• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
I would rather Nintendo Power confirm some more returners than more newcomers... (unless its Diddy.) I doubt they'll reveal anything, but I'd rather most of the newcomers don't get revealed for months, and some of them not until after release... I want to see character art of Mario and Link on the official site before we start talking about more newbies...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I just DESPERATELY want to see Geno.

I don't care who else in the game. If there's Geno, I will be a very happy camper. :)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
McFox said:
I just DESPERATELY want to see Geno.

I don't care who else in the game. If there's Geno, I will be a very happy camper. :)
It feels like, though, a high quality Geno wouldn't look so good. He's just a puppet. Kinda ugly, too, when it's in high quality, not his 2D form. Though, I think it'd be awesome to have him in, since he's from one of my top 3 favorite games, SMRPG.

However, if he was in, they'd *HAVE* to have music from the game in.

*Listens to the OC Remix of Mushroomway*

*Has orgy*

SirPhilalot

Smash Cadet
I don't understand, if you guys want to keep wavedashing, all 26 characters and all the stages, why bother getting the new Smash Bros. game? It's not just a mere update to Smash Bros, it's actually a new game. If they kept all the characters and didn't change the mechanics I wouldn't waste my time or money on the purchase.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
I've never played Mario RPG (though I love the Paper games so I would probably love it too), so I don't really care about Geno. I'd be much more excited to see Toad in the game.

Diddy, Toad and Sonic are the three characters who will make me pee my pants with glee.

But you have to agree that so long before this game's release, and especially after the announcement that some characters will be leaving, it'd be better to see what oldbies are returning before seeing even more newbies. We already know 5 newbies, with game stills and footage of two of them, and we might not get the game in our hands for 12 months. Thats assuming that even the developers know any more new characters, and aren't just revisiting the old ones plus Wario, Snake and Zamus right now. So the NP rumor seems a little silly to me.

BTW, on the issue at hand, I'll be happy if no original movesets get cut (though I figure a few could be). The clones were nice to fill the roster in Melee, but if Sakurai and company want to opt for less total characters but more new ones and more total unique movesets, thats fine by me. Anyone who says they are going to be mad about a new online Smash with at a bare minimum 30 characters because Pichu is cut... Heh, you have issues...

Energismus

Smash Rookie
I don't imagine that it's too difficult for them to add new characters. They could probably release with sixty or so without too much effort. Look at SSMB. There are hundreds of 3D models in the form of trophies, many of which they could have probably adapted to be used as character models. They don't seem to have any problem creating models. Then they could throw in some crappy sounds, some generic animation sets, and some moves copied from other characeters.

But in the end they're going to run into the classic problem. Uniqueness vs Balance. If all the characters closely resemble a few archetypes, it's not too hard to balance them, but players will get bored because the game doesn't have as much depth as it seemed to. If they make every character completely different from the next, there will inevitably be some characters that are overpowered and other characters that simply don't have enough advantages or have too many disadvantages to compete.

Uniqueness gives a game depth and staying power and balance makes the game solid. I think one of the most beautiful examples of this is Starcraft. No two units are alike and each of the three races places completely different from the others, yet the game is very well balanced.

Of course, the devs can only do so much given their limited resources. For this reason, I think that clones can work in their favor, but I don't think that they should be heralded as seperate characters. They should be "alternates" to main characters that can be chosen in a similar fashion to switching costumes in SSBM.

Melee had what, about 1/5 clones? If they stuck with that ratio, they could have 30 unique characters and 8 clones and still increase the unique character count by 50%. SSBM had twice as many unique characters as SSB64, so one and a half times more characters doesn't sound too unreasonable. Though, I still think that balancing all that is going to be a beach.

I'm really hoping that they keep supporting the game through balance and bug-fix patches. Heck, they could throw in 60 characters and balance them later. :laugh:

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
That's slightly disheartning news as my #2 (Roy) is likely to be cut. I'm sure I'll still have Luigi though but dang it I gotta have my Roy. Or at least Eliwood that plays exactly like Roy (not like Marth).

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
By someone, you mean me? If so then give me a little bit and I'll be done soon. Good catch btw ^_^

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Apparently theyve already recieved 10,000 emails, which is why they decided to do 30 this time instead of just 10.

Sakurai says that fans should look forward to the Wii version instead of a DS version.

Sakurai's last post is a bit tough to read, and I don't have alot of time right now, but I'm fairly certain that in response to the email he said that making certain moves stronger wont necessarily increase the amount of luck a person can have in the game. And he also says that the people who were good actually used every move a character had, and won many games because of it.

And thats it. Nothing too big :/

S-88

Smash Cadet
I really hate to say it, but if anyone should really be taken out, its Snake. As cool as it would be to play with him, he totally throws off all of the characters. He just doesn't fit with Smash.

*sighs*

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
McFox! Don't you die on me dammit! How could Geno ever be in Brawl without you there to be his puppet master? How could you bear the thought of me using Boshi(an alternate costume of Yoshi) to whoop unsuspecting gamers into submission without you being there to crush me. How can you bear the fact of Nintendo putting the atrocity, Waluigi into the game without blaming me? My point is this…..the gaming world of SSBB would be a sad place without you. Please don’t die! Seriously though, Energismus that is very valid point. I always felt like the hundred of trophies in SSBM was such a big waste! I loved the retro aspect of it, but come on Nintendo….why tempt us with such gorgeous models and not include them into game play. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to get my hands on a Nintendo Power Mag, does anyone know when the July issue hits the newsstands?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The July issue should hit fairly soon. I got the July issue of PC Gamer in just a few days ago.

And once again, thanks to SamuraiPanda for being our resident translator. :p

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
McFox's Dead Body said:
The July issue should hit fairly soon. I got the July issue of PC Gamer in just a few days ago.

Awsome! Thanks McFox and thank you SamuraiPanda for doing what you do so well!

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox's Dead Body said:

hehe. I trust you will be first to relay info from the July issue to us? So long as somone ressurects your dead body.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I don't have a subscription to Nintendo Power, so it won't be me.

And whoever posts it, I expect some frikkin scans to go along with the information.

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
McFox's Dead Body said:
I don't have a subscription to Nintendo Power, so it won't be me.

And whoever posts it, I expect some frikkin scans to go along with the information.

I get nintendo power but I don't have a scanner

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
(I hope not but) I think Melee will require more techs and skilled players than Brawl. (they'll ease on the complexity of the game)

Anyways if they don't have a dead line, it will be better if they take a lil' more time to develop more the characters, make WAY MORE newcomers and fix some broken moves Melee has.

But please don't slow it down.

.................later

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm this is hard no offense to doc lovers but i dont see how hes differnt(he is though but onmly by minor stats)

imo pichu is my favorite i will NOT accept them removing pichu and young link is the REAL link.

only game adult link appeared in is orcarina of time and twilight princess so they shouldent remove y.link

clones may have same atttacks but lets say pichu and pikachu.they have whole differnt stats and stragedy but i cant addept to pikachu but i could with pichu.

clones are actually VERY usfull and good

mewtwo is on the lowest tier above pichu(wtf? 0_o) meaning hes the 2nd least used person in the game at tournements but he shouldent be removed cuz hes gonna be powered up.comon hes like 1 of the least emo'ish pokemon(not that i dont like pokemon,infact is <3 pokemon)also well...NOBODY should be removed!

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
You guys have to see the flaw in your argument about doc. He's a mario clone, if they keep him that way, he will take practically no time to develope. Meaning it'll waste like... a byte... just the one. Either way they can't change it too much, they don't have enough time.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
No offense to Doc or Pichu....but those two franchise's are represented enough, so I believe those 2 are the first to be looked at.

Fire Emblem is getting a lot bigger with the GC release and another one that's coming out, they're not going to lessen the Rep. it has in Brawl. Also, Marth and Roy represent more than themselves.....the majority of main characters in FE games have red or blue hair[with exceptions, but when is there not?]--somewhat of a signature.
If anything, they'll just modify the 2 we got and add maybe one more.

Young Link is probably the most famous and seen-in-game clone we got, there is no way they're removing him. More than likely, they're IMPROVING him.

My top three removal is
1)Pichu
2)G&W
3)Doc [maybe just make him less clone-y as he is the closest to his original]

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
My opinion about the altered time thing: He was answering an e-mail about freedom in aerial battle, you guys saw the trailer [meta and pitt scrappin] and the aerials were connecting different than that in melee. Keep the trailer in mind. That and this kickass translator dude are all we have to go on.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Peach.... I hope they don'e take her out because of the dress

:shudders:

dracleath said:
Game and watch might get cut just because he doesn't really fit on a next gen system, ie you can't really take game and watch and make him look great by giving him a detailed outfit and new moves like they did with mario and link, and he never really fit with the physics of smash bros.
Don't know about you but i didn't notice any change in KIrby on the Brawl trailer..... Besides, since when has Nintendo cared about graphics over greatness?

zokie

Smash Rookie
SamuraiPanda said:
Apparently theyve already recieved 10,000 emails, which is why they decided to do 30 this time instead of just 10.

Sakurai says that fans should look forward to the Wii version instead of a DS version.

Sakurai's last post is a bit tough to read, and I don't have alot of time right now, but I'm fairly certain that in response to the email he said that making certain moves stronger wont necessarily increase the amount of luck a person can have in the game. And he also says that the people who were good actually used every move a character had, and won many games because of it.

And thats it. Nothing too big :/
Thanks for the hard work :D

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Lishy said:
imo pichu is my favorite i will NOT accept them removing pichu
I really don't think it's up to you.

Lishy said:
mewtwo is on the lowest tier above pichu(wtf? 0_o) meaning hes the 2nd least used person in the game at tournements
No. It means, theoretically anyway, that if two players of equal skill level played the game, someone who chose a character higher than Mewtwo on the list would win. It's not a perfect system, but that's the general idea. It has nothing to do with how often he's used.

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
doc only has one game so why should they keep him.

Brawl is probaly going to have more fire emblem people because that FE game for GC just came out

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
MetalGearLink said:
as long as Luigi stays in the game I'm fine.....ninty seems to hate Luigi and keep them in the games just because of his fanbase

I agree with metalgearlink because Luigi is my favorite person

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Luigi is not just good for his fanbase.Luigi is my second,and has the best air-style ledge gaurd in the game,due to his over-b cheap recover.Countless times I have kicked enemies as they try to do their recover,before using over-b and up-b.Also,he is the only half-clone.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
S-88 said:
I really hate to say it, but if anyone should really be taken out, its Snake. As cool as it would be to play with him, he totally throws off all of the characters. He just doesn't fit with Smash.

*sighs*
Dude, once the game is out, Snake will feel just like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Link, Samus and other humanoid characters. You won't even see a difference.

So, I think I'm about to get pwned. I main as Ganondorf and second as Roy. If Roy gets cut and Ganondorf gets a new moveset, I'll have to find a new favortie character. :cry:

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
How do you main with Ganon?I 5-stock Ganon 80% of the time,probably my highest rate besides Ness.Also,i hope they remove Marth instead of Roy.Marth is too hard to approch,and to good at edge gaurding.Unless you can predict him perfectly,bye bye.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Falco&Victory said:
How do you main with Ganon?I 5-stock Ganon 80% of the time,probably my highest rate besides Ness.Also,i hope they remove Marth instead of Roy.Marth is too hard to approch,and to good at edge gaurding.Unless you can predict him perfectly,bye bye.
I don't know. I like his brute strenght. I mean, me and my brother usually do a 2V2 against comps and sometime but comps double team me at the beginning. I get like 75% after 20 seconds then I turn around, hit them 2 or 3 times and they have more damage than I do. I like that. Ganondorf is also pretty good at Edgeguarding if the other guy comes from the bottom(that is, if you have good timing and is pretty quick on the controller).

Top Bottom