• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
9K b trollin

They do it because they can get away with it. As long as consumers keep shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for DLC, they will keep doing it. Don't like it? Don't play their game.
You're right, but a lot of people think it's their duty to rage about stuff in forums and people who think like you are "enablers".

And most likely Capcom will just avoid putting "DLC" on disk for their next releases, they'll still charge whatever they think the market will pay for it.

Rikana

Smash Champion
It's really easy. I just hold it tightly and shake my arm really fast. I've been doing it for a long time.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Charizard, Wario, and Wolf are confirmed and then about 7+ people post how happy that they're confirmed, and then Capcom, Skullgirls, Chronic Cross/Trigger, etc. discussion takes place. Sometimes I forget what this thread was about.
With the amount of off-topic discussion that goes around in this thread I got pretty used to it, at least this is a one time thing, unlike the pokemon discussions that regularly happen.

iLink

Smash Champion
To be fair, I was making a comparison with Skullgirls development and P:M's development.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
It's not false advertising if they never advertised it, if they do it, then fine, they'd be lying.

And for 2, you just said it, it's software, I don't see where you make the magical distinction that makes it different from other software in terms of intellectual property.

And 3, please read what you just wrote, in order to play with someone who bought the character you still need to have the files, with it being on disc, you don't have download it.
So you're only "legitimate point" would've been 2, but it seems you're either flat-out wrong or just ignorant about that.

And Evilagram, think about it like this if you want an analogy: you go to a hotel and get a room, but there's a minibar inside and you have to pay for the stuff in it.
1. If they said something on the lines of "Buy our DLC", then it's advertising. I don't see why you would continue to argue about this point.

2. The point is that if the person paid to use the disc, then said person SHOULD be able to use the content on the disc. It's almost like you're saying that modding games made by other developers should be illegal. With that mentality, how could you even support Project M?

3. I will try to explain this again: Mortal Kombat 9 does not require the player to buy the DLC to play with someone online who has the DLC characters. Mortal Kombat 9 has ACTUAL DLC. Makes sense to me. Capcom is claiming that their disc-locked content (as opposed to downloadable content (DLC)) allows players who don't own the additional characters to play with people who paid extra to use the disc-locked content.

Again, your arguments are poorly-thought out. You should try convincing me that I'm wrong rather than just saying I'm wrong.

Bottom line: The net difference is the same; the consumer will have to pay for disc-locked content, downloadable content, or whatever the hell you want to call it at this point. It's more of a morality issue on Capcom's part. You should watch Angry Joe's latest video on the Street Fight X Tekken fiaso if this isn't enough explanation.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
If anyone was around at the time I saw Smashmod's front page, they would have been like "Oh god, what's happening in there?!"

I was SO excited when I saw Wario (my first main in Brawl), Charizard (Part of a temporary PT main) and then Wolf (A newly picked up character) all in the same update, CONFIRMED for the second Demo.

Man, you guys know how to bring us in, don't you? Makes my inner girl squeal with delight! I can't wait to play as them all! <3

All I ask for is Marth to be a returning character, otherwise the most easily accessible person I play against won't play ;A; (I don't have many friends around, and even fewer who will actually play Smash with me).

Looking forward to it, guys. Keep up the great work!

9Kplus1

Smash Master
All I ask for is Marth to be a returning character, otherwise the most easily accessible person I play against won't play ;A; (I don't have many friends around, and even fewer who will actually play Smash with me).

Looking forward to it, guys. Keep up the great work!
Marth will more than likely be in Demo 2. With his sword length and stats having been matched to his Melee iteration, Marth is definitely a solid candidate for Demo 2. Even Shadic's gay teaser list strongly hints at Marth being in Demo 2. Just don't expect an analysis update for him anytime soon.

Man, you guys know how to bring us in, don't you? Makes my inner girl squeal with delight! I can't wait to play as them all! <3
They've been making my inner girl squeal since 2010!

NeoZ

Smash Ace
2. The point is that if the person paid to use the disc, then said person SHOULD be able to use the content on the disc. It's almost like you're saying that modding games made by other developers should be illegal. With that mentality, how could you even support Project M?

3. I will try to explain this again: Mortal Kombat 9 does not require the player to buy the DLC to play with someone online who has the DLC characters. Mortal Kombat 9 has ACTUAL DLC. Capcom is claiming that their disc-locked content (as opposed to downloadable content (DLC)) allows players who don't own the additional characters to play with people who paid extra to use the disc-locked content.
2.-How is modding the same as avoiding paying for content?

3.-You don't have to repeat the same thing over and over again(though it appears I have, you might want to work on your reading comp), in MK, you download the files, in SFxT, you don't.
There's no great programming feat in the way MK did it.
Both need you to have the files, Capcom wanted to save money so they put it on the disc, and thus they also save you time(win-win situation, except people don't always think logically).

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Well, you've said earlier that when a consumer buys a game, he doesn't actually buy the data, but instead pays for oppurtunity to use it. (Or something like that; you get what I mean.) Modidying a console game is taking the data that's in the game (regardless of whether it's supposed to be accessed by the consumer) and changing it. For example, you could use the code that disables the time limit on Brawl's game samples. Who's to say the players of SfXT wouldn't hack the game to use the locked characters? Well, that's what people did with the PC version of Mass Effect 3 (Another game that has the locked content issue).
...That's how it's relavent. That's also a brief explanation on why people don't like buying the same content twice.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys switch the order of the Wario costumes so that the classic ones come up first? It kind of looks like you did. If so, I love you

Slashy

Smash Lord
To be fair, I was making a comparison with Skullgirls development and P:M's development.
Project:M is a mod whose goal is to create a new Smash Bros. game while being faithful to Melee, it's trying moreso to be a legit sequel.

Skullgirls isn't a mod and it definitely isn't trying to replicate the engine, the movesets, or the graphics from MvC2. It still looks way slower than MvC2.

I know the Fighting is Magic devs are drawing a lot of their inspiration from Guilty Gear, but I wouldn't compare the development of Fighting is Magic at all to the Project:M. I wouldn't call Fighting is Magic a spiritual sequel to the Guilty Gear series.

Fighting is Magic is going to have an entirely original magic system which gives each character a unique a special attack that can be upgraded in a unique way for each character. The developers are testing each matchup throughly even in the alpha stages of development to prevent overpowered characters and infinites.

Maybe Fighting is Magic should be compared to Project:M, I think both games will turn out to be amazing fighters that will be overshadowed by other releases simply they both base themselves on existing licenses and may never get the attention they deserve since they're fan projects.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Well, you've said earlier that when a consumer buys a game, he doesn't actually buy the data, but instead pays for oppurtunity to use it. (Or something like that; you get what I mean.) Modidying a console game is taking the data that's in the game (regardless of whether it's supposed to be accessed by the consumer) and changing it. For example, you could use the code that disables the time limit on Brawl's game samples.
...That's how it's relavent.
If Nintendo is charging for those games(I have no idea how that works, I don't own Brawl nor a Wii) then it would be avoiding to pay for content, if they're in-game unlocks or something along those lines then it would be fine to unlock them.

It's still not what modding or PM tries to do, you still need to own the game you're modding.
If you want to include modifying files in order to avoid paying then you would consider piracy a part of modding, after all, you usually have to crack the DRM to play a pirated game and that means modifying files.

In a few words, you did this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy.

iLink

Smash Champion
Project:M is a mod whose goal is to create a new Smash Bros. game while being faithful to Melee, it's trying moreso to be a legit sequel.

Skullgirls isn't a mod and it definitely isn't trying to replicate the engine, the movesets, or the graphics from MvC2. It still looks way slower than MvC2.

I know the Fighting is Magic devs are drawing a lot of their inspiration from Guilty Gear, but I wouldn't compare the development of Fighting is Magic at all to the Project:M. I wouldn't call Fighting is Magic a spiritual sequel to the Guilty Gear series.

Fighting is Magic is going to have an entirely original magic system which gives each character a unique a special attack that can be upgraded in a unique way for each character. The developers are testing each matchup throughly even in the alpha stages of development to prevent overpowered characters and infinites.

Maybe Fighting is Magic should be compared to Project:M, I think both games will turn out to be amazing fighters that will be overshadowed by other releases simply they both base themselves on existing licenses and may never get the attention they deserve since they're fan projects.
I'm tempting to say you don't know anything about skullgirls

actually, you don't know anything about skullgirls

Skullgirl was based off MvC2 and GG. Mike Z (the game's main developer) is a seasoned GG/BB/MvC2 player that drew his ideas from them. Even filia's instant airdash LK is the exact same frames as Magneto's tridash in MvC2.

They are both trying to revive an old game that was competitively fun and balancing it. Seems like a fair comparison to me.

Not going to comment on Fighting is Magic. I've seen plenty of it to know there is definitely flaws in it but its so early in the development that I can't criticize it.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
If Nintendo is charging for those games(I have no idea how that works, I don't own Brawl nor a Wii) then it would be avoiding to pay for content, if they're in-game unlocks or something along those lines then it would be fine to unlock them.

It's still not what modding or PM tries to do, you still need to own the game you're modding.
If you want to include modifying files in order to avoid paying then you would consider piracy a part of modding, after all, you usually have to crack the DRM to play a pirated game and that means modifying files.

In a few words, you did this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy.
You're misinterpreting my point. I was just providing an example. My point is that anything in the disc is susceptible to the owner's use because he paid for the disc. You were saying that the person who bought the disc doesn't actually own everything on the disc, so Capcom's DLC method is fair. I believe that modding a game to access the locked content is fair because it's already on the disc.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
regarding Skullgirls
you can be technically correct and use as much logic as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the graphics look anime style to many people.
This is the part I don't understand. Like...the art style looks closer to really old CARTOONS to me (when TV was black and white lol).

I don't know enough about art to point out why Skull Girls doesn't look like anime at all to me, but for me it's like comparing Marvel Comics art style to anime. 0_o.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
You're misinterpreting my point. I was just providing an example. My point is that anything in the disc is susceptible to the owner's use because he paid for the disc. You were saying that the person who bought the disc doesn't actually own everything on the disc, so Capcom's DLC method is fair. I believe that modding a game to access the locked content is fair because it's already on the disc.
What about trial versions of software that are just the whole program with a time limit and can be activated to work like the full version?
Or how Microsoft puts every version of Windows 7 on the installation disc but only give you the activation code for the one you bought?
Is it fair to access those without paying?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
What about trial versions of software that are just the whole program with a time limit and can be activated to work like the full version?
Or how Microsoft puts every version of Windows 7 on the installation disc but only give you the activation code for the one you bought?
Is it fair to access those without paying?
Personally, I think computer software is a different matter entirely (seeing that it's assumed the user isn't going to sell the product after using it), but that's a topic for another day. I'm taking about Capcom's "DLC", remember?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Guys, enough with the DLC thing. See, now instead of unlocking stuff via the game, you unlock the stuff via your RL work! Virtually the same thing!

...Ironically, you can still use codes to unlock the characters, costumes, stages, gems, and whatever else hidden in the dark corners of SXT.

My Little Project Can't Be This Cute
+1

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
We did. Thank ds22 for that though.
And what happened, then? Well, in Smashville they say - that my love for Project M grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of Melee came through, and I found the strength of ten Warios, plus two!

In all seriousness, I really appreciate all the small aesthetic details you guys have put into this project; it makes it look really professional.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
This is the part I don't understand. Like...the art style looks closer to really old CARTOONS to me (when TV was black and white lol).

I don't know enough about art to point out why Skull Girls doesn't look like anime at all to me, but for me it's like comparing Marvel Comics art style to anime. 0_o.
I just thought I would drop some knowledge on you D.Sonic, since you seemed curious.

Skull Girls uses an an art style that I like to call "anime-archie fusion." I think the style was inspired by panty+staking which was in turn inspired by the power puff girls. Of course those are more heavy inc examples. Newgrounds also does a lot of work in this style.

The games theme is pretty much all 1950's America (and magic ridiculous hair) which make it easier to ignore the anime influences in the art.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Wasn't that sort of debate ended half a decade ago with Avatar: The Last Airbender? Skullgirls's art style is inspired by Japanese animation. Skullgirls is not Japanese animé. Skullgirls is awesome. There you go. Also, Peacock is more of an American style cartoon character, but she's a non-standard character design, so whatever.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Personally, I think computer software is a different matter entirely (seeing that it's assumed the user isn't going to sell the product after using it), but that's a topic for another day. I'm taking about Capcom's "DLC", remember?
So you're cherry picking examples and separating things on completely a subjective basis?
Good to know.

Wasn't that sort of debate ended half a decade ago with Avatar: The Last Airbender? Skullgirls's art style is inspired by Japanese animation. Skullgirls is not Japanese animé. SKullgirls is awesome. There you go. Also, Peacock is more of an American style cartoon character, but she's a non-standard character design, so whatever.
http://skullgirls.com/2011/04/skullgirls-artistic-origins/

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So you're cherry picking examples and separating things on completely a subjective basis?
Good to know.

http://skullgirls.com/2011/04/skullgirls-artistic-origins/
Hey, I just wanted to keep our off-topic discussion on-topic. There's an exception to everything, which is why I'd rather reserve PC software as a different topic. Now about that Skullgirls link... Okay, so there are multiple Eastern and Western influences on the art style. No surprise there.

Let's just call this a draw. It was about opinion, anyway, and there's too much to talk about in such small responses. I'm just annoyed that you would think I make no sense when you clearly don't have your statements well thought out. (On top of that, I certainly made sense, even if I didn't provide all the details.) Also, lions are totally cats. Just wanted to let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom