• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
That's the spirit Johnknight!

Anyway, my main priority will be Mega Man (although it will be more to keep the fan base from collapsing should he not get into SSB4), but should Mega Man be confirmed tomorrow, Roy will end up being my main priority to add. I also plan on support other characters as well such as Bowser Jr. and Dixie Kong.
Start werkin'.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Things just got harder for Roy.

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

And what about returning characters? I knew Sakurai wouldn't want to get too specific—Nintendo likes to announce characters for their big mascot fighting series with a dripfeed of news on the Smash Bros. Dojo website—but should fans expect all of their favorites from Melee and Brawl?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.
People are going to be going after Roy(and probably even Ike more now) since people are going to go crazy with the above quote and see Fire Emblem characters as possible opponents to their handle of wanted characters for a Smash 4 slot... So how as this different from before? Most people were fine with Fire Emblem getting at least 3 slots for Smash 4.... And I bet you from now people are going to start posting 2 FE slots per roster a lot more commonly so they can fit in the characters they want. Not only do we have to deal with other FE character's supporters, but basically every other newcomer(and even veteran) characters in general.

The saddest part is that Roy could very well end up in a similar situation as Brawl, where he might be planned for Smash 4, but might end up being neglected for another character due to restrictions.

D

Deleted member

Start werkin'.
I'm on it. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to dissect the quote you post and make a thread on GameFAQs as to why Roy has the best shot to be the next Fire Emblem character.

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the people who want Roy back are the ones that never played his game. I can tell you that if you all played Fire Emblem 6 you'd realize that Roy is probably the worst lord in the series.

Keep Ike and add an Awakening character. Ike has gotten an updated look from his sequel since Brawl and Awakening has been way too popular to not add a character from. Roy just isn't relevant.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the people who want Roy back are the ones that never played his game. I can tell you that if you all played Fire Emblem 6 you'd realize that Roy is probably the worst lord in the series.

Keep Ike and add an Awakening character. Ike has gotten an updated look from his sequel since Brawl and Awakening has been way too popular to not add a character from. Roy just isn't relevant.
First off, it doesn't matter why people want Roy. If people want him because of Melee, that's a good reason. This is why I want to see Roy back and it's a perfectly acceptable reason.

But even then, that's not the only reason why people want to see Roy back. In Japan, Fire Emblem 6 was critically acclaimed and sold well, so in there, people don't want him just because of Melee but because they liked him in Fire Emblem 6 as well.

Awakening being a popular game does not mean that it is going to get a character. Ike's game bombed in Japan and yet he showed up in Brawl, so sales obviously mean nothing when it comes to deciding characters.

Also, Roy is "relevant". He received a dramatic re-design in FE13 that was very positively received (and was one of the first DLCs for Awakening in Japan).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Jigglypuff is among the worst Pokémon stat-wise. I suppose you want cut her as well. :rolleyes:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I kind of like getting new Fire Emblem characters in every new Smash, but have nothing against Roy really. But keeping Marth and Ike, adding Roy and maybe a new one would make it four reps for FE... Sounds a bit steep.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I've played FE6 and I don't think he's the worst lord in the series at all. I know several other Roy supporters who have played it as well and obviously don't think he's the worst lord.

If you mean personality wise, then I'd say that pretty much no Fire Emblem lord has had the best personality ever in their starring game. Marth, Ike, Chrom all have 'eh' personalities and backstories if you compared them to pretty much any fleshed out character of another video game. Nintendo definitely isn't a gaming company known for their great characterization. Just look at some of their most popular characters.. Super iconic character that appeals to children entirely based on looks and abilities within their game (Mario/Pikachu/Kirby).. Blank slate hero syndrome(Link/Samus), so you can place yourself in their shoes.. Stereotypical villains tailored to oppose a given hero (Bowser/Ganondorf)..

Anyway my point is Nintendo isn't the best when it comes to making good story-driven characters with likeable personalities, although I'll give them credit that they've been doing better with it lately. Skyward Sword had more characterization than pretty much all previous Zelda games put together. And even though most people hated how Samus was in Other M, at least they TRIED to make her into a real character. D:

If you mean Roy is horrible stat wise or overall usefulness within the game. Then lolno. If you want more info on this, I'd be glad to go copy/paste ChronoBound's ttlylegit evidence proving otherwise.

Also, I'd just like to say that Roy detractors are usually the ones who haven't played his game. Which is perfectly fine since the game wasn't released internationally, I don't expect you to. But what's funny is that they then try to point at the game and say 'Look! Look how bad FE6 and Roy is!!' which they base off of what they heard about it from another Roy detractor..... Who also has never played the game.

I'd like to know how Roy is not the worst of the series.

FE1,3 Marth is a useful combat unit. FE2 Alm is great and the other female lord is usable too being a magic user for chip damage at the very least.
FE4 Sigurd Emblem. His son with inheritance is quite useful too.
FE5 No comment on as I have no played it yet.
FE6 Roy is not great even when you can use him. Eventually, he falls behind way too much.
FE7 Lyn has enough speed and the special sword to be useful. Eliwood ends up staying above enemy stats and therefore useful combat. Hector is jsut great.
FE8 Eirika is similar to Lyn. Emphairm is just great too.
FE9 Ike lol
FE10 Ike again lol Micaiah is more useful than roy because she can at least provide support even when underleveled.
FE11/12 Falchion is great and marth is still great for the whole game.
FE13 Similar thing yet again with a great lord for combat.

Even if Roy is pretty bad in melee and the series, I still like the character for melee.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I want Roy back and I've played Sword of Seals. Yes I admit he is one of the weakest lords, but he has a coolness factor going for him. He got me into Fire Emblem in General. Your theory is incorrect in my case

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'd like to know how Roy is not the worst of the series.

FE1,3 Marth is a useful combat unit. FE2 Alm is great and the other female lord is usable too being a magic user for chip damage at the very least.
FE4 Sigurd Emblem. His son with inheritance is quite useful too.
FE5 No comment on as I have no played it yet.
FE6 Roy is not great even when you can use him. Eventually, he falls behind way too much.
FE7 Lyn has enough speed and the special sword to be useful. Eliwood ends up staying above enemy stats and therefore useful combat. Hector is jsut great.
FE8 Eirika is similar to Lyn. Emphairm is just great too.
FE9 Ike lol
FE10 Ike again lol Micaiah is more useful than roy because she can at least provide support even when underleveled.
FE11/12 Falchion is great and marth is still great for the whole game.
FE13 Similar thing yet again with a great lord for combat.

Even if Roy is pretty bad in melee and the series, I still like the character for melee.
http://smashboards.com/threads/you-...mblem-discussion.324264/page-26#post-15383711

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well from experience, I would say that Marth in the first Fire Emblem game (and by extension Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) is probably the worse Lord, mainly because he cannot be promoted like later Lords in the series. He does have some decent stats during the early parts of the game, but later parts he becomes more of a nuisance.

I've heard Leif is proclaimed the worse Lord gameplay wise, but from experience I wouldn't know.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Well from experience, I would say that Marth in the first Fire Emblem game (and by extension Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) is probably the worse Lord, mainly because he cannot be promoted like later Lords in the series. He does have some decent stats during the early parts of the game, but later parts he becomes more of a nuisance.

I've heard Leif is proclaimed the worse Lord gameplay wise, but from experience I wouldn't know.
Leif has his unique nuances that keep him handy even if he has a late promotion [Like Roy but FE5's stat caps are all 20 barring HP] his own unique weapon which he starts the game off with, The Light Sword [which his mother Ethlyn got in FE4] is a distance attack magic sword which helps him eat away at the more heavily armored units. Plus he can use it to heal himself if he likes.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I'm not here to talk about Roy, I don't care as long as he doesn't take chroms spot which he likely won't. But perusing this thread I saw someone mention that Ike has an eh... personality. (Checking back it was colaya). You sir are very wrong. That is all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, there is more to talk about Ike then the other Lords, which is probably contributed to him being a mercenary instead of having noble blood like a large portion of the Lords.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Well, there is more to talk about Ike then the other Lords, which is probably contributed to him being a mercenary instead of having noble blood like a large portion of the Lords.
Ike also has one of the best stories of Fire Emblem in my humble opinion I loved Path of Radiance. Radiant Dawn was also pretty good despite some plot hiccups.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Also due to the story of his game being one of the best, and the fact that he has the strongest personality and conviction of the lords, IMO. Chrom also has a strong personality, and a stronger backstory, but I know you would disagree so no point in getting into that.

•Col•

Smash Champion
But perusing this thread I saw someone mention that Ike has an eh... personality. (Checking back it was colaya). You sir are very wrong. That is all.
Compared to other Fire Emblem lords? Perhaps.

Compared to story driven video games as a whole? LOLno.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Compared to other Fire Emblem lords? Perhaps.

Compared to story driven video games as a whole? LOLno.
I can agree with that to an extent. Being a game that is so based on character diversity and with the sheer amount of characters, it's hard to flesh out the protagonists as much as other RPGs and games where the focus is on one character or a small group of characters, like your average action game or rpg. But in regards to other Nintendo characters and especially the other fire emblem characters Ike has a strong personality. This is mainly due to the standout story writing in both PoR and RD. The whole tellius saga is the most enjoyable story I have ever played in a fire emblem game. Other than that, since fire emblem 5 (since I have no experience before that, also none with 12) the fire emblem games suffer from an extremely predictable and cliched story. This really hurts especially the lords in most of the games besides awakening, which while having a not great story, did have superb character development. Roy, Marth, ephraim, Eirika, lyn, and Eliwood definetly suffer from extreme boringness in the character department though.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Roy, Marth, ephraim, Eirika, lyn, and Eliwood definetly suffer from extreme boringness in the character department though.
I would heartly disagree with all of these, development they may not have gotten in their stories [like Roy so much but the others had their growth moments] were developed in their support talks. Eirika and Ephraim especially. They grow quite a bit and even have flashbacks to show you how they became the way they are. Eliwood is a character I admire. He's like Cecil of final fantasy fame except without the dark knight origins. He is kind, wise etc. He develops more strength after bits in the story that I'd rather not spoil meanwhile. I'd argue Hector is one of the lords who never changes what so ever.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I would heartly disagree with all of these, development they may not have gotten in their stories [like Roy so much but the others had their growth moments] were developed in their support talks. Eirika and Ephraim especially. They grow quite a bit and even have flashbacks to show you how they became the way they are. Eliwood is a character I admire. He's like Cecil of final fantasy fame except without the dark knight origins. He is kind, wise etc. He develops more strength after bits in the story that I'd rather not spoil meanwhile. I'd argue Hector is one of the lords who never changes what so ever.
Development and being cliched and predictable are different. Of course they aren't going to be exactly the same, but most of them stay fairly true to The Lord stereotype, other than lyn I suppose. But she is the most boring in personality I'd say. Hector would fit in perfectly with the fierce warrior stereotype, other than the fact that he is a lord.

Some of these are more boring then others I guess. IMO Eirika is the most predictable, be honest as soon as you see her, you know her entire plot.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
i would love to see roy return, but that would only be if he got a different moveset. If roy doesn't get any moves that are new and original, then the slot would be a waste for other characters that could be there like ike or another nintendo character. I personally would want to see Marth, Krom, and Roy(new moveset) or ike

TreK

Is "that guy"
I don't care if it's roy or not, but I want the 'tipper for combos, get in to kill' feel back. And if it comes with a flaming sword, then it can't get much better.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I don't care if it's roy or not, but I want the 'tipper for combos, get in to kill' feel back. And if it comes with a flaming sword, then it can't get much better.
I'm not totally sure the reverse tipper mechanic should come back or not. I do feel he should have some unique mechanic though... I've seen several ideas.

1. Reverse tipper returns from Melee, but is just balanced better overall, so that tipped attacks aren't complete booty

2. Rather than reverse tipped attacks simply doing more damage and knockback, it would work differently than Marths... Something like Roy's popular Brawl community created moveset, where tipped attacks actually pull enemies in. Alternatively, maybe tipped attacks with the Sword of Seals could do more damage and have a set knockback/hitstun, while reverse tips would still have the dramatic increase in knockback. So basically, he'd still having a spacing/tipper mechanic, it would just work much differently than just an inverse of Marth's, like it was in Melee.

3. The tipper mechanics are completely removed from Roy and instead he gets a completely new mechanic based on a Special Move which engulfs the Sword of Seals in flames and gives all of his normal attacks unique properties and ph1r3 animations.

Either way I'm sure he will feel incredibly unique if he gets even a little bit more effort put into him than he did in Melee. :3c

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yeah, that's what I meant : the reverse tipper mechanic was sexy, but executed poorly. Since I don't think they want clones anymore, if it's back, it's going to be back in a completely different way, but the feel of getting in your opponent's face and being a scary rampaging beast will remain, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I loved Roy as a character in Melee. I really did, so much so that he was my all time favorite character in the game. But, other than Melee, I have no connection to his character. His game is looked down upon as the worst of the GBA FE's, and although he was planned to be in Brawl, I think it's a bit too late for him to return. Why not choose a character from one of the best, most critically acclaimed FE characters of all time? I have no opposition to Roy fans, but may I ask you this, what makes you possibly think that Chrom will NOT get in? Is he not capable enough, is his personality dull? Chrom can wield both lances and swords, and with his class change into a Great Lord, he is more than capable of being a fighter in Smash. And as for personality, why should that even matter? Even if it does, he has more of a character than Roy did in FE 6, so by that fact, all arguments that Roy should be in over Chrom because of Chrom's "dull" personality are irrelevant. ANd I've said this before, but think about this from Intelligent System's perspective. If Sakurai goes to Intelligent S. for advice on an FE character for SSB4 like he did with Ike in Brawl, who do you think they would recommend? Won;t they gravitate toward Awakening... the most critically acclaimed in the series, the game approaching 1 M units sold, the game that opened FE up to a wider audience, the game that the team put their total effort into.... to ensure that FE would not become an extinct and forgotten franchise. Awakening essentially saved FE, and the team must be proud of what they have accomplished (see Iwata aska feature), and so in my opinion, Intelligent Systems has no reason to recommedn Roy over Chrom, because Awakening and Chrom are simply far more deserving to be represented in Smash. If by some miracle FE received four character slots, then by all means, Roy deserves to stay apart of the roster. But is FE is to have 3 slots like most here predict, then keep Marth (face of Fire Emblem), Ike (arguably most popular FE character in the West), and add Chrom (for reasons mentioned above). Please understand that I really do like Roy, and as much as I want him to be playable, I think that Roy getting in over Chrom is ludicrous...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think that Roy getting in over Chrom is ludicrous...
For starters, Roy has already been in Smash, so adding him is easier than making a new character (Chrom) from scratch.

Secondly, given that Roy was planned for Brawl, it means Sakurai must have put some thought into his moveset, which he can use this time.

Again, there exists a possibility that Sakurai might use those ideas for Chrom, but chances are low, since Chrom doesn't use a fire sword.

EDIT: You should really split your passage to make it more readable. No one likes a large block oftext.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But, other than Melee, I have no connection to his character. His game is looked down upon as the worst of the GBA FE's,.
No. Nowhere is FE6 looked upon as the worst game in the GBA trilogy. That goes to FE8.

Its really going to be hilarious once the links to Japanese review sites become widely circulated and it shows that FE6 is actually a FAVORITE of the Japanese FE fanbase. Its really going to upheave the super hardcore (the pirates) who make up the Western FE fanbase.

D

Deleted member

I think it's time that we start working on counters to arguments made against Roy's inclusion. Here are some I have in mind we can work on refuting:
- Roy was only added to promote Fire Emblem 6.
- Roy won't get priority over the most recent lord.
- Roy is only popular because of Melee. Roy is hated in his own game.
- Roy was a clone in Melee; he'll be a clone if he returns.
- Roy is irrelevant/not recent.
- Roy was replaced by Ike in Brawl.
- Roy sucks as a lord in his game.

I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones I can think of. It's very important we link to everything we say in order to convince people.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think it's time that we start working on counters to arguments made against Roy's inclusion. Here are some I have in mind we can work on refuting:
- Roy was only added to promote Fire Emblem 6. Sakarai also liked him as a character and thought he would be different from Marth more than the other Lords due to his fire sword.
- Roy won't get priority over the most recent lord. FE14 could very well be a remake of FE6, IS has shown that they still care about him and that if they were to make another remake it would be Roy's game. He is also the most wanted FE character along with him being the 2nd most finished character for Brawl.
- Roy is only popular because of Melee. Roy is hated in his own game. According to a recent poll, Roy is the most popular Japan only FE character
- Roy was a clone in Melee; he'll be a clone if he returns. If Ike was going to have his neutral B be Titiana's Axe, we can assume that eruption was going to be Roy's neutral B and possibly Ike's FS could have been Roy's.
- Roy is irrelevant/not recent.FE14 could very well be a remake of FE6, IS has shown that they still care about him and that if they were to make another remake it would be Roy's game.
- Roy was replaced by Ike in Brawl. Not exactly. Roy was originally going to be in Brawl along with Ike like how Mewtwo was originally going to be with Lucario. However, Sakarai felt that the newer characters should recieve priority since they would be new and he felt that the fans would like that more. If it were not for time constraints and Sonic getting in late, we probably would have gotten them.
- Roy sucks as a lord in his game.Does that even matter?

I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones I can think of. It's very important we link to everything we say in order to convince people.
Responses in red

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Some people are very unwavering; we cannot convince everyone (even if our arguments make complete sense). And that's okay. What I hope is that people who are not Roy supporters will understand that he is a legitimate contender, and that a lot of the misconceptions can be debunked... I just hope that they will respect why we support Roy. I'm personally getting annoyed when people get criticized for supporting Roy just because he's considered "crappy" in both FE6 and Melee.

I've made a quick moveset. I'm sure it's not balance, but I don't really care. It's more or less to give you a general idea how I envision Roy (mostly how I'd like to see Roy). I've already said that I'm expecting Roy to be a semi-clone if he gets in, but there is always the possibility that he will be revamped (as they could draw a lot of ideas from his source game). And I hope all of this makes sense. I'm not the best at explaining these things lol.

[collapse=Moveset]
Overview

Fitting the glass cannon archetype, Roy's strengths are his raw damage output, speed, and extreme priority for some of his moves. He is good at pressuring and hard to approach. While having this luxury, however, Roy has trouble keeping his feet on the ground. He suffers from high end-lag for various moves as well as having some of the worst defences, as he has a very fast falling speed (suffering a shorter recovery) and is vulnerable to combos...etc [insert more balancing stuff here since I'm horrible at this stuff].

Roy uses his signature weapon, the Sword of Seals. And here's a pic of it:

Wait...a seal wielding the Sword of Seals... seems legit.

Anyway, the sword itself is a two-handed broadsword that can create fire projectiles and heal the wielder. In retrospect, is really doesn't make sense for Roy to be a semi-clone of Marth, as broadswords handle differently than a rapier (see Marth's swordplay versus Ike and Link's). Roy's entry will have him unsheathe his sword like in his source game. To get a feel, Roy swings his sword with two hands similar to Ike for some standard attacks. Roy also drops his sweetspot/sourspot mechanic that he has in Melee (due to simplicity sake. I know it could work if implanted properly. I'm just leaving it out for now). Essentially, Marth is the only one with that gimmick.

Moveset (revamped)

A quick moveset that I've made up. There are many unique ideas that Roy can take from his source game. I'd love to see more fire based attacks incorporated:

B - Heatwave: Swings his sword and shoots out an arch-shaped flame that quickly travels fast whatever direction Roy's facing. The longer the move is charged, the stronger it becomes (the move can be stored like Samus' Charge Shot).

Fully charged: Roy swings his sword as seen in his source game and a more powerful flame travels. If in opponent is in contact with Roy's sword during the initial release (the animation when Roy swings his sword), opponents will take heavy damage and horizontal knockback. If the flame itself gets into contact with anything (opponent, intercepting projectile, wall, etc), a small explosion will happen (similar to this), damaging anyone caught in its radius.

B > - Aethon Dance: An altered Double-Edge Dance with Roy being able to backflip at any point and charge at an opponent. For simplicity sake, the move will be divided into two "phases", similar how PK Thunder is divided into:

PKT1: The initial release of PK Thunder where you control the bolt.
PKT2: The attack where Ness/Lucas is blasted as a result of PK Thunder hitting the user

Aethon Dance will be divided into:

AD1: The combo-like sword dance similar to Dancing Blade or DED. However, there are a few alterations
AD2: The backflip Roy does (in any part during AD1), as well as a fiery dash in the direction he's facing

Aethon Dance has basically the same combinations/controls as DED. AD1^3 (3rd hit up) retains DED^3's spiking ability like in Melee (see here).

At any time during AD1, you can input AD2: Roy will do a quick backflip (with the input of whatever button). Once back on the ground, Roy will ignite his sword, and dash forward (over a reasonable distance), dragging the SoS along the ground. The sword being dragged creates a fiery trail behind Roy, lasting for a couple of seconds. Anyone caught in the fire will take damage.

During the dash, if Roy gets near an opponent, he will swing his sword upwards, slashing the opponent (like some sort of flaming uppercut). This sends the opponent flying upwards (high vertical knockback).

Notes

- AD2's dash can only be cancelled before Roy starts to dash
- Roy will do a front flip if the opposite direction Roy is facing is tapped as soon as AD2 is used
- AD1 4th hit will not have any knockback and initial damage. Instead, if successfully hit (the fourth
hit is the hardest to land successful), it will "trap" the opponent in a flaming pillar (damage slowly goes up until released; similar to Flower status), essentially stunning the opponent for a couple of seconds
- The backflip is based on Roy's backflip animation in SoS
- AD2 cannot be used in the air

This moveset needs more.... PHIR3!!

B v - Sol: Similar in FE6, Roy holds his sword upwards, as it emits a shining light. He slowly heals himself (think Ivysaur's Synthesis in Project M) up to a reasonable amount.

Fully healed: Roy's sword ignites and can release a fireball (by pressing B v again). This attack can be slightly aimed up or down and goes through multiple opponents, damaging and burning them. The fireball starts off doing good damage. However, for each opponent the move passes through, the hit box becomes bigger and does more damage + knockback to the next opponent.

B ^ - Flare Warp: Similar animation to Marth and Ike's entrance, Roy teleports over a small distance. When Roy travels from point A to point B, a stream of fire follows behind him, lasting until Roy re-appears. Anyone caught will flinch.

Final Smash: Flames of Torment

This is Roy's FS...

Jk although it would make absolutely no sense, it would be pretty badass though

The real FS: Roy summons two dragon-shaped flames on both sides of him. They travel upwards, twisting around each other. This creates a fire vortex around Roy. Anyone caught will be trapped in a mini vortex. Once the flames reach a certain height, they part, diving downwards; one towards Roy's left, and the other to his right. Once near Roy's position, the flames then travel horizontally until they reach the left and right blast zones. Anyone caught in this phase will receive heavy damage and get pushed horizontally with the flames.

Notes

- Roy is helpless until the flames part at the certain height
- Opponents trapped in the vortex will be released once the flames start to travel horizontally
- The SoS was used to help seal away Idenn. This ability is referenced through the vortexes (FS) or fire pillars (AD1 4th hit), as the opponents are basically "sealed" away for a couple of seconds.

Taunts

1 - The same as in Melee. Roy sheaths his sword, stretches out his palm, saying a "hiiiiyaaaah"
2 - "I'm on fiyah! Tsssh"
3 - Pulls out a margarita, ignites it with the SoS, and takes a sip :shades:

Fire users in video games?

I think Roy can draw many inspirations from various fire users in other video games. I'm compiling a list right now, just in case people are interested (and cuz I'm bored).

- Sol Badguy

- Phoenix

- Ruca Milda

- Brand: For those who are unfamiliar to League of Legends, Brand has the ability to cast 4 spells. Because of Brand's ability Blaze, if any spell successfully hits an opponents, it sets them ablaze (kinda like Burn status effect in Pokemon). If another spells hits while the opponents is ablaze, the spell will gain additional effects depending on what's cast (additional damage, stun, etc). As said in the video, the spells and ability have good synergy; they create deadly combos. I've heard a similar idea for Roy before (Roy attacks do more damage to a "burned" opponent or something like that) and immediately thought of Brand.

- This random guy...

[/collapse]

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
- Roy was only added to promote Fire Emblem 6.
- Roy won't get priority over the most recent lord.
- Roy is only popular because of Melee. Roy is hated in his own game.
- Roy was a clone in Melee; he'll be a clone if he returns.
- Roy is irrelevant/not recent.
- Roy was replaced by Ike in Brawl.
- Roy sucks as a lord in his game.

The main one I would ask would be that Roy was released in a game that was only released in Japan.

In relation to that one, there are other characters whose games have been released world wide who have yet to appear in Smash. Why would get priority over those?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Since Roy was already established in Smash, I think FE6 being Japanese-only has little to no effect on his chances; he was an overall well-received inclusion, despite [Western] fans not even playing his source game. He's highly requested, not only here (in the West), but probably even more popular in Japan.

Yes, there are many other characters whose games have been released worldwide. In the context of FE, realistically, I do believe the FE contenders competing for a third spot (I'm assuming Marth and Ike are both returning) are most likely Chrom and Roy. I'd be a bit surprised to see anyone else get in (not that I'd be upset or anything. In the end I'd probably be cool with it.).

I'd like to work on the counter arguments as well (once I get the time though). At least if we compile a list, we won't have to waste time on people who are giving us trouble by just copypastaing the counter arguments + info, or just link them to here.

D

Deleted member

Nope.

Sorry D:

Unless Sakurai is a softy.
And your reason would be why?

I also want people to notice this. These are official polls done by Intelligent System:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/index.html

Note that Roy was in 1st place. In comparison, here's the official FE7 poll also conducted by Intelligent System:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/ae7j/k_tohyo/index.html

Eliwood is in 2nd, Hector is in 3rd and Lyn is in 6th. No lord ever made it into 1st.

So this poll does show that people do like Roy in Japan.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is also reviews by big Japanese review sites that show FE6 is among the most popular games in the series in Japan. The most popular ones seem to be FE3, FE4, FE6, and FE7. FE6 is also tied with FE3 and FE13 as the highest rated FE game from Famitsu.

Also, here is a bit of good news for Roy indirectly because it could mean very bad news for Chrom. Here is what Sakurai said very recently:

On the other hand, even if you have a character suited for a fighting game, if you can't make him stick out from the pack and extract something unique from him, then what can you do?
I don't think Chrom will get in unless he happens to bump out Ike. Whether Sakurai feels comfortable with booting out Ike (especially after the backlash for removing Roy) remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom