lol)

Anyways, as a side note... I have a gift for ya.

A little Captain Toad Icon, freshly made.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hm. I could definitely see the little fellow in. Though I personally think Mario has a rather big lineup already... if any character were to add to it, it would have to be this little guy. (Unless they gave him his own symbol.. like a franchise lol)

Anyways, as a side note... I have a gift for ya.

A little Captain Toad Icon, freshly made.
That. Is. Awesome. I'm going to put that in our OP(credited to you naturally).

Top Bottom