• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm just hoping for Toad to have one more game of his own... or have a playable role in a main Mario game... like Super Mario Galaxy 3, New Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 3D Land 2, etc.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think Treasure Tracker deserves a sequel, mainly one with co-op. That was such a missed opportunity.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd honestly like to see Nabbit as the next foil in Treasure Tracker. Even if Wingo returns as the main antagonist, I think a treasure grabbing mini game where you compete with Nabbit would be pretty neat.

Co-Op puzzles, eh? Worked for Portal 2. Let's get Captain Toad and Cadette Toadette(adopting this name since it's cute) to team up for some puzzles. That could be pretty fun.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Captain Toad and Smash related news now;
I came across an E3 leak for Nintendo suggesting there will be things called 'Theme Packs' which will add a new stage, new music and new trophies to the games. Captain Toad is one of the 'themes' for the Wii U version alongside Bayonetta 2 and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse(both for Wii U) and Codename S.T.E.A.M., Stretchmo and Fossil Fighter Frontier(3DS version).

Of course this is just a rumour so take it with a mountain of salt, but if real do you feel this is good, bad or neutral for Captain Toad as a character?

Source: https://plus.google.com/101808031882874318912/posts/fhyqGGJraya
i think that guy was trying to hard

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I personally doubt that leak is real. I'm very hesitant to believe any leak, and I honestly, I don't think the new Starfox will have a subtitle, so seeing all of these leaks forcing random subtitles at the end of "Starfox" kinda just kills them for me. Especially when the subtitles have absolutely no correlation to the game's described themes in these leaks. The only reason games have these one-word subtitles is because the subtitle represents the new gimmick of the game or whatever. Like how Starfox Adventures was called that because it was a Zelda-esque adventure game, and Starfox Assault was called that because it was about staging a literal assault on the Aparoid army and their home colony, and whatever other foes were in the game.

And in general, these list "leaks" generally never turn out true. Normally, E3 leaks are only ever true if they are about one specific game or announcement, like how Kingdom Hearts 3 was leaked before being revealed in one of Sony's E3 conferences.

That being said, I don't think a Captain Toad themed DLC pack would mean anything for the character himself, unless it has him as a background element of the stage or adds him as an Assist Trophy or something to that effect.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I personally doubt that leak is real. I'm very hesitant to believe any leak, and I honestly, I don't think the new Starfox will have a subtitle, so seeing all of these leaks forcing random subtitles at the end of "Starfox" kinda just kills them for me. Especially when the subtitles have absolutely no correlation to the game's described themes in these leaks. The only reason games have these one-word subtitles is because the subtitle represents the new gimmick of the game or whatever. Like how Starfox Adventures was called that because it was a Zelda-esque adventure game, and Starfox Assault was called that because it was about staging a literal assault on the Aparoid army and their home colony, and whatever other foes were in the game.

And in general, these list "leaks" generally never turn out true. Normally, E3 leaks are only ever true if they are about one specific game or announcement, like how Kingdom Hearts 3 was leaked before being revealed in one of Sony's E3 conferences.

That being said, I don't think a Captain Toad themed DLC pack would mean anything for the character himself, unless it has him as a background element of the stage or adds him as an Assist Trophy or something to that effect.
i dont think anyone buys it

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd honestly like to see Nabbit as the next foil in Treasure Tracker. Even if Wingo returns as the main antagonist, I think a treasure grabbing mini game where you compete with Nabbit would be pretty neat.

Co-Op puzzles, eh? Worked for Portal 2. Let's get Captain Toad and Cadette Toadette(adopting this name since it's cute) to team up for some puzzles. That could be pretty fun.
Yes! I like the idea!

I want co-op puzzles... but if there's only one player available, then the ability to switch between Toad and Toadette in co-op puzzles would be nice.

There need to be more modes...

1. Toad vs. Nabbit mode - compete to see who collects the most treasure (solo mode)
2. Toad Brigade Free For All mode - like Toad vs. Nabbit but with Toad, Toadette, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad and it's 2-4 players
3. Toad & Toadette co-op mode (can be both solo or multi-payer)

I also would like the Goomba's Shoe from Super Mario Bros. 3 to come back... and it can give Toad the ability to jump at will. Oh, and maybe the Frog Suit too... and it can give Toad the ability to swim in water in addition to the jumping ability.

This needs to be canon. :awesome:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Almost done with my treasure tracking exploits. Just need to do my Pixel Toad run of Book 3 and I've done everything.

Also I entered a giveaway for a Toad Amiibo. I obviously already have one, but I'm thinking about making a Mummy-Me custom, so I could use the extra Toad.

Anyway, even if he isn't announced for Smash, I hope Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker gets some DLC. I'd rather not have to wait until Wii U modding is in full swing for 3D World/Captain Toad custom levels...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The product weight listed is identical to the Japanese Captain Toad + Toad Amiibo bundle (798g), and is far too much to be an Amiibo of any sort (Bowser is currently the heaviest Amiibo, and he only barely gets by 100g).

As much as I would love an official Captain Toad Amiibo, I don't think this is it.

I still have the lamp and plushies to "track" anyway.

EDIT: If you change the ".de" in the URL to "co.uk", it gives you this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YSXED...UTF8&colid=2NPF9QL6NJ75Q&coliid=IXJ5AC0AXAE73

So yeah I think it's definitely the bundle.

EDIT2:

I've tracked down ALL of the treasures!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The product weight listed is identical to the Japanese Captain Toad + Toad Amiibo bundle (798g), and is far too much to be an Amiibo of any sort (Bowser is currently the heaviest Amiibo, and he only barely gets by 100g).

As much as I would love an official Captain Toad Amiibo, I don't think this is it.

I still have the lamp and plushies to "track" anyway.

EDIT: If you change the ".de" in the URL to "co.uk", it gives you this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YSXED...UTF8&colid=2NPF9QL6NJ75Q&coliid=IXJ5AC0AXAE73

So yeah I think it's definitely the bundle.

EDIT2:

I've tracked down ALL of the treasures!
Unfortunately I think you might be right regarding the Amiibo. The weight evidence alone is pretty damning.

Amazing work on tracking all the treasures though!
I definitely need to pull my finger out and get back to tracking soon. This is putting me to shame.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I've been wondering. Is Toad, Captain Toad? This might seem like a stupid question, but Toad as in the playable Toad in all of the Mario spinoff games. Trying to jumpstart some discussion in this thread.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been wondering. Is Toad, Captain Toad? This might seem like a stupid question, but Toad as in the playable Toad in all of the Mario spinoff games. Trying to jumpstart some discussion in this thread.
I've never considered there to be a single "Toad" that's playable in all of the spin-off games or anything. Nothing in the games implies as such, and there are proven to be many Toads that look identical to "the Toad", so I prefer to think that there is a different Toad in each spin-off game. Like, each playable Toad in each spin-off game is a different Toad that won some sort of contest and they get to play with all of the Mario universe's celebrities as a prize. I know there is probably a random bio or something somewhere that says it is the same guy, but informed characterisation (e.g. "Daisy is a tomboy") is just as worthless as no characterisation to me.

As such, I consider Captain Toad his own distinguished character, like Toadsworth. I imagine he's a bit older than the average Toads we see in spin-offs and stuff.

Also funny that I get a notification for this thread RIGHT as I start a Captain Toad sketch:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I've never considered there to be a single "Toad" that's playable in all of the spin-off games or anything. Nothing in the games implies as such, and there are proven to be many Toads that look identical to "the Toad", so I prefer to think that there is a different Toad in each spin-off game. Like, each playable Toad in each spin-off game is a different Toad that won some sort of contest and they get to play with all of the Mario universe's celebrities as a prize. I know there is probably a random bio or something somewhere that says it is the same guy, but informed characterisation (e.g. "Daisy is a tomboy") is just as worthless as no characterisation to me.

As such, I consider Captain Toad his own distinguished character, like Toadsworth. I imagine he's a bit older than the average Toads we see in spin-offs and stuff.

Also funny that I get a notification for this thread RIGHT as I start a Captain Toad sketch:

I like to think that all the Toads in the spin offs are the same, then when Mario Galaxy started, he became Captain Toad. The scared Toad in Luigi's Mansion is the same Toad (I'm guessing Toad is scared of ghosts).

edit - btw nice Toad sketch so far.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is it too late for me to say that I for one enjoyed everything about Captain Toad? No seriously, the game has some of the best level design out there for any puzzle platformer and I've never experience the original levels on Super Mario 3D World yet. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say that I should have bought my own copy at launch instead of focusing on some Mac.

Anyways, I'm more on board with the ol' Captain than ever after getting a taste of his challenging new adventure. While some can say that the lack of jumping would be a problem, than can easily be solved by either removing his backpack or just adding the jump blocks as means of jumping. Since Wingo himself is pretty cool for a new Mario villain, would it be too much to actually want him as Captain Toad's Final Smash? I just couldn't let my excitement go and it's definitely one of the more innovative Mario spinoffs. :dr^_^:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is it too late for me to say that I for one enjoyed everything about Captain Toad? No seriously, the game has some of the best level design out there for any puzzle platformer and I've never experience the original levels on Super Mario 3D World yet. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say that I should have bought my own copy at launch instead of focusing on some Mac.

Anyways, I'm more on board with the ol' Captain than ever after getting a taste of his challenging new adventure. While some can say that the lack of jumping would be a problem, than can easily be solved by either removing his backpack or just adding the jump blocks as means of jumping. Since Wingo himself is pretty cool for a new Mario villain, would it be too much to actually want him as Captain Toad's Final Smash? I just couldn't let my excitement go and it's definitely one of the more innovative Mario spinoffs. :dr^_^:
Never too late. Glad you're enjoying the game!

Wingo for a Final Smash, eh? That could be interesting, what would you recommend he did?

Also, I did my first photo alteration on the Wii U. I think it's safe to say I'm a far better drawer than I am with the Photo studio:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Never too late. Glad you're enjoying the game!

Wingo for a Final Smash, eh? That could be interesting, what would you recommend he did?

Also, I did my first photo alteration on the Wii U. I think it's safe to say I'm a far better drawer than I am with the Photo studio:

My idea with Wingo would probably be him attacking from the background like the devious crow he is, being a bigger and badder version of Ridley's swooping. This only happens once and it's how he enters the scene since how else would a bird of prey appear (The introduction itself would be Captain Toad cowering with a few of Wingo's features falling down). His foreground attacks would probably be dive-bombing foes with his powerful talons to scrape the competition. I can see this overall lasting for around 5-6 seconds only for for the bird to fly away and Toad sighing in relief.

That actually does look like a nice drawing. I especially like what you did with Toadette in the image.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. My friend hates it when I use the gust bellows on him. So imma ask, if Captain Toad got in Smash would he suck at jumping. (GUST BELLOWS IS THE ULTIMATE FOE)
I would say Toad would have terrible jumps, because in other games even when he doesn't have a heavy backpack, he still has pretty bad jumps... So I'd say... Yeah... His jumps would suck and the gust bellows would be our worst nightmare. Haha!

I'm gonna add my two cents about the Wing final smash.
What if... (Okay, hopefully you guys can understand my way of thinking) ... Let's say Toad jumps into his mine cart and then you can shoot turnips first person style (similar to Solid Snake or Zero Suit Samus' final smashes) And Wingo is behind the stage and Wingo is flapping his wings which messes up the controls of the other players (Maybe makes them move slower?) And then you can shoot turnips out of the mine cart. You can shoot either at Wingo or the other players.... And if you destroy Wingo before the final smash is finished he'll crash into the stage and do massive damage to your opponents. Or you could just attack the other players with turnips, which causes minor damage (but gives you quicker results), but then you sacrifice getting Wingo to crash into the stage.
But you gotta be quick with the turnips to bring Wingo down, otherwise your time will be wasted and no damage would be done to the other players.... So... You gotta decide what works best for you in that final smash..... Does that make sense.... at all?

Haha. Just a thought that popped into my head when we brought up the topic of Wingo as a final smash.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I would say Toad would have terrible jumps, because in other games even when he doesn't have a heavy backpack, he still has pretty bad jumps... So I'd say... Yeah... His jumps would suck and the gust bellows would be our worst nightmare. Haha!

I'm gonna add my two cents about the Wing final smash.
What if... (Okay, hopefully you guys can understand my way of thinking) ... Let's say Toad jumps into his mine cart and then you can shoot turnips first person style (similar to Solid Snake or Zero Suit Samus' final smashes) And Wingo is behind the stage and Wingo is flapping his wings which messes up the controls of the other players (Maybe makes them move slower?) And then you can shoot turnips out of the mine cart. You can shoot either at Wingo or the other players.... And if you destroy Wingo before the final smash is finished he'll crash into the stage and do massive damage to your opponents. Or you could just attack the other players with turnips, which causes minor damage (but gives you quicker results), but then you sacrifice getting Wingo to crash into the stage.
But you gotta be quick with the turnips to bring Wingo down, otherwise your time will be wasted and no damage would be done to the other players.... So... You gotta decide what works best for you in that final smash..... Does that make sense.... at all?

Haha. Just a thought that popped into my head when we brought up the topic of Wingo as a final smash.
Personally I like the idea of Captain Toad calling down the Toad Brigade in the mushroom ship, but the yellow toad is driving and falls asleep, causing it too crash onto the stage.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Personally I like the idea of Captain Toad calling down the Toad Brigade in the mushroom ship, but the yellow toad is driving and falls asleep, causing it too crash onto the stage.
That's a beautiful idea. I like the idea of the Mushroom ship too, but the way I envision it is that it controls in a style similar to Diddy Kong where Toad jumps into the ship and then shoots down stuff at the other players. I picture starbits that are launched, but with Toad's history of Treasure Tracking there could literally be hundreds of options of things to shoot out.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
That's a beautiful idea. I like the idea of the Mushroom ship too, but the way I envision it is that it controls in a style similar to Diddy Kong where Toad jumps into the ship and then shoots down stuff at the other players. I picture starbits that are launched, but with Toad's history of Treasure Tracking there could literally be hundreds of options of things to shoot out.
I just like the idea of one of the Toads in the crew messing up and crashing the ship I guess. Plus it represents another side of Captain Toad.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is super late as I honestly thought I posted this before but...

our boy Toad has finally made his return to the Mario Tennis series after 15 years of being away. It's good to see him pick up a racket again, and even though it wasn't exactly a big fanfare return, that he was one of the first characters shown as playable for this game is a huge plus.

Between this and his first appearance as a playable golfer in Mario Golf, Nintendo seem to be latching on to the fact Toad does indeed have his fanbase who miss him when he's not a playable character.

Let's hope he's a staple in both Mario spinoffs from here on out.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, with the sad news there's only a select few characters left to be included as DLC fighters all of which will be pure fanservice and based off demand, and neither Captain or regular Toad being anywhere near the top ten even does anyone have any campaign ideas to make sure the fungus doesn't miss out on yet another Smash game?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, with the sad news there's only a select few characters left to be included as DLC fighters all of which will be pure fanservice and based off demand, and neither Captain or regular Toad being anywhere near the top ten even does anyone have any campaign ideas to make sure the fungus doesn't miss out on yet another Smash game?
Smashified Live since Smashified tends to be for the harder characters. Its debuting possibly next month.

Just hope that Sakurai thinks about putting Toad in. That's all you can do

For now, we might as well be satisfied with what Sakurai is delivering because he's been doing a good job. Unique DLC characters (Mewtwo is garbage though), patches, updates, here and there.

Let's just hope for the best. Also, pray that Sheik gets nerfed. Not to oblivion though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think there was little fanfare for Toad's return in Mario Tennis because it's not the most popular Mario sub-series to begin with. I myself didn't know they ever omitted Toad either. Regardless, I love how they animated him in the game. He holds the racket like a cricket bat or something.

Oh, and there was also giantess Peach, and just the first good looking 3D model of Peach outside of Smash. (*prays we get Rosalina in a unique sports outfit too...it'll likely happen since she was supposed to be in the 3DS one anyway, but they had technical problems*)

I don't think Captain Toad is out of the running at all. I mean, we don't truly know the state of the ballot - most of the samples we have are an extreme minority, and are from communities with very specific tastes. Do remember that tons of young kids are likely voting on this thing too, and I could see plenty of them voting for Toad/Captain Toad. Especially in the UK.

I don't think Captain Toad is out of the running at all. I mean, we don't truly know the state of the ballot - most of the samples we have are an extreme minority, and are from communities with very specific tastes. Do remember that tons of young kids are likely voting on this thing too, and I could see plenty of them voting for Toad/Captain Toad. Especially in the UK.
That's what I'm wondering. I don't feel like it's finally the time to throw the towel and leave until the next Smash game is announced.

Let's just wait and see

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
This may be totally childish but I'm not paying for any DLC characters that are not Toad. Lol. Toad is literally the only character I want in Smash.... And if someone else gets in over him I know I'll be very, very, VERY salty towards them (Just like I am with Ryu and Roy) I haven't payed for any of these DLC character just because I don't care enough to do so. I only have Mewtwo because he was free for me!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This may be totally childish but I'm not paying for any DLC characters that are not Toad. Lol. Toad is literally the only character I want in Smash.... And if someone else gets in over him I know I'll be very, very, VERY salty towards them (Just like I am with Ryu and Roy) I haven't payed for any of these DLC character just because I don't care enough to do so. I only have Mewtwo because he was free for me!
But there are characters that deserve it *cough cough K Rool and Isaac*

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
But there are characters that deserve it *cough cough K Rool and Isaac*
I do admit that there are characters that deserve a spot (K Rool is a character I've wanted to see for awhile) however, there is no character in existence that I care about more than Toad. Haha! If Toad makes it in, I'd probably happily go and buy the other DLC characters.... but until then I'll be waaay too apathetic towards anyone who is not Toad to wanna pay for them. Haha

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
The term "deserve" is subjective in their case.
King K. Rool - One of Nintendo's most important villains and one of the most recognizable ones. DK is a under represented franchise that needs more content and K Rool will glady fit that bill. K Rool is also literally the top most voted for newcomer (BK don't stand a chance).

Isaac - Golden Sun is one of Nintendo's more successful RPGs (right behind Pokemon and Fire Emblem) and Isaac has been requested for quite some time by a lot of people.

Yes, I do believe our Captain deserves to be in there but I think I can settle with him not being in Smash 4. Now Smash 5, he would be my only wanted Mario newcomer and then I'd say the Mario series is wholly represented (I'm meh on Paper Mario). He'd be a huge newcomer and probably one of the most wanted behind Krystal. I honestly don't see Captain Toad getting in Smash 4 but for Smash 5, I think he's a lock.

Top Bottom