• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Falco&Victory said:
Also,i hope they remove Marth instead of Roy.Marth is too hard to approch,and to good at edge gaurding.Unless you can predict him perfectly,bye bye.
They nerf good characters. The chances of them removing top/high tiers are comparatively low, and more likely to be nerfed than removed.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
*runs to a mountain and screams* NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *clears throat* I'm shot.

Now before you speculate, think- "what were some advantages and disadvantages of each character from Melee? How did I use a certain character effectively? Did the advantages of a character outweigh its disadvantages, or the other way around? Why do I not want a certain character from Melee to be in Brawl?" Ask yourself those questions before coming up with a theory on who may be cut from Brawl.

Roy Were-ForUniMare

Smash Journeyman
Falco&Victory said:
How do you main with Ganon?I 5-stock Ganon 80% of the time,probably my highest rate besides Ness.Also,i hope they remove Marth instead of Roy.Marth is too hard to approch,and to good at edge gaurding.Unless you can predict him perfectly,bye bye.
As my main is Roy I never had problems with owning Marth players eventhough Marth is 3rd best Top Tier statisicly, and if they remove him I'd break my little bloody heart *sniff sniff..*
I also don't see what good there can be if they really would remove any char., even Pichu, I mean there is not a single SSBM char. that isn't loved, hell I see more Roy then Marth fans most of the time although they use Marth simply because of the Tier List.
I've seen someone think they should kick Bowser or that the chance that he will be kicked is high, thats unlikely (not impossible though) since he is THE arch enemy of Mario and who wouldn't want to see Bowser make a awesome return in SSBB where he'd (for example) is slightly faster but also is a hell of alot more powerfull and with a new set of attacks besides his breath attack and **** Grab X3.
I could find for any char. a good bunch of reasons why they should stay, but in the end its still the makers of the game who deside, no matter how much we protest or cheer.

JPW

Smash Ace
Lance87 said:
My opinion about the altered time thing: He was answering an e-mail about freedom in aerial battle, you guys saw the trailer [meta and pitt scrappin] and the aerials were connecting different than that in melee. Keep the trailer in mind. That and this kickass translator dude are all we have to go on.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Peach.... I hope they don'e take her out because of the dress

:shudders:
Peach is actually quite good for a girl character. Plus Peach is part of Mario's franchise, and she's probably one of the top part of Mario's franchise. She's a bladdy princess, and Mario keeps on saving her. But she can handle well on her own.

Peach is one of those characters in it for sure type.

I see Young Link being replaced by a Cel Shaded Link. Cel Shaded is possibly the way they want to go for Young Link games now.
Whereas Adult Link, it be a crime not to have him, and we all know he is in this. He's one of the many favourites, and he's got a launch title for Wii, and the last title for Gamecube. Link is one of their most important characters right now. His older look is also a flagship for Nintendo. I'm willing to bet they want to keep both versions of Link. Adult Link to appeal to the older Market. And Young/Cel Shaded Link to appaeal to Teen and Kid gamers., and a little portion of Adult Gamers. I actually enjoyed Wind Waker, it's so cool once you look past the Cel shaded graphics and just play.

Pichu and Dr. Mario will probably be the first they'll look at. Game and Watch is another possibility, though he didn't really have a bad stage.

I'm curious about what's going on with Ness. He doesn't seem to have any future in Nintendo not to my knowledge anyway. But Ness is quite cool.

Ice Climbers I reckon they'll also take a look at.

I don't want too many characters, cause like last time, I had a problem with choosing who to be, and sometimes I just went random.

Maybe they shouldn't confirm a list, and all third party characters are hidden, so we end up quite suprised and hyped when we find out someone like Sonic or Crash Bandicoot, or Rayman or even Lara Croft.
Maybe the 5 newcomers should also be hidden. Hey how about you unlock Snake, by finding him under a box in Adventure mode.

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Its mostly skill, but with an equal amount of skill, the higher tier character has a better chance of winning (its all very situational though). I doubt our suggestions on characters affect The Studio.They know enuogh for themselves, and i trust they will make the right decisions.

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
Sigh... Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. WON'T YOU LEARN FROM MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2!?!?!?!?!?!!!! THEY INCLUDED NEARLY EVERY CAPCOM CHARACTER!!!

...Ehem. I don't mind new chars, but if they take our Smash faves like Fox and Bowser, no one will buy the game.

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Wolf E. Urameshi said:
Sigh... Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo. WON'T YOU LEARN FROM MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2!?!?!?!?!?!!!! THEY INCLUDED NEARLY EVERY CAPCOM CHARACTER!!!

...Ehem. I don't mind new chars, but if they take our Smash faves like Fox and Bowser, no one will buy the game.
INCORRECT. Most will buy the game, many will just be supremely perturbed.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
asianpride3491 said:
INCORRECT. Most will buy the game, many will just be supremely perturbed.
Exactly. People will be ticked...but certainly not ticked off enough to not buy Brawl. Just the concept of "New Smash" is too much to not buy it, even if Master Chief and Bit Cloud with his LigerZero from that really old robotic show on Cartoon Network are in it--[ :psycho: , don't know where that came from]--........but I know a lot of you won't know who that is......just trust me that he's lame.

BTW: Wow, I don't usually agree with your points AsianPride. First for everything. :chuckle:

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
SamuraiPanda (and everyone else)

I am wondering if we should write Sakurai and/or the Nintendo of America's Localization group that is helping to run the smashbros. site, and request an english translation of at least some of the character request stuff. Or a section in the english version where we can submit our ideas. Or both.

I've tried to submit some ideas on the japanese site, and it appears to be working, but I can't really find it after I look through the posts. Do they not all show up? Maybe only select messages are posted on the site.

This is just nerveracking watching days go by when other people get to actively communicate with the Smash Brothers team.

SamuraiPanda,

Can you translate more? Anything? Everything? Maybe you already have done some more. I just want Sakurai and team to see my ideas once, and then I'll be good. I just can't tell if they ended up on the site or not. (I translated my list of characters to some degree, but I couldn't translate my little suggestion letter on other aspects of the game.) West Coast Wes is apparently doing some translating, but I have no real way of knowing if my words have reached Sakurai and team.

ANY comments, help, suggestions, words of comfort from anyone is appreciated ;)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Ok, cool. I wonder what they would do with an English post/e-mail. Or an incredibly horribly translated letter... say if I were to put one through google translate.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
meh, i just sent mine in english. but i asked wes to translate it for good measure.

just be sure not to exceed the 1000 character limit. and i don't mean player characters. ;)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Burning Lava said:
SamuraiPanda,

Can you translate more? Anything? Everything? Maybe you already have done some more. I just want Sakurai and team to see my ideas once, and then I'll be good. I just can't tell if they ended up on the site or not. (I translated my list of characters to some degree, but I couldn't translate my little suggestion letter on other aspects of the game.) West Coast Wes is apparently doing some translating, but I have no real way of knowing if my words have reached Sakurai and team.
Translating anything more on that site is a waste of my time and even your time. Most of the comments Sakurai leaves are just silly little witty comments that are aiming to be funny, and most of them don't translate into English due to the culture behind the words.

There is a 0% chance that any American's suggestions run through a translator will appear on the site. Nearly all of the emails they post are chock-full of typical Japanese sentiment, culture, and overall attitude. So while they probably do recieve what you send them (although it makes sense after translation), they will not choose your email to represent what they have recieved thus far. That said, you cannot find out if they are even reading the emails you're sending.

As much as Ive enjoyed SmashBoards (by far the best community response to my translations, and I thank you all for your kind words) I am leaving tomorrow on a trip until Monday, so I wont be able to translate for you guys for the next couple of days. But I'm sure you can keep entertained until then ^_^

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
ARG! I'm on my home computer right now, not my personal computer at my dorm. I can't read the new update without Japanese text! ****it!

Sorry guys ;__;

EDIT: Just to clarify, along with the char bios, there are 10 more emails.

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
darn, i agree with trying to write to Sakurai to at least request it to be translated in english

thanx for doing all this and putting forth all the effort, Samurai Panda!!

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
SamuraiPanda,

Yes, we do greatly appreciate the translating you've done, and I don't know what other places are saying, but they must not really be that into Smash... [if they are trash talking or whatever]

Anyway, you seem to think that Sakurai (or whoever actually reads the posts) will not respond to American suggestions, but do you think he would respond to people pleading for some English support? I mean, if you e-mailed/messaged him in Japanese, maybe he could give a little message for the hordes of English speaking players. Just to sort of ease our minds, or give us some news or something.

This may be possible, because according to Sakurai himself, on Smash Bros. Dojo, he says,

"But this time, I'm doing it right. With the help of Nintendo of America's Localization group, this new site will be available in both English and Japanese!" So maybe he can be persuaded to issue a second statement to be translated, for the English site. Anything he has to say to us English speakers would be great, but if he could address the whole Americans-posting-on-Japanese-site thing, that would be great. Maybe he has some other ideas on how we can participate. I'm pretty sure he could calm this whole thing down with like two or three paragraphs... like 10 minutes of his time.

Could you ask him? Do you have any ideas? I could sleep so much better if I knew there were efforts being made to involve us in this Smash Brothers Journey. (or something)

Thanks

Gojira

Smash Lord
Nihonjin said:
As long as he only removes low tier characters (basically failures of the game) its all good O_O

*No more Pichu, No more Mewtwo, No more Boozers, no more G&W...that would be good >_>* (well not good but better than removing Fox -_-')

*edit*
Why would Brawl not have teching, airdodging and traction? >_>
Are you stupid? Remove Bowser? He is a Mascot of nintendo. They need to improove, not take him out.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Removing Bowser has to be the dumbest thing I've heard since a couple of noobs told me Namco was removing shield users from SC..<_<

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
at the end of the 40th post sakurai said "いずれにせよ、多くてあと1~2体ですかね?"
which translates to "watever happens, we'll only add at MOST 1 to 2 characters >_<

i might be wrong :p

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I never saw the point in there being both Doc and Mario. It's not like Falco and fox where they have different play styles and strengths, they are pretty much exactly the same.

gnosis

Smash Lord
HighInDaSky said:
which translates to "watever happens, we'll only add at MOST 1 to 2 characters >_<

....M, maybe it meant take away? They'll only take away 1-2 characters? I'm going to say you're wrong in desperation/denial. :(

Forastero

Smash Rookie
HighInDaSky said:

Please, PLEASE be wrong.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
*clings to Falcon* NOO you can't have him...

I can see them getting rid of pichu, jigz, Younglink, and Doc. but not really anyone else.\

When it comes to taking things out I say remove z-shield, its just annoying and gets in the way

frotaz37

Smash Lord
HighInDaSky said:

I don't really understand how you get that from two numbers and a bunch of question marks.

If you use a free translator, it basically looks like he's talking about the history of the characters and how many games they have been in, not how many new characters he's going to add.

Still...if you don't speek Japanese it's pretty hopeless...it's basically like I said, guessing the defenition of question marks and numbers :p

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Milpitas (nor-cal) &amp; Riverside (so-cal)
Psychoace said:
*clings to Falcon* NOO you can't have him...

I can see them getting rid of pichu, jigz, Younglink, and Doc. but not really anyone else.\

When it comes to taking things out I say remove z-shield, its just annoying and gets in the way
they are not going to remove Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff, if used correctly can be a devastating character and she has her own fanbase(which is huge). Nintendo is not dumb and would never remove such a character.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
they should remove y.link. or atleast make a new movset. because in Oot, y.link wasn't able to use the hook shot. ( i think, anyway. its been like, 8 years since i played :p) but it's still his grapple.

i also have an idea for the costumes. instead of just different colours, make different people. like mario can be doc, or link could be y.link. i can think of a who-le bunch if you want me to. so there is onlly like, 15 chars.

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
frotaz37 said:
I don't really understand how you get that from two numbers and a bunch of question marks.

If you use a free translator, it basically looks like he's talking about the history of the characters and how many games they have been in, not how many new characters he's going to add.

Still...if you don't speek Japanese it's pretty hopeless...it's basically like I said, guessing the defenition of question marks and numbers :p

dude i am japanese >_>
and im 95% sure about wat i said :)

D1

Banned via Administration
I really hope Sakurai just takes out one char and one char only...Pichu. Cuz there are alotta ppl that love Ganon, Roy, Doc, YL, and Falco more than the "orginal chars they were cloned from" also most ppl even main those chars over the "originals" so why the hell take them out? Who gives a flying patooty if a stupid reviewer from a website thinks that the clones have the exact same moves...they're not the exact same!!! They have different properties: For example, Doc and Mario's fsmash one has range other doesn't, their fairs are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Despite the fact that the animations may look the same it doesn't really matter to the hardcore smashers cuz they look like different chars.

Only reason I say take out Pichu is b/c even tho he's cool and fun to play w/ he still looks like a waste of memory to me. And it'd be disheartening to see Mewtwo just get taken off the list w/o even being improved.

So here's Nintendo doing the right thing. Oh yeah would it be bad if I tried to create a new thread called: "Petition for Nintendo to keep all 26 chars from Melee?"

This is aimed @ any mods that moderate this forum, reason I ask this is b/c I don't wanna just waste time typing up a thread and then ahve it deleted.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Last little thing on there said 5.18 up... I guess that's when they updated character section. Well now it's 8.25 a week later and they have Zamus and Wario... will they have Snake next Wednesday? Just a guess... patterns aren't definite I guess.

And whoever said Doc and Mario are not different is incorrect. Any great Doc or Mario player has their reasons for choosing them and it's not just the look, lemme tell ya :p

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Well its been confirmed that 0 suit samus will be replacing normal samus which is probably what he meant when eh said 'It is definate that not all chars will return'

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
D1 said:
Oh yeah would it be bad if I tried to create a new thread called: "Petition for Nintendo to keep all 26 chars from Melee?"
Yes, it would. Nintendo doesn't read our forum, so it would just waste space here.

Online petitions don't do anything.

takun said:
Well its been confirmed that 0 suit samus will be replacing normal samus which is probably what he meant when eh said 'It is definate that not all chars will return'
Wrong. Read it again:

Sakurai said:
And don't worry—you'll still be able to play as standard Samus, too.
Maybe I don't have as good of a handle on this... "English language," as you do, but when the director of the game says "you'll still be able to play as standard Samus, too," that kind of sounds to me like standard Samus is still in the game.

But again, maybe I'm wrong.

HighInDaSky said:

i might be wrong
I doubt that's actually what it says, considering they've already CONFIRMED 5 new characters.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
The idea of characters being removed doesn't make me happy, but I suppose if it has to happen it has to happen, as long as either Roy or Marth stays (preferably Roy for me) but who knows, guess we'll have to wait and see.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
ok i know that everyone wishes that all characters stay and all but that is really not that important we should expect the gay and glitchy characters to be taken out or modified i.e pichu and iceclimbers and really worry about the game itself like ( fair levels like FD, advanced tactics becuse i doubt they were put in on purpose like the WD and stuff and just look foward to the best cuz we all no this game will NOT suck but reality is we have played melee for 4 to six years or so (not sure) that means we will probly not think brawl is better just bcuz of the sheer time put into melee... Does n e 1 agree wit me?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
No.

Of COURSE Brawl is expected to be better. It's being directed by the same guy as the last two games, but now they've got an entire development studio behind the game (as opposed to it being one of several project at HAL Labs), and they've got more time than they did with the other games. In Sakurai(the director)'s own words, Smash 64 and Melee were "rushed" without him being able to do what was to him a satisfactory 1player mode.

Expect this game to outshine even Melee in every way.

Top Bottom