• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

neous

Smash Journeyman
i was working on my self portrait. but i misplaced it.

so i searched my pc for "self"

so many questionable pictures, o dear. i wish i knew of posemaniacs earlier.

*global, its supposed to be a scyther with a ninja turtle color/ bandana
slicing a pizza.
i guess i failed lol

global you fool.
you dont ever have to apologize to me

neous

Smash Journeyman
you all seem like busy people but

does anyone have a stream or something

or some other medium or vehicle in which i can obs you art???

i really wanna see someone make DOPE **** while i try and study. :O

i sadly dont know anyone in rl who arts, let alone would entertain me with arts as i study :/

edit? no? ok.

Geist

Smash Master
lol
When my semester starts back up I'll see how busy I am. If all goes according to plan I should have enough time to do a livestream while I paint stuff every once in a while.
It's also possible I could record stuff too I guess

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My wordless comic is mentally exhausting. I've done a mock design for 7 pages in

One of the reasons I don't do major projects often, it's boring since I haven't even gotten to the story yet.

8 pages of character development...I don't know if there is even an audience that could appreciate this sort of thing

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
My wordless comic is mentally exhausting. I've done a mock design for 7 pages in

One of the reasons I don't do major projects often, it's boring since I haven't even gotten to the story yet.

8 pages of character development...I don't know if there is even an audience that could appreciate this sort of thing
I'm not a veteran author by any means, but it seems like instead of saying, "I'll develop characters in this many pages, then develop the story in this many pages" it would be better to have them both develop in unison. I dunno, might make it less boring for you to write if that's the issue. If you don't mind, I think it'd be nice to see a few pages once you have them laid out, we can offer some feedback :bee:

Also, it's my personal belief that there's an audience for anything you can think of, no matter how small, as long as it's presented well. The toughest part is figuring out the presentation/communication of the idea.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's just that I'd really wanted there to be a thread on it, that I hadn't discovered and I could read some stuff :x.

I'd rather see it having its own topic, but I don't think there's that much interest for general art discussion, not made by yourself.

Neon Ness

General art discussion is too vague, I'm not understanding why that can't be discussed here... I mean, it already is discussed in here.

This is a thread made by Yink for general art terms and such: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260517

And for inspiration we have: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175790 Come to think of it I need to clean up some of those dead links, but as far as art not made by us, that's the place to talk about who we admire. It was mostly sigs at first which is why it's in that subforum, but any inspiring work can be posted.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I think I'm the only one who doesn't take a liking towards Neous's art. It's nothing personal, it's just the style that I can't really stand. I think the thing that puts me off is the white against black pixels with the bright yellow etcetera, after which it feels like my eyes are being burned out. The contrasts are so heavy and... pixelated.

But that's my opinionino.

neous

Smash Journeyman
this thread could use some general art discussion. as of late its been my dumping grounds for ****

you're not the only one who thinks my stuff is *** gustave. [but thanx brosuke]

im going thru a "_ - bit" / mspaint phase. but it think this "phase" will become a 'main' style, because ionno, i just rly like the oldschool aesthetic mixed with w/e it it is my 'style' is/was originally

i used to do stuff like this before mspaint [graffish stuff, girls, penicl/marker etc]

then after this:

i started doing

and now we have

my style is kinda dirty, regardless of "phase"

anyway, your opinion is VERY valid gustave.

* oh and psycho, if its feeling more like work than fun, just take a break and go back to it. after mentioning it, im sure people in this thread are now looking forward to what u came up with, to tease us with the prospect, and then not deliver anything, is kinda sad for us.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Saw you drew Bowser.

Thought I'd do a quick mock up.

I could never give bowser a menacing look. I want him to have one, tho.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a veteran author by any means, but it seems like instead of saying, "I'll develop characters in this many pages, then develop the story in this many pages" it would be better to have them both develop in unison. I dunno, might make it less boring for you to write if that's the issue. If you don't mind, I think it'd be nice to see a few pages once you have them laid out, we can offer some feedback :bee:

Also, it's my personal belief that there's an audience for anything you can think of, no matter how small, as long as it's presented well. The toughest part is figuring out the presentation/communication of the idea.
No, I've got the whole story "Written" out overall.

It just turned out to be 8 pages at the beggining

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
@Neous
I'd like to see you devote a lot of time to a single piece artwork, just to see what you're really capable of, since I see you whip out these sweet drawings like 5 times a day. Unless you're one of those people that has no attention span and actually does worse when they have more time :/
lol

@psycho
dialogue-free comics escape me lol. I find them so hard to do well. Do you think you could show a sample? :D

@Zio
Bowser's too adorable to be menacing >:3

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No.

I want Bowser to feel like a threat. In game, visually and personally. He looks like he could play the part in Smash Bros games, but in actual mario games? Nope. He feels like a joke.

:c

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No.

I want Bowser to feel like a threat. In game, visually and personally. He looks like he could play the part in Smash Bros games, but in actual mario games? Nope. He feels like a joke.

:c
New super mario bros was kind of freaky watching him burn to death in lava

neous

Smash Journeyman
ok ill try aly.

zio, take a look at the human skull.

its menacing qualities, i think, hav been used by us humans in developing lore of demons and scary things [mosnters, aliens, etc]. try studying it for a bit, determine what qualities about it u think are menacing, and then try to work in those qualities into a face or a bowser.

or, you could try scowling in a mirror like i do, and then try to draw inspiration from that.

but thats just my uneducated opinion

GEIST GIVE US SOME PRO TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THINGS LOOK MENACING.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm fairly certain I know what a skull looks like. It's not like I didn't study the skeletal figure, nor have a medical book on the human figure. :I

It's just not in my style to make things look evil. That's all.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Like I said, it was a mock up.

I didn't put but ten minutes into that. .-.

I'll give it a go on my notebook and see how things turn out.

neous

Smash Journeyman
:I face = salt?

its not in your style, but you're clearly displaying a desire to make bowser look menacing.

ok so you have the apparent knowledge then of what is menacing,
because patterns of the menacing and death-ly qualities associated with human skeletal remains can be observed in monster/demon/evil incarnation -related dogma across cultures.
simply put, u know skull bonez, then you know menacing.

you know what is menacing. now its a matter of application. so dust off that medical book.
with a strategic approach, you can make it look menacing.

you have the apparent technical ability.
apply it.
or you can just john. [apologies to geist, i know how much u like john]

*edit

what i was trying to get at is...
that association you mention, psycho, that coupled with the fact that zio studied skeletons already...
it makes perfect sense that 'it' would be an easy way to try an incorporate menacing qualities into his paint/drawings.

that and, artistic creativity i think isnt a problem here, considering its zio.
i was just providing an alternative strategy to whatever it was he WAS doing that resulted in results that he wasnt satisfied with.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think skeleton's look silly, rather than menacing and require artistic creativity to make them look menacing.

The thing that's scary about skulls is it's association with death and a reminder of our mortality. It's the symbolism around it, not specifically how it looks

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, I'm pretty sure neo was being sarcastic. As the evil/menacing look doesn't correlate to knowing the skull/human figure and vice versa.

:sadsheep:

Geist

Smash Master
Naw you can totally make things look menacing without using skull anatomy.
It actually goes all the way back into the golden section, but I won't go into lengths with that.

In order to make bowser more menacing in that pic zio, you'll need more brow wrinkling on the forehead and on the bridge of the nose, more nostril flare, and lower eyebrows.

beat me to it

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That red skull is totally silly, look at that hilariously large grin.

Also, I acknowledged the human skull can be made to look menacing with a little creativity, but the actual picture of the skull looks silly. Looks like it's got some kind of goofy grin

Neon Ness

It's like, why do I even try to take notes in class?
Yeeessss

Sometimes the best drawings come from being distracted during lectures. It sounds bad lol but it's so true. On occasion I'll look through old notes for inspiration and find something cool I had forgotten about.

I can't even tell what class that's supposed to be from those notes.

neous

Smash Journeyman
would it be too much to ask

if i asked

could you please share your notes here whenever you have the time?

lol @ the meno. and the frog. and i dont even like ponies, but wow with that pika.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do post random sketches and stuff here sometimes already, but I guess I could "share my notes" more too.

I can't even tell what class that's supposed to be from those notes.
It's just a general philosophy class.

Current subject is epistemologyboring.

Top Bottom