• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah, i just found the rest of the images. http://imgur.com/a/dVidv/all

I don't know how to feel about Misc third party stages.

The Shantae wig angers me greatly.
I hear ya. I'm an IC supporter on the edge right now. Once again, the font is off on the trophy description, so there's hope that it's fake. And plus, if it is fake, it doesn't necessarily mean SK is deconfirmed either, so I'm rooting for the creator to come out soon.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
A good way to see if this is real is to check the official Amiibo website and see if the trophy has any resemblance to his Amiibo description.
Not really. Considering the Mario series amiibo and their Smash series counterparts are different. So a Smash series Shovel Knight amiibo would have a different pose from the existing one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not really. Considering the Mario series amiibo and their Smash series counterparts are different. So a Smash series Shovel Knight amiibo would have a different pose from the existing one.
Actually, I was talking about the description, not the pose. XD

Duskane

Smash Rookie
NNID
Duskane
3DS FC
5386-7118-0052
I dont believe the "leak" if there gonna put him in there Sakurai would probably give him his own stage

It would just be a moving one like Super mario Bros Stage

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I dont believe the "leak" if there gonna put him in there Sakurai would probably give him his own stage

It would just be a moving one like Super mario Bros Stage
Confirmed fake actually.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Is it bad that I actually know the leaker?
You know someone with pretty good skill in modeling and the imagination to capture the imaginations of others with a bit of a mischievous streak to play a prank on the internet that didn't last for over a day or so.

No, it's not bad at all, in fact many of the skills displayed are quite respectable.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Hello Shovel Knight fans.

I have something for you:

This clip reminded me of Shovel Knight, and it's probably my favorite part in the movie (probably the only thing I liked about the movie)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know someone with pretty good skill in modeling and the imagination to capture the imaginations of others with a bit of a mischievous streak to play a prank on the internet that didn't last for over a day or so.

No, it's not bad at all, in fact many of the skills displayed are quite respectable.
The "leaker" wasn't the same as the person who made the character model, though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So today I wanted to share something from @PushDustIn of Source Gaming. A few days ago I was given a list that he compiled using various requests across the internet and logibility. I finished the list, which compiled the most likely characters for Smash DLC. So without further ado, here's the list.

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Waddle Dee (aka: Bandana Dee)
Professor Layton
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) (Second SEGA rep)

These results are obviously unexpected, so if there are any questions or thoughts feel free to share.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It seems unlikely, particularly the third party characters. I can't see them adding in, as the post-ballot characters, two relatively obscure (compared to the third party characters who have already been in Smash Bros.) protagonists from puzzle games.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So today I wanted to share something from @PushDustIn of Source Gaming. A few days ago I was given a list that he compiled using various requests across the internet and logibility. I finished the list, which compiled the most likely characters for Smash DLC. So without further ado, here's the list.

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Professor Layton

These results are obviously unexpected, so if there are any questions or thoughts feel free to share.
I don't recall Arle Nadja even being a blip on the radar in the west. I don't see King K. Rool or Isaac either. If this turns out to be true I will be extremely disappointed with this DLC save Bandana Dee. Why did he chose the characters he did? Arle Nadja isn't even that highly requested in Japan.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't recall Arle Nadja even being a blip on the radar in the west. I don't see King K. Rool or Isaac either. If this turns out to be true I will be extremely disappointed with this DLC save Bandana Dee. Why did he chose the characters he did? Arle Nadja isn't even that highly requested in Japan.
Yeah, King K. Rool and Isaac not being there is....odd, to say the least. I should tell you though while Arle isn't really much of a blip in the West, you, uh....you might want to check those Japan results again for Arle. Apparently, she, alongside Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, and Jibanyan are THE most requested 3rd parties. In Arle's case, it helps that her series sells like hotcakes in Japan. If anything, she's supposedly doing even better (just barely) than Sonic over there.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Professor Layton

Yeah I just don't see it. Wolf makes sense, but the rest are really iffy to me.

Shovel Knight- Sakurai likes to add characters in themes, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted an indie rep, but Shovel Knight? Granted, he's popular, but what about Shantae who actually has a Japan release, or Quote who's more of a legacy indie? Shovel Knight might be the most relevant of the group, but I don't know, he still seems like a stretch.

Dixie Kong- All she has really going for her right now is that whole, "Forbidden 7" thing. Outside of that, her popularity has dropped off like a rock, and she's never been the most popular choice in the DK series anyway (obviously K.Rool). She seems to be seen as a unanimous "safe" pick, and I'll never understand why.

Bandanna(Waddle) Dee- I can see this character being a huge beacon for casual votes (casual-friendly character design from a casual-friendly series), but I still don't see it as a likely pick. The character just seems to be too... generic for Sakurai to consider as DLC right now. I know that's bound to get some negative attention, but Waddle Dee is just a common enemy character, and I don't think that's what he's going to go for when he considers DLC. Bandanna Dee can fix this, but with big names like Isaac, Wonder Red, and the Inklings, it's not like he exactly outclasses many of the other choices in terms of importance.

Professor Layton- This is a weird one, and if the likeliness is based off of the VA on IMDB, I'd drop this altogether. Anyone can edit that, it's almost certainly fake. Layton is popular, but so is many more important 3rd parties like Rayman, and Bomberman, and I don't see him taking precedence over them. He may not even be the most likely choice from his own company, I mean Jibanyan is huge in Japan, and is the face of a much bigger series. Layton would be cool, but I don't see him being at all likely.

Arle Nadja- I'm a supporter, so it hurts me to say this, but really? Once again, it'd be amazing, but we're talking about likeliness here right? Outside of Japan, she has little to no presence, and once again it's not like she's doesn't have any company as far as other 3rd party choices are concerned, who happen to have popularity in both the West AND Japan (seriously Bomberman people). When did 3rd parties become uber likely anyway? Half of the choices are third party on this list, Nintendo isn't just doing DLC to make fans happy (or else it would be free), nope they do it to make money, and borrowing outside IP's is sure to cut into their profit margin. The only way I see ANY 3rd party as likely is if: A) Advertisement for a new game coming to Nintendo exclusively, B) Sakurai wants to "represent" something (traditional fighting games, indies, etc...), or C) the company is paying Nintendo to put their character in the game. I don't see how Arle Nadja would fit in any of these categories.

So yeah, I think that their will be 4 more characters, and if I'm being honest with myself, they won't all be great.

-I see Wolf because there is literally no reason not to. He fits literally every reason to pick a DLC character, the only reason he wouldn't make it is Sakurai bias. I don't see Sakurai being THAT petty, so I'm almost certain Wolf will make it.
-I feel like the Chorus Kids are the last pre-planned characters that will make it. There's evidence they were planned, and I doubt they'd just scrap all that work for no reason. I'm very meh on this one, but DLC is likely.
-I'd probably say Isaac will be one of the "ballot winners". He can be easy to make, because his model is very similar to FE characters, so he can borrow animations. He's from a previously unrepresented series, and has been a consistently popular pick for years now who's sure to be near the top of the ballot, while also having a move set that can bring something new to the game, which is apparently important in Sakurai's eyes. Almost a lock.
-The other "ballot winner" will probably be Paper Mario. He comes from (debatably) the biggest unrepresented series Nintendo has, and has a large fan base to back him up. Not only that, but he has a new release coming out in M&L Paper Jam which makes him all the more relevant. The only pick out of the bunch I personally am truly against.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's an idea for Shovel Knight, what if he had moves based on many other indie games?
Perhaps giving Shovel Knight the Polar Star from Cave Story for a U-Air or giving Shovel Knight a few of the dances from Shantae as taunts, or giving him Max's gun from Mutant Mudds. I think that's the only way I could accept Shovel Knight as a character more TBH, a little bit of everything we like about indie games.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's an idea for Shovel Knight, what if he had moves based on many other indie games?
Perhaps giving Shovel Knight the Polar Star from Cave Story for a U-Air or giving Shovel Knight a few of the dances from Shantae as taunts, or giving him Max's gun from Mutant Mudds. I think that's the only way I could accept Shovel Knight as a character more TBH, a little bit of everything we like about indie games.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wouldn't put any stock in source gamings polls at all when it comes to the ballot's results. Some random fansite's poll isn't going to represent the results of something as big as the ballot...

We don't even know how Sakurai will choose the character. He might be going by series, giving Pokemon and Sonic giant boosts, or he might just pick a decently popular character with a moveset he likes. I'm already confident that they won't show us the results whatsoever.

What's this about Issac being easy because his model is similar? That's not how it works... Unless you want a blond Roy alt.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
If Sakurai-San was choosing based on his own opinions or franchise representation, then there wouldn't be a fighter ballot to begin with.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If Sakurai-San was choosing based on his own opinions or franchise representation, then there wouldn't be a fighter ballot to begin with.
I see one heck of an advertising strategy... That's most likely why the ballot exists. Not once has Nintendo said there would even be a winner. They could pack up and just say nothing when they release the next character if they wanted to, they're under no obligation to pander to fanbase assumptions.

Combining votes for characters from the same series is unreasonable? How so?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I see one heck of an advertising strategy... That's most likely why the ballot exists. Not once has Nintendo said there would even be a winner. They could pack up and just say nothing when they release the next character if they wanted to, they're under no obligation to pander to fanbase assumptions.
If Nintendo opens a ballot and then completely disregards the results, that'll only get them bad rep. Besides, Sakurai-San has said that from here on out, it's "purely fan service" or something along those lines in an interview, implying that he'll be going off of what the fans want. Hence, the fighter ballot.
Combining votes for characters from the same series is unreasonable? How so?
Firstly, that's not at all what you were saying, and what I was saying was unreasonable.

It is, though, since they're separate characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I wouldn't put any stock in source gamings polls at all when it comes to the ballot's results. Some random fansite's poll isn't going to represent the results of something as big as the ballot...

We don't even know how Sakurai will choose the character. He might be going by series, giving Pokemon and Sonic giant boosts, or he might just pick a decently popular character with a moveset he likes. I'm already confident that they won't show us the results whatsoever.

What's this about Issac being easy because his model is similar? That's not how it works... Unless you want a blond Roy alt.
You could quote/tag me if you wanted an answer you know? This http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/26/the-end-of-the-pre-ballot-content/ article may clear up some of the confusion on the Isaac statement. Pretty much what I'm saying is, his model can be very close to FE characters and as such, many animations can be borrowed.
Please no. If SK was to make it in, he'd have enough moves to easily fill out his kit, PLUS customs. If we're going to do a character like the one you suggested, might as well be Commander Video or Meatboy who don't have a ton of actual moves of there own.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If Nintendo opens a ballot and then completely disregards the results, that'll only get them bad rep. Besides, Sakurai-San has said that from here on out, it's "purely fan service" or something along those lines in an interview, implying that he'll be going off of what the fans want. Hence, the fighter ballot.

Firstly, that's not at all what you were saying, and what I was saying was unreasonable.

It is, though, since they're separate characters.
If Nintendo gives us a character and claims they were from the ballot, how will we know they won or not?

He's called his choice of characters a fan-service before... Namely how he comes up with unique movesets that anybody can enjoy.

You could quote/tag me if you wanted an answer you know? This http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/26/the-end-of-the-pre-ballot-content/ article may clear up some of the confusion on the Isaac statement. Pretty much what I'm saying is, his model can be very close to FE characters and as such, many animations can be borrowed.

Please no. If SK was to make it in, he'd have enough moves to easily fill out his kit, PLUS customs. If we're going to do a character like the one you suggested, might as well be Commander Video or Meatboy who don't have a ton of actual moves of there own.
Meh. I'm tired of lazily made characters.

And I disagree. SK is just another swordsman as far as Smash goes... A bunch of swings and generic projectiles, a less generic one that'd almost be a carbon copy of Wario's Bike, an AoE move (probably Dsmash material), invincibility (don't see it represented as anything but his dodges like with Palutena), and two offensive air dashes with little to separate them from most other side specials. Even if he stole a bunch of stuff from the other knights, that's still ordinary Smash stuff.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Dude what? Borrowing hurt animations, something that no one really notices in the first place, doesn't make a character lazily made. Even borrowing attacks isn't lazy if enough tweaks are made (seriously Mario, Luigi, C. Falcon, ZSS, Kirby, Pac-Man, Ganondorf, and Dr. Mario all have the same basic uair, but they're all tweaked to make them different from one another) to make them work differently. It's just time/cost efficient to do things this way, almost ALL characters share some type of similarity with one another for this very reason. In fact, I can't think of any character that doesn't share something (base model, animations, attacks) with another character. If it was done any other way, we'd probably still be stuck at 20-30 characters.

Outside of his model, Isaac would be one of the most original characters in the game. He can make rocks fall from the heavens, the earth quake below him, and summon giant swords to attack from the sky. I'd be fine with his model to be close to another characters, even Isaac borrowing a few animations for all of that.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
If Nintendo gives us a character and claims they were from the ballot, how will we know they won or not?
I dunno, maybe because Nintendo is a rather honest company that wouldn't lie or deceive it's consumers?
He's called his choice of characters a fan-service before... Namely how he comes up with unique movesets that anybody can enjoy.
Context is key here:
Sakurai said:
There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in development even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now on, it is going to be fan service
(translation by Source Gaming)

He talks about the bracket and demand for characters, then mentions fan service right after. This implies that by "fan service," Sakurai-San means demand for fighters, which is measured by the ballot.

Also, you'll have to provide evidence to back up your claim.
Which ones? I don't see any.
And I disagree. SK is just another swordsman as far as Smash goes... A bunch of swings and generic projectiles, a less generic one that'd almost be a carbon copy of Wario's Bike, an AoE move (probably Dsmash material), invincibility (don't see it represented as anything but his dodges like with Palutena), and two offensive air dashes with little to separate them from most other side specials. Even if he stole a bunch of stuff from the other knights, that's still ordinary Smash stuff.
I beg to differ. While some of the items may admittedly cover ground already treaded by other Smash characters, I feel that they're not even needed. A shovel does have quite a bit of unique potential compared to a sword. The most obvious application is in digging. Digging could be interpreted in quite a few ways; for example, burying opponents or digging up treasure like he does in his game. Heck, why not hoist up boulders by digging them up for an anti-air option?

The DuckTales-esque pogo bounce maneuver could also lend itself to unique gameplay. While yes, Link does have that as a dair too, Shovel Knight could focus on it. Perhaps bouncing sends the opponent upwards for Shovel Knight to follow up with an aerial, or can extend the time opponents are buried for.

Here's another mechanic that's a bit more out there. Remember that gem-digging move I mentioned earlier? Well, those wouldn't just function like ordinary projectiles. Once they land, Shovel Knight could pick them up and add them to his gem stash, like in his game. They'd have a use, of course. You know how in Shovel Knight, when you die, you lose your gem stash and these gem bags float around where you died? In Smash, he could make these at will at the cost of some gems. Then he could use them in various ways -- bounce opponents off of them for combos, bounce off of them with the pogo maneuver for recovery, knock them into opponents, et cetera.

After that, the standards are rather easy to fill out while still retaining unique behavior. Rather than going into detail here, I'll direct you to a post I made rather recently that goes in-depth regarding the concepts I discussed here as well as fleshing out the rest of his moveset.

So yeah, I'd say he has moveset potential. :p

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dude what? Borrowing hurt animations, something that no one really notices in the first place, doesn't make a character lazily made. Even borrowing attacks isn't lazy if enough tweaks are made (seriously Mario, Luigi, C. Falcon, ZSS, Kirby, Pac-Man, Ganondorf, and Dr. Mario all have the same basic uair, but they're all tweaked to make them different from one another) to make them work differently. It's just time/cost efficient to do things this way, almost ALL characters share some type of similarity with one another for this very reason. In fact, I can't think of any character that doesn't share something (base model, animations, attacks) with another character. If it was done any other way, we'd probably still be stuck at 20-30 characters.

Outside of his model, Isaac would be one of the most original characters in the game. He can make rocks fall from the heavens, the earth quake below him, and summon giant swords to attack from the sky. I'd be fine with his model to be close to another characters, even Isaac borrowing a few animations for all of that.
Issac wouldn't be easy to make if he only took a handful on animations... I was under the assumption he'd be cobbed together like Mii Swordfighter and Roy were.

Creating giant vertical hitboxes isn't new. That's what Pika and Palutena are for.

I dunno, maybe because Nintendo is a rather honest company that wouldn't lie or deceive it's consumers?

Context is key here:

(translation by Source Gaming)

He talks about the bracket and demand for characters, then mentions fan service right after. This implies that by "fan service," Sakurai-San means demand for fighters, which is measured by the ballot.

Also, you'll have to provide evidence to back up your claim.

Which ones? I don't see any.

I beg to differ. While some of the items may admittedly cover ground already treaded by other Smash characters, I feel that they're not even needed. A shovel does have quite a bit of unique potential compared to a sword. The most obvious application is in digging. Digging could be interpreted in quite a few ways; for example, burying opponents or digging up treasure like he does in his game. Heck, why not hoist up boulders by digging them up for an anti-air option?

The DuckTales-esque pogo bounce maneuver could also lend itself to unique gameplay. While yes, Link does have that as a dair too, Shovel Knight could focus on it. Perhaps bouncing sends the opponent upwards for Shovel Knight to follow up with an aerial, or can extend the time opponents are buried for.

Here's another mechanic that's a bit more out there. Remember that gem-digging move I mentioned earlier? Well, those wouldn't just function like ordinary projectiles. Once they land, Shovel Knight could pick them up and add them to his gem stash, like in his game. They'd have a use, of course. You know how in Shovel Knight, when you die, you lose your gem stash and these gem bags float around where you died? In Smash, he could make these at will at the cost of some gems. Then he could use them in various ways -- bounce opponents off of them for combos, bounce off of them with the pogo maneuver for recovery, knock them into opponents, et cetera.

After that, the standards are rather easy to fill out while still retaining unique behavior. Rather than going into detail here, I'll direct you to a post I made rather recently that goes in-depth regarding the concepts I discussed here as well as fleshing out the rest of his moveset.

So yeah, I'd say he has moveset potential. :p
I'm sorry, "this is the fighter we picked from the ballot." Easy, no lies at all.

He's always talked about fan demand, and how the most popular picks don't always make good fighters.

A few cute animations a character does not make... A simple anti-air option is a simple anti-air option. The pogo would be a simple Brawl Toon Link/Greninja Dair or hopelessly unsafe on hit. Making the pogo a combo option would be ridiculous if he had any horizontal control whatsoever. Villager has a shovel, and it's really just a short sword that shoves people into the dirt. We have basically every kind of stun move possible... Making a character revolve around the mechanic would be redundant.

Digging up gems is a glorified Chef from G&W. The money bags don't really make sense as a trap, and making it usable in both 1v1s and FFAs would be quite difficult knowing Samus and her charge shot.

What we have so far is just another swordsman with a trap that'd be nearly impossible to use. I'm not impressed.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Issac wouldn't be easy to make if he only took a handful on animations... I was under the assumption he'd be cobbed together like Mii Swordfighter and Roy were.
My original point is putting his model together would be much easier. That's it. Reason why he's more likely than K.Rool or any character that has a very unique body shape. Isaac does not, and that helps his case, which is why I said he's highly likely to be in, and nothing else.
Creating giant vertical hitboxes isn't new. That's what Pika and Palutena are for.
If it helps, he can also make rocks rise from the ground too.

Either way, no one's saying you have to like it, the only reason we're having this conversation is because you said "that's not how it works" in terms of ease of making a character, in which it very clearly does. That's all that matters in the context of my original post, so really the point has been made. Isaac is likely, that's it.

Now for the sake of the thread being about Shovel Knight, I'm going to spot posting about Isaac here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My original point is putting his model together would be much easier. That's it. Reason why he's more likely than K.Rool or any character that has a very unique body shape. Isaac does not, and that helps his case, which is why I said he's highly likely to be in, and nothing else.

If it helps, he can also make rocks rise from the ground too.

Either way, no one's saying you have to like it, the only reason we're having this conversation is because you said "that's not how it works" in terms of ease of making a character, in which it very clearly does. That's all that matters in the context of my original post, so really the point has been made. Isaac is likely, that's it.

Now for the sake of the thread being about Shovel Knight, I'm going to spot posting about Isaac here.
The character model is the easiest part of development. Its an awful comparison. The model isn't what makes a character difficult, its the moveset itself and balancing. People can create models incredibly easily, let alone a massive company like Nintendo.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The character model is the easiest part of development. Its an awful comparison. The model isn't what makes a character difficult, its the moveset itself and balancing. People can create models incredibly easily, let alone a massive company like Nintendo.
Ease was poor word choice, but it is quicker and cheaper yes(?), making it all the more likely, at least in comparison to a character that has nothing to work off of.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm sorry, "this is the fighter we picked from the ballot." Easy, no lies at all.
If Nintendo made a ballot to let fans decide the next Smash character and then chose one that got very few votes instead of the more voted for ones, that counts as deceptive in my book. Unless all the top picks happened to be Goku, Shrek, etc, which I seriously doubt. :p

Plus, I don't see why Nintendo would want to even pull something like that in the first place. Choosing the least popular fighters ain't gonna help you sell more DLC.
He's always talked about fan demand, and how the most popular picks don't always make good fighters.
I don't see that example I asked for. I will pay no heed to unsubstantiated claims.
A few cute animations a character does not make...
Correct, which is why I listed more than animations.
A simple anti-air option is a simple anti-air option.
The boulder was more to demonstrate the unique potential of a shovel from an aesthetics standpoint. It could have some neat quirks to it though, such as the boulder growing if you charge the move and thus dealing more damage, but being slower too (as I touched on in my post).
The pogo would be a simple Brawl Toon Link/Greninja Dair or hopelessly unsafe on hit.
Actually, it would function quite differently. It's more along the lines of Link's; rather than a stall-then-fall, this simply creates a hitbox below Shovel Knight for as long as the button is held. Furthermore, the attack would be much quicker than Link's as you can exit out of it at any time by simply releasing the button, giving it much more comboing utility and making it an overall safer option.
Making the pogo a combo option would be ridiculous if he had any horizontal control whatsoever.
How so? If you read my post that I linked to previously (which I don't get the impression that you have), Shovel Knight does retain movement during the bounce, but since his opponent can DI, he has to react and move in the same direction.
Villager has a shovel, and it's really just a short sword that shoves people into the dirt.
Yes, because the Villager only uses it for one move, and for its basic function. Shovel Knight, naturally, would use it for multiple purposes.
We have basically every kind of stun move possible... Making a character revolve around the mechanic would be redundant.
How so? It's only redundant if another character shares this purpose. Burying isn't exactly the main focus of the moveset I presented, though. It's a useful tool that comes up in a couple of moves and ties into the rest of the moveset well, but it's not the main focus.
Digging up gems is a glorified Chef from G&W.
...with a unique mechanic tied to them, yes. They have a different place in the playstyle than Chef does -- since Shovel Knight needs to collect the gems off of the ground, the move serves to clear the way for Shovel Knight to run over and collect them, possibly with his Side Special or something. Shovel Knight can't just camp with gems all day, since to make good use of the move, he'll need to charge into the front lines himself.
The money bags don't really make sense as a trap, and making it usable in both 1v1s and FFAs would be quite difficult knowing Samus and her charge shot.
How so?
What we have so far is just another swordsman with a trap that'd be nearly impossible to use. I'm not impressed.
I don't see how it'd be "nearly impossible to use." Care to elaborate?

---------

On the subject of Isaac, sharing animations etc isn't really gonna improve his chances all that much. It'd make him a tad easier to make, sure, but they can do that stuff quickly enough anyways.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
On the subject of Isaac, sharing animations etc isn't really gonna improve his chances all that much. It'd make him a tad easier to make, sure, but they can do that stuff quickly enough anyways.
Fair enough, I was under the impression that characters that borrow animations and other stuff were always more likely due to cost and time factors, but if it's not a big deal so be it. I still think he's a likely choice, as he has yet to get the dreaded mii costume, he's still very very popular, and he has a great move set to work with.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The problem is that Isaac would probably be 100% original. He doesn't and shouldn't share animations unless he's a clone, which he won't. The only plausible newcomer that could and likely would is Dixie Kong.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The problem is that Isaac would probably be 100% original. He doesn't and shouldn't share animations unless he's a clone, which he won't. The only plausible newcomer that could and likely would is Dixie Kong.
If Ryu shares his pain animation with Shulk, why couldn't Isaac share some animations with other characters?

Last edited:
Top Bottom