• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah.

Roy's popular.

Never doubt that.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
...Except for the people from the western Fire Emblem side. To them it's numbers over poetry, and Roy is one of those Lords that has low numbers.
I like Roy even if in his own game he is a little lackluster. But yea, you won't get all that many people who played his game in the west to vote for him in smash. His western fanbase is mostly all from Smash Brothers not really FE

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Less than 10% of the Western FE fanbase has even played a Japan-only FE game. Heck, I would not even be surprised it was as low as only 5% of Western FE fans have played Japan-only FE games. So its not really a notable opinion. Really, I think popularity in regards to lords in the West for the Western FE fanbase is only useful for lords whose games received an official release, since most of the Western fanbase has at least played those games.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Less than 10% of the Western FE fanbase has even played a Japan-only FE game. Heck, I would not even be surprised it was as low as only 5% of Western FE fans have played Japan-only FE games. So its not really a notable opinion. Really, I think popularity in regards to lords in the West for the Western FE fanbase is only useful for lords whose games received an official release, since most of the Western fanbase has at least played those games.
Well on the FE site i'm on Serenes Forest. A good chunk of its members have played most of the FE's including the Japanese only ones [myself included]. But then again one part of the internet is pretty small still regardless of the size of the district.

Edit: I think that i'm steering this off topic though. My apologies

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
Chronobound's Japanese's findings:

These results are a several weeks old, but most of the info is still probably fairly accurate.

My bad I forgot, though I can see why. ;):awesome:

Lol no zelda requests. Btw thanks for that post I needed something to help my theory of Roy's return.

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
You think Roy and Marth have good chemistry together because they are basically the same....except one have a red hair and the other have a blue hair...when you see Ike and Marth together you know that those two are different because one is quite rough looking and the other look girly...people saying they are similar because of hair color are the most shallow.... anyways even though Roy have things going for him I still want any other character instead of Roy...
So you would be all for it if Sakurai added Lissa for some odd reason? Because you said You want any other character besides Roy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lol no zelda requests. Btw thanks for that post I needed something to help my theory of Roy's return.
Keep in mind those findings are over a year old at this point, but they are at least a little more indicative of the popularity around when the roster was likely chosen (though they are also pre-Awakening release).

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind those findings are over a year old at this point, but they are at least a little more indicative of the popularity around when the roster was likely chosen (though they are also pre-Awakening release).
Oh it was pre Awakening? By now someone from awakening is likely to be chosen but I will still hope for Roy.

I wan't to see Marth,Roy,and Chrom or Robin for smash 4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh it was pre Awakening? By now someone from awakening is likely to be chosen but I will still hope for Roy.

I wan't to see Marth,Roy,and Chrom or Robin for smash 4.
Even after FE13's release there is still more interest in Roy's return than Chrom being added in Japan. Chrom, however, among the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 4 in Japan.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Even after FE13's release there is still more interest in Roy's return than Chrom being added in Japan. Chrom, however, among the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 4 in Japan.
Do you have a link to the Smash 4 polls for Japan? I'm quite curious as to what it looks like. [if it was on a previous page of this thread I apologize i'm in a hurry]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you have a link to the Smash 4 polls for Japan? I'm quite curious as to what it looks like. [if it was on a previous page of this thread I apologize i'm in a hurry]
Its not any specific polls. More like observations from the comments to blogs and forum topics.

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
Wow really I guess they really liked having a redhead in stead of blue haired lords. Jk

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
increasingly I have been thinking that the only way Chrom gets in is if he bumps out Ike. I don't think Sakurai will be intentionally cutting any characters this time outside of maybe Snake and Toon Link (replaced by another design for child Link possibly). Sakurai's statement also about wanting each newcomer to stand out, makes things particularly tricky for Chrom (as well as Lucina). I think if Sakurai absolutely wants a FE13 character he will probably go with the My Unit (or Anna if the idea somehow comes to him or IS). Seeing as Sakurai has went with the Villager (a fully customizable character with no defined appearance, name, or design), him going with the My Unit would not be too unprecedented.

If he does go that route, I could see Ike returning with a Chrom-inspired re-design (much like Marth's FE13 re-design was Lucina inspired). With Ike and Marth representing Chrom and Lucina respectively, and the My Unit in, that would effectively have all three main characters to FE13 in Smash 4 in some form (though with Chrom/Lucina not truly).

Roy I could then see ending up being one of the last characters added to the game (if he makes it). If Roy does get cut due to time constraints, I see him as a top priority for DLC.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is that one time you posted those polls on GameFAQs and the Roy haters peed their pants and did end up changing the results a bit. lol

D

Deleted member

The thing is that one time you posted those polls on GameFAQs and the Roy haters peed their pants and did end up changing the results a bit. lol
Hahaha, yeah. Luckily, I made sure this time to copy all the results so that no matter how much they change the result, we can always point towards the more accurate results displayed in here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hahaha, yeah. Luckily, I made sure this time to copy all the results so that no matter how much they change the result, we can always point towards the more accurate results displayed in here.
The problem is that unless you have screenshots no one will believe you.

Also, I think GameFAQs absolutely needs to bombed with those links of what the Japanese think of each FE game. The Roy haters are going to crying buckets of tears when they find out how highly they view FE6.

D

Deleted member

The problem is that unless you have screenshots no one will believe you.

Also, I think GameFAQs absolutely needs to bombed with those links of what the Japanese think of each FE game. The Roy haters are going to crying buckets of tears when they find out how highly they view FE6.
I already have the screenshots handy. Look at #982 again.

When I defend Roy, one thing I do is bring up the high score FE6 gets according to this. Interesting how FE6 is tied for 2nd best FE game according to this. Notably, FE13 was the third lowest rated game. Wonder if you have that Japanese website handy.

Also found the link where they spoke about Intelligent System thinking about remaking FE6 here.

Another thing, do you have the source where Sakurai said he hand-picked Roy to promote FE as a whole? You posted it shortly after FE: Awakening announcement on the very old thread back in late 2011.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
mk2 (the largest Japanese game fan review website):

FE10: Radiant Dawn (overall points of 75, Grade of A)
http://wiimk2.net/title.php?title=227

FE5: Thracia 776 (overall points of 82, no letter grade due to receiving very few reviews):
http://vc.wiimk2.net/title.php?title=540

FE4: Seisen no Keifu (overall points of 75, letter grade of C, curving for letter grades is harsher for VC titles):
http://vc.wiimk2.net/title.php?title=279

FE3: Monsho no Nazo (overall points of 71, letter grade of C, curving for letter grades is harsher for VC titles):
http://vc.wiimk2.net/title.php?title=276

FE9: Path of Radiance (overall points of 73, letter grade of A):
http://gcmk2.net/rpg/fireemblemsouen.html

FE6: Fuuin no Tsurigi (overall points of 78, letter grade of A):
http://gba-mk2.com/srpg/fire.html

FE7: Rekka no Ken (overall points of 78, letter grade of A):
http://gba-mk2.com/srpg/fire2/index.html

FE8: Sacred Stones (overall points of 65, letter grade of C):
http://gba-mk2.com/srpg/fire3.html

FE12: Shin Monsho no Nazo (overall points of 75, letter grade of A):
http://ndsmk2.net/title.php?title=1988

FE11: Shadow Dragon (overall points of 60, letter grade of C):
http://ndsmk2.net/title.php?title=1017

FE13: Awakening: (overall points of 69, letter grade of B):
http://ndsmk2.net/3ds/title.php?title=233

I also got a compilation of all the Amazon links to for Amazon it goes like:

Five-star average:
FE4

4.5 star average:
FE6
FE7
FE3

Four star average:
Rest of the series

3.5 star average:
FE11
FE8

Also, have a compilation of the review scores from Famitsu (FE6 is tied with FE3 and FE13 as being the highest reviewed FE game from Famitsu).

So with both fan and professional critic reviews saying FE6 is among the best games in the series, I wonder what legs those Roy haters will have left to stand on. Probably the BS excuse of "Roy fans not having played his game.

Yeah, using their logic.

If you have not played FE1, FE3, FE11, or FE12, you are not a fan of Marth, and should be ashamed for liking him.

If you have not played FE9 or FE10, you are not a fan of Ike, and should be ashamed for liking him.

If you have not played Mother 3, you are not a fan of Lucas, and should be ashamed for liking him.

If you have not played EarthBound, you are not a fan of Ness, and should be ashamed for liking him.

If you have not played a F-Zero game, you are not a fan of Captain Falcon, and should be ashamed for liking him.

If you have not played Ice Climber (which is objectively a pretty mediocre game at best), you are not a fan of the Ice Climbers and should be ashamed for liking them.

If you have not played Gyromite or Stack Up (again pretty shoddy games), you are not a fan of ROB, and should be ashamed for liking them.

These people are the worst kind of fanboys and idiots.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I never knew FE6 was regarded so highly among fans & critics. While that doesn't help out Roy's chances, it does make for a better argument. Some people cannot see past the cloned character from SSBM, which is a shame.

I heard once that Marth is more of a stabbing kind of swordsman, whereas the moveset we saw for both of them in SSBM was much more suited for Roy's character. Interesting?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a list of the scores of the entire Fire Emblem series (except for the Famicom titles, I don't think Famitsu existed when those games were made) from Famtisu:

Fire Emblem Fuuin no Tsurugi: 9 9 8 10 (GBA) (36 / 40)
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken - 9, 9, 8, 8 (34 / 40)
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones 9,9,9,8 (35 / 40)

Famitsu score for the entire series in general

* Awakening - 36
* New Myster of the Emblem - 34
* Shadow Dragon - 34
* Radiant Dawn - 33
* Path of Radiance - 34
* The Sacred Stones - 35
* Blazing Sword - 34
* Sword of Seals - 36
* Thracia 776 - 35
* Genealogy of the Holy War - 31
* Mystery of the Emblem - 36

FE series is pretty consistent in terms of the score it received from Famitsu.​

D

Deleted member

Good stuff ChronoBound. Those Famitsu and Amazon links would be helpful as well.
ChronoBound said:
So with both fan and professional critic reviews saying FE6 is among the best games in the series, I wonder what legs those Roy haters will have left to stand on. Probably the BS excuse of "Roy fans not having played his game.
Actually, there's still a lot more BS arguments to cover such as "Roy is hated as a lord" (which is different from "FE6 is hated!"), but that is covered by the Intelligent System poll I linked to by the last poll. Also "Roy is a terrible Lord", but since I haven't played a FE game yet, there's not much I can say about that (though I am going to try to find a way to play FE6 legally in English, even if what I have to do will be expensive and require patching).

We have to keep bombarding that place with evidence that makes Roy a good choice. Only then can Roy fans start to gain ground in there. Also, Roy being extremely highly requested in Japan is very important. Mega Man was the most wanted newcomer and got considerably less demand than Roy and Mewtwo do in Japan. If Mega Man could get in, why wouldn't Sakurai try to bring back Roy?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good stuff ChronoBound. Those Famitsu and Amazon links would be helpful as well.
There are no links to the Famitsu reviews, since its a print magazine. I already made a post with the review scores for the entire series. I will probably put up a post with the Amazon links when I have the time.

As for "Roy is weak", of course I made a very detailed post combating this. However, simply playing devil's advocate, even if "Roy is weak", it should not disqualify him. People love him for how he was in Melee and FE6 (at least in Japan on the latter). That should be enough. We should pretty much mock them that they use a silly metric such as "this guy can one-shot the map, and your's can't" as a metric for determining which FE characters should be in.

I have pretty ambitious plans for taking back GameFAQs from the blithering Roy haters, but I am going to need every single one of you. Next week, I am going to re-start the Knights of Elibe, and starting handing out invites.

Its going to be a hellish 1.5 years ahead for our fanbase. We probably are going to see the most fights of any other fanbase during the remainder of pre-Smash 4, but that is simply going to make victory and Roy's confirmation for return even more satisfying (perhaps the one fanbase to have the most satisfying confirmation during pre-Brawl was Wolf's, simply due to how hard that fanbase fought and how much they were attacked).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I posted these on Miiverse and thought I'd share them here.

Though I can't reaaly draw, I think I'll make more of these things... it's just too much fun lol.

I'd appreciate it if someone has the link to where Sakurai specifically said that both Marth and Roy were added to help promote FE. I remeber reading about it, I think. Was it on the Melee dojo? I don't recall...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I find myself going back to play Melee just to play as Roy again. I don't understand how people didn't like him enough for him to return.

Though I find myself preferring clones which is irritating since it's likely they'll disappear. Roy, Falco & Lucas are like my favorites

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find myself going back to play Melee just to play as Roy again. I don't understand how people didn't like him enough for him to return.
He played like a worse version of Marth, like if Marth lacked that synergy he'd be Roy. The cheaply tacked on fire effects alone was not good enough to compensate for this flaw.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
He played like a worse version of Marth, like if Marth lacked that synergy he'd be Roy. The cheaply tacked on fire effects alone was not good enough to compensate for this flaw.
I very much disagree. Marth was okay for me, but I would rather be right up close and personal rather than at a distance, I definitely preferred Roy's hitbox area of expertise

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ironically playing a close combat playstyle is the main flaw for Roy. That lack of distance due to the hitbox properties of Roy's Sword of Seals made him very vulnerable to retaliation, whether that's from a grab or another attack. His sourspot on the tip was somehow more pathetic then Marth's sourspot on the base too.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
...phosphorous for Smash 4? :troll:

seriously, though, can somebody tell me who phosphorous is supposed to be?
Don't know, but I presume the character is correlated to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, the 6th game in the series. I say that because "(Sword of Recca) Eriuddo" is referring to Eliwood from Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame, so I'd presume "Flame of Recca" is referring to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Unless both are referring to the same game, but even then there isn't a character that could translate to "phosphorous" in that game.

If I had a raw Japanese version of this poll, I could dissect the names easily. Translations from an online translator are very sketchy.

D

Deleted member

Don't know, but I presume the character is correlated to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, the 6th game in the series. I say that because "(Sword of Recca) Eriuddo" is referring to Eliwood from Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame, so I'd presume "Flame of Recca" is referring to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Unless both are referring to the same game, but even then there isn't a Lord that could translate to "phosphorous" in that game.

If I had a raw Japanese version of this poll, I could dissect the names easily. Translations from an online translator is very sketchy.
Granted I know pretty much no Japanese, but I can set it to where you can dissect the name (in Japanese). Give me half a hour and I should have a new picture up...

Edit: Late, but new picture for Habanero:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom