• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Wolf's Up B is now is a single-hit aerial dash attack that will send foes flying in the direction which he is travelling.

Does this mean that you could meteor with it if you were suicidal? >_>

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Or up a stock and a jerk.

Wow, I was surprisingly accurate.
Seeing Wario:M in action is what originally got me following this project, so the prospect of soon going from seeing to doing has got me hyped.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
"That son of a **** told me that I would get it within three months. I save them bundles. They're crazy. I don't think I will ever get it. They betrayed me, they didn't keep their promise, they tricked me, and I don't care anymore."
Gotta love The Room.
Oh hai, Flowteau, how's your sex life?

And I never actually tried to go suicidal with Wolf, but I know that if you do it horizontally while grounded, because there is no resistance, you can get sent flying pretty far.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
You know, at the rate these character announcements are coming, I'm looking forward to "Melee Mainstay Madness Monday" next week, which reveals write-ups for four characters that debuted in either Smash 64 or Melee, with their latter styles intact.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
Just thinking of a pro-level wolf gets me hyped. Excellent work P:M Team! I hope this mod gets all the success it deserves. I think I speak for all of us when I say you're better character designers than Nintendo. Thank you for your work, we look forward to the release!

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Charizard and Wario look great...

But am I the only one who is a bit disappointed with Wolf?

Primarily, I don't think Wolf's playstyle suits him. It seems he has been made into a character that fights with attrition... which is not a good playstyle for a fastfaller because mistakes are so deadly to them.

You don't see Fox, Falco, or even C. Falcon fighting with attrition. They use powerful speed or offense to rack up damage and then pound you into formidable kill moves which are their actual moves. What I mean by actual moves is that they don't typcially use their special moves as finishers. In my opinion, Fox will always be a superior juggler to the "juggling" master Wolf is supposed to be because its his actual move (the up air) that kills the opponent and not some cleverly timed side-b or up-b which both make you helpless afterwards. Wolf's main strategy makes him helpless in teams.

Fox and Falco are both characters that can punish extremely well along with being able to seemlessly integrate much of their options to form really powerful strings for damage or KOs. I don't see that kind of playstyle with Wolf. if all of his attacks are knocking opponents upward, how will players be able to naturally use his ground smashes other than punishes?

What I am trying to say is that Wolf should play like Fox and Falco in the sense that his playstyle should be one that tears his opponents apart with a plethora of options.

And seriously... juggling? If a character has high airspeed I would immediately think to give him stronger gimp and horizontal kill options (like C. Falcon). But juggling made more sense? Hm...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How exactly does Wolf fight with attrition? He has a very powerful neutral game and when he lands a hit has effective tools for comboing. He fights with attrition no more than Fox does.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Charizard and Wario look great...

But am I the only one who is a bit disappointed with Wolf?

Primarily, I don't think Wolf's playstyle suits him. It seems he has been made into a character that fights with attrition... which is not a good playstyle for a fastfaller because mistakes are so deadly to them.

You don't see Fox, Falco, or even C. Falcon fighting with attrition. They use powerful speed or offense to rack up damage and then pound you into formidable kill moves which are their actual moves. What I mean by actual moves is that they don't typcially use their special moves as finishers. In my opinion, Fox will always be a superior juggler to the "juggling" master Wolf is supposed to be because its his actual move (the up air) that kills the opponent and not some cleverly timed side-b or up-b which both make you helpless afterwards. Wolf's main strategy makes him helpless in teams.
wolf's main strategy is killing with side-b and up-b? really lol?
he has plenty of k.o moves....sweetspot fair kills off the top, bair is a great gimp move with k.o potential, a dair meteor, and all of his smashes are reasonably strong. his shine has amazing set-up potential and his blaster grants him good stage control...so no, wolf is not a 1 trick pony.

and a "cleverly timed" side-b doesn't leave him helpless like u said

Revven

FrankerZ
I asked about this and suggested a change to it. I was told (I think by monkunit) that it was changed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I never saw Fly getting much use because it seemed too slow and didn't reach the appropriate height without being charged (and by the time it was charged, they could move out of the way)

I suggested to give it a certain limited height, and just initiate the Fly as soon as you press downb and can keep going up to the limited height for as long as you hold downb. This way, you can control the height he goes without having to take the time to charge it.

Kind of bothers me that someone like Bowser has this ability with his downb and does it better then Charizard who has the move that was solely based for this purpose.

Other then that I'm pretty hyped for wolf.
Demo v2 is your chance to prove or show evidence that Charizard's Fly, with the way it currently is set up, is less useful as a charge move. We're not going to be changing the way a character's move works that we've just announced. We're very comfortable with how all three of these characters play as well as how their moves function. Charizard's Down B is no exception, but you will have the ability to give us feedback on the move after playing with it for awhile once Demo v2 is out there and we'll take your thoughts into more consideration.

Until then, Down B is remaining unchanged.

As for Wolf, Marf, um... he is in no way forced to only combo into Side B. Really, Side B is something that's actually tricky to land after a combo if you're only starting off as playing the character. It's hardly required, but it's hugely rewarding if you do combo into it. He's not a 1 trick pony as he's largely a spacie just with a Side B as an extra offstage KO move that's both risky and flashy if you try to land it.

I don't know how you took that away from his write-up because if you've seen at all how he's played by several different people from streams or videos, you'd know he's not primarily going for Side B... there are definitely set ups for it but they're not required for Wolf to be good or for Wolf to successfully KO. As Kaizo said, he has Fair, Usmash, Dsmash, Fsmash, Bair, and Dair as KO moves, so he definitely doesn't have trouble KOing where to the point he's forced to combo into Side B. That's never been how he works.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
I'd say theyre going to announce 3 veterans considering they just announced 3 brawl newcomers. Bowser, samus, Peach :)

:phone:

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to convince myself that the more I say its Yoshi the more likely he'll be in Demo 2. I hope it's working.
Yoshi pl0x:reverse:

Debeeters

Smash Rookie
Wolf looks wonderful, super hyped to try him out. Great job guys, keep up the delightful work! These character updates are more exciting than the original Brawl Dojo updates lol.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
probably because these updates are for a game thats actually worth playing

Also because we put more worthwhile information.

Furthermore, you are all being put in a random interval conditioning schedule. You don't know when the reward will come, so it increases your response rate (checking for news), affecting the hype. Bwahahahaha!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yeah. We don't even tease the next one. One moment you'll regret stumbling onto the Brawl Competitive Forum, you'll come to the P:M thread for salvation, and then bam! Geno confirmed.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I dunno, Geno Boost was really useful and his beam attacks looked really cool. And then there's messing around with Geno Whirl's over-9000 hit, there's his characterizations and awkward speech, and how he's a living action figure with rocket parts forceful enough to KO Mario as a toy.

Ecks

Smash Lord
So Tink was one, Ike and Lucario were 2, Wario, Wolf (hell yes) and Chari were 3. Sooo... Ness, Bowser, ROB and Peach/Luigi are 4, yes?

Ok, In all seriousness, Lucas and Snake are still unconfirmed right?

:phone:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Only Demo 1 character confirmed is Mario.

..Maybe Link, too.. And Marth? I don't remember my teaser list.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
You shut your mouth.
Open yours

I dunno, Geno Boost was really useful and his beam attacks looked really cool. And then there's messing around with Geno Whirl's over-9000 hit, there's his characterizations and awkward speech, and how he's a living action figure with rocket parts forceful enough to KO Mario as a toy.
Geno Boost is only useful if you don't know the freebie timing; Geno Whirl is only useful for beating Exor; and having a nonsensically durable wooden body doesn't help Geno's case. Geno is a mediocre character with a meh background story and no valuable assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom