• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Only Demo 1 character confirmed is Mario.

..Maybe Link, too.. And Marth? I don't remember my teaser list.
Ah. I didn't notice you already explained about the demo1 characters like a page before I asked. My bad.

Anyway, so you guys don't waste time re-writing demo1 character descriptions (like Zelda for example) you could just leave the color portrait and remove the link, or just link them to a "description coming soon" page.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Anyway, so you guys don't waste time re-writing demo1 character descriptions (like Zelda for example) you could just leave the color portrait and remove the link, or just link them to a "description coming soon" page.
I doubt we'll be doing any extraneous work for Demo 1 character writeup pages. Anybody with significant work on them will receive an appropriately updated page, but we're not looking to replicate too much effort.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Will the execution for teching be like in Brawl+/Brawl- where there really isn't a fail window and you can hold the button during that window to perform a tech?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think it's 20 frames, right? It's pretty hard to fail teching though besides doing it too late.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Spoilers: ICs won't be ready for Demo 3.

Them and Olimar are likely the last to be finished due to coding issues.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's very easy to not tech when your tv has an 8 frame delay.

Between no IC's in Demo2 and no Squigly in Skullgirls I am very melancholic. Medicine Melancholic.
Eww, 8 frames? I don't really understand anything about monitor displays to know why some TVs are like that though.

phurgawtin

Smash Apprentice
Spoilers: ICs won't be ready for Demo 3.

Them and Olimar are likely the last to be finished due to coding issues.
Not to mention that Kirby will be the last character to be 100% complete, because he needs every other character to be worked on before modifying his neutral B stolen abilities.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
First of all, Skullgirls is super special awesome. Peacock ftw.

Second, the idea of on-disc "DLC" is controversial because 1. It technically isn't "downloadable content", so it's false advertising, 2. If the consumer bought the disc, he shouldn't have to pay more to get the full experience, since it's already on the disc, and 3. Capcom just lied about the discovered data. The PR guy claimed that the characters are on the Street Fighter X Tekken disc in order to facilitate online multiplayer between people who bought the extra characters and people who didn't (which, as proven with Mortal Kombat 9, is a lie...or at least terrible programming on Capcom's part.)

TL;DR: Capcom is a company that often makes bad decisions and releases good yet half-complete games in order to get more money.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I know this is a few pages late, but I don't get why people are so mad at what Capcom did, but wouldn't have cared if they made people download the characters in a few months.
I also disagree with this logic. My issue is that Capcom's making these characters tournament-ready and expect them to be used there, forcing competitive players to buy these characters.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord

Second, the idea of on-disc "DLC" is controversial because 1. It technically isn't "downloadable content", so it's false advertising, 2. If the consumer bought the disc, he shouldn't have to pay more to get the full experience, since it's already on the disc, and 3. Capcom just lied about the discovered data. The PR guy claimed that the characters are on the Street Fighter X Tekken disc in order to facilitate online multiplayer between people who bought the extra characters and people who didn't (which, as proven with Mortal Kombat 9, is a lie...or at least terrible programming on Capcom's part.)

TL;DR: Capcom is a company that often makes bad decisions and releases good yet half-complete games in order to get more money.
in capcom's defense this is the direction that the gaming market is going. microtransactions; costumes, extra characters, anything it takes to keep people paying for stuff is imperative to keeping your company afloat. the game comes with like what 50 characters? a full story single player? training mode? fully functional 4 player mode (if youre ps3), online play? thats a really ****ing good deal if you compare it to say.. marvel vs capcom 1 on dreamcast.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Skullgirls seems to be made with this mindset that it is a fighting game made for the hardcore when other fighters aren't. It looks extremely slow and campy, and it's using it's "doujin" status for all it is worth.

Stick to My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic, there's way more promise with that title.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I also disagree with this logic. My issue is that Capcom's making these characters tournament-ready and expect them to be used there, forcing competitive players to buy these characters.
So post release content should suck in order not to "force" people to buy it?

1.- They never advertised it, so it's not really false advertising.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about, unless you feel that you're paying for the DL part of DLC and not for the C, how is it any different to download it in a few months rather than unlocking it?
The most obvious part is that no one has to download a huge patch, and from Capcom's point of view they're also saving money as the won't get charged by Sony and MS for the huge patch people would download for free(everyone who didn't buy it would still download it in order to play online).

2.- Makes no sense, you don't own everything on the disc just because you bought it, you don't even own the data, you can just use it.

3.- Again makes no sense, Capcom already explained this, along with the on-disc part, for the extra costumes in SFIV, not having people download huge patches saves people time and bandwidth and it saves Capcom money.
And I have no idea what MK9 proved as I've never enjoyed the series and haven't even played MK9, so I can't really say anything about that without an explanation of what they did.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
And this is exactly what I'm talking about, unless you feel that you're paying for the DL part of DLC and not for the C, how is it any different to download it in a few months rather than unlocking it?
The most obvious part is that no one has to download a huge patch, and from Capcom's point of view they're also saving money as the won't get charged by Sony and MS for the huge patch people would download for free(everyone who didn't buy it would still download it in order to play online).
I just bought a house, and found that there's a locked door at the back of it, I ask the real estate agent what's behind the door and he answers that there's another master bedroom and bathroom. I ask where the key for it is and he tells me I need to pay another $3000 to get the key.

I already paid for the ****ing house, why the **** can't I use all of what I paid for?

The big issue with disk locked DLC is why the hell aren't they just giving it to us at release if it's already produced and ready? And why is it something as INTEGRAL to the game as CHARACTERS? Why not release costumes? stages? other cosmetic crap!

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I just bought a house, and found that there's a locked door at the back of it, I ask the real estate agent what's behind the door and he answers that there's another master bedroom and bathroom. I ask where the key for it is and he tells me I need to pay another $3000 to get the key.

I already paid for the ****ing house, why the **** can't I use all of what I paid for?

The big issue with disk locked DLC is why the hell aren't they just giving it to us at release if it's already produced and ready? And why is it something as INTEGRAL to the game as CHARACTERS? Why not release costumes? stages? other cosmetic crap!
Property != intellectual property, so there, you're analogy is wrong.

And are you seriously asking why characters when they're so integral? It's exactly because of they're integral, Capcom isn't doing anything in order to please you, they're in the business to make money, if they feel they can make more money that way, they're gonna do it(not that I like it but that's how it works).

metroid1117

Smash Master
I think it's 20 frames, right? It's pretty hard to fail teching though besides doing it too late.
In my opinion, missed techs occur mostly because people either (1) got hit right before trying to L-cancel an attack, (2) mashed L/R while trying to break out of a grab, or (3) pressed L/R during hitlag. The game primes you to tech 20 frames ANYTIME you press L/R (except during hitlag), so if you input an L-cancel and get hit, you probably won't be able to tech when you land on the ground because you'll most likely land within the 40 frame no-tech window after the initial 20 frame tech window. Likewise, I could see the same thing happening if you try to mash out of grab with L/R but ended up getting thrown anyway.

By the way, if anyone wants to read up on specific information regarding teching, I highly recommend consulting this thread, which also contains links to some of Magus' technical posts.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Property != intellectual property, so there, you're analogy is wrong.

And are you seriously asking why characters when they're so integral? It's exactly because of they're integral, Capcom isn't doing anything in order to please you, they're in the business to make money, if they feel they can make more money that way, they're gonna do it(not that I like it but that's how it works).
NeoZ, back to my points:

1. It's false advertising if they call it DLC, or at least neglect to explain that it's disc LOCKED content instead of letting the hackers figure it out themselves. Case closed.
2. The person who buys the disc is entitled to the content on the disc because it's a standard console video game; there's no product key, so there is resale value. It's software, but it's not like a PC game, in which the person who buys the game is only buying a license.
3. In Mortal Kombat 9, it's possible to play with people online who have purchased the ACTUAL DLC characters. Therefore, Capcom's explanation makes no sense.

I'll take this oppurtunity to explain that I'm not against the idea of DLC; I'm against the idea of companies lying to get out of fiascos rather than admitting their mistakes and improving.

Also, I know I shouldn't take you too seriously, NeoZ, because you're the same guy who thinks big cats aren't cats. I see little value in your opinions.

iLink

Smash Champion
Skullgirls seems to be made with this mindset that it is a fighting game made for the hardcore when other fighters aren't. It looks extremely slow and campy, and it's using it's "doujin" status for all it is worth.

Stick to My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic, there's way more promise with that title.
The ignorance is strong with this one. The game is by far more fast paced then most fighting games out right now. Not only that, I don't know where you are pulling this "doujin" thing from considering the art style is not japanese at all and is made 100% in the west.

The game's goal is almost EXACTLY the same as the PMBR's. It's taking a game like MvC2 and tweaking it to rebalance and remove all the bulls*** from it while retaining what made it fun in the first place. It does away with comeback mechanics that every fighting game seems to be so fond of lately. The game also has an anti-infinite system in place no other game uses and prevents unblockables. With this system in place, it prevents a lot of abusive tactics and allows variable assists where the player can pick any command from their character as the assist.

Not only that, the developers went out of their way to teach players with a tutor system that actually teaches you how to play fighting games and not just some combos with mission/trial modes. It goes over mixups, how to properly block, and a lot more.

Honestly if you know anything about it, it's shaping up to be the best fighting game to date.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
DLC is a method of maximizing profits in economics. Nothing more. Currently Video games have a price ceiling of $60.00, all new releses are this much money, never higher unless they are collector editions.

Companies will do it because their accountants have figured out a way to maximize profits, which is selling content later to get above the price ceiling, i.e. 60$ game plus 4 10$ DLC's = 100$. Where a game without DLC can only make a max profit of 60$ per unit.

And until a bigger figure, like the government or the ESA says DLC is a scam, we will continue to get BS like on disk DLC and 15$ COD/Battlefield map packs etc.

It makes business sense, we all just hate it and justifiably so because it's OUR money.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
NeoZ, back to my points:

1. It's false advertising if they call it DLC, or at least neglect to explain that it's disc LOCKED content instead of letting the hackers figure it out themselves. Case closed.
2. The person who buys the disc is entitled to the content on the disc because it's a standard console video game; there's no product key, so there is resale value. It's software, but it's not like a PC game, in which the person who buys the game is only buying a license.
3. In Mortal Kombat 9, it's possible to play with people online who have purchased the ACTUAL DLC characters. Therefore, Capcom's explanation makes no sense.

I'll take this oppurtunity to explain that I'm not against the idea of DLC; I'm against the idea of companies lying to get out of fiascos rather than admitting their mistakes and improving.

Also, I know I shouldn't take you too seriously, NeoZ, because you're the same guy who thinks big cats aren't cats. I see little value in your opinions.
It's not false advertising if they never advertised it, if they do it, then fine, they'd be lying.

And for 2, you just said it, it's software, I don't see where you make the magical distinction that makes it different from other software in terms of intellectual property.

And 3, please read what you just wrote, in order to play with someone who bought the character you still need to have the files, with it being on disc, you don't have download it.
So you're only "legitimate point" would've been 2, but it seems you're either flat-out wrong or just ignorant about that.

And Evilagram, think about it like this if you want an analogy: you go to a hotel and get a room, but there's a minibar inside and you have to pay for the stuff in it.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
The ignorance is strong with this one. The game is by far more fast paced then most fighting games out right now. Not only that, I don't know where you are pulling this "doujin" thing from considering the art style is not japanese at all and is made 100% in the west.

The game's goal is almost EXACTLY the same as the PMBR's. It's taking a game like MvC2 and tweaking it to rebalance and remove all the bulls*** from it while retaining what made it fun in the first place.

Honestly if you know anything about it, it's shaping up to be the best fighting game to date.
He's probably saying doujin as in indie, but I have no idea why he couldn't just say indie.
And yeah, it's a pretty fast game.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I stole your hate. All of it.

Get @ me

No, I meant Chrono Trigger. I'd expected something magical and breathtaking before trying it out. It was... mediocre at best.
I thought it was a really good game with a nice battle system and pretty great music, when did you play it? Maybe you set the bar too high inside your head?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
9K b trollin

DLC is a method of maximizing profits in economics. Nothing more. Currently Video games have a price ceiling of $60.00, all new releses are this much money, never higher unless they are collector editions.

Companies will do it because their accountants have figured out a way to maximize profits, which is selling content later to get above the price ceiling, i.e. 60$ game plus 4 10$ DLC's = 100$. Where a game without DLC can only make a max profit of 60$ per unit.

And until a bigger figure, like the government or the ESA says DLC is a scam, we will continue to get BS like on disk DLC and 15$ COD/Battlefield map packs etc.

It makes business sense, we all just hate it and justifiably so because it's OUR money.
They do it because they can get away with it. As long as consumers keep shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for DLC, they will keep doing it. Don't like it? Don't play their game.

Stevo

Smash Champion
regarding Skullgirls
you can be technically correct and use as much logic as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the graphics look anime style to many people.

the cast is pretty much all the sailor scouts with possessed hair.

inb4someonesaysSailorMoonisntanimeeither

I should mention that the game doesn't look half terrible if you are someone who likes traditional fighters I guess

9Kplus1

Smash Master
@ CC
If that were true I'd love myself. You've clearly left me some hate
I'm too nice, doo <3

I thought it was a really good game with a nice battle system and pretty great music, when did you play it? Maybe you set the bar too high inside your head?
Eh, Chrono Trigger just didn't live up to the hype that people generally give it. I'm pretty sure that many people will agree with Chrono Trigger not living up to its reputation at all; it's a good game, definitely, but doesn't really scream "OMGZ CHRONO TRIGGER IS AMAZING!!!!". The OST was pretty balls, imho. Someone needs to take lessons from the legendary Bruce Faulconer...

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Charizard, Wario, and Wolf are confirmed and then about 7+ people post how happy that they're confirmed, and then Capcom, Skullgirls, Chronic Cross/Trigger, etc. discussion takes place. Sometimes I forget what this thread was about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom