• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I like to imagine the PMBR has a last-resort kill switch that uploads the last version of the PM dev build somewhere and then destroys everything else

it's like an actual switch, too. like warchamp just has a massive switch beside his desk hidden under a glass casing

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that statement from prog so I can sleep tonight lol

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
if they threw a CnD, we'd have heard by now. lawyers don't have time to deal with prog hyping stuff up, y'all

at worst, it's probably just "we acknowledge it and if they try to make money off of it we'll cut them. with a rusty fork."
Agreed. Even if there were a hypothetical cease and desist, that would only halt development, and links for P:M builds would likely have to be prohibited. It'll just go from being an open thing to something like ROMs where everyone streams them on Youtube or plays them at home and as long as no one's making money off of them or screaming from mountaintops about it no one will care.

Even then since Project M is basically open-source the community could then take over development if needed, but the current build is essentially complete anyways, right?

Manatikik

Smash Rookie
It's sad to see how the industry has developed in some ways.
Too many games are just *******ized, rehashed, and all around poorly developed. Yet they sell like hotcakes.
For every Shadow of the Colossus, you have fifty Call of Duties/Maddens/*insert fifteenth sequel here* that are FAAAAAR outselling.
The people shelling out the money to develop these games don't like risks. Why take a risk on a new IP when we can just reskin the same game from last year, and hit record breaking sales? It probably costs them less money to pump out another CoD and they will make significantly more in return.
The "true" gamer audience is much smaller than the rest of the video game market. By true gamer, I mean those of us who see and experience games as you would any traditional art. It used to be that we were just about the only people buying video games. If you go back and look at the libraries of old consoles it really shows. The ratio of good games vs crap was nowhere near what it is today.
As gaming has grown we have become the minority really. Most gamers today are casual, or simply don't appreciate games in the same way we do.

And don't even get me started about how developers began to make their games for the lowest common denominator. I almost want to stop playing every game on the spot that "teaches" me how to turn the camera, jump and move around, etc.
PS2/Gamecube were the last really solid consoles to come out. The Wii was decent due to having some great titles like Super Mario galaxy, Zelda, Smash, and Mario Kart but lacked in other departments game wise. I felt like after the first couple of years they just kind of decided to switch their target market to kids/family appropriate games. Sadly (and happily) there has been a shift in the last decade of quality. deep games being pulled away from console gaming and brought fully on to PC where they can update it frequently and get an interactive solid community to work with.

I am personally hoping that Smash 4, a new Zleda, and Kingdom Hearts 3 start a new wave of amzingly good games coming out on consoles again because I believe that the individual experience and memory can be far better on a console than on a PC (That's coming from a PC only gamer besides nintendo games for the last 10sih years).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What the **** are you ******* whining about?
Even if Nintendo does serve a C&D and shuts down continued updates from the PMBR, it's not like we can't continue to play the current version. If the current version isn't good enough for you to play for the next few years, why are you playing it now? Far as I know, most peeps in this thread consider PM their favorite version of smash, why should that change just because it stops getting updates? Other smash games don't get updates, and even without a C&D PM was going to stop receiving updates at some point anyways. Why would you not treat this version like the final one in the first place?

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
1. PM at CEO would be cancelled. It'd never be at a national again. Streams might run into issues too.

2. PM had announcements planned. It's not finished.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
wow i'm doing well so far in blackjack and i'm really happy for how my family's business will do this weekend. :D
i've won a total of $118 so far! $75 from some random drawing and $43 from yesterday and today. :3c

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
What the **** are you *****es whining about?
Even if Nintendo does serve a C&D and shuts down continued updates from the PMBR, it's not like we can't continue to play the current version. If the current version isn't good enough for you to play for the next few years, why are you playing it now? Far as I know, most peeps in this thread consider PM their favorite version of smash, why should that change just because it stops getting updates? Other smash games don't get updates, and even without a C&D PM was going to stop receiving updates at some point anyways. Why would you not treat this version like the final one in the first place?
lmao no one here said anything about quitting Project M tho, so I'm not to sure where this is coming from......

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
This is the Smash 4 social thread the last few days, Ninty has got it's hype going strong even in the negative comments. Messing with the fans at this moment would just kill all the goodwill they built up recently and I think they know that.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
What the **** are you *****es whining about?
Broadcasted tournament play might become problematic.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
prog had to get outta bed and tell people to calm down on /r/smashbros because people took my fake-worries seriously

he is the penultimate disappointed dad of smash, but also what is with you people

folks they brought peachyhime in and I'm pretty sure she's never played a smash game that's not P:M competitively before, they know this mod exists don't be ridiculous

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys watch the soccer world championship? I mean, no one was talking about it although it started today, I was already wondering. Seems to not be a big deal in US. Like around here half the population is watching.
I usually do not care that much about soccer, but I tend to watch the world and european championship. Every 2 years, so to speak.
im american, therefore i dont care about soccer

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought they were protesting that soccer thing

I have relatives who lived a long time in Brazil

It sounded like it sucked there

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
CT Zero said:
EDIT: Guys, really sad to say this but the announcement I planned to reveal during this AMA can't be done now. HOWEVER, this is incredibly exciting and awesome for me and the scene. I hope that this goes well and that I can announce it later on.
Whatever it is, It's probably good.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
lmao no one here said anything about quitting Project M tho, so I'm not to sure where this is coming from......
That's the point, if nobody is quitting then a C&D isn't the end of PM, why would you worry about it so?

Also Nintendo isn't gonna bother stopping individual tournaments for PM at that point since that requires them to have notice of it ahead of time and serve a new C&D to the TOs for each tourney. They'll probably consider it said and done having killed additional updates and distribution of the mod.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yo guys what if Nintendo does a Capcom and recognize PM as a official game kinda like how Megaman vs SF was officially recognize by Capcom 2 years ago even though it's a fan made game and host a PM type cup of some sort? How will you nerds feel then?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Even if Nintendo does serve a C&D and shuts down continued updates from the PMBR, it's not like we can't continue to play the current version.
Didn't you watch The Smash Pros about the time that Nintendo personally sent out agents to steal and destroy every single copy of Brawl on Earth?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Serious time
When you guys are idling in the shower, like just standing there not doing anything, do you face TOWARDS the showerhead or AWAY from it? Pls answer my poll: http://strawpoll.me/1898579
Because like in movies, people are always standing TOWARDS it, head down, letting the water run over them, usually with an arm pressed up against the wall. I always thought this was just a movie thing. For style. Want to be sure.
Toward the showerhead.
I get more catharsis while grieving if the water is cleansing directly. Besides, the shower is where I get most of my inner issues aired out, to myself at least.

As for why I do most of it there?
No one needs my doubts on their conscience; they're called PERSONAL issues for a reason, and people are already on hair triggers as is.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
honestly nintendo could kill project m if they really wished. release an hd melee remake on the wii u store and balance everyone and ta-da we have an official melee 2.0 that is balanced. I mean project m's audience would never completely fade away but an official melee remix would basically cut the scene for PM in half

Top Bottom