• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Do you guys think it's better it's better to move this to a new threat about Shovel Knight's moveset potential?
Yeaaah... to me this is starting to look more like a Character detracting thread than a character support thread...

Why do we even need to HAVE a discussion on something so trivial?

If Shovel Knight DOES get in smash, it won't matter what speculation we do. Sakurai and his team will be setting up the moveset. I think some people are forgetting these are the people that balanced a 50+ character roster in the first place...

I'm pretty sure if Sakurai can pull a unique moveset out of thin air for a character that previously fished and caught bugs his entire life, I'm sure he can make a moveset for a character that's actually capable of fighting in his game...

It doesn't matter what unique movesets people come up with. The speculation is fun, and it's engaging.. but there's no sense in arguing over them when they will not hold water to the real thing we get. It also doesn't matter how much we try to measure the merit of this stuff... because we aren't the ones that are going to be working on and balancing these characters. That's the job of Sakurai and his team. So, can we please just shut up about it, so we can see this thread do what it's intended to do? Ya know?... "Support"?... The discussion is stale.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You know who else has a great combo game and projectiles? Sheik. Don't need another, even just from a balance standpoint.
I don't see how being good at both comboing and ranged play A) makes a character just like another with those attributes (from what you're implying), or B) is inherently imbalanced.
How many full characters lack gimmicks? None. He needs one.
A) I provided multiple unique mechanics for Shovel Knight.
B) :4charizard:,:4dedede:,:4diddy:,:4dk:,:4fox:,:4greninja:,:4myfriends:,:4kirby:,:4luigi:,:4mario:,:4pikachu:,:4pit:,:4samus:,:4sheik:,:4yoshi:,:4zelda:,:4zss:,:4falcon:,:4metaknight:,:4ness:,:4rob:,:4wario2:, and :4mewtwo: don't really have "gimmicks." But then, it depends on your definition of "gimmick," if you could clarify there.
Nope, somebody literally said that a shovel would be more interesting then a sword.
From a visual perspective, I agree. From a gameplay perspective, I also agree. Digging stuff is more interesting than slashing stuff. In my opinion, anyways.
Because he absolutely lacks a new and coherent moveset. I've been saying the entire time that having a shovel =/= having a unique moveset.
Odd, I thought I just posted one...
The gems idea doesn't work because of balance,
How so?
and (previously) SK lacked a way to get the opponent to the gem bags. That's not coherent.
He can make them wherever he wants. He can bring the sacks to the opponents. Or, he could use his projectiles to force an approach.
You know why we're going around in circles? You're looking at what I say separately instead of the whole. Character uniqueness is very important, but one or two moves doesn't instantly make a character unique. They need to have a completely different gameplan from everybody else. Not MK with poor ground movement, not Marth with a lame projectile, not Link but jumps higher. Some ideas can legitimately be too hard to balance... Look at Ridley.
Shovel Knight's gameplan is to mix up-close and ranged play. He uses his projectiles to keep opponents away while he harvests gems, and his good aerial mobility helps that. He's also good up close, especially once he's gotten gems, strategically placing the sacks to combo, while still saving some to recover more effectively. He places constructs down on the stage (which by itself isn't very common in Smash), which don't do much by themselves, but are instead used to compliment and enhance Shovel Knight's already-existing strategies. Nearly every move is built around this central playstyle, and for a specific purpose. If that's not "coherent," then I'm not quite sure what is. Anyway, in short, he's a mix between zoning and up-close fighting. I don't see how he's Meta Knight with poor ground movement, or at all like Marth or Link other than basic move concept similarities (which is present in literally every character in the game; it's not the attacks that matter, but how they're used). Again, I ask you: Which Smash Bros. character plays like this? I have yet to receive an answer.
It's interesting... Actually, it's looking much better then before. I like the idea of keeping his projectiles limited to certain situations, although you still need to keep things somewhat conservative. Mobile Gear + Flare Wand would probably be too good unless Flare Wand had a bunch of endlag, but then if it had the endlag then it wouldn't be safe anymore. Perhaps if SK's crouch was that one pixel squat and he still held the wand at a normal height then it wouldn't be a problem.
The starting lag of the Mobile Gear might mitigate this, as well as the predictability of the strategy. But, like all things in theoretical moveset making, it's hard to say without being able to actually see it in action.
But now the gem bags are the problem again. Now that SK has good projectiles, he can camp all too easily below it. It needs to be easily removed somehow, to the point where even Little Mac can actually get in. Either that or his up-close game needs to suffer, and that'd put him back in the Link/Duck Hunt territory. So then if they're easily removed, then grabbing gems becomes too much effort for not much reward. Which then puts him somewhere around Pit, but from the sounds of it he'd just be better because he can force approaches more strongly and up close he's much more potent. Something's gotta give, but if it does then he's going to end up like somebody else.
A couple of solutions. Firstly, like in my moveset, the gem sacks can be knocked away by attacks. Not destroyed, just gotten out of the way. Secondly, unlike in my moveset, they can be rolled behind. Now, they still have the same utility for Shovel Knight, but opponents have an easier time dealing with them when he's not using them for comboing, recovering, et cetera. It'd weaken his camping game, sure, but that may be needed due to how much he benefits from playing keepaway. But I dunno.
Not many characters can camp without projectiles... Sonic's the only one that can on a decent stage.
Not sure how this relates to the post you quoted... :p

Anyway, I won't continue this discussion much longer. I agree that this is bringing a bit of a negative tone to the thread, and I apologize for that. :ohwell:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No. Chrom was in the exact same camp as Alph and Dark Pit. He would of been filler. Yes, he would of been playable if things went differently, but as an in-between of Marth and Ike like you said. I have no reason to believe that he was going to be anything more then a faster Ike with Marth's specials... Probably the only reasons he didn't make him playable was because Lucina was easier (matching Marth's frame) and more popular. I have no reason to believe Sakurai consider a unique moveset for him. Had he been playable he'd be just another swordsman like Lucina, and absolutely nothing more.
Being in between Marth and Ike =/= being an exact clone of one with the other's stats. Plus, like I said, Sakurai outright said he developed a moveset for Chrom. "Made," not "transferred another onto." But this is about Shovel Knight, not Chrom, so if you wish to discuss him you can do so elsewhere.

The issue with all of this is that you're thinking with false dualities. For you, it's either that a character's completely, groundbreaking-ly unique, or they're gonna be a clone and not worth adding. You don't need a gimmick. Hell, look at the four DLC characters we have now. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy came back for one reason only: fan demand. Ryu, not as much fan demand, but notability over all. That guy's a legend. But still, 3/4 have been popular requests.

Now, I'm not a Shovel Knight supporter (still haven't played the game and would rather have others, but he does seem like a neat and likable guy), but even I can see that he's, indeed, popular. Not every character needs to be Shulk or Rosalina or Olimar. Palutena didn't end up a Marth clone due to a long weapon, nor did Shulk end up an Ike clone, nor Villager a Game and Watch clone due to both summoning items, nor Mega Man a Samus clone due to both having an arm cannon.

Now if my memory serves me right, you had a problem with Ryu before his reveal, saying that he'd be utterly boring if his Specials were just the Shoryuken, Hadouken, and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. That he'd be made redundant with Mario. But nowadays anyone who has eyes can tell you the two play nothing alike, superficial similarities be damned. And that's not even taking into account the whole additional moves thing, because in all honesty Ryu's "gimmick" isn't even a gimmick; he just has a few extra moves. His specials are still the "boring" ones you yourself detested to begin with. By your accounts Sakurai should have rejected him. But here we are.

Making comparisons to Marth or Ike or Link, or what have you, is meaningless, especially since Sakurai does take into account aesthetic differences. And by and large, shovels and swords have aesthetic differences.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Munomario777 Munomario777 If you want to end it, then we'll end it. No hard feelings to the SK support crew.

Being in between Marth and Ike =/= being an exact clone of one with the other's stats. Plus, like I said, Sakurai outright said he developed a moveset for Chrom. "Made," not "transferred another onto." But this is about Shovel Knight, not Chrom, so if you wish to discuss him you can do so elsewhere.

The issue with all of this is that you're thinking with false dualities. For you, it's either that a character's completely, groundbreaking-ly unique, or they're gonna be a clone and not worth adding. You don't need a gimmick. Hell, look at the four DLC characters we have now. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy came back for one reason only: fan demand. Ryu, not as much fan demand, but notability over all. That guy's a legend. But still, 3/4 have been popular requests.

Now, I'm not a Shovel Knight supporter (still haven't played the game and would rather have others, but he does seem like a neat and likable guy), but even I can see that he's, indeed, popular. Not every character needs to be Shulk or Rosalina or Olimar. Palutena didn't end up a Marth clone due to a long weapon, nor did Shulk end up an Ike clone, nor Villager a Game and Watch clone due to both summoning items, nor Mega Man a Samus clone due to both having an arm cannon.

Now if my memory serves me right, you had a problem with Ryu before his reveal, saying that he'd be utterly boring if his Specials were just the Shoryuken, Hadouken, and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. That he'd be made redundant with Mario. But nowadays anyone who has eyes can tell you the two play nothing alike, superficial similarities be damned. And that's not even taking into account the whole additional moves thing, because in all honesty Ryu's "gimmick" isn't even a gimmick; he just has a few extra moves. His specials are still the "boring" ones you yourself detested to begin with. By your accounts Sakurai should have rejected him. But here we are.

Making comparisons to Marth or Ike or Link, or what have you, is meaningless, especially since Sakurai does take into account aesthetic differences. And by and large, shovels and swords have aesthetic differences.
On Sakurai's Miiverse, I believe, he said that Lucina had gotten in over a different character. Not hard to see who, hm? So then Chrom would of been made with all the effort (sorry, "effort") Lucina had.

Looking at the current Marth and Ike, there's honestly not a lot of difference. Ike was made weaker but faster in Smash 4, Marth more powerful but slower. Not a whole lot of playstyle differences, but there's enough though. The Marths, Ike, Roy (well close enough) and the Pits are all considered to be in the swordsman architype where there's a lot of zoning and usually outranging the opponent. We've already got the whole spectrum of swordsmen, from the strong and slow to the fast and safe. Another... Doesn't really fit. No amount of healing (been done already anyway) or other weapons is going to change that.

Mewtwo really isn't popular in Smash because his moveset is so dull and underwhelming... Everybody expected something big and new, but nope. It's a shame transformations don't work, or maybe he'd have his megas as a gimmick... Lucas is both a clone and could of been ported from Brawl (still couldn't be bothered to give him his own item animations), and Roy is extremely cloney. Seems more like most of the DLC so far were just characters they could beat out for a quick buck.

Palutena didn't end up like a swordsman because she barely uses her staff. Gee, almost like they were avoiding something... Shulk is literally a worse Ike with Monado Arts. Villager could of really been put into a number of playstyles, and honestly there's still a ton of ideas that could be used on another AC character. AC lends itself to having a lot of potential because these characters aren't fighters. Samus could of had a moveset strictly about shooting, but she didn't. Presumably because they didn't want to make her broken and they couldn't afford to make something weird at the time.

That was my initial "lolfake" reaction... I'd think you of all people would know how many dumb leaks there's been. After that I did some research into him and saw a few things that'd work, although what I got wasn't expected either. I imagined it'd be something involving a super gauge, but instead he's a touch of death character. Short range, poor recovery, but deals a ton of damage and kills quick. It's actually pretty funny when you think about it... Regardless this isn't relevant to the discussion and rather low brow for a mod.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
A'ight then. But I will say one thing:

Palutena isn't another sword user because she isn't focused on her staff, as you say in your post. Similarly, SK (at least my inkterpretation of him that I posted earlier today) doesn't focus on the shovel -- at least, not as a weapon similar to a sword. Many moves use other relics, or more unique things using the shovel (as opposed to normal sword-like swings).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Munomario777 Munomario777 If you want to end it, then we'll end it. No hard feelings to the SK support crew.

On Sakurai's Miiverse, I believe, he said that Lucina had gotten in over a different character. Not hard to see who, hm? So then Chrom would of been made with all the effort (sorry, "effort") Lucina had.
To my knowledge he's never said this.

Looking at the current Marth and Ike, there's honestly not a lot of difference. Ike was made weaker but faster in Smash 4, Marth more powerful but slower. Not a whole lot of playstyle differences, but there's enough though. The Marths, Ike, Roy (well close enough) and the Pits are all considered to be in the swordsman architype where there's a lot of zoning and usually outranging the opponent. We've already got the whole spectrum of swordsmen, from the strong and slow to the fast and safe. Another... Doesn't really fit. No amount of healing (been done already anyway) or other weapons is going to change that.
I disagree about the "whole spectrum" being covered, but again, not the Chrom thread.

Mewtwo really isn't popular in Smash because his moveset is so dull and underwhelming... Everybody expected something big and new, but nope. It's a shame transformations don't work, or maybe he'd have his megas as a gimmick... Lucas is both a clone and could of been ported from Brawl (still couldn't be bothered to give him his own item animations), and Roy is extremely cloney. Seems more like most of the DLC so far were just characters they could beat out for a quick buck.
Dull and underwhelming as his moveset may be, that's just as opinion. The fact is many, in fact I'd say most, don't care: they just wanted Mewtwo back because they like the character. Not a lot of people expected a complete overhaul. Sakurai outright said that Lucas and Roy came back due to fan demand.

Palutena didn't end up like a swordsman because she barely uses her staff. Gee, almost like they were avoiding something... Shulk is literally a worse Ike with Monado Arts. Villager could of really been put into a number of playstyles, and honestly there's still a ton of ideas that could be used on another AC character. AC lends itself to having a lot of potential because these characters aren't fighters. Samus could of had a moveset strictly about shooting, but she didn't. Presumably because they didn't want to make her broken and they couldn't afford to make something weird at the time.
Barely uses her staff? All three of her tilts, one or two aerials, her jab, and Auto Reticle and Counter utilize it, making the only sets of moves that avoid it her grabs (rather obvious as to why) and her Smash attacks (and even then you can argue that the beam of light in her Up Special is made by her staff). And Shulk is absolutely not "just a worse Ike with Monado Arts." Whereas Ike focuses on getting big, lumbering hits with high power, Shulk focuses on reach and adaptability. The styles are completely different.

That was my initial "lolfake" reaction... I'd think you of all people would know how many dumb leaks there's been. After that I did some research into him and saw a few things that'd work, although what I got wasn't expected either. I imagined it'd be something involving a super gauge, but instead he's a touch of death character. Short range, poor recovery, but deals a ton of damage and kills quick. It's actually pretty funny when you think about it... Regardless this isn't relevant to the discussion and rather low brow for a mod.
I'm sorry if what I said offended you or something else to be considered low brow, as I truly didn't mean it as such. I meant it more as an example of expectation vs reality type of thing. However, I do think that it's relevant to bring up, as it showcases how something that's rather redundant on paper can become something more in execution. And in theory, wouldn't that still make Ryu not worthy as opposed to noteworthy, since Little Mac could also be considered a touch of death character? Kills quick, high power, short range, low recovery? Just some food for thought.

Though, as you noted above, if you'd like to drop this that's fine too. I'd be fine with doing so as well.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To my knowledge he's never said this.

I disagree about the "whole spectrum" being covered, but again, not the Chrom thread.

Dull and underwhelming as his moveset may be, that's just as opinion. The fact is many, in fact I'd say most, don't care: they just wanted Mewtwo back because they like the character. Not a lot of people expected a complete overhaul. Sakurai outright said that Lucas and Roy came back due to fan demand.

Barely uses her staff? All three of her tilts, one or two aerials, her jab, and Auto Reticle and Counter utilize it, making the only sets of moves that avoid it her grabs (rather obvious as to why) and her Smash attacks (and even then you can argue that the beam of light in her Up Special is made by her staff). And Shulk is absolutely not "just a worse Ike with Monado Arts." Whereas Ike focuses on getting big, lumbering hits with high power, Shulk focuses on reach and adaptability. The styles are completely different.

I'm sorry if what I said offended you or something else to be considered low brow, as I truly didn't mean it as such. I meant it more as an example of expectation vs reality type of thing. However, I do think that it's relevant to bring up, as it showcases how something that's rather redundant on paper can become something more in execution. And in theory, wouldn't that still make Ryu not worthy as opposed to noteworthy, since Little Mac could also be considered a touch of death character? Kills quick, high power, short range, low recovery? Just some food for thought.

Though, as you noted above, if you'd like to drop this that's fine too. I'd be fine with doing so as well.
I'll drop it, but a few more things before I leave.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ke_it_into_super_smash_bros_for_wii_u_and_3ds Sakurai says that Chrom wasn't special enough to be his own character, (as in his own "unique" moveset) but brought in Lucina because she was already a costume. Since we know Chrom was planned and he's implying Lucina was more fit for inclusion then he was, (responding to the outrage,) doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that Chrom was only ever going to get in as a clone or otherwise a hodgepodge. I mean, he literally calls him "just another swordsman." Never planned for him to be anything but.

Day 1 of Mewtwo I was hearing more complaints about his weight and how bad he was then anything else. Mewtwo board was a nightmare, with multiple complaint topics talking about how he should of been. To the day people are still complaining about how he sucks and that you have to pay extra for him. Even though he was free DLC for many I've seen him the least of any DLC character online. Go ahead and poke around the Mewtwo boards and see for yourself.

Three tilts, jab, nair, counter. Nothing else uses it as a blunt weapon. Uair's her halo, Dair and Fair are kicks, Bair's her shield. Doesn't help that the tilts suck besides Dtilt, but on 1.0.0 it sure did. Nair's okay, Dtilt's fairly useful now, counter is trash even for a counter's standards, Ftilt is somehow even more trashy, Utilt is okayish, and the jab is good but only the first hit. Most of the moves involving the staff are short ranged, even. If anything they were trying to keep her from playing like a swordsman at all by keeping the staff attacks to a minimum.

Little Mac doesn't really have combos, or ways to combo into kill moves. (Besides Dtilt KO Punch lol.) He's just got powerful attacks. He also gets in easier too, thanks to the speed. Dorf would probably be a closer comparison, but even then he's noticeably more powerful then Ryu and lacks combos.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'll drop it, but a few more things before I leave.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ke_it_into_super_smash_bros_for_wii_u_and_3ds Sakurai says that Chrom wasn't special enough to be his own character, (as in his own "unique" moveset) but brought in Lucina because she was already a costume. Since we know Chrom was planned and he's implying Lucina was more fit for inclusion then he was, (responding to the outrage,) doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that Chrom was only ever going to get in as a clone or otherwise a hodgepodge. I mean, he literally calls him "just another swordsman." Never planned for him to be anything but.

Day 1 of Mewtwo I was hearing more complaints about his weight and how bad he was then anything else. Mewtwo board was a nightmare, with multiple complaint topics talking about how he should of been. To the day people are still complaining about how he sucks and that you have to pay extra for him. Even though he was free DLC for many I've seen him the least of any DLC character online. Go ahead and poke around the Mewtwo boards and see for yourself.

Three tilts, jab, nair, counter. Nothing else uses it as a blunt weapon. Uair's her halo, Dair and Fair are kicks, Bair's her shield. Doesn't help that the tilts suck besides Dtilt, but on 1.0.0 it sure did. Nair's okay, Dtilt's fairly useful now, counter is trash even for a counter's standards, Ftilt is somehow even more trashy, Utilt is okayish, and the jab is good but only the first hit. Most of the moves involving the staff are short ranged, even. If anything they were trying to keep her from playing like a swordsman at all by keeping the staff attacks to a minimum.

Little Mac doesn't really have combos, or ways to combo into kill moves. (Besides Dtilt KO Punch lol.) He's just got powerful attacks. He also gets in easier too, thanks to the speed. Dorf would probably be a closer comparison, but even then he's noticeably more powerful then Ryu and lacks combos.
Hackers may've found evidence that Chrom may've at one point been playable in the game, although his playstyle was suposedly in between Marth and Ike.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hackers have found evidence that Chrom may've at one point been playable in the game, although his playstyle was suposedly in between Marth and Ike.
No they didn't. If they did, we all would have known about it. There is no solid evidence that Chrom was anything other than heavily considered, rather than actually planned

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No they didn't. If they did, we all would have known about it. There is no solid evidence that Chrom was anything other than heavily considered, rather than actually planned
His model fits perfectly into Marth and Ike's skeletons, even though Chrom is slightly taller than Marth and slightly shorter than Ike, not to mention his higher polygon count than most NPCs, it's mostly speculation but there is evidence, and Sakurai never stated if Chrom was or wasn't playable, only that he was considered, so it's possible. However as I stated before, this is speculation.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Okay... Nothing stopping them from making the model before they decided against making him playable. If they just made the model with the intent to use him in either situation... Then you can't say he was ever playable.

Even then, we have similarly detailed models of characters that wouldn't of ever been playable, like Proto Man, and the model swap thing could even put the cheap looking Blaziken model over Captain Falcon. Do you really think Blaziken was planned?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So, what do you guys think of Plague of Shadows? I didn't even realize it was out yet, and I'm a little shocked about how little I've heard about it. There's a distinct lack of hype that is somewhat worrying. It may be a free update, but if the second major project Yacht Club has done is getting forgotten this quickly, it can't bode well for the IP...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, what do you guys think of Plague of Shadows? I didn't even realize it was out yet, and I'm a little shocked about how little I've heard about it. There's a distinct lack of hype that is somewhat worrying. It may be a free update, but if the second major project Yacht Club has done is getting forgotten this quickly, it can't bode well for the IP...
Actually, it was hyped up with trailers and stuff iirc. Perhaps you accidentally missed some stuff? Not to mention as you said, it's merely a free update. I'm certain YCG would build more hype when making things that they're charging money for

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Actually, it was hyped up with trailers and stuff iirc. Perhaps you accidentally missed some stuff? Not to mention as you said, it's merely a free update. I'm certain YCG would build more hype when making things that they're charging money for
I saw a couple reviews of it and trailers for it. But I'm more talking about community hype. I haven't seen anyone talk about it since release. I don't even know anyone who's downloaded it. I'd just think such a massive content patch, with a new character and new mechanics, would have garnered some notice. But I haven't heard anything. Is it fun? How does it compare to the main game? Why hasn't the internet caught ablaze with love for it the way they did the original?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I saw a couple reviews of it and trailers for it. But I'm more talking about community hype. I haven't seen anyone talk about it since release. I don't even know anyone who's downloaded it. I'd just think such a massive content patch, with a new character and new mechanics, would have garnered some notice. But I haven't heard anything. Is it fun? How does it compare to the main game? Why hasn't the internet caught ablaze with love for it the way they did the original?
Maybe you weren't looking in the right places, not to mention I know some people are salty about the Shovel Knight rumor to the point that they dislike SK and aren't hyped

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I very much prefer Plague Knight's campaign to Shovel Knight's. Just moving around and doing things is much more fun, and it isn't perpetually easy like Shovel Knight's because he doesn't get two free heals and easy invincibility. His challenge mode is much more fun too, since his loadouts can vary so much. Against Tinker Knight for example, you come in one hit away from death but you have the leeching potion equiped. I'm on the Wii U version, and switching bombs for the situation is quick and easy. Although, it would of been nice to use the extra buttons as additional bombs so I don't need to switch all the time...

The bosses... Well, the Shovel Knight fight managed to be even more rubbish then the Plague Knight fight. At any given moment he's either got god-mode reaction times or as dumb as the dirt he digs. (Bit ironic though, his AI has trouble with holes.) The other bosses end up being really easy or really hard. King, Specter, Polar, Tinker (he was already really easy anyway) and Mole feel pretty trivial, but then the wandering heroes and the... Final bosses are really hard. Propeller manages to be both. In his stage it's like heck because one hit and you're going to be offstage once he blows open the floor. But then in the boss rush he's pretty easy once you learn to not chase him all the time.

Hoping Specter gets a better balance and doesn't break half the bosses. Credits imply he's up next... Hoping he'll ditch the magic meter for earning more skills and moves like Zero in Megaman, but then King could be like that too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
AnonymousMoon presents:

http://strawpoll.me/5805865

A thrilling poll of choice and sacrifice
As much as I love Shovel Knight, Ridley, Isaac, and Inklings.
I dont feel anyone except King K Rool,Dixie Kong, or Wolf deserves it more than them; Ridley in particular just really should get in, he would make so many people happy.

Also, Brinstar Depths and I do like Inkling.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Hoo boy, This is sort of a touchy subject to me and before you get your pitchforks and torches to burn down my house... Hear me out.

First off, I haven't exactly played Shovel Knights game yet, I do know it's fairly recent. As when I found out about the game it was from this video dated in 2014. I will admit, It's a nice looking little game, And I do intend to try it out at some point in the future. It makes me think of Mega Man mixed with Mario and a bit of Dig Dug/Mr. Driller and I actually do quite think the character himself seems kind of interesting.

Now, Would I like to see him in Smash? Umm... I would, but I think he should sit out for Smash 4? Why? Well he's a Third Party that is just far too new, I know people will bring this up on the Inklings but here's a thing... Splatoon is Nintendo for that matter, Shovel Knight really... isn't. And he hasn't really had much of a history built up with the Big N yet. It's kind of why I think a character like Giana should get in more but that doesn't mean I 'hate' Shovel Knight or do not want him in Smash at all.

I think he would be perfect in Smash 5 for that matter, But at the very least I think he at least deserves a Mii Swordfighter Costume for 4. Now again, I am not trying to cause any flamewars. Though I am trying to give my personal thoughts. I think this character would fit wonderfully, but at the same time: all third parties have had a history with Nintendo for quite some time. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man... So any newborn Indies are kind of out of the question for right now at least to me.

If he does get in now... It would just rub me the wrong way honestly, And it really wouldn't make sense.

Please don't hurt me....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hi Shovel Knight fans. I'm a little late to
the party but I support Shovel Knight hope he gets in.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Inb4 KenniththeGatherer makes a new thread.

Top Bottom