• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Soodey said:
can someone translate the new update today?
Thanks for the heads up. But unfortunatly, Sakurai didn't say anything serious today. Hope he does next time ^_^

Although I didn't read the other emails, I'm sure that there isn't much in those.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
YESSSS! GOOOOOOALLL!

I totally called this in my thread about roster culling. Nobody agrees with me, and it appears they still don't, but that just means that I win.

Bwahahaha! Awesome.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well I'm not surprised. The translated site of the "Contributions Fist" mentioned the possibility of cutting characters. My priorty list of expulsion in descending order:

Pichu
Roy
Doctor Mario [assuming Mario's powered up to compensate. and keeps the meteor smash ;]
Mewtwo
Game & Watch
Ness.

I'd only cut the first four or Five though.
I included Ness on the list because he's only in one of the Mother games and might not be the best choice to represent them. Especially considering his game isn't even the First Mother game. First worldwide, yes, but first as in a franchise-founding classic? no

And Why do people keep suggesting to cut the Ice Climbers? Ice Climbers were viable for battle and unique. With a little tweaking they could be made into a powerhouse. Nobody else does what the Ice Climbers do. They have a hammer based Moveset that only Dedede could replace, and he'd probably be about Bowser's size to maintain his proportion to Kirby. Also ,he wouldn't have a twin CPU to help him whip it.

Ice Climbers must stay.

amnesiac

Smash Apprentice
The speed will be "moderated"? Why? :(
I hope they reconsider this .. I don't want SSB to be slower :/

furthermore, I won't be saying who I'd like to leave, since the old overall picture is ruined anyways .. we'll get used to it, yeah, but it is ruined.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
if it has to be anyone, get rid of the filler chars.

roy
pichu
ylink
doc

they can make doc an alternate costume, if anything.
pichu was just filler.
roy, no need really...
and hopefully link will compensate for ylink's abscense.

it'd make no sense to get rid of an original character like ness, mewtwo, or game and watch.
you don't know what they have in store for those characters.

RoyalLance

Smash Apprentice
Resting_Fox said:
And Why do people keep suggesting to cut the Ice Climbers? Ice Climbers were viable for battle and unique. With a little tweaking they could be made into a powerhouse. Nobody else does what the Ice Climbers do. They have a hammer based Moveset that only Dedede could replace, and he'd probably be about Bowser's size to maintain his proportion to Kirby. Also ,he wouldn't have a twin CPU to help him whip it.

Ice Climbers must stay.
I'm not saying the Ice Climbers should go but the chances of them staying for Brawl may not as great as some will think.

Not only they are in danger of being replace by a different character from the NES era, there is also the issue of having your partner climber knocked, leaving with only half of your attacking power and a less effective recovery move.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Surprise? Don't think so. We all knew deep inside that it would be hard to have even more characters in this game I think. But I don't mind. I actually don't mind wich characters would go out: As long as the characters that stay will do fine.

Conker1

Smash Ace
I hope they just cut Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Y.Link and Roy are my second and third best characters!(Mario being the first)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Resting_Fox said:

Ice Climbers must stay.
I don't know. Why do people (including you) keep saying to cut Mewtwo? Mewtwo's a great character. And if they're redoing all of the returning characters like Sakurai says they are, Mewtwo could be turned into a great character. He doesn't need to be cut, he just needs to be improved. He's got a ton of potential.

wing zrow

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's my favorite smash charecter ( mained him at MLG chicago ) and if he were to disapear i think alot of people would be disopointed. Especially me.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I don't care as long the characters from the original SSB are still in. I mean, I'll play no matter what, but I just think the original SSB characters should be in every installment no matter what.

Kriegsseele

Smash Apprentice
I agree with most of the people that have posted here - the clones shall be removed for the sake of new characters.

Marth shall definitely stay. lol
He's the best representant for the FE series for he was in the very first game. And I agree with someone saying they should add some spearmen instead of Roy. :D

Ice Climbers should stay IMO. They are no clones and have their own, original game.

Mr. Game & Watch SHOULD DEFINITELY STAY, too. I didn't like to play him in Melee, but I loved to play "Game & Watch Galleries" - if someone of you still remembers those games. I think he's a well-known character of the "old generation" of Nintendo. (Correct me if I'm wrong. :p )

I first was shocked when I heard some characters won't make the cut and will be removed. ("NOT MARTH!! If they remove HIM, I won't buy that game" <- that's what I always thought XD may be a bit dumb, but I fell in love with his looks & style when I first ever played him - and that's quite a while back (3-4 years, can't remember))
But on second thought it is okay for me that they cut some characters to get more new characters in it. So that's my opinion.

~ SaHi

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
These are my predictions.

Sheik will be gone. Why? I think the new game will focus on the Twightlight Princess versions of the Zelda characters. Therefore, Zelda will be in but with different moves. She will be basically a new character. But Sheik had a unique way of fighting so I think she will be replaced with a similar character. Like who? Well Zero Suit Samus of course. The visual similarites are already there. Both are blonde, both wear tight blue suits, and both have a whip. So Sheik's gameplay will be there, just not the actual character.

Young Link will be gone for the reason stated above. There is no Young Link in Twightlight Princess (but who knows, maybe they will add in wolf Link). But there is a similar character to Young Link. That is Pit. He has a small frame, attacks with short swords, and has a bow. But in addition he could fly. Again, a character's gameplay might still be represented just in a new character.

Gannondorf will get his own moveset.

I am not sure about the other clones. I would like on of the sword characters to be removed. Who was the clone? Roy or Marth? I forget. I am sure more people would be pissed if Marth went instead of Roy.

Pichu may be back. The only reason I say this is because Pikachu's model looked big in the videogame. He is nearly as big as Mario. Was this done so Pichu could be made slightly bigger and with more range to have a viable fighting chance? Probably not, but who knows. Although not a great character, Pichu had an interesting twist of inflicting damage when using attacks. It seems like more can be done with this concept.

Doctor Mario can seriously just be a costume or non-existent.

Falco might be revamped, but I think it is possible that he will be taken out so that the new powerful Fox version can be Wolf O'Donnel.

Besides Sheik, I think all the non-clone characters will stay. Mewtwo and Bowser will probably be revamped as well. The villians have to stay toe on toe with the heroes. And hopefully more villians will be added.

Nurok

Smash Lord
I really hope they dont change everything about falco..
like i hope he does geta new moveset, but keep the blaster in(this is a must) keep his areials in(also a must) maybe the tilts can change or his other b moves.. but not those..
-edun

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I can really only see one of three possible villians being added and all of them are Star Fox villians; Wolf, Andrew, or Scales.

Although, I guess I can picture Ridley being added for Samus, but still...

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Im starting to warm up to the idea of giving each character the complete teardown and rebuilding. If they mess with my main, oh well, atleast they might make him better. It will be intresting to see what the characters we all know and love will be like in S2B2. I would like to see a better mewtwo. Mabe I'll be able to have a good secondary character this time.

*edit* as far as removing characters goes; as long as they dont touch my main im happy. Ive noticed that there are a few people saying Roy should be removed. I know some guys who would be sad to see this happen.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see them cutting Mewtwo. He is a very very very popular Pokemon, and also the character has totally unique moves.. I see them cutting characters like Pichu, Young Link, Doc, and Roy. I truly do not believe they will remove character's that have their own unique movesets already. I think they're going to remove clones that were never really that unique and/or popular. I do believe, though, that Falco and Ganondorf will remain in the game, and both have unique movesets.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
*EDIT* This post is in response to Vulpine's.

There are going to be sad people whoever gets removed. But this will tie into my next point.

I completely agree that I hope they overhaul all of the characters. I keep seeing people saying "As long as they do nothing to change my character, I'm okay," or "As long as MY character is exactly the same, I don't care what else they change," but where's the logic in that? Brawl is a completely new game. If you want to play Melee, then just play Melee! What's the point of having a new game if nothing about it is changed?

It would essentially be like if Super Mario 64 was simply Super Mario World with some new levels.

"Well, as long as they include my favorite level, I don't care what else they change."

The Wii is an entirely new system, and Brawl is a completely new game. Even though the control scheme is similar to Melee's, everything about the game should be NEW. It's a NEW game! If you want to play Melee, then just play Melee.

Personally, I hope they change everything.

If they change everything, and the game turns out to suck (seriously unlikely, considering who's working on the game), we can still play Melee.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Or, better yet, they take the best of SSBM (and SSB even) and put that into SSBB, then work on the things that didn't work so well in SSBM, as well as adding new things. Sorta like the actual answer to the whole 100-monkeys-and-a-typewriter-in-a-room scenario (i.e. The paper doesn't restart each time the monkey messes up - instead, once the monkey types in a write letter, it permanently stays there).

BETA

Smash Ace
Thank goodness at the complete revamp of the characters. I was extremely disappointed when I saw the beginning of the SSBB trailer (which literally seemed like Melee with improved graphics and on a new level). I saw Mario's same fsmash, Kirby's hammer, Link's fsmash and dair, etc. Should've realized that all it was was a prototype of the game. There is no way a game with the same exact attacks and movement can be considered a sequel rather than an upgrade, even if it does have new characters, graphics, and levels.

Hopefully, it'll be as big of a change as it was from 64 to Melee.

Laijin

Smash Hero
They shouldnt make any new characters if they cant keep all the characters from Melee. Instead they should just work on refining the game by making more stages and stuff like that..that would make alot less people angry.
Slowing the game down is a horrible mistake. They shouldnt try and fix whats not broken. Game developers make that mistake all the time and end up failing in the end.
If they already have the original engine, why wouldnt they be able to keep the same characters?

Obviously they are trying to appeal to the mainstream gamers. Who the hell else would complain about the speed? Their gonna lose their largest audience, which are us serious smash players. So..from the mainstream gamer point of view, here are the most useless characters in the game.

As for characters they are probably most definantly going to cut:

Mewtwo: He just plain sucks and is certainly not one of the more popular characters.

Young Link: Hes my favorite character in the game. But the sad sad truth is hes gonna probably get cut. T_T

Pichu: Not many people like him. So most likely he'll get cut

Doctor Mario: This is quite obvious why he will probably get cut.

Falco: I can see him being in the game more than the others I listed. But there is a chance he will get cut cause not many mainstream gamers like him.

Bowser: He just plain sucks.

Ganondorf: Too slow. Bowser even has a higher chance of staying than him.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Well, think of it this way. Who's more popular in the world, Wario or Pichu?

Would you rather have a minor revamp with better graphics, or a new, similar game with more popular characters (and is more fun to play).

The developers aren't stupid (most of them are smarter then us), and understand our plights. They don't want to make a very cruddy game, since it's suppose to be the game to launch the Wii's online world.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Because they're revamping all of the characters because it's a NEW game.

If you want to play Melee, then play Melee. Some of us would rather have a NEW game, as opposed to Super Smash Brothers: Melee: The Same Thing but It's on the Wii! Forgive me if I don't really want to play that game.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox said:
Because they're revamping all of the characters because it's a NEW game.

If you want to play Melee, then play Melee. Some of us would rather have a NEW game, as opposed to Super Smash Brothers: Melee: The Same Thing but It's on the Wii! Forgive me if I don't really want to play that game.
you are forgiven my son :) .

I just want to clarify that when I said "dont touch my main" before, I ment not to remove him completely. I am okay with changing the moves and whatnot.

Black Metal

Smash Cadet
I like playing with everyone except Jigglypuff and Ness. My mains are Roy, C-Falcon, & Mario. If they took G&W, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, & Ness I wouldn't mind b/c I don't really care for them, however I do want them in Brawl and I want Poo added.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Laijin said:
As for characters they are probably most definantly going to cut:

Mewtwo: He just plain sucks and is certainly not one of the more popular characters.

Young Link: Hes my favorite character in the game. But the sad sad truth is hes gonna probably get cut. T_T

Pichu: Not many people like him. So most likely he'll get cut

Doctor Mario: This is quite obvious why he will probably get cut.

Falco: I can see him being in the game more than the others I listed. But there is a chance he will get cut cause not many mainstream gamers like him.

Bowser: He just plain sucks.

Ganondorf: Too slow. Bowser even has a higher chance of staying than him.
Remove Bowser? Yeah right. And why would they remove Ganondorf, instead of just giving him a new moveset? And why remove Mewtwo, the character with some of the highest potential to be great.

I doubt that Sakurai and his team is going through characters based on their popularity alone, or how good they were in Melee. THEY MADE MELEE. If they don't like how a character came out in Melee, they can simply IMPROVE on their original design, instead of cutting the character.

I'd guess that when he talked about characters getting cut, he probably meant Young Link, Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario. I leave Falco and Ganondorf out because even if Falco hadn't been in Melee, he'd be a shoe-in for Brawl. My guess is Falco will get an entirely new moveset, but will be left in the game. Likewise, Ganondorf will be completely new, and will no longer be a clone. My reasoning for that? Those two characters are obvious choices for the game, whether they appeared in Melee or not. Even though they were in Melee, if they are given new movesets, it's like having a completely new character anyway.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not my beloved Ice climbers!!! i think its safeto safe if anybody is safe its the orginal 12. i eman they started it all. Luigi is a clone, true, but its Luigi! come on! and even though i can't stand some of them, id be sad to see them go.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
GameFreak said:
Not my beloved Ice climbers!!! i think its safeto safe if anybody is safe its the orginal 12. i eman they started it all. Luigi is a clone, true, but its Luigi! come on! and even though i can't stand some of them, id be sad to see them go.
luigi isn't a clone. o_O;

and i hope that they don't change mewtwo's nair.
that was one of the best moves he had to offer in melee.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Here's a good way to put things in prespective:

In SSBM compared to SSB, many moves were changed, but many were left the same. Characters got a few new moves too.

This will be a new game, but expect C. Falcon to still have his falcon punch. Expect Mario to be the well-balanced character. Expect Fox to be the quick one. You get the idea.

L!ME

Smash Rookie
Wow...that's tragic...eliminating characters....

That would just suck...a loss of any characters would ruin the game....

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Here's one of my predictions about the full roster:

They will get rid of Doc, Pichu, and Roy.

They will add Diddy Kong, Krystal or Skippy, a Star Fox villian (Wolf, Andrew, or Scales), one of the Metroid Hunters, Ridley, Meowth, and Sonic.

This would make the franchises MORE (though not completly) balenced.

Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi - Mario(4)
Samus, Zamus, Ridley and Hunter - Metroid(4)
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Meowth, and Mewtwo(better) - Pokemon(4)
Fox, Krystal or Skippy, Falco, and villian - Star Fox(4)
Link, Zelda/Shiek, and Ganondorf (also Y. Link if he stays)(4, 5 with Y.L.)
Mr. G&W, Pit, Ness, and Ice Climbers - Classic(4)
DK* and Diddy - Donkey Kong(2)
Kirby and MetaKnight - Kirby (2)
Snake and Sonic - Third Party(2)
Yoshi - Yoshi*(1)
Wario - Wario*(1)
Marth - Fire Emblem(1)
Captian Falcon - F-Zero(1)

* = Could be classified as Mario characters too

I believe if you add all that up it should equal 34 (35 with Y. Link.)

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
trouble is some WILL be removed, I'm desperately hoping that bowser isn't, thankfully i doubt it due to him A) not being a clone, a fully original moveset character B) being a mario character (one of the most popular selections of chars) and C) he has quite a large database of fans, but then I guess it depends mostly on which chars the japanese audiences like.

L!ME

Smash Rookie
McFox said:
No, it would ruin MELEE. This is not Melee. This is a new game.
hmm....well i happento mainly play most of the characters everyone's predicting to get cut. I hope the cut Marth and Roy and put two new Fire Emblem chars in. No one's mentioning them because they're more popular but I think they have just as much a chance to get cut as the others.

Top Bottom