• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
are you saying that because you're in school still? are you not willing to just take it if you get hired?

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah I'm still in school at the moment, I just finished my first year.
It'd be great to get my foot in the door right away, but my priority right now is on my 3d modelling and my demo reel. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered, because that's what's going to get me hired later on. This job is guaranteed to be relatively short term anyways.

Geist

Smash Master
^Hi Aly lol

So I more or less finalized the first of my concepts for that Skyrim weapons/armor mod, and then fit it on a character.
I actually think this turned out well.

Step it up Aly

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Bren 2 gud.

Remember us little people when youre famous, dude

....MY ROOMMATE MOVED OUT RANDOMLY TODAY O__o
She owns the microwave TT__TT
Welp, time to order some Chinese instead of being able to make nice dinners. Mehhhh.
Luckily, parents are bringin me stuff tomorrow. INCLUDING A MICROWAVE!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Well that's annoying. Oh well, at least you got the room to yourself... assuming you like that sort of thing.

Geist, I wish you'd start coloring these things in lol. Amazing line art though.

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
Hey that picture looks almost as nice as the one I'm doing Bren ;D

Bren 2 gud.

Remember us little people when youre famous, dude

....MY ROOMMATE MOVED OUT RANDOMLY TODAY O__o
She owns the microwave TT__TT
Welp, time to order some Chinese instead of being able to make nice dinners. Mehhhh.
Luckily, parents are bringin me stuff tomorrow. INCLUDING A MICROWAVE!
Maaaaaaaan my first roommate somehow snuck out in the middle of the night with all of his stuff, including a queen sized bed, workdesk and a computer. THROUGH HIS SECOND STORY WINDOW. Didn't even pay damage deposit or that month's rent or anything. >:/
To this day it remains a mystery of how I didn't wake up through the whole ordeal. He must have hired moving ninjas. Very expensive service I hear.

Geist

Smash Master
Maaaaaaaan my first roommate somehow snuck out in the middle of the night with all of his stuff, including a queen sized bed, workdesk and a computer. THROUGH HIS SECOND STORY WINDOW. Didn't even pay damage deposit or that month's rent or anything. >:/
To this day it remains a mystery of how I didn't wake up through the whole ordeal. He must have hired moving ninjas. Very expensive service I hear.
I like to think he was kidnapped by the illuminati

[collapse="misquote"]
I'm doing Bren ;D
sorry hun I had to
you walked right into it[/collapse]

neous

Smash Journeyman
falcon punching someone is one way of catching up.

also look at that dream catcher.
its like geist is saying
you'll need a dream catcher if you dream of catching up, or something.
:O
:D :D :D :D

im serious though.
:D

Geist

Smash Master
Thanks again Chok :3

lol the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that one of the best aspects of an art school is the surrounding competition. For me at least. I never had competition where I came from, so I kinda stagnated for a few years, but now all my friends are not only really good, but competitive with each other as well.

It definitely helps push us a lot further.

Side note: Tutorials are fun to make, I'll be doing more of them when I can manage :D

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
School... kicking... my...***! >.> Haven't drawn much besides a couple class doodles that suck, but I guess most doodles end up terrible anyway. Something to do to prevent myself from falling asleep during lecture, haha.

Damn son, I wish I could create costumes like that. My mind just can't think of little things to add to clothes. I know clothes can have colored pattern or threading patterns, but I can't do anything of that; it just ends up looking like scribbles haha. I would never know how to draw a dream catcher w/o reference. Good ****!

Like promised:

Good tutorial. I try to do these lined pose sketches when I start out. I notice I do some things wrong though - sometimes I don't end up following them, and an arm will be longer or something. The other thing I do wrong is when line sketching from different angles. I know where the shoulders go or the rib cage or the waist, but I don't know what it should look like from a different angle, say bottom up or top looking down deviated at a 45* angle or something. I guess this kinda has something to do with foreshortening?

Also, I still kinda paint stuff on the body- ie you said not to draw clothes to the direct border of the pose outline or else you get a painted effect... So that's why it looks like my jackets don't wrap around to the back XD I FAIL IT!

How bout some line sketch poses from different angles and how to draw faces at angles ya? I have a book that teaches how to draw faces at angles - lookin up will have shorter forehead and bigger chin and stuff, but I'm still having trouble with it. It's not a high quality book either. Had a friend that used to want to learn to draw anime, but he gave up and gave me his book - this was about 7 years ago >.>

Geist

Smash Master
Damn son, I wish I could create costumes like that. My mind just can't think of little things to add to clothes. I know clothes can have colored pattern or threading patterns, but I can't do anything of that; it just ends up looking like scribbles haha. I would never know how to draw a dream catcher w/o reference. Good ****!
Who said I didn't use reference? ;D I studied my dreamcatcher lol
Reference is super important and industry people rely on it heavily, you'd be surprised how many of those awesome environment concepts you see almost completely ripped their perspective and color palettes from photos.
Spoiler: A looot of them.

Though I do think now that I studied a dreamcatcher while I drew it that I'd be able to do it without reference.
Good tutorial. I try to do these lined pose sketches when I start out. I notice I do some things wrong though - sometimes I don't end up following them, and an arm will be longer or something. The other thing I do wrong is when line sketching from different angles. I know where the shoulders go or the rib cage or the waist, but I don't know what it should look like from a different angle, say bottom up or top looking down deviated at a 45* angle or something. I guess this kinda has something to do with foreshortening?
Yeah man, I feel you. Life drawing was the hardest class for me until I finally 'got it'. I had a really amazing teacher that kind of opened my eyes to a lot stuff, and whenever I write these tutorials I feel like I'm his apostle preaching to you guys xD
I could probably write a book about brilliant **** he says, but it's one thing to read this stuff and another to actually sit down and do stuff as you're being properly critiqued. Actually putting in the time and effort is unfortunately the only way to get that knowledge you know applied, and that's the hardest part.
It's aaaalllll experience.
Also, I still kinda paint stuff on the body- ie you said not to draw clothes to the direct border of the pose outline or else you get a painted effect... So that's why it looks like my jackets don't wrap around to the back XD I FAIL IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg
If it helps, next time avoid straight lines. They're ugly and gross.
How bout some line sketch poses from different angles and how to draw faces at angles ya? I have a book that teaches how to draw faces at angles - lookin up will have shorter forehead and bigger chin and stuff, but I'm still having trouble with it. It's not a high quality book either. Had a friend that used to want to learn to draw anime, but he gave up and gave me his book - this was about 7 years ago >.>
Sure thing, you can look forward to seeing that next. :D
Edit: Maybe I'll do a gesture tutorial after that one.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
On the subject of fashion - FASHION MAGAZINES.

Awkward to purchase, but they can be an invaluable resource to learning the drapery of clothing as it sits on the figure in a variety of poses. And also help in designing stylish wadrobes as you have references.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
On the subject of fashion - FASHION MAGAZINES.

Awkward to purchase, but they can be an invaluable resource to learning the drapery of clothing as it sits on the figure in a variety of poses. And also help in designing stylish wadrobes as you have references.
Heh heh, that's true. Maybe this links to my terrible sense of fashion.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I don't have that problem :awesome: hurdurdurdur

References are mad important though. Doing concept art for some friends...and I have to restudy a bunch of stuff I learned in history/art history to find Greek fashion or different aspects of that culture. The internet is a blessing.

neous

Smash Journeyman
i didnt want to post in this thread until i had something that had more time put into it, like aly suggested / commanded i do. but, this place is pretty ghostly so

so far neon expressed interest in helping me out in a school thingy. i wont be asking for much so, if anyones mildy interested in lending their time lemme know.

i just noticed a
wink
blink
pattern in my above collage lol. going to have to use that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think my problem is, I can't ever figure out how to draw parts of the body at the angles I want.

I try to form my own body to mimick the desired positions, but I can only see so much.

I need to find a model.

Would it be cheating to take a picture of someone and sketch over it a "Stick figure" to show proportions of how to do certain angles?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Guise...I can gesture draw consistently now. It's magical
AND NOW MY PICTURES ARE DYNAMIC! SHABAM!

Too bad my scanner doesnt wanna work and I left my tablet cord back at home in Cleveland TT__TT WAHHHH

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
wait...uhm....trouble understandin' (im running on little sleep because of apple cider before bed)
do you want to critique mah work or the other way around? XP

Not yet xP Sculpture and drawing for GAD. It's helping gestures....since homework is to just do quick gesture sketchies

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
K jus makin sure xD Im literally going insane atm...so i have to double check what everyone says. or else bad things happen

Why is internet slow?

FFFFUUU-

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I agree. Drawing with pen is a nice way to improve line confidence since there's no eraser to fall back on in my opinion. Plus sometimes pen just looks nicer/more finished than graphite lol.

I just noticed, what in the world did ZIO do this time?

Top Bottom