• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

Roxas M

Smash Master
i was wondering.
would this let me say, replace the smashbros_sound.bsrar file so i can have japanese VAs?

if so can someone help me out?
i'm a complete noob at this thing and don't know where to put it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Does Riivolution work with my "backups" or USB loaders?

No. And that's not a bug.
****ing *******s. I just assumed they hadn't made it compatible yet, but now it's clear that they're completely singling us out of this!

****ing bull****. >_>

Roxas M

Smash Master
i was wondering.
would this let me say, replace the smashbros_sound.bsrar file so i can have japanese VAs?

if so can someone help me out?
i'm a complete noob at this thing and don't know where to put it.
nvm. the noob learned a little. lol

now i want to know 2 more things.

1)http://rvlution.net/riiv/Patch_Templates
it says it supports the FPC so i can have this + infinite replay codes etc...right?
if so then where do files like my .bsrar go?

the FPC didn't have a set place to put it.

2)where do multiple files go like.....4 link textures?

do i just dump ALL my texture,stage and sound files in the 1 ssbb folder or do i keep them in their correct folders(textures are in fighter/character, stages are in stage/melee and sound is in sound/strm) and put the fighter, melee and strm folders in the ssbb folder in the root of my SD card?

edit: well they have 2 different sets of XML files for brawl. i tried the file patch version and it loaded my .bsrar when i put it into the sound folder in my SD card. BUT i doesn't load my mainmenu.pac or my common5.pac but it loads my textures.

i guess later i'll(or if someone else does and posts results) try the regular XML and move everything in my SD card to the 1 ssbb folder and see how that works.

i'm trying to see how the FPC version works though since i'll be able to use my codes(minus the actual FPC) + my other files that riivolution lets me replace.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
SSBBtemplate.xml will replace any files on the brawl disc with any file named the exact same in SD:/ssbb.

SSBBfiles.xml will do the same, but nabs the files from /private/wii/app/RSBE/pf (or RSBP). Since this is where the Phantom Wings hack grabbed from, it’ll nab all your custom stuff properly.

Neither hack has any Ocarina codes built into them, though Riivolution does have Ocarina-like memory patch support. They will only replace files.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
The team was made when you had to burn discs to get textures >_>
I believe you even had to have a modchip back then. IIRC, it was made before ASH as well.
Cookies to anyone who remembers ASH and STASH.

Anyways, I am totally going to enjoy using this in June...because I can't until then. (Wi-Win: Can't till May. Sending Wii in: won't be back till June). That being said it will be hilariously awkward when I explain to Nintendo that the warranty is void because I used the Wii to mod brawl's wi-fi.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Looking good so far. I'll probably test now once I understand how it works.

Oh, and by the way.

This means we can use stuff in other games, like Bowser for TvC. Get on that. :3 I DON'T HAVE THE RETAIL DISC ;_________;

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
...I don't get it :\

The Youtube video on the first page said:
"Riivolution is a homebrew program that allows you to customize a game from an SD card or USB drive, while using an original retail disc. It can be used to create community 'custom DLC' or even translations for any Wii game available."
............Isn't that what we've been doing for the past year and a half? How is this revolutionary? I'm not having a go, I just don't see what this Riivolution is supposed to do. (I've been gone for the past week)

Is it a more advanced way of replacing files? Is it any easier? Can it do things that code(s) can't, such as SFX and movie replacing?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is very interesting, but from a practical standpoint, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the benefits.

Advantages:

-Probably more reliable than gecko.
-Removes file size limits.
-Can replace any file. The only gameplay useful file I can think of that this adds is fighter.pac (don't care about sound effects, movie files, or anything else that doesn't directly affect gameplay); this is less useful than it sounds because no current programs that read fighter.pac have write support
-Region free, simplifying PAL versions.
-SDHC support? I'm unclear on whether this makes more SD cards work with Brawl.

Disadvantages:

-New and requires investigation, possibly non-trivial porting work.
-Option bombardment? I hope a specific set of Ocarina codes + files to replace can be set up such that random users can play a major project while having to set zero options themselves.
-Possibly unforeseen difficulties, bugs, or compatibility issues.
-Makes things somewhat harder on users with illegal copies of Brawl if file structure is built to support this.
-Requires users with older system menus to write files to their system, removing the ability to claim that using our project has zero long-term effect on the Wii.

This is obviously the future, but for the present, I'm a bit sketchy on the advantages. Bbrawl has a major release right around the corner, and the primary distribution method for our project is a pre-canned archive that requires minimal technical competence from the end user. Is anyone familiar enough with this to know whether it's worth using this as the primary boot method for a major project, or is it a better idea to stick with gecko?

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

............Isn't that what we've been doing for the past year and a half? How is this revolutionary? I'm not having a go, I just don't see what this Riivolution is supposed to do. (I've been gone for the past week)

Is it a more advanced way of replacing files? Is it any easier? Can it do things that code(s) can't, such as SFX and movie replacing?
Have you seen a File Replacement system for ANY other game besides Brawl?
You used to have to USB load or burn a disc for other games.
You can replace everything(theoretically) and yes it can do SFX and movies.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion

Works with any game, any file.
That's all you need to know really. >_>

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
File replacement for ANY Wii game, eh? Huh. That's pretty exciting. Granted, my favourite Wii game has already come so far in terms of h4xxing, but this is a pretty big deal. Especially due to the fact that SFX REPLACEMENT IS A GOOOOO! *awesome face*

...Excuse me for thinking that a topic in Smash Workshop primarily had to do with Smash Bros. XP

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Keep in mind that file size is still an issue and always will be an issue with sound effects, PSAs, and other things. Bionic told me it had something to do with how they're preloaded into memory which I think is probably a good indication that they're hardcoded to load this way and we can't do much about it.

Wait, now I'm confused. I could have sworn reading a post from Bionic saying file size wasn't an issue, but then he told me in the P:M stream that it was because of memory issues >_>.

@Ampharos: you forgot to mention under advantages that this allows for incredibly easy-to-track and easy-to-manage setups on all of your files.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
O RLY?!

And I'm looking through the FAQ and I can't see anything. I assume it's not just in plain sight saying "file size isn't a problem".

I don't know >_>, but that's good.

Some might want to look at THIS.
I saw that, but I'm curious as to how you set that up. Do you just put that in an XML or what? Once we get smarter on how to use this, we'll probably be able to do quite a bit with it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll test it out and see what happens. I'm only going to assume this goes in the riivolution directory itself or what? If we could get some assistance on directories and such, that would be extremely helpful.

Ok, you compile this into another XML such as SSBBtemplate.xml

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
@Gamedominator, Aaron(AerialX) told me to wait until a dev works on it as it is more of a general guidelines thing. He also said he might do it himself when he finds time. It just needs testing. I tried for a few hours and I DID get it to recognize my codeset but it didn't load D:

AerialX

Smash Cadet
As for the Ocarina support, it has the capability to do it with an XML like the one on that page. However, the XML probably needs tweaking and a quick look at the Gecko OS source to get it working; I haven't had enough time to do that myself.

As for the file size, Riivolution increases it on the disc, in the same way Wiiscrubber does. This works most of the time, but still can't change any memory constraints hardcoded into the game, like fixed-size buffers for reading. Patches could increase limits like that though, codes or Riivolution memory patches or otherwise.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
I want this but with my broken disc drive it'll be useless ^_^' I've got all the actual games >.< I just had to use my friend's disc drive to dump them so I could play them at all >.> **** disc drive and it's crappiness, this happened to my gamecube after this amount of time too.

Matteron

Smash Ace
How can all your disc drives break? I've had my wii since the year it was released and the disc drive still works like a charm.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
My guess is some Wiis have issues with dual-layered discs. I hear about that problem a lot on Brawl boards.

I didn't test it yet, mostly because I have no idea how to compile it (isn't it Open Office XML?). What I will do is use the setup that looks for FPC folders first, look for where brsars go, and try that. If not, I'll use the other XML they have set up.

Any USB loaders that know where brsars go?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
My guess is some Wiis have issues with dual-layered discs. I hear about that problem a lot on Brawl boards.

I didn't test it yet, mostly because I have no idea how to compile it (isn't it Open Office XML?). What I will do is use the setup that looks for FPC folders first, look for where brsars go, and try that. If not, I'll use the other XML they have set up.

Any USB loaders that know where brsars go?
You don't really have to compile the XML at all, unless your internet browser doesn't have the same things as Firefox (which it should, from what I've seen in other browsers). Just go to File, Save Page As... and as the save type you can choose XML.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
How can all your disc drives break? I've had my wii since the year it was released and the disc drive still works like a charm.
My first Wii that I got the day it was released broke in February. The new one they sent me's disk drive broke in less than a year. So, what did we learn today, Nintendo?
STOP DOING SMALL UPDATES TO YOUR SYSTEM! THEY ONLY BROKED IT MORE!

Matteron

Smash Ace
I've updated through nintendo EVERY time, even to 4.2 and everything works like it should, heck when I soft modded my Wii on 4.2 it worked even better.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You don't really have to compile the XML at all, unless your internet browser doesn't have the same things as Firefox (which it should, from what I've seen in other browsers). Just go to File, Save Page As... and as the save type you can choose XML.
Thanks, that worked. Now I assume the XML goes on the root and I put all the files into folder name ssbbfolder on the root?

Until we have a working method to boot Ocarina codes with the patcher, I'll just use SmashStack to boot codes.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
After I run the app, it doesn't let me access my SD card stuff in Brawl ;[

Works pretty good.
For those having trouble replacing some files with the FPC XML file, you have to place the files and folders the way they are exactly on the disc because PW's FPC code was uh, "different". And the files have to be named exactly as they are on the disc.(Example, sel_character.pac would be sel_character_en.pac now).

Or you can use the other XML but idk how that works since I'm fine with the FPC XML.

I would link the mediafile folder that has all the brawl files in the right place but I'm not sure if I can >.>

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I sort of want to switch over to the ssbbfolder XML if the names are proper, but I'm more or less waiting on a USB loader to tell me where brsar is placed.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm not a USB loader but the brsar file is placed in pf->sound.

Also, just to let you guys you know, after you run the app, you won't be able to go into the vault stuff on your SD card for some odd reason. So that means Smash Stack method won't work ;[

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh what? That's really weird. So even if we do get an ocarina XML, we still can't access custom stages?

Top Bottom