• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As a massive One Piece fan I can only say this; Wrong thread.
This. Not to mention Sakurai wouldn't be dumb enough to add anime characters to begin with (Based on his reactions to the Goku and the other ridiculous Miiverse requests in that recent interview).

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So I've gone a little crazy wirh the Toad/Captain Toad voting. I'm preying on people who don't care that much about Smash! (So they don't care who their vote goes to. Lol) I've gotten help from my friends on facebook, and even got my mother and aunt to cast a vote for Toad! I shall not stop until Toad/Captain Toad joins the battle!!!

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I voted for him, Toad is long overdue for his roster slot. Personally I was surprised he wasn't in Melee, how he managed to avoid two games after that is beyond me.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Toad really should have been in Brawl. We shouldn't have to be asking for him now.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
should i vote for toad and captain toad?
Well! I voted for the Captain, mainly because he stands out more than just regular Toad.... But I don't see how Toad (either classic or Captain) getting plenty of votes would hurt. If I worked at Nintendo I'd just clump all the Toad/Captain Toad/Blue Toad votes together!

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Hi. It's been a while. The first character I voted for on the ballot was Toad. I feel like supporting either classic Toad or Captain Toad will get a message across that Toad should be playable in some form. I'll be happy if Captain Toad gets chosen, but I prefer the classic design since I don't want Captain's lack of jumping power to become some huge liability if he does become playable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally I've only been voting for the Captain. I worry that regular Toad may be seen as unfeasible due to Peach's B move, and that he isn't 'a character' in Japan.
good point but i see no harm in voting for both seeing as im voting for a ton of characters

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I entered my vote for Toad/Captain Toad.
In other words, I've identified about 12 devices I can vote on in my home. I'll vote o each just in case repeat votes aren't counted. I'll also vote in libraries as many times as possible. Most of these votes will go to Toad.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There ain't mush room left for niceties when I need to get the message across Blue; that message being; Su-spore-t Captain Toad.

Do it Toad-ay.
Those puns are so Toad-ally ridiculous. I bet that even the average Puffstools would be laughing upon their toadstool chairs. Those spore saps would probably laugh until their isn't mush room to chew with their broken jaws. :colorful::lol:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well! I voted for the Captain, mainly because he stands out more than just regular Toad.... But I don't see how Toad (either classic or Captain) getting plenty of votes would hurt. If I worked at Nintendo I'd just clump all the Toad/Captain Toad/Blue Toad votes together!
Definitely what I would do as well if I was deciding upon the final poll results!

Honestly, we just need some form of Toad to be playable in the roster. Captain Toad offers a refreshing take on the Toads thanks to Treasure Tracker while also distinguishing from Peach's B Move. Though heck - I have no objection to seeing classic Toad even with Peach using another Toad as her special move.

Though I still wish she had Toadsworth as her special. Having Toadsworth strike back as a counter with his cane would be toadally terrific!

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I voted for Captain Toad! I really think that he has a good chance, for the first time Toad is actually a unique character with a ton of moveset potential that hasn't already been covered by Mario, Luigi, or Peach. Even if Sakurai is against just regular Toad, Captain Toad has us covered.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Woo! So a post of mine that I posted on The Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker community on miiverse urging others to vote for the Captain made it to the popular posts section! It only has 10 yeahs and 10 comments, but hopefully that'll get more people to see it and throw a vote towards Toad!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wanna vote for Captain Toad, but I'd rather play his game first before giving out the concise but accurate analysis on how well he'd function in Smash 4 if being implemented.

At least the poll keeps on going until October 10nth.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea of Captain Toad's moveset being based off of using the environment to his advantage, even if he has to create it around him like Nathan Drake made chest-high walls appear in PSASBR.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm afraid I'll have to divert a substantial number of Toad votes, a curve ball has been thrown.
Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, tweeted, and I quote, "I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues."
The pipe dream can become a reality.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm afraid I'll have to divert a substantial number of Toad votes, a curve ball has been thrown.
Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, tweeted, and I quote, "I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues."
The pipe dream can become a reality.
This honestly confuses me though. Wasn't the whole reason Banjo and Conker were replaced in the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing due to Microsoft owning their rights now?

Welp, as long as you do at least one for Toad, I'm fine with whatever.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
This honestly confuses me though. Wasn't the whole reason Banjo and Conker were replaced in the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing due to Microsoft owning their rights now?

Welp, as long as you do at least one for Toad, I'm fine with whatever.
Yes, but Nintendo presumably didn't even attempt to negotiate with microsoft over that.
Banjo and Kazooie would be a 3rd party, but we now know that negotiations between Nintendo and microsoft aren't off the table.
With a big enough show of demand, it could happen.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You know

I never really thought about it until now, but Toad not being in really is a glaring fault.

The character has his own game (actually 2), and he's been appearing in games since 1985. That's 30 years ago; he's older than YOSHI. He's been playable in more than half of his appearances and has specific characters of his species (Toadette, Toadsworth); something Yoshi doesn't have. He's the first character not in Smash to have an amiibo, AND he has MK8 Mii suit. He's been a part of A LOT of Mario merchandise, such as McDonalds toys and more.

but yet

"Lets make him a meatshield!"

Sakurai hasn't even said a reason for not including him. It's already bad enough that his haters are more vocal than his fans.

Like, okay
I get how he might not've been a newcomer in Brawl or Melee, but it's the 4th iteration. The 5th one won't happen until 2020, where Toad will probably have 3 or 4 games.

and I get how you're making your game, of course bias will show
but whenever it's someone like TOAD, you kind of have to put him in at this point...

The bad thing is that people are like "toad never deserved to be in", just because he's Toad. If someone like, say, Dixie Kong/King K Rool/Ridley/Isaac was in this situation with no comments whatsoever on why they aren't a character, it'd be much more of a problem.

It's just

ugh

Only Toad, Captain Toad, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are getting votes from me. Maybe Anna and Tiki.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad why am I not in the support list, i said I supported a couple weeks ago...
Honestly I just forgot to update the supporters list since Christmas. If anyone else hasn't been added yet, feel free to PM me and I will get to it. Just need a kick up the butt.

Our OP could do with an overhaul as well. Any ideas of what to trim? Looking a little heavy there.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I just forgot to update the supporters list since Christmas. If anyone else hasn't been added yet, feel free to PM me and I will get to it. Just need a kick up the butt.

Our OP could do with an overhaul as well. Any ideas of what to trim? Looking a little heavy there.
Thanks for adding! anyway I think it should have more colored tonts and pictures

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Here is a post I made in the banjo thread, but it is applicable here too! Go crazy Toad-friends.
Interesting new technique I found.
By turning a phone's airplane mode on and off, you can change your IP address. If you are so inclined, you can have near limitless risk free votes for Banjo, or whoever else you want! I'd recommend changing a few words each time though, just in case nintendo has a system to detect copy/pastes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm rooting for so many people in this ballot my head is spinning.

I'm mainly torn between the Captain and Banjo though.

Like I've wanted Toad representation FOREVER, but now a childhood favorite is an actual possibility.

My nerdiness has never been more torn guys. NEVER.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

Someone made an image like this, so I thought I'd toad-ify it. I think it looks nice; only things that don't match are some of the alts at the bottom.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm rooting for so many people in this ballot my head is spinning.

I'm mainly torn between the Captain and Banjo though.

Like I've wanted Toad representation FOREVER, but now a childhood favorite is an actual possibility.

My nerdiness has never been more torn guys. NEVER.
I'm not torn at all. I'll be voting for both equally.
Maybe a little more for Toad.
The point is, Don't choose just one. Support both these highly deserving characters.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Dangit

It feels like I'm spamming this thread, but I'm working on this:

I'm going to make Captain versions later; just wanted to get the basics down with normal Toad.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've noticed both Daisy and Geno seem to be getting more attention than the good captain of recent.

I feel we need to rectify this. Daisy currently has pretty much all of Tumblr and Japan behind her, and Geno is inexplicably popular despite being such a minor character.

Meanwhile our character;

• Has his own game
  • Has a bunch of unique properties(weight gimmick, stage manipulation, jump handicap, etc)
  • Is a reoccurring character in the main Mario series.
  • Could also add an additional character alt in Toadette
  • Is inarguably the last big Mario star now he's got his own game.

Any suggestions to how we get some more support behind the Captain, or are the vocal minority going to drown us out yet again?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've noticed both Daisy and Geno seem to be getting more attention than the good captain of recent.

I feel we need to rectify this. Daisy currently has pretty much all of Tumblr and Japan behind her, and Geno is inexplicably popular despite being such a minor character.

Meanwhile our character;

• Has his own game
  • Has a bunch of unique properties(weight gimmick, stage manipulation, jump handicap, etc)

Any suggestions to how we get some more support behind the Captain, or are the vocal minority going to drown us out yet again?
well just have to do everything they only better and more of it

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

Meanwhile our character;

• Has his own game

I'm trying my best to get other people, mainly people who aren't as hardcore smash fans as I am, to vote. We need to get the word out to other gamers. Post on different communities and stuff! Like... there's a webcomic I like and I posted on the comment section there about Toad and I was able to snag him a few votes!
We need something to just go viral for him!!

Or here is an idea. Let's have a bake sale and anyone who votes for Toad/Captain Toad gets a free slice of pie. Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom