• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I do believe we'll get additional characters, and this seems like a good way of doing it. The empty space on the roster still bugs me, as does the teasing of Ridley, the analysis of the shadow and the fact that nobody has found trophies of Ridley, Mewtwo or K. Rool, it all just doesn't sit right.

Also to a degree that one of the most heavily requested characters (Isacc) has been cut from Assist Trophy status by the looks of it.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Is there a picture of the complete 3DS roster? For all we know, those spots could be a design choice.

That Sprite

Smash Rookie
This would be an incredibly stupid move on Nintendo's part. There are a lot of 3ds users without a wii u and wii u owners without a 3ds. Why do we have to be put at a disadvantage compared to other players with expanded options from transfer exclusive characters? Do we have to suddenly shell out on an entirely new system just to be on the same level as everybody else? There will be NO transfer characters. Exclusive unlockables like music, trophies, yeah that's fine. Anything that affects gameplay would cause an uproar.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This would be an incredibly stupid move on Nintendo's part. There are a lot of 3ds users without a wii u and wii u owners without a 3ds. Why do we have to be put at a disadvantage compared to other players with expanded options from transfer exclusive characters? Do we have to suddenly shell out on an entirely new system just to be on the same level as everybody else? There will be NO transfer characters. Exclusive unlockables like music, trophies, yeah that's fine. Anything that affects gameplay would cause an uproar.
They've done it before. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it again. They're trying to move units, the people owning one or the other is the problem to them.

north-note

Smash Cadet
how about getting a patch of the 3ds version when wii version is released? so that they can prevent more spoiler.
after all, there will be a day one patch that add conquest mode, and the leaker have NO chance of leaking it.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I don't think he was. Being wrong doesn't mean you're trying to be an attention *****.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Dude. Smash 4 was going to be 3ds ONLY. Any cutbacks were from the upper management at Nintendo forcing Sakurai to make it for the wii u as well.
Wii U haters on this thread, they're flooding it. And yes, without the 3DS version we would've probably gotten Ridley.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I would like it, but I doubt it is true because they can't force people to buy both versions.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
"Ah yes, I can finally live with this. End of speculation always feels so great. Finally a burden has been lifted. And, even if I don't lke it, I finally know the fate of Ridle-"
[This **** happens]

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Blame Sakurai, man. He let the fan hype get out of control by not slamming it dead early on. If he has his finger on the pulse of the Smash community like Nintendo claims he does, he would've known what was going on.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Does anybody have a picture of the Wii U CSS? I want to check something out that could help or hinder this idea.

espio87

Smash Ace
Its false hope. We're not getting any more then we already have.
Just...stop people. Its over.
Remember what happened when Pandora's box was opened: The last thing that remains is hope no matter how small.
On the other hand, it's not unlike Nintendo to give some extra features thanks to conectivity, I remember the GB to N64 with Pokemon Stadium and posterior games in that series. I know I'm grasping at straws but Sakurai said both versions would have the full roster, he never said the complete roster would be revealed with the 3DS version launch. Oh man, I'm starting to sound like the people with Lucas's "Up until now" (but they were right :grin:)

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
The only way Nintendo can make this "right" is if the Wii U version lacks a few characters as well. If the only way for Wii U players to have access to Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Dr Mario and heck, even Dark Pit is connecting both versions, then the 3DS players will not feel as they are being treated as scum as they would otherwise. So if you buy only the 3DS version, you don't have a few unannounced characters and if you don't buy the 3DS version, you don't have the leaked newcomers.

Alternatively, Nintendo could simply release more characters via DLC and avoid the scummy method of releasing more characters.
This. This is what I've been hoping. Let's hope Nintendo's Treehouse stream will have some information like this.

link2702

Smash Champion
didn't sakurai state quite clearly around last year or the one before that he's NOT going to force players to have to buy both versions in order to get all characters?

essentially wii U and 3DS have the same characters. If DLC comes out for one with new characters, it'll likely come out for the other.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Dude. Smash 4 was going to be 3ds ONLY. Any cutbacks were from the upper management at Nintendo forcing Sakurai to make it for the wii u as well.
Smash 4 was never intended to be 3DS only. Sakurai thought of a 3DS version first before the game even began development, but then quickly realized that it would limit Smash Bros.
(Which it still does.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
didn't sakurai state quite clearly around last year or the one before that he's NOT going to force players to have to buy both versions in order to get all characters?

essentially wii U and 3DS have the same characters. If DLC comes out for one with new characters, it'll likely come out for the other.
If DLC characters are ever planned, I guess you can always use the 3DS / Wii U transfer feature to upload them onto the Wii U version or vice versa. There would more than likely be two versions of the DLC packs, and if you bought one, you won't have to buy the other, thanks to the transfer feature.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
What people need to understand is if this whole "Transfer" thing is real the data has to already be on the cart of the 3ds version. Now this doesn't nesscarily mean the characters needs to be done or models already made. But at the very least "Placeholder" data for more characters HAS to be on the 3ds cart already.

Someone needs to data mine this game asap so we know if they there or not. It's really no different then us finding out about Diancie/Volcanion/Hoopa and the mega twins in X/Y

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Smash 4 was never intended to be 3DS only. Sakurai thought of a 3DS version first before the game even began development, but then quickly realized that it would limit Smash Bros.
(Which it still does.)
This is completely incorrect. Sakurai wasn't developing the Wii U version until Iwata asked him to do it.

What people need to understand is if this whole "Transfer" thing is real the data has to already be on the cart of the 3ds version. Now this doesn't nesscarily mean the characters needs to be done or models already made. But at the very least "Placeholder" data for more characters HAS to be on the 3ds cart already.

Someone needs to data mine this game asap so we know if they there or not. It's really no different then us finding out about Diancie/Volcanion/Hoopa and the mega twins in X/Y
I really doubt they will go the transfer route, because Sakurai would be heavily against it. If more characters happen they will come in an update most likely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I recall right, Mario Kart 8's DLC isn't even on the disc, which can easily explain why one DLC pack will require at least 1 GB of memory to be downloaded. If the DLC was on the disc, then the DLC download would more than likely use much less memory.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
If I recall right, Mario Kart 8's DLC isn't even on the disc, which can easily explain why one DLC pack will require at least 1 GB of memory to be downloaded. If the DLC was on the disc, then the DLC download would more than likely use much less memory.
The actual dlc courses aren't on the game. But the placeholder data most deftinley is. MK8 dlc was found out about weeks before they announced it.
http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/unused-grand-prix-images-found-through-data-mining.8402/

This is completely incorrect. Sakurai wasn't developing the Wii U version until Iwata asked him to do it.

I really doubt they will go the transfer route, because Sakurai would be heavily against it. If more characters happen they will come in an update most likely.
What im saying is. It doesnt matter what method they use. The data has to already be on the cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Those icons were more unused though, since the DLC cup icons are very different, with only really the Yoshi Egg being used.
They can easily change a icon lol. It's just a pic. Like i said actual models and stuff like that dont have to be completed. That CAN be patched in. However the actual data needs to be in place to begin with. DLC or a update can then chane that data to whatever they need to. But you cant just add data into a game through a update. DLC can't flash a cart. Lol.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
They can easily change a icon lol. It's just a pic. Like i said actual models and stuff like that dont have to be completed. That CAN be patched in. However the actual data needs to be in place to begin with. DLC or a update can then chane that data to whatever they need to. But you cant just add data into a game through a update. DLC can't flash a cart. Lol.
You do realize that all 3ds DLC is stored on the SD card/Internal Memory, right?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
You do realize that all 3ds DLC is stored on the SD card/Internal Memory, right?
Lol yea i know that. Thats still not adding entirley new code into a game that didn't exist.

The real test is going to come with how they handle OR/AS. X/Y has already been datamined and none of the new items(megastones) or formes in OR/AS are in X/Y. If they figure out how to get these new moves and formes to show accuratley ON A X/Y cart then i will take back my statement. But whats most likely to happen is a B/W2 thing in which you will be able to battle with the older version but any new formes wont show up in the older versions.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Wow, some guy's claiming this same thing but saying he has a source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153

Today's image of the day on the Miiverse shows that this game does support patches and that one has already been released for Japan.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They should have been doing it in parallel. Having release dates a few days out is one thing, the best part of a month in this day and age is bizarre to say the least.
SSB4 released ASAP. Since the Japanese version was finished first, it releases first. It's worth mentioning that it could of released eariler in both regions, but it's really just a buffer so the stores sell it all at the same time.

Let's keep one big thing in mind. Sakurai hasn't said we've received all of the Newcomer Trailers yet. With the 3DS version about to be released, releasing any newcomer trailer for the Wii U version when everyone knows the final roster of the 3DS version is...pretty stupid if you ask me. Unless, of course, it's a character we don't already know about.
Jr. and/or DH get trailers. Dr. Mario alongside Jr, ROB and G&W beside DH. That's the easiest, and most likely, situation.

They've done it before. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it again. They're trying to move units, the people owning one or the other is the problem to them.
Nintendo is, Sakurai isn't. I'm sorry, but Sakurai is always considering the silent majority, and that includes the majority of broke kids with no internet, no Wii U, and no Amiibo.

Wii U haters on this thread, they're flooding it. And yes, without the 3DS version we would've probably gotten Ridley.
Without the 3DS version, no Smash 4. You fully know this, and have said so yourself.

My, how people change...

You know, this deserves special attention. I'm pretty sure you're right, and I'll be searching for that interview.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Today's image of the day on the Miiverse shows that this game does support patches and that one has already been released for Japan.
Once again patches is not adding entirley new code into the game. I never said patches weren't able to be done. I said they cant add new characters without placeholder data already exisiting in the game in some form.

X/Y had a patch to fix the lumionse glitch. Thats different then them adding the diancite stone for mega diancie thats only going to be in or/as

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Once again patches is not adding entirley new code into the game. I never said patches weren't able to be done. I said they cant add new characters without placeholder data already exisiting in the game in some form.

X/Y had a patch to fix the lumionse glitch. Thats different then them adding the diancite stone for mega diancie thats only going to be in or/as
That's not how software works. It's just code that's referencing files and data. If you have access to the original source, you can add whatever you want by changing which libraries/classes/functions are called. You don't have to edit the original game data on the cartridge.

How does the Pokemon X/Y patch work? I downloaded it on my 3DS and it played the game using the patch, yet when I stuck the cartridge into my wife's 3DS it prompted me to download it again, which I declined. The game still loaded without the patch, but I was vulnerable to the glitch. Clearly the patch hadn't been applied to the cartridge, but had been applied to my SD card.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html

"Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."

"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

The idea behind this is to enable customers to have the same experience regardless of personal platform preference.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai told us. "It’s sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself – I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."

Mechageo

Smash Ace
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html

"Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."

"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

The idea behind this is to enable customers to have the same experience regardless of personal platform preference.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai told us. "It’s sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself – I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."
I've added this to the first post in the thread.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The only way Nintendo can make this "right" is [giving me what I want]
The only way Nintendo would be doing it wrong is if they hurt sales/lost more fans by doing that than the improvement in Wii U sales would be.

If it's worth it to them to sell more Wii U's more quickly by giving Wii U buyers or people with both versions some kind of bonus, even if it pisses you off... then that's what they should do. Because they need to sell Wii U's. They're in business for money, not for pleasing Reila.

That said, I really, really, really doubt they'd make characters available only through buying a Wii U given Sakurai's statements about it. But they might squeeze you for more money or make you wait for it, because that is compatible with his statements. And I have no problem with that, at all. As it is, there are already bonuses of some kind for owning both versions.

I want the Wii U to succeed because I have one, and I want to see more and better games for it - and so I think they should make moves that will promote the Wii U.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So...here's a thing. Smash Bros. for 3DS users (non-N3DS people) can't use the browser or Miiverse while in-game, but New 3DS owners can. So...you probably need a New 3DS to fully utilize the game in some way.

What's puzzling me about Smash 3DS/Wii U is the proposed DLC situation. How? I know the eShop recently added a cross-buy program, but I'm hesitant to say this game supports that given its...shortcomings like the ones I mentioned above. I highly doubt the transfer function would register an eshop 'you bought this' ticket, if it was just through the eShop.

Top Bottom