• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
This is like...********...why is it so hard to create so many characters....Im questioning this guy and his whole picture for this game....why cant you return all the characters, why is it such a struggle youve got plenty of time to work on this game....and hes gonna try to slow the game down? what the hell is that? The games Gotta be fast paced...screw this guy. The way hes talkign 26 was naearly impossible for them to get last time, dont expect anymore this time...maybe if hed spend a little less time tlaking about it with us hed be able to fill a roster of a repectable 35 or more.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
I have some general knowledge of programming, and trust me; adding characters to a video game is more work then 'Poof!'

First, there's the ideas and drawings on paper.
Then, all the hard code has to be added.
Then, a model has to be made.
Then, animations have to be made.
Then, the process of making attacks balanced has to be done.
Oh, and don't forget debugging the character.

That doesn't look like a lot, but many hours/days/weeks goes into each one of those steps.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
All these posts about "please don't take away Pichu, Young Link, etc..." Dudes, even if they keep those characters they will not be the same as in Melee. Even if you get your wish and Young Link is in Brawl, chances are he will not play the same way he does in Melee and then you'll still *****.

I want every character to play entirely differently so it's like I'm getting a whole new game, not Melee 2.0 or something. McFox is right-on with everything he's saying.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
I think what he was trying to say was that there won't be a rediculous amount of new characters, like doubleing the amount of characters now. Hopefully that is what he ment... >_> But I am going to try to trick myself into beliving there won't be as many characters so I can be suprised.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Exactly. I seem to be in the minority here, but I DON'T want Super Smash Brothers: Melee: Again! SSBMA would be a fun game, but it wouldn't be a NEW game.

PITforREV said:
This is like...********...why is it so hard to create so many characters....Im questioning this guy and his whole picture for this game....why cant you return all the characters, why is it such a struggle youve got plenty of time to work on this game....and hes gonna try to slow the game down? what the hell is that? The games Gotta be fast paced...screw this guy. The way hes talkign 26 was naearly impossible for them to get last time, dont expect anymore this time...maybe if hed spend a little less time tlaking about it with us hed be able to fill a roster of a repectable 35 or more.
1) You're talking about the genius that CREATED the SSB series, and directed both games.
2) See my above point. They are REDOING/REVAMPING (his own words) most of the characters. This is so that Brawl will be a NEW game, and not SSBMA. If they do this, it would take basically as long to redo all the characters as it would to make completely new ones, because they have to make sure the new characters work with the old ones.

Duh.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Ferro De Lupe said:
People claim that Bowser is almost as popular as Mario. The truth is that he IS as popular as Mario; most people just don't realize it. The same can be said about Luigi.
I do believe, then, by definition, Bowser and Luigi are *not* as popular as Mario. You just proved yourself wrong.

Edit: McFox, I do think, though, that Mewtwo has a much higher chance of being cut than you think, especially for a new pokemon. He has potential, yes, but I think there are better choices for there to be in the game than Mewtwo. The problem with putting him in is like putting Suicune in - great pokemon, but it has to be toned down, and thus, has a chance of being toned down *too* much. Besides, I think there are better pokemon out there with a wider moveset that allows for more creativity for the Devs. One idea I like is Eevee - each costume is a different evolved form, possibly with different attacks (or at least the same attacks but when you do them one is on fire, or water, or whatever).

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
McFox said:
Okurama, wow.

They will not be cutting character on the basis of tiers, which are FAN created. Duh. Bowser and Mewtwo are likely to return.
i already know tiers are fan made (you don't see tiers in nintendo home page, so wtf, am not that dumb). though thanks fr the las the comment ^.^

and just t keep on topic, maybe sheik will disapear (ohh no is this guy crazy) , don't come conclusions just yet, but maybe since she has no updated form and zelda does, is more lightly for her to be cut (or give her, well her own space), anyway just my opinion, don't jump on me hating me for that, "just post what you think about this removing or cutting the characters think", then well i though of that, enogh said.

but really, am sure sakurai is cutting characters for the best, his doing for us (well for the players in the world in general) why should we say, don't cut that dude, if it is atleast to bring a good game in this world, like i said, if some dudes (am not saying who) get cut, well mybe someone will get pissed, so what, your not going to not buy the game justbecause your main is not in it, whats the big deal finding some new dudes, like the newcomers or just take mario, link, what to i know, surely this game is just for fun, why should plp get pissed of uhh........heck you understand what am trying to say.

RoyalLance

Smash Apprentice
Antioch said:
jiggs and mewtwo are key assets to representing pokemon as much as pikachu and meowth are.
Meowth is not much of key character in the franchise IMO. A few better examples of a which creatures in the game are would be would be Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard (which tend to stand out more than Venusaur and Blastoise).

But I don't think we can judge predict which Pokemon will be in Brawl based on their status in the franchise (except for Pikachu, for obvious reasons). The three Kanto powerhouses are a very big part of the franchise and they have yet to enter Smash realm as selectable characters.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
RoyalLance said:
Meowth is not much of key character in the franchise IMO. A few better examples of a which creatures in the game are would be would be Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard (which tend to stand out more than Venusaur and Blastoise).

But I don't think we can judge predict which Pokemon will be in Brawl based on their status in the franchise (except for Pikachu, for obvious reasons). The three Kanto powerhouses are a very big part of the franchise and they have yet to enter Smash realm as selectable characters.
it's not about opinions in the matter of a more popular candidate.
it's a matter of facts, and the fact is meowth is a well-know represenstative of the anime series when it comes to pokemon.

venusaur, blastoise, and charizard are known and well-liked in the games.
never had they a role in the anime where they shined as much as meowth.

you see pikachu and meowth every ep of pokemon.
mewtwo was the first villian of the first pokemon movie.
jiggs is a reoccuring lone pokemon in the series we see quite often, and her sing/marker is something every pokemon fan knows of.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
McFox said:
30 characters is a pretty pessimistic view on the number of characters. It won't be significantly more, but hopefully it would be closer to 35.
You forget,there are already 25 chars,and they have shown us 5 more.That would only leave 5 new unlockables!!!!!from SSB64 to SSBM,there was a char jump of what,at least 10(too lazt 2 count).Being so,only 5 new would be very dissapointing.This is assumong no char removals.There is no reason to remove ayone.So,mock and ridicule me for saying so,but you only have until some time in 2007.

burrito

Smash Lord
Falco&Victory said:
You forget,there are already 25 chars,and they have shown us 5 more.That would only leave 5 new unlockables!!!!!from SSB64 to SSBM,there was a char jump of what,at least 10(too lazt 2 count).Being so,only 5 new would be very dissapointing.This is assumong no char removals.There is no reason to remove ayone.So,mock and ridicule me for saying so,but you only have until some time in 2007.
Do you even know what the whole point of this thread was? Maybe you should read it first.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
To discuss character removals,and as I said,I believe all chars will stay.This means you can argue with me until 2007,when you are proved wrong,like I did with 3rd party characters and Metaknight being in the game.All characters have different styles,because the clones are tampered (weight,strenght,recovery, speed,balance,traction,etc.)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
SamuraiPanda said:
"Here is a quick version of what Sakurai said at the bottom in response to a person complaining that SSBM is too fast: "Don't worry, the speed of the game will "be moderated" a little bit.
Complained that it was TOO FAST, McFox... that was my whole reason for worry... the part before what you quoted to me earlier.

burrito

Smash Lord
Falco&Victory said:
To discuss character removals,and as I said,I believe all chars will stay.
The point of the thread was to get across the factual information that Sakurai said that not all off the original Melee characters will be back in Brawl.

dorkandproudofit

Smash Cadet
Noypi_GjD said:
Oh gawd... I would want all of SSBM characters to stay, but if I was going to cut some of 'em it'd be:
-Doc
-Pichu
-Roy
...maybe Y.Link

Everyone else seems essential >.> and Falco and Ganon... oh gawd... Paranoia is going to hit the forum :o....

I hope they don't get rid of Captain Falcon, Zelda, or Fox... if they do, they will definitely have a consumer backlash.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Vulpine51
But here he is saying that the amount of characters they created last time was a difficult feat that theyre going to try to achieve again.
That's why I find some of these translations hard to believe. I think that maybe some of the things he's saying are being misworded a little when translated. I find it hard to believe they would make a sequel that has less characters then the last game. I can understand them possibly removing some of the old characters, but after adding new ones they should have more then 26.

JPW
Marth and Roy I reckon these guys will be replaced with up to date Fire Emblem Characters.
I think Marth has a good chance at staying just because he's one of the most popular characters in Melee, & Sakurai seems to try to listen to what the fans want.

JPW
I guess Pichu is a definite from everyone. lol.
I'm going to laugh if they get rid of characters but still keep Pichu. They could, for all we know he's Sakurai's favorite Pokemon or something. That could be why he got in Melee. If you think about it, they could have just as easily made Raichu the Pikachu clone, so what made them go with Pichu in the first place?

It would be even funnier if the took out Pichu, but added Plusle & made him exactly the same as Pichu was in Melee. If I was making the game I'd do that just to mess with all the Pichu haters. They'd think "Oh good, Pichu's gone!!!" Then they'd unlock Plusle & get mad.

DiXy
The speed 'moderately' adjusted? Does this mean wavedashing, teching and L-canceling will be adjusted ?
We don't know, we're not psychic.

Lord_Deathborne
It's kind of a rule of thumb for a fighter game to have MORE characters with each new edition.
Exactly, taking out some of the old characters is one thing. But it's completely stupid to have less characters total then the last game did.

=TF=Omega
This is.... disheartening.

I don't think this is a wise decision on Nintendo's part, partly because the people who play with the "dissappearing" characters, which could be ANYBODY'S character, will most undoubtedly be angry. They should keep all 26 in there in my opinion, even if they still have the same dag-nasty (possibly cloned) moveset, if only to keep the fans happy.
Fighting games do that all the time, you just have to deal with it. Think of it this way, if a character you like is taken out, that makes it more exciting if they bring that character back in the next Smash. In that last Mortal Kombat game that brought back characters that hadn't been in a MK game since MK Trilogy in 1996. That made some of those returning characters even more exciting then the brand new characters, because their fans hadn't seen them in a while.

All the characters will change to at least some extent anyway, so even if your best character returns there's no guarantee you'll still be as good with them.

McFox
But your point is completely invalid. There is definitely, without a doubt, AT LEAST 1 more character we don't know about. Because Sakurai is taking suggestions for characters after the trailer is released, we know they're adding AT LEAST 1 more, and of course there'll be more than just one more character.
According to Wikipedia(which means it's possibly not true), they're revealing more new characters in the July edition of Nintendo Power magazine.

Kokichi
Aye, and so much for speculating that just about anyone could be in. Granted, everyone does seem to have a fair shot, but we'll now have to be realistic and accept that probably the more obscure characters won't make it in.
Well, I still say Cranky Kong should be in.

SamuraiPanda
so I think he is actually going to make the clones into full-fledged characters with their own movesets, and/or greatly altered movesets.
That reminds me of something. He did, supposedly, say that some of the clones would be given new move sets. So that means out of Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu, & Roy, at least one or more of them will definately be returning.

Bowser85
This news will not sit good with the DKU guys. Their fear that DK will be removed may come true.
DK is the main character of his games, & the DK games are very popular. I seriously doubt they'd remove him.

dracleath
I think we'll probably see doctor mario just be an alternate outfit for mario. Young link(or cell shaded link or whatever) will just be alternate for link.
Well they already confirmed Zero Suit Samus as a NEW CHARACTER(NOT A COSTUME). So if they were planning on doing away with the idea of using alternate versions of the same character they wouldn't have added her. I think Dr. Mario has a good chance at staying in, & if not then it's very possible we could see a new version of Mario replace him. Why would they have two versions of Samus & not use two versions of Nintendo's mascot?

dracleath
Falco and ganondorf will probably get their own movesets or at least get a different B move or two.
I think Falco is one the characters that could be potentially removed from the game. I hope not though, I like Falco.

burrito
I'm sure he'll just be removing clones. He's definitely not removing G&W, since he is a big part of Nintendo's history and has a creative moveset.
I think G&W will be cut just to make room for a new "WTF" character, like Sheriff or Wild Gunman. The whole reason they put G&W in last time was for shock value, & now that he's already been in the game once he doesn't really achieve that.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Falco&Victory said:
To discuss character removals,and as I said,I believe all chars will stay.This means you can argue with me until 2007,when you are proved wrong,like I did with 3rd party characters and Metaknight being in the game.All characters have different styles,because the clones are tampered (weight,strenght,recovery, speed,balance,traction,etc.)
That's why I always recommend reading the first post before jumping into a topic like you know everything.

Sakurai has said some characters will not be returning. "Definitely."

Even IF the translation wasn't top-notch (and it seems fine to me, although obviously I don't speak Japanese), the word "definitely" is pretty clear.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Ok,i see i was wrong,and i admit it.Ridicule me.However,the point i tried to make is either many character would have to be removed,or several more added.I am sure there will be more than 35 characters.Probably 40

burrito

Smash Lord
freeman123 said:
According to Wikipedia(which means it's possibly not true), they're revealing more new characters in the July edition of Nintendo Power magazine.
Does anyone have the current issue of Nintendo Power to confirm this?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Well, I just got the July issue of PC Gamer, so the Nintendo issue should be coming in soon.

Wow. Hopefully that's true.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Magazines are released to subscribers so that you'll get an issue no later than early in the month the month before the month of the magazine IE You'll get the July issue no later than June 5th.

At least that's how Nintendo Power worked when I was subscribed.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
McFox said:
The Wii is an entirely new system, and Brawl is a completely new game. Even though the control scheme is similar to Melee's, everything about the game should be NEW. It's a NEW game! If you want to play Melee, then just play Melee.

Personally, I hope they change everything.

If they change everything, and the game turns out to suck (seriously unlikely, considering who's working on the game), we can still play Melee.
My thoughts exactly; thank you.

burrito

Smash Lord
I seem to remember when I was subscribed that I got the issue of the monthe for that month, but I probably just have a horrible memory.

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, as long as the characters I use don't get cut I'll be fine. >.>

I also think Ness may get cut. He's the only Earthbound character in and Nintendo may just take him out and wait for Mother 3 characters. Marth will probably be replaced with Ike [they're clones in Fire Emblem], and Roy IMO should be scrapped and replaced for Lyn. I trust Sakurai with Smash. I hope he makes the right decisions.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
At burrito: Ya, Nintendo Power just changed to this system within the last year to year and a half.

Anywho...I dig this whole some characters might bite it idea...I like to play all of the characters in games...just 'cause, really. I like the whole idea of this being a new game and not just a rehash, too. I think we have to consider this game a "sequel" or something if they make don't just add and actually cut back and modify. So yeah.

I checked around for info on that stuff in the July issue of NP...it just shows the cover with a little circle in the upper left corner saying "Wii have Smash Bros.! First look." I can't find anywhere that says "new characters revealed."

I like how Wikipedia says, "Nintendo Power magazine has confirmed that in their July 2006 issue, they will confirm more characters, however who they are is not known." Yeah...I doubt it would be worth mentioning if we knew...<.<

And stuff.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion.

RoyalLance

Smash Apprentice
Antioch said:
it's a matter of facts, and the fact is meowth is a well-know represenstative of the anime series when it comes to pokemon.
I almost forgot Pokemon had a show. :-P

Meowth's appearence in the show (and the fact he has a vocabulary in the show) may be enough get an appearence in the game. But you must admit Charizard did have some moments in the early parts of the show.

As for which Pokemon will be selectable in Brawl, still hard for me to guess.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think there will be at least forty characters. I think the translation is not wrong, but being taken the wrong way. The director said that it was hard to get 25 characters in smash melee and he wants to try that again. This could be taken in two ways.

1. There will be around twenty five characters in the sequel like the original (or a close number)

2. He is trying to achieve a large number of characters like he did in melee that surpassed its predecessar. So maybe he is saying he is aiming for double the number, but it will be very difficult to do that.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Air combat eh? I've seen some smashers fight in the air for a little over 15 seconds, (Only one survived) but, This could open up a whole new window in combat style for SSB. I only think that the characters no one likes, (well mostly no one) should be taken out, opr overhauled, such as mewtwo and Pichu, And as much as I hate to say it, young link has a fair chance of being "Axed" They wont take out zelda because of sheik. but if I had to guess. I say that Pichu, mewtwo and game and watch will not return.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I didnt really want to think about it happening, but it does indeed look like some of the characters are gonna dissapear. Most likely clones (tho i dont call them clones) like Pichu, doc and (sad but likely true) ganondorf. If they take the ice climbers out I'm gonna cry! :cry:

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Zodiac said:
Air combat eh? I've seen some smashers fight in the air for a little over 15 seconds, (Only one survived) but, This could open up a whole new window in combat style for SSB. I only think that the characters no one likes, (well mostly no one) should be taken out, opr overhauled, such as mewtwo and Pichu, And as much as I hate to say it, young link has a fair chance of being "Axed" They wont take out zelda because of sheik. but if I had to guess. I say that Pichu, mewtwo and game and watch will not return.
Actually, seeing how Nintendo is favoring the TP time frame, Sheik could get ousted from the game unless Sheik is in fact in TP [we will find out before SSB arrives]

Another solution would be simply keeping both Zelda/Sheik and Young Link in to represent OoT, and TP Link in for his respective game. After all nobody says you have to use the most recent forms of characters.

Top Bottom