• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Why is it that it reads smashbros_sound.brsar differently than SmashBox?

For the time being, I'm just labeling Melee sounds to their Brawl counterparts according to wave number. I'll have to play some Melee to sort it all out.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
i'm wondering something where is the the japanese file for sound effects at?
I replaced the NA voices w/ JP voices by using the entire JP smashbros_sound.brsar file. I haven't tried replacing individual sounds though.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I replaced the NA voices w/ JP voices by using the entire JP smashbros_sound.brsar file. I haven't tried replacing individual sounds though.
If you try it and it works let me know i really want to replace the the announcer saying GAME with GAME SET!

AerialX

Smash Cadet
Has anyone figured out the <macro> tag? I'd like to use that and <param> tags to make different entries for each Toon Link slot and use the same replacements for each of them.
You can work off old my example I used in that video: http://fpaste.org/vvDE/
Though you could do it in a lot cleaner way now.

Code:
<wiidisc version="1" root="brawl/stacksmash/characters/">
	<id game="RSB"></id>
	<options>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 1]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="00" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 2]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="01" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 3]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="03" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 4]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="04" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 5]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="05" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 6]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="06" /></macro>

<section name="Characters">
			<option name="Bowser" id="charbowser">
				<param name="char" value="koopa" />
				<choice name="Bowsario"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="bowsariobowser" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Giga Koopa"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="bowsergigakoopa" /></patch></choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>

<patch id="characterpatch">
		<file disc="/fighter/{$char}/Fit{$char}{$slot}.pcs" external="{$char}/{$file}.pcs" />
		<file disc="/fighter/{$char}/Fit{$char}{$slot}.pac" external="{$char}/{$file}.pac" />
	</patch>
</wiidisc>

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Actually, that makes a lot more sense now after reading that bit of XML coding.

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this is possible, but in a future release, could you have an option to replace a section of a file? We'd have to provide the hex offsets, of course. An example is in Mario Kart Wii, if I wanted to replace the name of a single course, but I have multiple names I want to replace, all contained in the same file. They can only be triggered on and off universally.
Least they could do is disable DVD backup launching, but I doubt there'd be hack protection.
Sometimes they send back a brand new wii (and new wiis are harder to hack), but come to think of it, they probably wouldn't if the only problem was the DVD drive.

AerialX

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this is possible, but in a future release, could you have an option to replace a section of a file? We'd have to provide the hex offsets, of course. An example is in Mario Kart Wii, if I wanted to replace the name of a single course, but I have multiple names I want to replace, all contained in the same file. They can only be triggered on and off universally.
You can already do that. Look at the "offset" attribute for the <file /> node.

Though note that using it in conjunction with files that may be compressed or encrypted usually isn't all that helpful.

geez, that looks like itd take a while to set up with every character's name and stuff
Meh, I already have most of the slots set up there anyway. Someone could go through it and name them rather than number them and it'd be ready for anything. Once you have it set up it'd be fairly easy to maintain/add to.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
I have a problem...

I copied the data above and added mario's data, same as koopa/bowser's. But only Mario's shows up in Riivolution, except it only says "Mario-----'Disabled'"

Code:
<wiidisc version="1" root="ssbb/game/option/">
	<id game="RSB"></id>
	<options>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 1]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="00" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 2]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="01" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 3]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="03" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 4]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="04" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 5]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="05" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 6]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="06" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 1]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="00" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 2]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="01" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 3]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="03" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 4]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="04" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 5]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="05" /></macro>
		<macro name="Bowser [Slot 6]" id="charbowser"><param name="slot" value="06" /></macro>

<option name="Mario" id="charMario">
				<param name="char" value="mario" />
				<choice name="Striker Mario"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="mariostriker" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dark Mario"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="mariodark" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Hollow Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopahollow" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dark Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopadark" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dry Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopadry" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Demon Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopademon" /></patch></choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>

<file disc="/fighter/{$char}/Fit{$char}{$slot}.pcs" external="{$char}/{$file}.pcs" />
		<file disc="/fighter/{$char}/Fit{$char}{$slot}.pac" external="{$char}/{$file}.pac" />
	</patch>
</wiidisc>

D

Deleted member

Code:
You capitalized mario's name where bowsers isn't.

This thing looks really promising btw.

Revven

FrankerZ
Just going to warn people who are planning to swap US SFX for JPN SFX:

The JPN SFX file is 100 MB, so make sure you actually have the space to do it.

Also, someone mind explaining to me how this all works? I know how you'd put it in the SD Card and stuff, but this XML stuff is like "wut?" to me. Can't you just stick the application in the apps folder and just load it up in the Wii and bam you can use the custom content you have on your SD Card? It'd seem tedious to me to have to name each texture file etc.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Just going to warn people who are planning to swap US SFX for JPN SFX:

The JPN SFX file is 100 MB, so make sure you actually have the space to do it.

Also, someone mind explaining to me how this all works? I know how you'd put it in the SD Card and stuff, but this XML stuff is like "wut?" to me. Can't you just stick the application in the apps folder and just load it up in the Wii and bam you can use the custom content you have on your SD Card? It'd seem tedious to me to have to name each texture file etc.
Yep, that's pretty much it. That's what I did. I'm guessing all this XML voodoo stuff let's you only enable certain files to be replaced or something.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
I believe that you can replace individual sound files, the problem is, smashbros_sound.bsrar is undocumented, so we don't know what each sound file corresponds to what sound. Worse still, BrawlBox can't play the sounds. So unless there's a program that I don't know about that can play the sounds... yeah.

Oh and you'll need to always have the full smashbros_sound.bsrar file on your SD card/USB drive. At over 100MB, it's a lot of space as a previous poster mentioned.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Mm? Smashbox can open the group collection and identify all of the sound groups. They're divided into sounds and waves. Waves are the actual sound and SmashBox can play them. I spent something around a half and hour corresponding some of Mario's Melee sounds by labeling them as the respective Wave# in the Brawl sound file. If I could actually get a more conventional way to replace the sounds in the file (since it doesn't even look like Smashbox can import or replace), I'd probably have a few in there already.

Mega Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Well uh... I'm Pretty much a noob when it comes to Riivolution... If its ok could anyone help me out how to use brstm's with Riivolution? If anyone could it would be appreciated (Sorry If i post this in the wrong thread...)

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
Well uh... I'm Pretty much a noob when it comes to Riivolution... If its ok could anyone help me out how to use brstm's with Riivolution? If anyone could it would be appreciated (Sorry If i post this in the wrong thread...)
That depends, what's the problem? Getting it, making it, or putting it in? You can get a ton of brstms from here. There are template .xml files you can use, from there, put your .brstm into the replacement folder, then in sound/strm and name the file accordingly, with this naming scheme.

btw AerialX, I don't think I ever thanked you for making this app, and for the support you've been giving. Thanks!! :D

Mega Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Putting it in... I dont know how to work the XML's...
I may be doing something wrong I just don't know what

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
Just put the xml into the riivolution folder which should be in the root of your SD, and the replacement files in the directory /ssbb (on the root) with the correct subdirectories(for these particular files, /ssbb/sound/strm).

Shök

Smash Champion
Could anyone assist me in texture hacking characters in Brawl with Riivolution?

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
replacement files? Do you mean the brstm's?
Yup.
Could anyone assist me in texture hacking characters in Brawl with Riivolution?
This probably applies to Mega Yoshi too, but you should do some searching first. You get the xml and make the folder like I told him, and put your textures in ssbb/fighter/(charactername)/Fit(charactername)00.pac/pcs.

There's a better, more advanced method, but it requires knowledge of the xml format.

Mega Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Thanks =D
Finally got it to work... Just got a bit confused with the private/wii/app and all that XD

Shök

Smash Champion
This probably applies to Mega Yoshi too, but you should do some searching first. You get the xml and make the folder like I told him, and put your textures in ssbb/fighter/(charactername)/Fit(charactername)00.pac/pcs.

There's a better, more advanced method, but it requires knowledge of the xml format.
Ha ha. Could you elaborate a bit more? I'm not familiar with hacking or codes at all. :(

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
Ha ha. Could you elaborate a bit more? I'm not familiar with hacking or codes at all. :(
First, go to the link I provided above, and download the brawl xml file (the first one). Put it in the riivolution folder in the root of your SD. Make a folder in the root called ssbb. In that folder, make the appropriate subdirectories (fighter/[character's id], the character ids vary, a list is here (scroll down, ignore the rest of the stuff, a lot is outdated)). Put your texture (which should be called Fit[character's id]00/01/02/03/04/05.pac/.pcs, you should have both a pac and a pcs, 00 means the first costume) in that folder.

On an unrelated note, I tried replacing only a part of a file, but it froze when the file was loaded. Tried a couple things. Help would be nice. :/

Shök

Smash Champion
First, go to the link I provided above, and download the brawl xml file (the first one). Put it in the riivolution folder in the root of your SD. Make a folder in the root called ssbb. In that folder, make the appropriate subdirectories (fighter/[character's id], the character ids vary, a list is here (scroll down, ignore the rest of the stuff, a lot is outdated)). Put your texture (which should be called Fit[character's id]00/01/02/03/04/05.pac/.pcs, you should have both a pac and a pcs, 00 means the first costume) in that folder.

On an unrelated note, I tried replacing only a part of a file, but it froze when the file was loaded. Tried a couple things. Help would be nice. :/
Hmmm. I see.

So, where do I put the texture and words at? Like, where do I put "FitKoopa01.pcs"?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Hmmm. I see.

So, where do I put the texture and words at? Like, where do I put "FitKoopa01.pcs"?
fighter/koopa/FitKoopa01.pcs

Oh, and you don't need the .pac for most characters. You DO need both the .pcs and .pac for Bowser, Zelda, Sheik, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Samus, ZSS, and Wario (simply because they transform into other characters, and the game may freeze without the .pac during transformation).

Shök

Smash Champion
fighter/koopa/FitKoopa01.pcs

Oh, and you don't need the .pac for most characters. You DO need both the .pcs and .pac for Bowser, Zelda, Sheik, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Samus, ZSS, and Wario (simply because they transform into other characters, and the game may freeze without the .pac during transformation).
Ah. I see.

Where does the "fighter" folder go into?

Revven

FrankerZ
Dikastis to save you from having to ask a continuous (possibly endless) amount of questions that don't pertain to this topic at hand, refer to the second post of this topic to find out how to set up your textures for your characters.

Shök

Smash Champion
Dikastis to save you from having to ask a continuous (possibly endless) amount of questions that don't pertain to this topic at hand, refer to the second post of this topic to find out how to set up your textures for your characters.
That's why I'm asking here in the "Riivolution" thread cause I'm using Riivolution and NOT Gecko or the HBC.

I don't see a Riivolution area in the second post.

Starkiller95

Smash Cadet
All the Brawl files go in the exact same place though (as of the PF folder, that is), excluding the menu2 folder.
I've also got to learn to think before I type. Well, he didn't know they were related, or if he did, he wouldn't know which steps to follow and which not to, he's got no hacking experience.
But this conversation is going nowhere.

Shök

Smash Champion
So far, my texture isn't working.

The only things I've done is: Get the Brawl xml. and save the notepad in the root Riivolution folder. Created the ssbb folder. ssbb/fighter/koopa/FitKoopa00.pcs and FitKoopa00.pac

Yes. I'm only getting Bowser textures at the moment. :p

Where did I go wrong?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I have a problem...

I copied the data above and added mario's data, same as koopa/bowser's. But only Mario's shows up in Riivolution, except it only says "Mario-----'Disabled'"

Code:
<wiidisc version="1" root="ssbb/game/option/">
	<id game="RSB"></id>
	<options>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 1]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="00" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 2]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="01" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 3]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="03" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 4]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="04" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 5]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="05" /></macro>
		<macro name="Mario [Slot 6]" id="charmario"><param name="slot" value="06" /></macro>

<param name="char" value="mario" />
				<choice name="Striker Mario"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="mariostriker" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dark Mario"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="mariodark" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Hollow Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopahollow" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dark Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopadark" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Dry Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopadry" /></patch></choice>
				<choice name="Demon Bowser"><patch id="characterpatch"><param name="file" value="koopademon" /></patch></choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>

</patch>
</wiidisc>
I'm having the same problem with Riivolution 1.01. I think it stops processing the file at a certain point, because no matter what I select none of the patches are applied.

Top Bottom