• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Let's wait, I'm thinking that Mewtwo, Ridley, and Dixie could have trophies in the 3DS version. If not, this could raise a potential.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think it's like...1000 times more dissapointing not having Ridley, and it would force these so-called 'Nintendo Fans' who don't want a Wii U to buy it.
There's these little green things called "money" that's keeping people from getting a Wii U. This is basically disk-locked-content except it's 1000 times worse because it's blocked behind a whole system and game that'll run you about 360$.

No, you're not much of a Nintendo fan if you don't want a Wii U, but not having one is pretty justifiable at this point.

I have no problem with the wii u version getting more characters
- it's more expensive
- and comes out later
- and is not on a handheld

I consider these characters a "bonus" for the 3ds version.
Except Sakurai has reiterated time and time again that both will have the exact same characters. And they will.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I don't think there would be locked character that would be unlocked by the Wii U version. DLC released at the same time as the Wii U version, yes, but characters unlocked by connecting the two, no.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
This is such a stupid idea. This would force people who want to play all characters to not only have both consoles, but both games. If they do this I will be extremely disappointed in Sakurai
truthfully this is a necessary tactic for them to use otherwise the Wii U version probably wouldn't get much sales.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've stood by Nintendo all my life and I'm not about to change that stance now.

That being said, I trust them, whatever they decide to do. In my own humble opinion, the easiest and most user-friendly ways to go about this would be:

* Release the characters as standard additions to the Wii U version of the game and simultaneously release them as free DLC for the 3DS version of the game

* Include the option of buying an amiibo of the DLC characters that installs the character's data into your system as well as functioning in the same ways that an amiibo already functions (collectable figure, save custom moves, etc.)

There's always the possibility that, if DLC is included later on, it could work in a fashion akin to Skullgirls: whenever a new character is added to the DLC roster, they're free to purchase for a limited time (in Skullgirls, it's about a month or so); after that, and whenever a new character is added, they're added to the expanded DLC roster and are pay-to-play from then on.

Alternatively, they could be released in "packs", with new packs being released every few months and including a small selection of newcomers - say, a "Returning Veterans" pack and a "Future All-Stars" pack.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Maybe when they release new characters, instead of announcing it, they just put the lock back on all star mode, mysteriously.

Meleefan

Smash Cadet
It appears fairly plausible for a Wii U-3DS character transfer mechanism to be present. It hands us a greater incentive to purchase the Wii U version, if the other factors of buying the Wii U version weren't enough. (1080p 60 frames, different stages, etc) It might very well be grasping at straws due to my slight disappointment in the absence of Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie Kong, etc.. Nonetheless, I hold this as a possibility and hopefully tomorrow's Nintendo stream presents us with more information.

Dratnell

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dratnell-92
3DS FC
4270-2473-1284
It's frustrating how some people are treating Smash Bros for 3DS as the same game as the Wii U version. They're clearly separate experiences and should be treated as such. It makes no sense to say "I'm not buying the Wii U for Smash4 when it's on 3DS" the Wii U version is going to be the definitive competitive game, period. So you better buy a Wii U if you want in on the fun!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hey, any way to cling to hope of certain characters getting in is alright in my book. But I really hope they can do this the right way.

I've been thinking all day, and I figured a way everybody wins with this situation. I read some do not like this idea because it forces people to buy both systems, and Nintendo can bypass this in a very easy way.

Just make those characters DLC the day the Wii U version becomes available. Anybody on both systems can buy the pack. However, for those who have the Wii U and the 3DS version, use the link up and have them be free for each. It's an added incentive to have both versions, but for those not willing to pay $40-$60 and/or the system it is on, they can still get the characters for a lower cost.

I really, really, SERIOUSLY hope this is a reality because 3 of those 4 I want in (I could do without the Chorus Men, not cause I think they are a bad choice, I just think other characters should deserve a spot before them, but what can ya do?)

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If this is confirmed or not denied by the 2nd, I'm canceling my preorder. I'd rather have this roster than being treated like scum by EA Nintendo.
1. Even if unlocking through Wii U connection were true, it wouldn't necessarily be the case that it's the only way to unlock or acquire the characters. You could pay for them separately, have them unlock through other means, or have them only become available/unlockable after a certain date. You might have to wait for them or pay for them, but I doubt they'd make them only available with a Wii U.

2. You're probably one of the people hating on them for the MK8 DLC, despite it offering 50% more content for 20% the price (and since the number of courses on MK8 in the first place was the same as previous installments, and the classic tracks were more revamped than in any previous installment too, it's not like you can say they held back on the original release).

Waah, they're giving you a ton of content for $40... But asking you to pay more for more content makes them scum. Yeah.

You should just go ahead and ragequit then, because there's almost certainly going to be no announcement by the 2nd regardless of whether this theory is true or not. Then you can sit around for a couple weeks, realize you overreacted and come crawling back to buy the game anyway.

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
I can actually see this happening, and I can see it happening like this:

Wii U offers all of the 3DS characters, plus four/five more characters.
The bonus Wii U characters can be transferred to a user's 3DS for free. (Tied to the Nintendo Network account.)
The Wii U characters get added to 3DS eShop for DLC after like 3 weeks or so for around $1.50-$2.00 per character, or all four in a pack for $6.50-$7.00

Alternatively, the Wii U version is missing four characters from the 3DS, and instead has four exclusive characters, but if you own both copies of the game, then you can unlock the missing characters for free as an incentive/bonus for owning both, and then the missing characters get added to the eShop later on.

This way, people who bought both versions get a bonus, and people who only wanted one version can still get the characters. It sounds reasonable to me.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I don't understand the spoiled rationale all people who don't want post release content out of spite.

First Nintendo could do this any number of ways, DLC, amiibos, etc

Second, no ones forcing anyone to buy anything.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
1. Even if unlocking through Wii U connection were true, it wouldn't necessarily be the case that it's the only way to unlock or acquire the characters. You could pay for them separately, have them unlock through other means, or have them only become available/unlockable after a certain date. You might have to wait for them or pay for them, but I doubt they'd make them only available with a Wii U.

2. You're probably one of the people hating on them for the MK8 DLC, despite it offering 50% more content for 20% the price (and since the number of courses on MK8 in the first place was the same as previous installments, and the classic tracks were more revamped than in any previous installment too, it's not like you can say they held back on the original release).

Waah, they're giving you a ton of content for $40... But asking you to pay more for more content makes them scum. Yeah.

You should just go ahead and ragequit then, because there's almost certainly going to be no announcement by the 2nd regardless of whether this theory is true or not. Then you can sit around for a couple weeks, realize you overreacted and come crawling back to buy the game anyway.
1. I could see Wii U/3DS connectivity allowing for early access. I would not be entirely pissed by this. I was speaking in terms of "Only Wii U allows you to use X chars in 3DS", which would be obvious and blatant abuse of the majority of 3DS users who don't own a Wii U. By the way, I think the chances of this happening are practically inexistent, I believe if we're to get more chars they'll be DLC either on Japanese 3DS release or Japanese Wii U release.

2. Do I really seem like someone who cares about Wii U DLC? Still, what would make them scum is charging me for content I already have. It's not DLC that I'm against, it's games which have had content developed before release with the intention of selling it later. We all know how this ends up.

domriver

Smash Lord
Wii U: Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie and Mewtwo.
3DS: DHD, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, Dr Mario

They actually fit into the 3DS roster nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/PliZwku.png

and can support DLC nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/JajAywn.png

Next, none of the above newcomers have trailers revealed. Its possible none of these characters have trailers at all, as they are version exclusives.This would explain a lot in this sense.

Nintendo needs incentives to sell both games. They do this often, with games like Pokemon series. Having unlockable characters by owning both versions is one of the best ways to push both games. Especially when they need to push sales on the Wii U. It would actually make less sense to not include a feature like this from a marketing standpoint.

We have not seen trophies of either of the 4 Wii U characters yet. I know Karate Joe doesnt have a symbol, but the series symbols are overlayed behind the text, and this can be an easy fix with a future patch. For that matter, the polar bear does't have a symbol, yet many believe ICs are a strong candidate for DLC. If you belief they can be DLC, then you'd have to believe having no symbol now means nothing at the moment.

For this to be true, Gematsu would have to be true. Gematsu failed to account for the 3DS exclusive characters. Its very possible the leaker only had inside information with the Wii U version's marketing.

Then we have the /v/ leaker, who claimed these characters are in the game. Please refer to this thread for more details. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70028141

Lastly....if this is true, then this means the 4 characters above are indeed in the games files. While 3DS hacking is difficult, it has been done, and I'd assume it wont be long before people start digging into the games coding. We won't have to wait long to know for sure.

This user claims his source is reliable
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129524882#post129524882
^ This. - We shouldn't be surprised if that really is the case. Like someone stated for Pokemon you had to buy both versions to capture them all. For me I wouldn't be bothered by this move anyways. Lots of companies do this. Remember Soul Calibur 2? Link on Nintendo Spawn on Xbox and I forgot who on Playstation. Hope that this is the case!.

Vvaid0

Smash Rookie
If they do this, I will contempt the idea of selling the game and giving up on Smash Bros. I am not buying a Wii U to have all the characters.

I am all for downloadable content, but "Wii U transfer"? No, thanks.
You know you're lying.

To all the so called "Nintendo fans" that refuse to buy a wii u. How can you call yourselves fans? Do yourself a favor and just buy one already, it's completely worth it.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
No one says it has to be your Wii U. You can use someone else's.

I suppose they wouldn't lock pokemon behind people needing a second gameboy either.

Edit - and how many gamecube games had content that needed a gameboy, and vice verse. This is conceivable, lets wait for the Japanese and American livestreams, they may have details on it

More edit - my pokemon ranch, pokemon ranger, this isnt new people

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Misleading topic is torture

Nows the part where everybody loses touch with reality
Well the Ridley thread has alot of posts and it was never gonna happen, and was even deconfirmed by Sakurai hismelf, so. No suprise :D

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I doubt they would force Wii U owners to buy a Wii U to get a chance at a full roster. I do think that if the character files on on the cart, they will be spot pass. Unless this really is the vanilla roster than just screw Sakurai all together. I also feel that 3DS owners should not have to pay to feel out those last 4 spaces. Just seems to obvious.

We should have paid DLC characters. Then leaving out Isaac, Rob, and a number of others just screams DLC imo. But we should get DLC characters AFTER the 3DS CSS is filled I think. Unless of course those 4 spaces are filled with free DLC and paid DLC comes after. Now what I don't want is for those last 4 spaces to be the only DLC. That would insinuate that Sakurai did this entire thing purposely.

Last edited:

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
Why can't you guys be happy with the giant roster we already have

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Given that Nintendo isn't a fan of how people leak their entire rosters in a day of release and knew that we would, and given that they want to excite people and build hype before Wii U's release, and given development timelines, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a download appear when the Wii U version drops. I doubt they'll force people to buy both, but I also really doubt that the quite unorganized character select screen of the 3DS is the final intention of its creators.

Perhaps the transfer-ability allows you to buy the DLC on 3DS or Wii U and share it between your systems so that you don't have to pay for it twice.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman

I suppose they wouldn't lock pokemon behind people needing a second gameboy either.

Edit - and how many gamecube games had content that needed a gameboy, and vice verse. This is conceivable, lets wait for the Japanese and American livestreams, they may have details on it

Pokemon is built around that concept. and those Gamecube/Gameboy games only unlocked minor features. Characters are the biggest draw for smash. I don't see them forcing people to connect to a wii u. However if they offer in-store events like Pokemon to receive the character I can see it happening.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Perhaps the transfer-ability allows you to buy the DLC on 3DS or Wii U and share it between your systems so that you don't have to pay for it twice.
This seems reasonable. Buy both versions to get the fighters for free, or buy the dlc in one once they launch and transfer it to the other later. Or maybe 3ds also gets it for free, but have to wait for the wii u launch.

This is far more likely than some of the microsoft/ea level conspiracies some seem to think this is.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Why can't you guys be happy with the giant roster we already have
It is not really giant to me. I play Tekken TT2 and UMvC3 (50 with no clones) a lot. those are giant lol. And honestly 48-3 clones is not that great. especially when you factor in the characters that got cut and the highly requested ones that are STILL absent. I know this game is getting DLC though. Instant money maker. I would prefer if it gets an expansion that is just for the Wii U/ New 3DS so limitations will not be a problem.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't understand the spoiled rationale all people who don't want post release content out of spite.

First Nintendo could do this any number of ways, DLC, amiibos, etc

Second, no ones forcing anyone to buy anything.
It's not spite, it's just that there's a bit of evidence it wouldn't happen, especially not this way.

Pokemon is a completely different case, and has done this since the beginning. I don't think I need to explain.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
It's not spite, it's just that there's a bit of evidence it wouldn't happen, especially not this way.

Pokemon is a completely different case, and has done this since the beginning. I don't think I need to explain.
I think it's also the fact that there was a lot of unneeded stuff that happened in smash 4. 8 clone characters, and we are missing a lot of characters from previous games. If the dlc is characters we missed from brawl, isint that kind of cheap of nintendo?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think it's also the fact that there was a lot of unneeded stuff that happened in smash 4. 8 clone characters, and we are missing a lot of characters from previous games. If the dlc is characters we missed from brawl, isint that kind of cheap of nintendo?
Exactly. Nintendo wouldn't do something like this.

...8 clones? More like 6.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Nintendo wouldn't do something like this.

...8 clones? More like 6.
Sorry Ganon and Falco are not really clones. XD That's pushing it on my part. I'm just very upset today for reasons, and smash bros is mushed into there for some reason. I think I'm going to love smash 4 when I buy it, I just don't understand the ideals behind putting dark pit/sheik/zero suit samus/dr mario as there own slots when someone like alph or the koopalings dont get there own slots and they are actually there own characters.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sorry Ganon and Falco are not really clones. XD That's pushing it on my part. I'm just very upset today for reasons, and smash bros is mushed into there for some reason. I think I'm going to love smash 4 when I buy it, I just don't understand the ideals behind putting dark pit/sheik/zero suit samus/dr mario as there own slots when someone like alph or the koopalings dont get there own slots and they are actually there own characters.
Sakurai never saw it as slots. Zelda and Shiek were always two characters, PKMN Trainer was three, and Metroid has had two characters since Brawl.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai never saw it as slots. Zelda and Shiek were always two characters, PKMN Trainer was three, and Metroid has had two characters since Brawl.
I guess so. But still. It doesnt make sense to have DIFFERENT characters on the same slot, and THE SAME character to have multiple.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think, looking at the Roster Layout, if it works out this way, Shulk moves up a Row, and Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie and Chorus Men go on the right of the random button, which is then in the middle of the last row. Symmetry.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
If this is confirmed or not denied by the 2nd, I'm canceling my preorder. I'd rather have this roster than being treated like scum by EA Nintendo.
Treated like scum? Quit being a cheap ***! Nintendo is a BUSINESS. Nothing personal n besides if u were a real nintendo fan, u would already have a wii u

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Nintendo is a business. If they want you to buy both versions, they're going to give incentives for you to do so. Just asking you to buy both out of the goodness of your heart isn't good enough.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Nintendo is a business. If they want you to buy both versions, they're going to give incentives for you to do so. Just asking you to buy both out of the goodness of your heart isn't good enough.
This is what I have been saying.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess so. But still. It doesnt make sense to have DIFFERENT characters on the same slot, and THE SAME character to have multiple.
You're chasing windmills, here. Sakurai never has, and never will, care about slots. It's all about the individual movesets, nothing more.

Treated like scum? Quit being a cheap ***! Nintendo is a BUSINESS. Nothing personal n besides if u were a real nintendo fan, u would already have a wii u
I've ended up with two Wii Us and I can say that's BS. How much a fan you are and wether or not you can keep up with the new systems are two totally different things. And yes, he doesn't want Nintendo to rip us off. Is that so bad?

Trophies, stages, customizations, GSP... Basically anything besides characters is acceptable.

Think about it like this: How do you choose which characters to lock like this? How do you prevent the fans that can only afford the one version from feeling cheated when the character they like is locked behind a price tag and is already in the game? You don't, in both situations.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I think it's unlikely but possible. That would be really really gross to imagine. Like wat I'd rather just do paid DLC, and I have both systems

Top Bottom