• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
I put the riivolution v1.01 folder in the apps,
another riivolution folder in the root with the FCP XML inside it. But whenever I start up the riivolution it asks me to enable it but even when I do that it doesn't load any textures at all.

I have the private folder with all the things in it in the root, yet the XML doesnt read the pacs/pcs in my pf folder
This... except I am using the other Brawl way.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Just confirming that it works for brawl. :) Anyone get it to work with mario kart yet? Theres an xml up now. I tried downloading a mr l file, put it in X/mkw/(file) but it didnt work :(

Plus, when I updated to 1.01 today, and went to click on in in HBC, it displayed as v1.0... did this show for anyone else?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Is there any other way to figure out an exact method to add Ocarina codes? The documentation now is still a bit confusing even for me to figure out and I'd add Riivolution to the Brawl+ updater in an instant if there was a clearer way of launching Ocarina codes... :ohwell:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It's easy Bionic. Just add the XML to SD:/Riivolution.

Where the GCT goes, however... I don't know

EDIT: Awww, Riivolution freezes if you take out the SD, even if you put it back in, and it has to load something... This is far from practical for testing pacs... ):

I'll stick with File Patch for that, since it falls back on disk if it has an error reading. >:

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
for the people who got it working with the 2nd XML (ssbbfiles) did you do the following things in the SD card?

- download the riivolution v1.01 which has a map like this: riivolution>apps>riivolution. copy the last riivolution folder and put that in the already existing apps folder of the SD card.

-Download the ssbbfiles.xml, make a new folder called ''riivolution'', put it in the SD root and put the XML inside.

according to this the XML should read anything in the private folder which is also in the SD root and yet when I start up riivolution it only gives one option saying: File replacement <disable/enable>
When I enable it I don't see any textures at all.

Can anyone please point out what I did wrong or what I missed which caused it not to work?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I'm just wondering 1. What is IOS 242? Is that 4.2, or is that some kind of cIOS? 2. If it is a cIOS, will this cause a brick? I'm running 4.2 on my wii (got it before I started hacking DX), so that's why, as I'm fairly sure cIOS doesn't work on 4.2

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
for the people who got it working with the 2nd XML (ssbbfiles) did you do the following things in the SD card?

- download the riivolution v1.01 which has a map like this: riivolution>apps>riivolution. copy the last riivolution folder and put that in the already existing apps folder of the SD card.

-Download the ssbbfiles.xml, make a new folder called ''riivolution'', put it in the SD root and put the XML inside.

according to this the XML should read anything in the private folder which is also in the SD root and yet when I start up riivolution it only gives one option saying: File replacement <disable/enable>

Can anyone please point out what I did wrong or what I missed which caused it not to work?
Do you have everything set up like you did in file patch?

Also what's wrong with this XML that causes me to have a blank screen when I enable Ocarina?

Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="RSB" />
	<options>
		<section name="Files">
			<option name="File Code Replacements">
				<choice name="Enabled"><patch id="filecode" /></choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
	<patch id="filecode">
		<folder external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf" disc="/" recursive="true" />
		<folder external="/private/wii/app/RSBP/pf" disc="/" recursive="true" />
	</patch>
   <options>
       <section name="Ocarina">
           <option name="Ocarina Handler">
               <choice name="VI Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_vi" /></choice>
               <choice name="KPAD Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_kpad" /></choice>
               <choice name="Joypad Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_joypad" /></choice>
               <choice name="GXDraw Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_gxdraw" /></choice>
               <choice name="GXFlush Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_gxflush" /></choice>
               <choice name="OSSleep Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_ossleep" /></choice>
               <choice name="AxNextFrame Hook"><patch id="ocarinabase_axnextframe" /></choice>
           </option>
           <option name="Codes">
               <choice name="Brawl-"><patch id="ocarinabase" /><patch id="ocarinacodes" /></choice>
           </option>
       </section>
   </options>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_vi">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="7CE33B783887003438A7003838C7004C" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_kpad">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="9A3F005E38AE0080389FFFFC7E0903A6" offset="0x800018A0" />
       <memory ocarina="true" value="801D0060901E0060801D0064901E0064801D0068901E0068" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_joypad">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="3AB500013A73000C2C1500043B18000C" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_gxdraw">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="3CA0CC01380000613C80450098058000" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_gxflush">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="90010014800305FC2C00000041820008" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_ossleep">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="90A402E0806502E4908502E42C030000" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase_axnextframe">
       <memory ocarina="true" value="3800000E7FE3FB78B005000038800080" offset="0x800018A0" />
   </patch>
   <patch id="ocarinabase">
       <memory valuefile="codehandleronly.bin" offset="0x80001800" />
   </patch>
   <patch "ocarinacodes">
       <memory valuefile="discid.gct" offset="0x800022A8" />
       <memory offset="0x80001906" value="8000000022A80000" />
   </patch>
</wiidisc>
EDIT: Oh, the code handler is busted... :E

AerialX

Smash Cadet

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, assuming you have a /private/wii/app/RSBE/pf folder set up properly (or RSBP).

Do you have everything set up like you did in file patch?

Also what's wrong with this XML that causes me to have a blank screen when I enable Ocarina?
The fact that it requires a file called codehandleronly.bin in the /riivolution folder and that it probably doesn't work as-is and needs tweaks to the offset or something.

I'm just wondering 1. What is IOS 242? Is that 4.2, or is that some kind of cIOS? 2. If it is a cIOS, will this cause a brick? I'm running 4.2 on my wii (got it before I started hacking DX), so that's why, as I'm fairly sure cIOS doesn't work on 4.2
IOS242 is the old way Riivolution used to work, it now doesn't require a cIOS at all. It will not brick your Wii because it doesn't install or do anything to your Wii permanently (unless you use the Install button to install a quick-access channel).

EDIT: Awww, Riivolution freezes if you take out the SD, even if you put it back in, and it has to load something... This is far from practical for testing pacs... ):

I'll stick with File Patch for that, since it falls back on disk if it has an error reading. >:
The erroring rather than falling back to disc was a decision, actually. Dunno why, I figured having it crash right away was better than having random inconsistencies happening with files not being what they should (may not be noticeable with textures, but when it comes to other files and big mods you get weird behaviour.
And either way, if a file is expanded (meaning the SD file is larger than the original disc one), there's no possible way to have it fall back to disc.

As for testing pacs... Check out the new network support. I'm about to release the server app that you can run on your PC and make Brawl load the files right out of a folder on your computer. Change them as you please, and restart a match :)

Matteron

Smash Ace
Just tried ver. 1.01 with NSMW
it's great, I love the online stage pack.
And for anyone who has tried to you the online stage pack, but it freezes, you have to only activate the pack xml not the replacement xml

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The fact that it requires a file called codehandleronly.bin in the /riivolution folder and that it probably doesn't work as-is and needs tweaks to the offset or something.
...OH LOL. I caught that, decided "eh, whatever that is" and ignored it. I don't have devkitpro so I can't build it... I'll have to wait for someone else to.

The erroring rather than falling back to disc was a decision, actually. Dunno why, I figured having it crash right away was better than having random inconsistencies happening with files not being what they should (may not be noticeable with textures, but when it comes to other files and big mods you get weird behaviour.
And either way, if a file is expanded (meaning the SD file is larger than the original disc one), there's no possible way to have it fall back to disc.
I'd much prefer having a switch for that, really, but I do understand your reasoning.

As for testing pacs... Check out the new network support. I'm about to release the server app that you can run on your PC and make Brawl load the files right out of a folder on your computer. Change them as you please, and restart a match :)
Okay :]

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
that post just helped me out greatly but i'm just wondering how do i install it?
I sound kinda noobish lol
Don't know if the other posts after this one (yours I quoted) answered, but I'll go ahead and answer directly.
Riivolution is an app like any HBC app. Put the Riivolution folder in your SD's app folder and it'll show up in the HBC. If you want, you can create a channel using the "Install" option in the app itself.

As for actually replacing files, there's two options: the flat method or the FPC method (what I mean is how you have to organize your files). The flat XML checks for a folder ssbbfolder containing any file sharing the same name (correct me if I'm wrong on this) as the respective Brawl file. The FPC XML searches in the same fashion that the respective code does and is thus a preferred method. With some good knowledge in XMLs, you can set up your own folders however you want.

XMLs go in the folder riivolution on the root of the SD.

I'm still waiting until this app fleshes out more and fixes a few of the limitations. It's awesome to hear that online networking is already available.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
US is named RSBE and Japan is named RSBJ (I think).
Does the XML say RSBE? It's probably a simple fix to change the folder name.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
AerialX, we've tried a lot of things with the ocarina XML, it refuses to work, even with the codehandleronly.bin... Please take a look at it.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Just confirming that it works for brawl. :) Anyone get it to work with mario kart yet? Theres an xml up now. I tried downloading a mr l file, put it in X/mkw/(file) but it didnt work :(

Plus, when I updated to 1.01 today, and went to click on in in HBC, it displayed as v1.0... did this show for anyone else?
^^? Halp plz?

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Hey does anyone know how to set up a network file server for riivolution.
http://rvlution.net/riiv/RiiFS

AerialX, we've tried a lot of things with the ocarina XML, it refuses to work, even with the codehandleronly.bin... Please take a look at it.
Yeah, the problem is I haven't had the time to look into it myself yet. Are you guys on IRC or anything?

^^? Halp plz?
You sure you're putting the files directly in /mkw rather than in a folder under it? I haven't tried that XML but it seems like it would work. I think your problem is that you need to rename it to something relevant to the original disc; like the page says, for a level, try X:\mkw\farm_course.szs
And the 1.0 is a typo.

Almas

Smash Lord
Firstly; thanks for coming and (trying) to help us out, AerialX. We're working on getting this whole Ocarina thing going; I'm trying to add advice where I can although I'm not the greatest man for the job ;p.

A few questions (which I can't test myself right now):

Does Riivolution include regionfree? AFAIK this has no pirating implications and I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful.

Do you intend to add more xml commands in future releases? I can certainly think of many examples which I could see being useful.

Is there any plan/way to fix the crash caused by people removing their SD card during play? It's a common way of people disabling or transferring textures.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
http://rvlution.net/riiv/RiiFS

You sure you're putting the files directly in /mkw rather than in a folder under it? I haven't tried that XML but it seems like it would work. I think your problem is that you need to rename it to something relevant to the original disc; like the page says, for a level, try X:\mkw\farm_course.szs
And the 1.0 is a typo.
Yup, Im putting the file in X/mkw/file. And ok, good to know. Just making sure ha.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Just because I didn't specifically answer these on IRC...

Does Riivolution include regionfree? AFAIK this has no pirating implications and I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful.
It is indeed. Region locking is actually an extra, explicit step I would have to take.

Do you intend to add more xml commands in future releases? I can certainly think of many examples which I could see being useful.
Sure, if someone can suggest or mock up something that I think is organized and useful I'd consider it.

Is there any plan/way to fix the crash caused by people removing their SD card during play? It's a common way of people disabling or transferring textures.
The problem with this is that Riivolution adjusts the FST when it loads, which resizes every file to the SD files. If you pull the SD out, and Riivolution fell back to disc, any file that had been resized due to patches will now cause a crash because the game reads the wrong filesize; either it doesn't read enough of the file or, if it was expanded, it doesn't read anything because of the way Riivolution expands files. It's just not that easy to recover from, and simply falling back will not fix anything.
Funny how this is probably the exact opposite of the size limitations of the FPC.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
How about this...can Riivolution actually store a fallback FST?

Also.
I will release a basic Ocarina example for all games, a ocarina example for Brawl that allows over 255 lines, and my Brawl Mod Launcher 2.0, which can launch Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Project:M, and a vBrawl codeset as well, with the ability to toggle custom music seperate from all the codesets(Including custom titles)

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

Also.
I will release a basic Ocarina example for all games, a ocarina example for Brawl that allows over 255 lines, and my Brawl Mod Launcher 2.0, which can launch Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Project:M, and a vBrawl codeset as well, with the ability to toggle custom music seperate from all the codesets(Including custom titles)
I came. dvegdgduaishgsvxhsbvs.
Your Brawl Mod Launcher 2.0 needs a HBC pack image right?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Will this Riivolution thing work with Brawl when it's loaded of the USB loader?

Edit: After I posted this I went to the first page and found my answer :embarrass

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
dang, I really tried everything and it is all set-up the way it should be. the both methods of the brawl XML's give me one option in the riivolution to enable/disable file replacement or ssbb replacement. Yet it launches without textures.

The only thing which could be hindering is the fact that I use wii version 4.1 but from what I've heard that shouldnt make any difference

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Is there a tutorial for setting this up anywhere?
This kind of applies, just download the first Brawl XML instead and use the /ssbb folder. And, well, don't try putting NSMB levels in Brawl and you'll be fine :p

Still only works in some cases. What if you were loading some files from SD, some from USB, and some from network? If you remove the SD card all of a sudden you lose all replacements.
And if I were to do it... I'd have to detect that the SD card was removed *before* the game tries to read a patched file; usually it doesn't realize there's an error until it tries doing a read thanks to the game wanting a file that's patched. Falling back to the normal FST at that point would be too late because it already has the wrong filesize.

dang, I really tried everything and it is all set-up the way it should be. the both methods of the brawl XML's give me one option in the riivolution to enable/disable file replacement or ssbb replacement. Yet it launches without textures.

The only thing which could be hindering is the fact that I use wii version 4.1 but from what I've heard that shouldnt make any difference
Not really sure what's going on, it sounds like it's fine. Your system menu version won't change anything. A simple enough test is to try the SSBB replacement, and just have /ssbb/FitMarth00.pcs (or whatever texture you want, just something really simple and controlled).
If nothing really works, apparently people are reporting that files are case-sensitive, though I don't think they should be, so you can try making sure that casing is right. Otherwise, try a few standard things:
- Make sure you're using the most updated version, Riivolution v1.01
- Reformat your SD card
- Try another SD card or a USB stick instead
- Get a zip of a whole Riivolution setup from someone else's SD card that you know for a fact works.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman

Nope, you NEED 4.2 for Riivolution unfortunately.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Nope, you NEED 4.2 for Riivolution unfortunately.
Not true.

If you don't have the latest IOS37 (which comes with 4.2), it'll download and apply the latest IOS37 to use with Riivolution...but 4.2 is not required.

Roxas M

Smash Master

Also.
oh crap. major hype.

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
Would simple memory write codes be easy enough to do? Ifs, BAs and PAs would take some work but this is the first thing that would be done right?
Btw, has someone mentioned the glitch where you can't access the SD card, for example, to look at or save photos? Not a big deal, since not a lot of games use SD cards, but a fix would be nice if possible.

Top Bottom