• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

Booster

Smash Lord
Let's hope it's true:

Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Isacc

Four slots. Four most wanted characters in the series. I know Mewtwo was in Melee but thanks to Serebii.Net he got cut from the series.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Dude. Smash 4 was going to be 3ds ONLY. Any cutbacks were from the upper management at Nintendo forcing Sakurai to make it for the wii u as well.
There is no justifying spending $360 extra dollars to unlock 5 more characters on the 3DS Smash if people have no plans to even get a Wii U and Smash Wii U. That makes Capcom making you pay $20 to unlock 12 characters in SFXT seem VERY tame in Comparison. Plus The Wii U Version would not have existed if Miyamoto did not request Sakurai to develop it.
Haha.. You honestly think Miyamoto nicely asked Sakurai to develop Smash for 3DS? Get real. That was Nintendo telling Sakurai he had no choice. There is no way there wasn't going to be a Wii U version, don't act like Nintendo would be ok with one of its biggest games not helping Wii U sell. Nintendo said either Sakurai helps make the Wii U version or he takes a hike. Why do you think most reveals are done with a focus on the Wii U? Don't be so naive. In the end, the 3DS limitations hurt the series

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Haha.. You honestly think Miyamoto nicely asked Sakurai to develop Smash for 3DS? Get real. That was Nintendo telling Sakurai he had no choice. There is no way there wasn't going to be a Wii U version, don't act like Nintendo would be ok with one of its biggest games not helping Wii U sell. Nintendo said either Sakurai helps make the Wii U version or he takes a hike. Why do you think most reveals are done with a focus on the Wii U? Don't be so naive. In the end, the 3DS limitations hurt the series
We know for a fact that Sakurai initiated SSB3D's development. We also know that Iwata personally asked him to make SSBU. Iwata isn't crewel. Besides, the act of firing Sakurai would ultimately kill SSB's sales.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I did say Nintendo forced Sakurai to make it.

But it's the other way around. 3ds would have sold like hotcakes no matter what. It was developing the Wii U version simultaneously along with the 3ds version that limited the 3ds.

FFS Smash isint even that complicated to run. There are way more technically impressive games on the 3ds atm.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Guys, give it up. We lost. It's over.
Nintendo ain't stupid, and I can guarantee that Sakurai knows we know the 3ds roster.

I will confidently say now that there are probably characters still in dev that will go live when Wii U releases. All you nay sayers can ****ing quote me on it too.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
The 3DS does have it's limitations but the Gameplay footage that we seen so far suggest that the system can more than handle it as it's running at a smooth 60 fps. Plus it looks impressive for a handheld game. They won't make something that the system can't handle. Why do you think Xenoblade Chronicles is coming to the "New" Nintendo 3DS? Cause the current 3DS systems can't handle it.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
So much angry about the roster just because 2-3 wanted characters aren't in, it's ok to be disappointed but you'd think someone had died with the way people are reacting. Chances are you'll all buy Sm4sh either way, so let's just hug it out and move on.

Last edited:

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
The Wii u version is our only hope. After seeing both an ice climber and rythym heaven enemy in smash run, along with the huge ridley tease, and his "we're thinking about it" comment on mewtwo, I am baffled at the absence of any of these characters

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nintendo ain't stupid, and I can guarantee that Sakurai knows we know the 3ds roster.

I will confidently say now that there are probably characters still in dev that will go live when Wii U releases. All you nay sayers can ****ing quote me on it too.
Consider it done. I expect Sakurai to debunk DLC and these Wii U characters any day now. SM3DW's was debunked on release.

PirateHaxx

Smash Cadet
So much angry about the roster just because 2-3 wanted characters aren't in, it's ok to be disappointed but you'd think someone had died with the way people are reacting. Chances are you'll all buy Sm4sh either way, so let's just hug it out and move on.
Not only that, but also the choice of wolf and ice climbers cut....

Vvaid0

Smash Rookie
Ill gladly pay for DLC. Even if it's already on the disk. The dlc for Mario Kart is a hell of a deal. What's $10-15 for something we'll put hundreds of hours into playing for a company we like to make some extra dough to fund other games.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The 3DS does have it's limitations but the Gameplay footage that we seen so far suggest that the system can more than handle it as it's running at a smooth 60 fps. Plus it looks impressive for a handheld game. They won't make something that the system can't handle. Why do you think Xenoblade Chronicles is coming to the "New" Nintendo 3DS? Cause the current 3DS systems can't handle it.
Lol, have you seen Resident Evil Revelations? Xenoblade is exclusive because the current 3ds probably couldnt handle the large open areas, and Nintendo/Monolith is smart enough to know not to compromise the game world by chunking it up a ton.
Consider it done. I expect Sakurai to debunk DLC and these Wii U characters any day now. SM3DW's was debunked on release.
I'm not saying there will be DLC at all, just one to three characters that were held back for that extra dev time needed + to keep the hype factor going for Wii U.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The hype factor for WiiU is the visuals and the GC adapter. Not much else needs to be said. They've DONE all their hyping for it. The 3DS version promotes WiiU because people are gonna go "and if THIS looks good, imagine THIS and with better controls!" especially with the New 3DS not coming stateside this year.

Let tomorrow's treehouse explain the link function and say it is purely for extra stuff that does NOT affect characters!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lol, have you seen Resident Evil Revelations? Xenoblade is exclusive because the current 3ds probably couldnt handle the large open areas, and Nintendo/Monolith is smart enough to know not to compromise the game world by chunking it up a ton.

I'm not saying there will be DLC at all, just one to three characters that were held back for that extra dev time needed + to keep the hype factor going for Wii U.
That's what I said...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
As much as I'd like it to be true, I'm not believing it until I see it. As of now, the big three are warm and dead. They're not coming back no matter how much CPR we try to give them. The game is out and they're not in.

Yeah, I'm furious. I was neutral on Ridley, but I got to like him more and more as time went on. I would have put money on at least one of the big 3 being in, and we got nothing. I'll still get the game - I have a 3ds already and the Gerudo Valley stage looks great, and I'm psyched that Link's finally getting a Fierce Deity recolor.

If we can unlock Mewtwo and Ridley by hooking up to the WiiU, I have no problem. I can't play with my friends with the 3ds version, but I can't bring my WiiU and TV around. I'll probably get both anyway, and extra characters will just sweeten everything.

But I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment when there's only the tiniest glimmer of hope in the first place. If a year's worth of Ridley teasing doesn't get him in...well, there's not even a hint about connectivity unlockables.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Again, I don't see what the problem is if the people who get both versions can have early access through transferring, and then the people who only have one version get access to them as DLC through the eShop. Everyone wins, no one ha to throw down hundreds of dollars on a system they didn't want, and if Fire Emblem and Mario Kart 8 are anything to go by, I can't see the DLC being an outrageous price.

Last edited:

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
If this is true the best possible thing for Sakurai to do would be to announce it (without naming the characters) when the 3DS launches to keep hype alive for the Wii U version - otherwise the majority of people aren't going to keep checking his daily updates IMO as the only thing most care about are new characters or stages. No one really cares about items, music, or selection screens....

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
If this is true the best possible thing for Sakurai to do would be to announce it (without naming the characters) when the 3DS launches to keep hype alive for the Wii U version - otherwise the majority of people aren't going to keep checking his daily updates IMO as the only thing most care about are new characters or stages. No one really cares about items, music, or selection screens....
True. I don't see people getting hype over those things, and I agree people won't be super excited for the wii u version knowing there probably won't be any new characters.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
As much as I'd like it to be true, I'm not believing it until I see it. As of now, the big three are warm and dead. They're not coming back no matter how much CPR we try to give them. The game is out and they're not in.

Yeah, I'm furious. I was neutral on Ridley, but I got to like him more and more as time went on. I would have put money on at least one of the big 3 being in, and we got nothing. I'll still get the game - I have a 3ds already and the Gerudo Valley stage looks great, and I'm psyched that Link's finally getting a Fierce Deity recolor.

If we can unlock Mewtwo and Ridley by hooking up to the WiiU, I have no problem. I can't play with my friends with the 3ds version, but I can't bring my WiiU and TV around. I'll probably get both anyway, and extra characters will just sweeten everything.

But I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment when there's only the tiniest glimmer of hope in the first place. If a year's worth of Ridley teasing doesn't get him in...well, there's not even a hint about connectivity unlockables.
It's impossible. No DLC. No big 3. I agree with everything you posted except the glimmer of hope. There is no glimmer. The big 3 are not now, nor will they ever be in smash in a playable state.

R0Y

Smash Master
There is no justifying spending $360 extra dollars to unlock 5 more characters on the 3DS Smash if people have no plans to even get a Wii U and Smash Wii U. That makes Capcom making you pay $20 to unlock 12 characters in SFXT seem VERY tame in Comparison. Plus The Wii U Version would not have existed if Miyamoto did not request Sakurai to develop it.
Who says they wouldn't be DLC also? You just get them for free for linking your copy to the Wii U version. Maybe a one time activation code that needs internet. It's a good incentive for more casual players. At any rate I don't believe this rumour anyway, this was just a thought.

Nintendo owns all the IP's and is funding development of both games. Sakurai didn't have a choice if he wanted to make Smash Bros., which btw, is also Iwata's baby to a significant extent from back in their HAL Laboratory days. Nintendo could have pulled funding if Sakurai would refuse to work on a home console version as well.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
To be completely honest, from here it should just be taken as over. Until they announce something (and if another 4 odd characters is going to be a selling point, they'll announce it) there's no point building up more speculation, the only result will be to get more people disappointed.

It's called "translation." They also need to repeatthe bugtest for the localization just to make sure.
They should have been doing it in parallel. Having release dates a few days out is one thing, the best part of a month in this day and age is bizarre to say the least.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm expecting a character trailer tomorrow. And not anyone we currently know, either.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm expecting a character trailer tomorrow. And not anyone we currently know, either.
Wolf and Mewtwo returns. Sakurai reveals those who got the game early don't get access to every character since some characters are locked until release date. Also, early players can't unlock them unless they start over. Nice on, Sakurai.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
"This week on shattered dreams."

It would be nice, it would be interesting, but there's no point expecting it.

No matter how many characters make the roster, there will always be those who are disappointed in the final result, as you can never have everyone.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
"This week on shattered dreams."

It would be nice, it would be interesting, but there's no point expecting it.

No matter how many characters make the roster, there will always be those who are disappointed in the final result, as you can never have everyone.
You can, but it'd be this nasty blob of a creature. Eugh...

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You can, but it'd be this nasty blob of a creature. Eugh...
You could have a roster of over 200 characters, and there would still be people complaining that such and such missed out.

You could have 60 Mario characters on a roster and there would still be more for people to ask and complain that they weren't in. There is no bound to it.

The only point I'd complain about is the perceived teasing of Ridley, and the fact that Nintendo never bothered to clear up the confusion, as the confusion was entirely based on their releases of information. Even if you think the speculation generated was unreasonable, they had cleared up much smaller points happily even when there was even less reason for confusion. I don't even like Ridley but I think that Nintendo made a massive boo boo there.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
I'm getting both versions anyway, something like this would just give me more bang for my buck and gives us the chance to get some highly requested characters.

Why I think this would be good: gives people the incentive to buy the Wii U version. I know many ppl who are just getting it for the 3DS because they already have a 3DS and aren't going to buy a Wii U just to play this game. However something like this may gain their interest. It's a smart business move.

HOWEVER, if they do this they must make 4 characters exclusive to each version and these exclusive characters should also be available to download as separate DLC and/or downloaded via amiibo purchase. This way people who don't want to get both versions can still get the exclusive characters, though they'd have to wait a bit I'd assume.

Perfect way to push Wii U sales, hype the Wii U version and give fans the characters they've been requesting.

The only thing is, there's no reason to believe this is actually happening.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If someone suggested the contrary (buying the 3DS and the 3DS version in order to unlock more Wii U characters), you would be all complaining.
Not me. I have both systems and fully intend to buy both versions regardless.
the idea of obligating people to buy a Wii U and Smash Wii U to have the full roster on the 3DS version is just terrible.
I think it would make people way too salty if they did that.

But I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to make you wait 3 months for that DLC. Or pay for it. Or some combination of both.

They need to do something to convince someone to buy the Wii U for Smash who might otherwise not have.

Of course, just adding more modes and so forth would do it. We've barely seen anything about that, and I'm sure he has something up his sleeve.

But yet when it's not roster-related, I'm guessing you won't ***** about the 3DS not getting content that's on the Wii U...
Are you serious? You people want who buys only one version to have an incomplete game and WE are the selfish ones?
Who said anything about that? You're assuming that they would've had this finished before the 3DS release. I don't want that, but if they released the 3DS version earlier and finished up DLC content later, that's fine by me.

Davybot

Smash Rookie
NNID
davybot
I'm personally going with 20/80 Real/Fake here, the idea isn't too farfetch'd, although I guess I'm biased seeing how I was already getting both versions.
My only question is if there really is version exclusives, why those characters? 3DS should have Pitoo, Mewtwo, Jr./Isaac and Chorus Kids seeing as those are handheld characters. Ridley, Jr./Dixie, Doc and DHD for Wii U. Would have made more sense if this really is happening.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The only thing we know about the Wii U transfer button is that it allows you to transfer custom movesets between the two versions.

I don't think the Wii U version just having different modes and new ways to play the game is incentive enough for a lot of people to get BOTH versions. Unless there's a major hook by having both most people are going to choose one or the other and not bother with the other. It's just that simple. Having customizable movesets moving between both versions IS NOT good enough incentive to do that. More Modes and Stages IS NOT good enough to do that. THE BIGGEST HOOK of Smash Bros. is the character roster. Period. If there is any hook to get people to buy both versions, which, guess what, Nintendo desperately wants you to do, it's going to be that.

You may not like it, but they have to do what they have to do. If you're one of the people who are absolutely ticked over that simple premise, you were probably never going to buy a Wii U in the first place.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
To be fair, some of our most requested characters got the middle finger.
By what? Not including them? That happens to literally every character not in the game. I think Chrom is the only one to get that, and he's still in the game as a Final Smash.

None of our request characters are guaranteed any role in the game.

And on the actually topic? Let's wait until something actually happens before making any judgements about the game. I agree with Mario_and_Sonic_Guy. It's probably customizable content.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Let's keep one big thing in mind. Sakurai hasn't said we've received all of the Newcomer Trailers yet. With the 3DS version about to be released, releasing any newcomer trailer for the Wii U version when everyone knows the final roster of the 3DS version is...pretty stupid if you ask me. Unless, of course, it's a character we don't already know about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom