• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Remember when you bought two versions of pokemon to catch them all? :D

Also heres a better/worse idea: Buying amiibos of potential DLC characters = in game as playable.
Actually, It would be super cool if Nintendo released DLC amiibos at the standard price of an amiibo, plus the price of the dlc. A neat little bundle offer, no?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This hypothesis can be tested by anyone who can get into the game data. If this is the case, then surely there would be some kind of placeholder in the gamedata in the gamedata at the very least, much like Mario Kart 8 had the placeholders for the DLC cups.

If this is confirmed or not denied by the 2nd, I'm canceling my preorder. I'd rather have this roster than being treated like scum by EA Nintendo.
I seriously doubt that they're doing this, but equally I don't see how having extra characters unlocked for each by having both is being treated like scum. It's a 50 (if this is true, even more) character roster.

Anyhow, look on the bright side, if you're not Japanese they're already treating you like scum.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Everybody except people who didn't want or care about those characters. Which is probably a majority of people who will buy the game.

Also, this isn't going to happen; the whole point of having the same rosters is specifically so you don't have to buy both versions to have all the characters. DLC is a possibility but this isn't unless Nintendo wants to be the next EA/Capcom.
Umm Capcom did help with this game... Fyi

Raijinken

Smash Master
I like this sort of unlockable, as long as there's an option for those who don't have or live near people with a Wii U. The system was cool for Mario Tennis on the GBC (even though it took me six years to get to transfer due to availability of friends with both a N64, Mario Tennis for it, and a Transfer Pack), and I would not mind seeing it return.

The uneven character screen drives me insane now.

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
It is not really giant to me. I play Tekken TT2 and UMvC3 (50 with no clones) a lot. those are giant lol. And honestly 48-3 clones is not that great. especially when you factor in the characters that got cut and the highly requested ones that are STILL absent. I know this game is getting DLC though. Instant money maker. I would prefer if it gets an expansion that is just for the Wii U/ New 3DS so limitations will not be a problem.
Its big for smash though They gotta leave some people for smash 5

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Its big for smash though They gotta leave some people for smash 5
Excuse me. XD Smash 4 has barely anymore characters than smash 3. Are you seriously telling me you think they are saving characters for smash 5? Smash 5 wont happen till next next gen, that wont be for yearsssssss

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I can't believe there are people who actually want this to happen. So you want 3DS-only players (aka the majority of the people who are buying the game) to stay forever with an incomplete roster? What a bunch of egoists. If someone suggested the contrary (buying the 3DS and the 3DS version in order to unlock more Wii U characters), you would be all complaining.

I am all for Nintendo releasing a few more newcomers once the Wii U version is out (the new content could even come on the Wii U disc and be released as free DLC for the 3DS version), but the idea of obligating people to buy a Wii U and Smash Wii U to have the full roster on the 3DS version is just terrible. If Nintendo does that, they deserve all the **** people give them.
So are you guys who don't want it saying you rather not have the characters at all instead of them being bonuses to the people who bought both versions? Because thats exactly what you're saying and it honestly sounds a little selfish.
Are you serious? You people want who buys only one version to have an incomplete game and WE are the selfish ones?

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
This really is starting to look like the 5 stages of grief. I wanted good characters like Ridley too but it's over folks. Maybe there'll be paid DLC.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Think about it like this: How do you choose which characters to lock like this? How do you prevent the fans that can only afford the one version from feeling cheated when the character they like is locked behind a price tag and is already in the game? You don't, in both situations.
The ones you feel you can't finish in time for the first version, or ones that came into the development process late. Nintendo NEEDED both of these versions out by Christmas, period. Why? What else could they have? They need Smash Bros. out there for Wii U and Amiibos. Nintendo COULD NOT delay these to next year. It was financially imperative for them to get them out this year, by hook or by crook.

If Nintendo said around the time of N3DS coming to NA/EU that 'we're releasing the 4 Smash link characters as Amiibos, and you can unlock them on 3DS through these' it's still DLC, but at a later date/time and doesn't require a full commitment from those people who are absolutely not going to buy a Wii U but want those characters, would it make you feel better? Yes, because you spat in the face of your wrongdoers and held out for them to come as DLC. But why bother waiting at that point if you desperately wanted them?

Nintendo's done this before, and not just with Pokemon. E-Reader. Nintendo Power. Metroid Prime with Fusion and that with Zero Mission. I'm sure there are other examples of this that I can't think of, but it's not a new concept and is one they do quite often and no one raises a fuss.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Excuse me. XD Smash 4 has barely anymore characters than smash 3. Are you seriously telling me you think they are saving characters for smash 5? Smash 5 wont happen till next next gen, that wont be for yearsssssss
Smash Wii U is smash 5 , Sakurai has said so 8D

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Smash Wii U is Smash 5, I hope the balancing is different. That'll make things really fun.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only way Nintendo can make this "right" is if the Wii U version lacks a few characters as well. If the only way for Wii U players to have access to Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Dr Mario and heck, even Dark Pit is connecting both versions, then the 3DS players will not feel as they are being treated as scum as they would otherwise. So if you buy only the 3DS version, you don't have a few unannounced characters and if you don't buy the 3DS version, you don't have the leaked newcomers.

Alternatively, Nintendo could simply release more characters via DLC and avoid the scummy method of releasing more characters.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I have a small theory. DLC will be available for separate purchases on both games, but linking the two will get you it for free.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This hypothesis can be tested by anyone who can get into the game data. If this is the case, then surely there would be some kind of placeholder in the gamedata in the gamedata at the very least, much like Mario Kart 8 had the placeholders for the DLC cups.

I seriously doubt that they're doing this, but equally I don't see how having extra characters unlocked for each by having both is being treated like scum. It's a 50 (if this is true, even more) character roster.

Anyhow, look on the bright side, if you're not Japanese they're already treating you like scum.
It's called "translation." They also need to repeatthe bugtest for the localization just to make sure.

The ones you feel you can't finish in time for the first version, or ones that came into the development process late. Nintendo NEEDED both of these versions out by Christmas, period. Why? What else could they have? They need Smash Bros. out there for Wii U and Amiibos. Nintendo COULD NOT delay these to next year. It was financially imperative for them to get them out this year, by hook or by crook.

If Nintendo said around the time of N3DS coming to NA/EU that 'we're releasing the 4 Smash link characters as Amiibos, and you can unlock them on 3DS through these' it's still DLC, but at a later date/time and doesn't require a full commitment from those people who are absolutely not going to buy a Wii U but want those characters, would it make you feel better? Yes, because you spat in the face of your wrongdoers and held out for them to come as DLC. But why bother waiting at that point if you desperately wanted them?

Nintendo's done this before, and not just with Pokemon. E-Reader. Nintendo Power. Metroid Prime with Fusion and that with Zero Mission. I'm sure there are other examples of this that I can't think of, but it's not a new concept and is one they do quite often and no one raises a fuss.
The point is moot because the two versions will undoubtedly have the same exact characters. They're not putting the extra SSBU time into characters, but stages and solo modes.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Idk. Dropping everyone now would kind of be a **** up for nintendo, since they're putting everything in on Smash Wii U. Intended characters for 3ds probably got pushed back after Nintendo forced Sakurai to go multi plat, so we'll probably get 1-3 new people for Wii U.

Plus the absence of Issac as an Assist Trophy when they kept Saki in is WAY too sketchy for me.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I really think the blacklash would be too great. I mean, it's worse than on-disc dlc.

R0Y

Smash Master
I really think the blacklash would be too great. I mean, it's worse than on-disc dlc.
Not if it's downloadable and not existent on the game card to begin with. Pricier, sure, but if you're getting the 3DS version as a substitute for the Wii U version, you're doing it wrong. It's not a substitute.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Another thing i'd like to point out is that the versions of smash that people got ahead of time have said they would need an update before they could play online.

There's a direct the 12th, it's not completely impossible that the update could add a character Sakurai kept back to make the hype explode.

The man is a hype master afterall

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Another thing i'd like to point out is that the versions of smash that people got ahead of time have said they would need an update before they could play online.

There's a direct the 12th, it's not completely impossible that the update could add a character Sakurai kept back to make the hype explode.

The man is a hype master afterall
If Ridley isn't playable, the man is a hype disaster.

I'm down with this. More characters (That AREN'T clones.) are always a good thing in my book. If they straight up cost money, I'll be irritated, especially if it seems like they could have been in from day 1. If there are exclusives to both systems that get added to each other when they connect, that works out pretty okay, but only if there are other ways to get them too. If the other way is paying extra... At least you're not buying a whole other system....

We'll have to see how this plays out. Hoping that SOMETHING salvageable come out of this trip at the finish line.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I highly doubt this is real. Regardless of how "credible" the source is, he later went on to post about how his NoE "friend" didn't actually see anything in-game and how it was all speculation and a "feeling" based on the connectivity menu bar. There is literally no confirmation of anything nor do I have any inclination to believe this.

Here's hoping Nintendo Treehouse tomorrow blows this out of the water or something cause it just seems redundant.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Not if it's downloadable and not existent on the game card to begin with. Pricier, sure, but if you're getting the 3DS version as a substitute for the Wii U version, you're doing it wrong. It's not a substitute.
They are fully priced games. They should each have the full content within each individually. The 3ds is not a substitute or a bonus, it's a completely different game!

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I highly doubt this is real. Regardless of how "credible" the source is, he later went on to post about how his NoE "friend" didn't actually see anything in-game and how it was all speculation and a "feeling" based on the connectivity menu bar. There is literally no confirmation of anything nor do I have any inclination to believe this.

Here's hoping Nintendo Treehouse tomorrow blows this out of the water or something cause it just seems redundant.
I've thought about this some more.

Sakurai and Nintendo were very sure to state that the roster will be the same for both versions, many many times. I''ve also realized that there are TONS of hints towards things in the character intro videos, (Pac-man being in the clouds in the Greninja trailer, Dark Pit basically saying he's in when Palutena asks if he came to crash her party, GnW in the Pac video) which makes me think that there's still information that we've been given that we don't realize is information yet. Along with Issac being the only non returning Assist Trophy (excluding grey fox since he's 3rd party, and Mac since he's playable), there is evidence that leads to more characters being announced.

Honestly, we'll have to wait for the stream tomorrow. I''m positive there will be a new character shown, and we can comb the video for hints.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
The only way Nintendo can make this "right" is if the Wii U version lacks a few characters as well. If the only way for Wii U players to have access to Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Dr Mario and heck, even Dark Pit is connecting both versions, then the 3DS players will not feel as they are being treated as scum as they would otherwise. So if you buy only the 3DS version, you don't have a few unannounced characters and if you don't buy the 3DS version, you don't have the leaked newcomers.

Alternatively, Nintendo could simply release more characters via DLC and avoid the scummy method of releasing more characters.
The customers who purchase both versions spend close to $700, factoring the console and bundle. Considering the fact that Smash has historically been a console game, 3DS ownsers should feel lucky a handheld version was even developed. 3DS owners have become extremely entitled because of this. In order to get the extra characters, the customer must spend a considerable amount of money. This is fair. Thinking otherwise or hoping that there are no extra characters for those that spent much more money than you is selfish and entitled, especially taking into account the 3DS version has been holding the game back, just imagine how much more content could have been made if they didn't have to spend all that time on developing for 3DS

R0Y

Smash Master
They are fully priced games. They should each have the full content within each individually. The 3ds is not a substitute or a bonus, it's a completely different game!
It's basically the same game, downported for a less powerful system and with less music. Probably fewer stages and modes too, I guarantee it. The mechanics, items, characters, and even some of the stages are the same. Remember, Smash 3DS doesn't even have an FMV intro like Melee or Brawl, minor but notable.

It's dedicated handheld priced. Technically that's full price but it's still roughly 2/3rd internationally of what the Wii U version will sell for...except in Japan which has some really weird price tiers and they'll probably be closer in price.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Really hoping that you won't need both consoles just to pretty much get full access to the game. Nintendo's been a little ridiculous lately with the new 3DS and not letting us use the Circle Pad Pro on this game, but I can only hope they won't be ridiculous enough to only let people who put in the money for two consoles and two of the same game to have access to certain characters. Costumes and trophies? Sure, but not characters.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I sincerely doubt that you'd be forced to have a Wii U/SmashWiiU to have these characters. They'll probably just be a free download thus to your 3DS rather than paying for the DLC separate.

And to be perfectly honest, this doesn't bother me whatsoever. Maybe it's more because I want to be convinced there are more characters but I have this nagging feeling that it's a thing. I hope so.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The customers who purchase both versions spend close to $700, factoring the console and bundle. Considering the fact that Smash has historically been a console game, 3DS ownsers should feel lucky a handheld version was even developed. 3DS owners have become extremely entitled because of this. In order to get the extra characters, the customer must spend a considerable amount of money. This is fair. Thinking otherwise or hoping that there are no extra characters for those that spent much more money than you is selfish and entitled, especially taking into account the 3DS version has been holding the game back, just imagine how much more content could have been made if they didn't have to spend all that time on developing for 3DS
Dude. Smash 4 was going to be 3ds ONLY. Any cutbacks were from the upper management at Nintendo forcing Sakurai to make it for the wii u as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To be fair, some of our most requested characters got the middle finger.
It's just that Sakurai has always been interested in the "silent majority" and whatnot. Little Mac, Shulk, and Robin are characters that are considered cool nowadays. Ridley and K. Rool basically only appeal to kids interested in dinosaurs and dragons and Metroid/older DK fans. It's like what Sakurai said: Picking characters is stressful, and ultimately about picking those with wide appeal. DP, DrM, and Lucina over Alph, for example.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
People are acting like Nintendo did not do this before.
But I feel like it's different with Smash Bros. This is a game where people play against friends and others online continuously, and each character having their own movesets (With the exception of clones and such) If you went online to play and saw that someone was using a character you have no access to because you only have a 3DS and don't want a WiiU, that wouldn't be fair. DLC is a little more fair because you don't need something as drastic as another console to get it.

D

Deleted member

Wii U: Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie and Mewtwo.
3DS: DHD, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, Dr Mario

They actually fit into the 3DS roster nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/PliZwku.png

and can support DLC nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/JajAywn.png

Next, none of the above newcomers have trailers revealed. Its possible none of these characters have trailers at all, as they are version exclusives.This would explain a lot in this sense.

Nintendo needs incentives to sell both games. They do this often, with games like Pokemon series. Having unlockable characters by owning both versions is one of the best ways to push both games. Especially when they need to push sales on the Wii U. It would actually make less sense to not include a feature like this from a marketing standpoint.

We have not seen trophies of either of the 4 Wii U characters yet. I know Karate Joe doesnt have a symbol, but the series symbols are overlayed behind the text, and this can be an easy fix with a future patch. For that matter, the polar bear does't have a symbol, yet many believe ICs are a strong candidate for DLC. If you belief they can be DLC, then you'd have to believe having no symbol now means nothing at the moment.

For this to be true, Gematsu would have to be true. Gematsu failed to account for the 3DS exclusive characters. Its very possible the leaker only had inside information with the Wii U version's marketing.

Then we have the /v/ leaker, who claimed these characters are in the game. Please refer to this thread for more details. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70028141

Lastly....if this is true, then this means the 4 characters above are indeed in the games files. While 3DS hacking is difficult, it has been done, and I'd assume it wont be long before people start digging into the games coding. We won't have to wait long to know for sure.

This user claims his source is reliable
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129524882#post129524882
When you make bold claims that turn out to be false on NeoGaf, you get banned. No one takes risks like that on that site, so this is actually pretty believable. The logic he uses makes sense, too...and visually, just LOOK at that CSS with those remaining characters put in. It just looks natural.

I'd keep the hope alive, folks.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If I may, I'd like to ask: It was said by Nintendo and Sakurai that both versions of the game would have the same roster and they seemed clear on that. Not trying to deny the whole transfer to unlock new characters, but how is this any different now?

Morbi

Scavenger
If I may, I'd like to ask: It was said by Nintendo and Sakurai that both versions of the game would have the same roster and they seemed clear on that. Not trying to deny the whole transfer to unlock new characters, but how is this any different now?
It is not different. That is the point, each version would still have the same roster.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
There is no justifying spending $360 extra dollars to unlock 5 more characters on the 3DS Smash if people have no plans to even get a Wii U and Smash Wii U. That makes Capcom making you pay $20 to unlock 12 characters in SFXT seem VERY tame in Comparison. Plus The Wii U Version would not have existed if Miyamoto did not request Sakurai to develop it.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's just that Sakurai has always been interested in the "silent majority" and whatnot. Little Mac, Shulk, and Robin are characters that are considered cool nowadays. Ridley and K. Rool basically only appeal to kids interested in dinosaurs and dragons and Metroid/older DK fans. It's like what Sakurai said: Picking characters is stressful, and ultimately about picking those with wide appeal. DP, DrM, and Lucina over Alph, for example.
Actually, from what i've seen, Sakurai bases most of the smash cast on the Japanese base.

Which is why Metroid only gets Samus (which i agree with actually), and there's like 5 billion Mario reps because hey! Mario is the best selling Nintendo series.

Also why the Japanese were all kind of like "wtf" when Mac was put in to appeal to the west. But that's probably the only thing we've gotten.

Top Bottom