• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
I think that article ^ and the fact that Dixie Kong was presumably(?) found as a trophy kind of kill this rumor.
Actually completely disagree. Sakurai is saying that he fundamentally wants people to "be able" to have the same experience on both. The quoted part is important, because being able to have the same characters in both is not the same as starting with the same characters in both. And I don't really believe the trophy part matters - how hard would it be to include an updated trophy description if a character is moved to a playable role?

Not definitive either way but again - I would strongly question Nintendo's business strategy if they didn't have a gimmick like this to encourage gamers to spend more on their games. It makes so much sense to give the characters for free if both 3DS and Wii U copies are owned and to offer them as paid DLC if gamers only own one or the other.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Extreme Strawgrasping.

But the kind of grasping I like; I hope its true :3

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
And now it's been confirmed the WiiU version connects to 3DS to let you use it as a control option.

Yeah, this is looking less and less likely.

Also, let's look at an interesting tidbit that is NOT related to Amiibo!
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization
"Before the Super Smash Bros. Direct where the feature was officially announced, in June 2013, Masahiro Sakurai had stated that players will be able to customize characters in the 3DS game and transfer those customizations to the Wii U game."
I'm really sorry, but the Dixie trophy, and all of this, serves to prove only one thing to me. Mass speculation. All this took was a quick google search.

Last edited:

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
I'm with TTTTTsd. I don't think it's happening. Dixie trophy was already found. Mewtwo might be in a Master Ball but no one is playing with items right now. Ridley is probably a stage hazard in Pyrosphere.

It's some weird stuff, I know... but I don't see any good happening. We got the final roster and we're stuck with it. Hate it or Love it. And I personally... hate it. :/

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Irrespective of how likely or unlikely it is, willfully denying the possibility of future characters in some way, shape or form is still choosing to maintain conscious ignorance of what is still potentially legitimate.

I don't necessarily think it'll be a 3DS / Wii U transfer gimmick either, but the fact of the matter is, we just don't know if Sakurai has some more tricks up his magical sorceror's sleeves. To refute the possibility of such a gimmick based on rational verification is only natural and, indeed, commendable; but I would suggest that we not be too hasty to eliminate all other future scenarios merely because we lack the necessary data to prove its existence.

In other words: debunk rumous and theories all you want, but don't presume that that means the contrary perspective is necessarily correct.

To quote the old adage, "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
While I think this is a good hypothesis, I think there has been a lot of far-reaching extrapolations from the original idea. This is not a rumor. No one has said this is going to happen. And even if the idea is true, why do so many people immediately jump to the inane conclusion that the Wii U connection will be the only way for 3DS users to get the characters? I don't think any supporters have brought that up as a possibility.

Shog

Smash Ace
I just want to tell don't get so hyped about the possibility in this case, you all knew the disappointment dear Ridley, Krool and other fans of disproven characters. See it as a pleasant suprise if it actually turns out to get more chars in the games :)

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
this would be more valid if nintendo didn't do all of their DLC with SD Card data. Sorry : / (I also don't think Sakurai would leave characters on the cartridge unless it was old animation data and if it was just 4 characters it would not be 900 some MB. It's probably just useless header data, OR the eshop game is compressed for download speeds. IDK)

The only reason I don't believe the DLC thing is because of how Nintendo has handled it in the past via SD cards.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
this would be more valid if nintendo didn't do all of their DLC with SD Card data. Sorry : / (I also don't think Sakurai would leave characters on the cartridge unless it was old animation data and if it was just 4 characters it would not be 900 some MB. It's probably just useless header data, OR the eshop game is compressed for download speeds. IDK)

The only reason I don't believe the DLC thing is because of how Nintendo has handled it in the past via SD cards.
There's no way that Nintendo managed to compress the game to half of the filesize. I personally dont think they'll do DLC, but updates instead.

Then again...What if that's the filesize for an eshop copy after updates?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That's a fair possibility as well. Perhaps the room is for patches, updates, lord knows. This is the most confusing filesize difference ever.
There's just so much evidence for everything

I bet Sakurai planned it too, that trolling master

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
He loves to surprise us all. . .
And we love to surprise him back with leaks. (right?)
No, Sakurai is always two steps ahead

He knows we're gonna leak things so he trolls us by doing something else instead

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
My guess, if there's any truth to this:
The Wii U version will come with the full roster, which is more than the 3DS complete roster.
You can connect the 3DS to the Wii U to download all the new characters.
Alternatively, you could pay for the DLC on the 3DS without needing a Wii U.

Ninten.M1

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenAlt
I'm always up for new characters and stuff, and I can't really stand the way the 3DS controls feels and not to mention it hurts my eyes, that doesn't prevent me from thinking this would bea bad idea. DLC is most likely what will happen.

Ninten.M1

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenAlt
My guess, if there's any truth to this:
The Wii U version will come with the full roster, which is more than the 3DS complete roster.
You can connect the 3DS to the Wii U to download all the new characters.
Alternatively, you could pay for the DLC on the 3DS without needing a Wii U.

It all depends on how much that DLC costs. If it's too much for certain people, they'll think it's a rip-off.

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
I say DLC costs money, but once you buy it once, you can transfer it to your other system with that button. So people don't have to buy it twice. Makes sense.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
It all depends on how much that DLC costs. If it's too much for certain people, they'll think it's a rip-off.
The DLC for Mario Kart 8 is a very good price. $12 for 16 new courses, 8 vehicles and 6 characters. I imagine Nintendo will come up with a fairly decent price if Smash 3DS or even Wii U were to get some DLC.
I say DLC costs money, but once you buy it once, you can transfer it to your other system with that button. So people don't have to buy it twice. Makes sense.
This works, too. But the way I mentioned would perhaps convince people to get the Wii U version at least a little, whereas the way you mentioned gives people no incentive to pick up a Wii U. I think right now, Nintendo wants people to pick up a Wii U (what with SNES and GBA games being exclusive to the Wii U VC when it would work perfectly on the 3DS VC). I don't think that's very convincing, but that's the level of convincingness that Nintendo seems to be aiming for.

Ninten.M1

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenAlt
Go look on Miiverse, you'll find people who think $12.00 for that much stuff is too much money.

The DLC for Mario Kart 8 is a very good price. $12 for 16 new courses, 8 vehicles and 6 characters. I imagine Nintendo will come up with a fairly decent price if Smash 3DS or even Wii U were to get some DLC.

This works, too. But the way I mentioned would perhaps convince people to get the Wii U version at least a little, whereas the way you mentioned gives people no incentive to pick up a Wii U. I think right now, Nintendo wants people to pick up a Wii U (what with SNES and GBA games being exclusive to the Wii U VC when it would work perfectly on the 3DS VC). I don't think that's very convincing, but that's the level of convincingness that Nintendo seems to be aiming for.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Go look on Miiverse, you'll find people who think $12.00 for that much stuff is too much money.
Who cares what they think? People on Miiverse think Shrek should be in Smash Bros. You'll find people who think all sorts of stuff anywhere you go.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
If this is true, which I understand why it wouldn't be, then I think the way they'll do it while still keeping their word is by putting the characters as DLC in the Eshop the same day the Wii-U version comes out that way if you don't want the Wii-U version but still want the characters you can get them and vise versa.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think that article ^ and the fact that Dixie Kong was presumably(?) found as a trophy kind of kill this rumor.
The article is legitimate, and Sakurai has voiced similar opinions elsewhere. Unless you think there's a whole web of false interviews, I suggest you accept this as fact.

Actually completely disagree. Sakurai is saying that he fundamentally wants people to "be able" to have the same experience on both. The quoted part is important, because being able to have the same characters in both is not the same as starting with the same characters in both. And I don't really believe the trophy part matters - how hard would it be to include an updated trophy description if a character is moved to a playable role?

Not definitive either way but again - I would strongly question Nintendo's business strategy if they didn't have a gimmick like this to encourage gamers to spend more on their games. It makes so much sense to give the characters for free if both 3DS and Wii U copies are owned and to offer them as paid DLC if gamers only own one or the other.
You are talking this way too far. This ain't Ace Attorney, Sakurai said something and his translator translated it to be a little less definite to avoid potential snarls later. You should be taking this by the overall wording instead of reading between the words.

Dear lord, I need to spam my link around to kill this thing before it gets out of hand and we get another "Sakurai was hinting it whah" situation.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Didn't the Japanese boxart translations kinda kill this? It's for trading customizations for your fighters, nothing more, nothing less. That's all that has ever been said about it, why do people believe it's something completely different?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Didn't the Japanese boxart translations kinda kill this? It's for trading customizations for your fighters, nothing more, nothing less. That's all that has ever been said about it, why do people believe it's something completely different?
Because they're upset over the roster and clinging to the last, dingy, glimmer of hope.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
If the others are to tell, it looks like Ridley, Lucas, and Impa should be coming soon.

I honestly hope to see Ivysaur or Pichu soon, maybe Young Link if we're lucky. Squirtle is already deconfirmed, it'd be nice to see Ivysaur's trophy.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If the others are to tell, it looks like Ridley, Lucas, and Impa should be coming soon.

I honestly hope to see Ivysaur or Pichu soon, maybe Young Link if we're lucky. Squirtle is already deconfirmed, it'd be nice to see Ivysaur's trophy.
Ivysaur's Trophy was in a PotD.

The Dream is dying...

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
RIP Mewtwo AND....

RIP Chorus Kids
http://i.imgur.com/CZJ8rMC.jpg

Safe to say, this theory is effectively null.

Speculation just to speculate only leads to this, folks. Can't say I didn't foresee it.

The japanese boxart already accounted for this. It's funny, I'm sure Lucas will be a nice trophy in the large collection of them, and Ridley will make a great pyrosphere boss as he was all but blatantly told to be.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
No reason to get your hopes up unless and until DLC is announced.

But I'm pretty sure pretty much anything goes in that case. So if it's announced, I'm not going to assume so-and-so is out of the question, since that would make the range of candidates pretty narrow.

But until then... not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
RIP Mewtwo AND....

RIP Chorus Kids

Safe to say, this theory is effectively null.

Speculation just to speculate only leads to this, folks. Can't say I didn't foresee it.

The japanese boxart already accounted for this. It's funny, I'm sure Lucas will be a nice trophy in the large collection of them, and Ridley will make a great pyrosphere boss as he was all but blatantly told to be.
I have reservations about the rumor, but I don't understand at all why people think the existence of trophies negates characters from being DLC. There is no precedent whatsoever for characters being added to Smash after the fact, and whatever rule we make up as a definitive reason for their exclusion is completely arbitrary. Hypothetically, just give any further newcomers an additional new trophy that acknowledges their DLC status in its title or relabel the old one and boom, you're done.

It's Sakurai, and it's Smash. Any rule as we assume to know it can easily be broken.

Top Bottom