• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
McFox said:
Remove Bowser? Yeah right. And why would they remove Ganondorf, instead of just giving him a new moveset? And why remove Mewtwo, the character with some of the highest potential to be great.

I doubt that Sakurai and his team is going through characters based on their popularity alone, or how good they were in Melee. THEY MADE MELEE. If they don't like how a character came out in Melee, they can simply IMPROVE on their original design, instead of cutting the character.

I'd guess that when he talked about characters getting cut, he probably meant Young Link, Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario. I leave Falco and Ganondorf out because even if Falco hadn't been in Melee, he'd be a shoe-in for Brawl. My guess is Falco will get an entirely new moveset, but will be left in the game. Likewise, Ganondorf will be completely new, and will no longer be a clone. My reasoning for that? Those two characters are obvious choices for the game, whether they appeared in Melee or not. Even though they were in Melee, if they are given new movesets, it's like having a completely new character anyway.
I'd venture that Falco would have a higher chance of getting cut than would Young Link, or at least the same to stay in. Falco could be replaced with Krystal if they decide that two space critters is enough. Though, I think what will happen is that Fox, Falco, and Krystal will all be in to represent the Star Fox team. Young Link, Link, Zelda (with her Sheik transformation intact), and Ganondorf will be in for the Zelda series (TP Wolf form is a possibility, but I highly doubt it). Pokemon wise, Pichu will be cut. Pikachu, Jiggly, Mewtwo (or possibly Raikiku (whatever the new fox Mewtwo guy is) might replace Mewtwo), then one other pokemon. I'd guess either Sneasel / his evolution or Absol or some other four-legged pokemon (I think a four-legged fighter would be cool and unique, and Absol seems to fit the picture pretty well).

As for Mario characters, I think anyone who even remotely *THINKS* that Luigi, Bowser, Peach, or Yoshi won't be in are ********. You can't get more Mario than that. Yes, they will be in - I'll bet my modship on it. Who's up in the air, though, are Waluigi, Daisy, Toad, and Birdo (reoccuring characters from Mario games).

DK wise, I'd say DK will be in, and *possibly* Diddy. Dixie and K.Rool I highly doubt, and Diddy is almost as iconic as DK. He could have his peanut guns from DK64 ^_<

More later.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Ferro De Lupe said:
This would make the franchises MORE (though not completly) balenced.
The problem with that idea is... who cares? Who cares if the franchises are balanced? There are much better characters that should get in over some of the ones you want.

Inferno_blaze said:
trouble is some WILL be removed, I'm desperately hoping that bowser isn't, thankfully i doubt it due to him A) not being a clone, a fully original moveset character B) being a mario character (one of the most popular selections of chars) and C) he has quite a large database of fans, but then I guess it depends mostly on which chars the japanese audiences like.
I don't think there's much of a chance of Bowser being cut. He's almost as popular as Mario himself.

L!ME said:
hmm....well i happento mainly play most of the characters everyone's predicting to get cut. I hope the cut Marth and Roy and put two new Fire Emblem chars in. No one's mentioning them because they're more popular but I think they have just as much a chance to get cut as the others.
Why cut both Marth AND Roy, instead of just one? If there's limited time to make characters, what's the point of cutting TWO completely original characters, even if you have to heavily tweak them.

I think most of the clones will go, and possibly a couple of people with original movesets, though not many. Marth is pretty much a shoe-in, considering how popular Fire Emblem is in Japan. Roy is a different story, because he's basically Marth with fire.

*EDIT*
Kokichi said:
Who's up in the air, though, are Waluigi, Daisy, Toad, and Birdo (reoccuring characters from Mario games).
And Geno! Don't forget Geno! :)

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Why Marth? The developing team know Marth is a great character and liked by a lot of players. He's the star of the first FE game, and many people in Japan (and the US because of SSBM) would despise Nintendo to remove him.

The reason for removing characters is to compensate for timee, and to give more time to make the game better.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Everyone is so caught up on the character announcement.

What about that other line, about game speed? If this game plays as slow as Smash 64... I'm more worried about the gameplay being slow. Who the hell complains about it being too fast? The only character that is too fast is Fox, too fast for hands, too fast for controllers, but I like him that way thanks.

The only thing that would make it up to me is if Crono and Magus were in the game somehow ^_^;

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I'm glad most of you don't think bowser would be removed, i didn't reaalise quite HOW popular he really is *phew* Bowser's my favourite character, not my best in ssb but he's always been my favourite.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Inferno_blaze said:
I'm glad most of you don't think bowser would be removed, i didn't reaalise quite HOW popular he really is *phew* Bowser's my favourite character, not my best in ssb but he's always been my favourite.
People claim that Bowser is almost as popular as Mario. The truth is that he IS as popular as Mario; most people just don't realize it. The same can be said about Luigi.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
They can't expect to keep all fans (maybe replace a few) of the game without having all the characters return which i'm hoping for. I like the idea of clones a lot especially two characters from the same gaming series. (fox and falco) I wouldn't want them to have the same old special moves or airs because they might end up getting boring, but like i don't want them to get rid of fox's shine and they probably won't but i absolutely hate firefox and illusion because they are good recovery methods but not good for attacks. The special moves make the characters distinct from each other the most and i hope that this time we can actually see a lot of them being used in combos or tweaked to be usuable in combos.

If Nintendo does not bring back even one character that was in melee, then I would say some fans loyal to that character might stop playing which isn't a good thing for nintendo at all.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
The game speed being moderated a bit is a good thing in my opinion. Hopefully it will leave less room for spamming fast moves...besides, I doubt you will notice a huge speed difference in advanced play. I mean, watch advanced players in smash 64...they move almost as fast as they do in melee thanks to Z cancelling and fast falling ;p

I hope he is just trying to remove spamming fast moves...adding a bit more depth and helping to balance speed and power characters.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
i have a feeling that we will see more than just a few characters removed in order to add those star characters of which franchises are not yet represented in smash.

honestly, i'm not going to leave out the possibility that shiek, pichu, roy, falco, doc, and ylink won't be in brawl.

i believe loz will focus more on the TP timeline than anything.
shiek does not fit into that timeline.
also, ylink is no doubt going to be replaced.
he is my 2nd to peach in melee, but he's also not a part of the TP timeline.
hopefully the tp revamped chars (link, ganondorf, and zelda) will make up for the loss of ylink and shiek.

falco doesn't seem like a major star in the starfox series.
although people say "well he's my favorite character in starfox! no one can replace him!".
whether or not your favorite, he's not a supreme role in the series as people think.
and this time around, we may be seeing more of a focus on villians which may make room for wolf who, in my opinion, has more importance than falco in the series.

pichu is one of my favorites to use in melee, don't get me wrong.
but like i said, i believe the focus of brawl is going to be the STAR crossover effect.
pichu isn't as well of a represented pokemon icon as mewtwo, pikachu, or jigglypuff.
that really only leaves one pokemon who is so well in people's minds when you think pokemon, especially the television series: meowth.

FE series i can't speak much of.
really, there is not one individual star of the series so it is hard to predict a possible character to arrive in brawl.
marth i think represents FE for melee, so i honestly don't see him leaving anytime soon.
it's possible they may add someone like ephraim, or hector to differentiate from the generic sword-wielding main characters FE has.

doc... if anything, an appearance by him will be an alternate costume for good ol' mario.

with this being said, i can't rule out the possibility of seeing other 3rd party franchises in brawl.
pacman, megaman and zero, sonic and tails, and simon belmont seem like the most PROBABLE candidates to represent an effective "CROSSOVER" to the world of brawl.
they represent their own franchise more than any other appearing characters in their series.

pacman: namco.
megaman and zero: capcom.
sonic and tails: sega.
simon belmont: konami.

each represent a 3rd party which has had a relationship with nintendo.
and no one better than those characters can represent their respective series.

trust me, i was NEVER for pacman or megaman or any of that.
but i think this is what nintendo is honestly aiming for.
i can't help but accept it.

but dear god of nintendo, please find a way to add geno! :{

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
Shiek... and Falco... are two of the most popular characters... ever. And Falco is the second in command to Fox, he's the only other major character in the game.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
Voodoo Daddy said:
Shiek... and Falco... are two of the most popular characters... ever. And Falco is the second in command to Fox, he's the only other major character in the game.
shiek is not popular in the legend of zelda series at all.
her role in the game is dismal.

falco is second to command to fox, and yet, has never had a big role in the series.

wolf had a very big role in star fox assault.
falco was just the generic "i fly solo" kinda guy on the team.
and both were only so popular because of melee.
neither have large roles in the series.
nor are they two of the most popular characters ever - haha.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
controlfreak7 said:
If Nintendo does not bring back even one character that was in melee, then I would say some fans loyal to that character might stop playing which isn't a good thing for nintendo at all.
Lol. Are you kidding? Characters are removed from sequels all the time, people don't boycott the game. This will not happen.

TRC said:
What about that other line, about game speed? If this game plays as slow as Smash 64... I'm more worried about the gameplay being slow. Who the hell complains about it being too fast? The only character that is too fast is Fox, too fast for hands, too fast for controllers, but I like him that way thanks.
He didn't say it was going to significantly slow down. He said

Don't worry, the speed of the game will "be moderated" a little bit.
That doesn't sound like a major overhaul to me.

Antioch said:
Blah blah blah.
You seem pretty confident that nobody likes Sheik. Sheik has been a hugely popular character since she was first shown in OoT. And Falco has also been right up there with Wolf in popularity. Either of those could be in the game. I'm not even saying Sheik is staying in. But saying

shiek [SIC] is not popular in the legend of zelda series at all.
is just silly.

Energismus

Smash Rookie
I think there is a lot that they could do to keep the game paced the same, so that fast characters still have their appeal, while expanding on the styles of other characters. For instance, to make Donkey Kong more viable, they could make his attacks completely override weaker attacks and partially go through shields, give him a grab that is very difficult to button-mash your way out of, allow him to cling to the sides of stages and climb back up (King Kong-style), powerful throws, higher damage from thrown items, etc. Similarly, fast characters could be toned down in these and several other aspects to compensate for their speed.

Kokichi said:
Energismus, balancing slow with fast characters is something that game designers have had to deal with since the days of SF2. Back then, Chun Li ruled. In most fighting games I can think of, the slow characters always get beat by the fast, nimble characters. My hope would be that they don't really slow down the slow characters so much - or, if they do, to really make sure that they need a ton of percent before they get knocked off the stage. For example, Bowser would need ~150% to equal Sheik's ~85%.
I don't know, maybe I'm just dreaming, but it seems like, if they were careful, they could succeed in balancing the slow characters vs the fast characters without giving the slow characters too many quick moves and the fast characters too many knockout moves. Of course the classic console problem is that they have to balance it all before they release the game because they can't just release patches like PC gaming companies can. But then again, the wii is supposed to have 512MB built-in flash memory and internet capability, so hopefully they'll implement a patching system and continue balancing the game. =)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
For all we know, the speed being moderated could very well mean that everyone will require more % to get knocked off...Not like Pikachu being heavier or anything...just the game in general requiring more hits to knock someone off...even though that was a customization feature in SSBM if I remember correctly...

Well I don't know how they could "slow down" a fighting game and keep it at 30-60 FPS...though I'm sure this "moderation" will be on the duration of battles...

I do see the logic in upping the stronger characters grab durability and thrown item damage...that's just logic...though it'd kinda take away from Pichu only "official" advantage...

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
You seem pretty confident that nobody likes Sheik. Sheik has been a hugely popular character since she was first shown in OoT. And Falco has also been right up there with Wolf in popularity. Either of those could be in the game. I'm not even saying Sheik is staying in. But saying is just silly.

by popular, of course, i mean not very well represented in the series itself.
she didn't play a large role in the game.

this is only my prediction, not saying it will happen.
i chose a poor vocabulary to explain shiek's "popularity".

same with falco.
people like him because he's the laid-back "rebel" of the starfox team.
has the mellow tone of voice, and personality.
the kinda guy who "doesn't always take orders" from guys like fox.
i can only assume he was added because of his "cool factor".

not to sound out of line with this mcfox, but you do believe that falco has had a major role in any of the starfox games?
more than wolf?

i took a liking to sheik as well when oot debuted.
doesn't mean her role was of major significance to the loz series itself.

i never said no one liked shiek, though.
just a poor choice of vocabulary on my part.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I see.

Anyway, no, Falco hasn't had as big of a role in the Starfox games as Wolf. But number of appearances or importance to storylines is obviously not how Sakurai chooses characters anyway. Otherwise, Sheik and Falco wouldn't have appeared in Melee in the first place.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
But SSB is more of an entity in and of itself. People like Shiek and Falco. Do you think Marth is a good representation of fire emblem? He was in the first and the third, the protagonist from the fourth is much more popular and usually associated with the fire emblem series.

They know better than to remove two of the most popular characters.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
people like ylink, doc, and pichu as well.

you think people will not be disappointed with their disappearance in brawl, if it were to happen?

you think sakurai will deeply remorse over them not being in brawl? i doubt it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I posted this in another topic when the news about not all the characters coming back was first announced. Enjoy!

"If this is true, I will be so happy. Here is my chance to gloat before someone comes along and corrects the article... Ahahahahaha! I told you! I told you all! Mewtwo doesn't belong in this game! Mewtwo was a loser! Kill the weak off! They can not get better! Ahahahahahaha! Fools! I am right! You are wrong! The weak have been separated and are being deleted! Die die die! Ahahahaha!...That felt good.:)"

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I really don't see the point of removing characters... Their code is there. Their art is there. Their models are there. What's the point of getting rid of characters for which you have half the work done for?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
commonyoshi said:
I posted this in another topic when the news about not all the characters coming back was first announced. Enjoy!

"If this is true, I will be so happy. Here is my chance to gloat before someone comes along and corrects the article... Ahahahahaha! I told you! I told you all! Mewtwo doesn't belong in this game! Mewtwo was a loser! Kill the weak off! They can not get better! Ahahahahahaha! Fools! I am right! You are wrong! The weak have been separated and are being deleted! Die die die! Ahahahaha!...That felt good.:)"
So what if Mewtwo was bad. He was still fun. Same with Pichu and Game&Watch...

Please, please don't take away my beloved Pichu away...:crying:

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
poor pichu too - everyone is so against him...and if this rumor (yea I'm still saying rumor until I get it in English not be someone on a forum) is true then I'd boot him out in a skip and a hop.

But just thinking out of the box here for a second - didn't he say there were trying to come up with ideas to be used for WiiConnect24? What if we all get the game without certain characters unlockable and then one day out of the blue we turn the Wii on and BAM you're challenged to fight one of the deleted characters!?!

It'd be a great use for the feature and could easily be worked (think of the three extra trophies in Melee).

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Firestorm88 said:
I really don't see the point of removing characters... Their code is there. Their art is there. Their models are there. What's the point of getting rid of characters for which you have half the work done for?
It's just annoying having them there. It's like an old can of fish in the cuboard. It only takes up a little bit of space. You already paid for it. But you will never eat it. Just throw it away.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
"If this is true, I will be so happy. Here is my chance to gloat before someone comes along and corrects the article... Ahahahahaha! I told you! I told you all! Mewtwo doesn't belong in this game! Mewtwo was a loser! Kill the weak off! They can not get better! Ahahahahahaha! Fools! I am right! You are wrong! The weak have been separated and are being deleted! Die die die! Ahahahaha!...That felt good."
Once again, why would they remove Mewtwo? Mewtwo has huge potential, because his movelist is wide open to a lot of unique stuff. Sure, he's not that good in Melee, so here's their chance to improve on their original design.

Mewtwo could be a great character if they redid him right. I don't understand why everyone wants him cut.

Firestorm88 said:
Because they're redoing most if not all of the characters, in addition to new ones. That takes almost as long as making the character from scratch.

And they can't just include Melee's characters if they're redoing everyone else. The characters that haven't changed wouldn't fit in the game.

Zook said:
Please, please don't take away my beloved Pichu away...
I'd say out of all the characters, Pichu has the highest chance of getting cut. Sorry. :(

kirby_fox said:
poor pichu too - everyone is so against him...and if this rumor (yea I'm still saying rumor until I get it in English not be someone on a forum) is true then I'd boot him out in a skip and a hop.
The text was translated by three separate people. That's what he said.

kirby_fox said:
But just thinking out of the box here for a second - didn't he say there were trying to come up with ideas to be used for WiiConnect24? What if we all get the game without certain characters unlockable and then one day out of the blue we turn the Wii on and BAM you're challenged to fight one of the deleted characters!?!
The problem with that, like I mentioned in the topic about it, is that not everyone can connect to Nintendo's Wi-Fi. Plus, it's not the kind of thing that Nintendo is prone to do.

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

if they take low tiers and clones, the only chance of me is, well quit smash :( (for real, if bowser, roy and mew2 are cut, then there is no point for me playing this game).

like come on, everybody like low tiers, why should they be cut, because they suck, screw nintendo if they do (not really, but i be so pissed), from this point, am starting to hated pit, metaknight and any other dude, that appears in this game, for the only porpuse of putting newcomers, so screw them i just one the melee ones, i just stick with melee and seen Wii to hell :mad: :mad: :mad: (obviously not, i can't quit, i be pissed, but i can pass out the chance to atleast try the new dudes, even though, melee isn't going anywere, so i have my characters with me always, so if this is for the best then i can say one thing, i'll be happy .......and a little pissed :p)

EDIT: just because guys re crazy to give me bad reputation for this post, it was just a joke dudes, nothing special.

GAmer1991

Smash Apprentice
So our only hope of playing the old characters are:
1: play melee instead.
2: If used, wiiconnect 24 will add them to the roster. (doubtful)
3. Hope Nintendo makes a smash compilation that is online capable (EXTREMELY doubtful.)

Things look bleak for Pichu.....I'll have to find a new main/hope for it's? return with an original moveset.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Okurama, wow.

They will not be cutting character on the basis of tiers, which are FAN created. Duh. Bowser and Mewtwo are likely to return.

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
If they removed mewtwo I wouldn't care but I don't think they should because like McFox said his movelist is wide open to a lot of unique stuff

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
if mewtwo's moveset is revamped a bit, i hope that his nair and dtilt shall stay.
maybe his dtilt have more popup force.

seriously though, his nair and dtilt are mewtwo's supreme moves besides his bthrow and uthrow.

Aiser

Smash Lord
I don't see zelda leaving, just being updated to her TP design. I don't see Marth leaving either considering he was pretty popular he'll probably get nerfed some though.

b-osiris

Smash Rookie
I predict to be 30 characters playable in the SSBB. I think it's a reasonable amount =)
BTW I think pichu, jigglypuff and mewtwo are going to be cut ...

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
why do people say "so and so" aren't leaving. How do we know they aren't?

And McFox I'm too lazy to quote so to answer your response to mine:

Since it is on a forum I am taking it with a grain of salt right now until official news in English and there is speculation that the Wii could be Wifi right out of the box. If Nintendo wants WiiConnect24 to work it better be out of the box...otherwise...I'll just pray for the best...

But to put simple: We have no idea who is in and who is out. We have no idea if by "delete" he could mean "revamp" as in the clones are now all new characters. We have nothing to go on so no need to say "so and so isn't leaving" because we don't know.

But by any bet - none of the SSB originals will be gone, except MAYBE Samus due to ZS Samus. That's my guess, but alas none of us know.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
b-osiris said:
I predict to be 30 characters playable in the SSBB. I think it's a reasonable amount =)
BTW I think pichu, jigglypuff and mewtwo are going to be cut ...
well, you are obviously biased to the neglection of pokemon.
so i doubt anyone cares what you think.

jiggs and mewtwo are key assets to representing pokemon as much as pikachu and meowth are.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
30 characters is a pretty pessimistic view on the number of characters. It won't be significantly more, but hopefully it would be closer to 35.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
I'm choosing a new main anyways in Brawl, so I wouldn't mind who they cut. However, I think people are thinking too much about nintendo cutting the low tier. You always have to remember the high teir, but then again now that I think about it, most of the main characters from games are high teir.

But what people have said about the clones is true: I think they are the most likely to be cut.

Top Bottom